This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] Harmony Hub App (v1.0.4)

Comments

• Hi @brinkie (and the rest),

But I did notice that my Harmony Remote was having issues talking to the Harmony Hub. Commands didn't or barely get through. I got messages saying that I should move my remote closer to the hub, which is strange as there is max 3 meters between them and it has never been an issue. Putting the remote close to the Hub did not solve a thing. When I switched Homey off everything was working fine again. Restarting Homey again resulted in the same: connection problems :disappointed: 
    I got the same issue since firmware 0.8.30. I was already suspecting that Homey was causing some issue with my Harmony Hub but didnt have time to troubleshoot it. This confirms it but I will do some testing myself later on. Could it be the app is overloading the Harmony Hub over wifi. What I notice is that the Hub loses it wifi connection a lot.
  • After reading the stories from everyone i will wait with installing the app and use it when it is fixed
  • Hm, yesterday my remote was acting pretty laggy also.  Didn't think it could be linked to the Homey :)
    Today I didn't have any problems anymore.
  • brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi @brinkie (and the rest),

My story with the Harmony app so far isn't a pleasant one disappointed And that's too bad because for me the Harmony app would have been a major plus for the Homey. 
    First time I installed it, the installation hang. Uninstalling and reinstalling did work (this was 2 weeks ago).
    I managed to get 1 activity working. But shortly after it didn't seem to connect to the Harmony Hub anymore (and new flows could not be created; a known issue, I know).
    I left the app alone for a week and didn't try to get it to work (there were still flows using Harmony Hub app, but afaik they have not been triggered). But I did notice that my Harmony Remote was having issues talking to the Harmony Hub. Commands didn't or barely get through. I got messages saying that I should move my remote closer to the hub, which is strange as there is max 3 meters between them and it has never been an issue. Putting the remote close to the Hub did not solve a thing. When I switched Homey off everything was working fine again. Restarting Homey again resulted in the same: connection problems disappointed 
    After I removed the Harmony Hub app the Harmony Hub seems to work again. With this I think I have pinpointed the issue to the Harmony Hub app. 

I understand that there are issues with the temporary storage preventing the app from being installed again. I will wait with reinstalling after these issues have been resolved. If there is anything I can do to help to find the cause of this, please let me know, I'm happy to help.

With kind regards,

Roel van den Berge

Sorry for the bad experience you're currently having Roel (from Nijmegen by any chance?). Some of the issues you're referring to can be directly linked to open Homey issues. One in particular I find interesting is the one where the Harmony app causes your remote to not work anymore.

Due to the open Homey issues it's currently extra hard to pinpoint issues and resolve them. I myself am also waiting for Homey to become (more) stable again. So don't expect anything soon. Once Homey becomes more stable again, I will pick up and go through this thread, one issue at a time. Thanks for reporting.

• I do get some unreachable errors every know and then. Anyone recognize their Hub's IP-address?

A crash occurred for your app (version 0.3.1) at Apr 19, 2016 5:54 AM.

Crash report:
    Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 192.168.0.127:5222 at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:870:11) at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:893:20) at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1061:14)

• My Hub just fell off the wifi network completely, it refuses to connect to anything, using any router. I've ordered a replacement.

The unreachable hub above this post isn't mine by the way :)
  • brinkie said:

I do get some unreachable errors every know and then. Anyone recognize their Hub's IP-address?

Crash report:
    Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 192.168.0.127:5222 at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:870:11) at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:893:20) at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1061:14)

Yup, that's mine. As mentioned, my Hub looses WiFi now and then. I'm not sure if that is related to the remote becoming unresponsive or if it has been doing that even before I got my Homey. So this error might not be related to the remote becoming unresponsive.

I do wonder why the Harmony app is contacting my hub at that time as I have not done anything with my Homey lately. It kinda supports my theory that the Harmony app might be flooding the Hub with requests making the remote become unresponsive (another uneducated guess is that Homey conflicts with the rf frequency of the remote but this would have caused issues from the first time that Homey was connected).
  • Phuturist said:
    brinkie said:

I do get some unreachable errors every know and then. Anyone recognize their Hub's IP-address?

Crash report:

Yup, that's mine. As mentioned, my Hub looses WiFi now and then. I'm not sure if that is related to the remote becoming unresponsive or if it has been doing that even before I got my Homey. So this error might not be related to the remote becoming unresponsive.

I do wonder why the Harmony app is contacting my hub at that time as I have not done anything with my Homey lately. It kinda supports my theory that the Harmony app might be flooding the Hub with requests making the remote become unresponsive (another uneducated guess is that Homey conflicts with the rf frequency of the remote but this would have caused issues from the first time that Homey was connected).
    The Harmony app does check the current activity of the Hub on a regular basis (every 5 seconds), but also closes its connection right after that.
  • I guess this polling could very well cause a performance issue with the Hub that in it's turn make the remote commands unresponsive. It's kinda strange though that I only started having this issue after the update to 0.8.30. I'll disable the app for now to see of it solves my problem with the remote (and hopefully increase the WAF).
  • Seems that any repetitive thing Homey does suffocates it over time. 
  • brinkie said:Sorry for the bad experience you're currently having Roel (from Nijmegen by any chance?). 
    Yes, that's me :smile: If I'm well-informed we will be neighbours (across the street) soon :)

The 5 seconds polling sounds like a plausible cause for the malfunction of the Harmony Hub. Guess it's not well protected against DDoS'ing :wink: I can imagine this poses an issue because you want the reading of the current activity to be near-realtime.

I'm with you in waiting for a more stable Homey. I like toying around with this stuff but ultimately I want it to work without much hassle :smile: 

• AlwinDocterAlwinDocter Member
    edited April 2016
    Tried to add a flow to watch tv. 

Tried that 2 weeks ago and then it popped up with all my activities. By now it doesn't do that and when adding the card "Start an Activitiy" I get the option to select a device. Nothing that I add in this works. Does it has to do with the bug that is described before in the thread or do I do something wrong?

Ah, missed the step to add the hub, but then have the same issue as described before that the spinning wheel keeps rolling when trying to find my hub
  • phbphb Member
    Still can't  install  the  app 
  • I suppose you're not on the new .31 firmware that fixes this problem, since it hasn't been released? :)
    You'll have to wait like the rest of us then :wink: 
  • phbphb Member
    Ok thx  for  the  info Fire69
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    My hub seems to lose connection to the Homey from time to time, after reinstalling the app and readding the Harmony it works for one day but if I try to add another Flow the next day, it does not let me select any activity's with the "then" flow.

Anyone else that has this problem?

Hub is working fine, it has a Wifi connection and is accessible by the mobile app.
  • BasPostBasPost Member
    edited April 2016
    After 0.8.32 installed automatically, I could finally download the Harmony app, but as experienced by others, I had to delete and reinstall the Harmony app, before the app discovered my Harmony Hub.
    Now I want to build flows, but I can not get the "start an activity" card in the "Then" field. The only card which I can use is "Activity Changed".  
    After deleting and reinstalling and rebooting multiple times, the issue remains...  
    What to do?
  • p0nts said:
    My hub seems to lose connection to the Homey from time to time, after reinstalling the app and readding the Harmony it works for one day but if I try to add another Flow the next day, it does not let me select any activity's with the "then" flow.

Anyone else that has this problem?

Hub is working fine, it has a Wifi connection and is accessible by the mobile app.
    the same is hapening here
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2016
    There are 2 different "Harmony" devices in you devices list.
    Trigger = in the "Apps" Section
    Then = in the "Devices" Section
  • brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited April 2016
    caseda said:
    There are 2 different "Harmony" devices in you devices list.
    Trigger = in the "Apps" Section
    Then = in the "Devices" Section

Thank you :). I was about to write the exact same thing.

The reason there are two cards is, that you can have multiple Hubs. Each hub has it's own device card (under the "Devices" section), but when an Activity Changed it could be on any of your Hubs. Therefor we need a separate card for that (under the "Apps" section).

• @caseda Thanks man for the quick reply! So stupid of me. Didn't know that there are 2 devices. It works!
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    Now that I'm on .32, I managed to install the app, find my hub, and create flow cards without any problems.
    Looking good so far! Thanks for doing such an amazing job on this app!

One small question... would it be possible to have a generic command like 'start activity' and 'stop activity' (or 'activity on/off'), to which you don't have to assign a specific activity?
    For example, flow cards like this:
    If [you said anything]  and [text contains "Start Activity] then [Activate Activity {"Start Activity"}, {text}]
    If [you said anything]  and [text contains "Stop Activity] then [Deactivate Activity {"Stop Activity"}, {text}]

So: I would say  "Start Activity TV", Homey would recognize [Start Activity]  and trigger the app with the activity trigger as well as the complete text, and the app would determine that there is indeed an activity called "TV" and start it
    Then we wouldn't have to create multiple flow steps for every single activity in the Harmony hub.
    Would anything like that be possible?

• brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited April 2016
    Bumblez said:
    Now that I'm on .32, I managed to install the app, find my hub, and create flow cards without any problems.
    Looking good so far! Thanks for doing such an amazing job on this app!

One small question... would it be possible to have a generic command like 'start activity' and 'stop activity' (or 'activity on/off'), to which you don't have to assign a specific activity?
    For example, flow cards like this:
    If [you said anything]  and [text contains "Start Activity] then [Activate Activity {"Start Activity"}, {text}]
    If [you said anything]  and [text contains "Stop Activity] then [Deactivate Activity {"Stop Activity"}, {text}]

So: I would say  "Start Activity TV", Homey would recognize [Start Activity]  and trigger the app with the activity trigger as well as the complete text, and the app would determine that there is indeed an activity called "TV" and start it
    Then we wouldn't have to create multiple flow steps for every single activity in the Harmony hub.
    Would anything like that be possible?

You're Welcome :)! With the improved speech engine this should be possible. I'm not sure on the current status, but I'll definitely look into it!
  • phbphb Member
    @brinkie  thx for the app hub is working very well !!
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    Hmm... do activities that are triggered from this app, not trigger the 'activity changed' event? I was trying to set up a generic audio feedback, but that doesn't appear to work...

[Edit] never mind... after a reboot, it's working now. Just not when I trigger 'turn off all devices' ... is that correct?
  • I just got the Hub, installed it, works perfectly!

Except one thing, I have one activity 'Watch TV' and I can enable this via a flow.
    Why can't I disable it via the flow? The hub thinks the activity already is active when I manually turn the devices off.
  •  :(thuijbers said:
    I just got the Hub, installed it, works perfectly!

Except one thing, I have one activity 'Watch TV' and I can enable this via a flow.
    Why can't I disable it via the flow? The hub thinks the activity already is active when I manually turn the devices off.
    You can turn everything off by choosing card 'Turn off all devices'. 

With version 0.8.32 I am able to install without problems and I can create multiple flows (dropdown with activities now works for more than 1 card, yay!). The flows worked great! Worked, because I had to uninstall the Harmony App because the remote became unresponsive again. The hammering of the hub is unfortunately still an issue :(
  •  :(thuijbers said:
    I just got the Hub, installed it, works perfectly!

You can turn everything off by choosing card 'Turn off all devices'. 

With version 0.8.32 I am able to install without problems and I can create multiple flows (dropdown with activities now works for more than 1 card, yay!). The flows worked great! Worked, because I had to uninstall the Harmony App because the remote became unresponsive again. The hammering of the hub is unfortunately still an issue :(
    Thanks! Will try that
  • spoellyspoelly Member
    edited April 2016
    @brinkie is the app only checking every 5 sec when the a flow with the option when an activity is changed is active? 
  • spoelly said:
    @brinkie is the app only checking every 5 sec when the a flow with the option when an activity is changed is active? 
    No, I was not using that card but still experienced the remote becoming unresponsive because of these request. I have not tested it with 0.8.32 but this issue seems unrelated to the Homey firmware. It would be nice to make this a setting in the Harmony Hub app so you can change the frequency to something that does not kill the remote functionality.