This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] Harmony Hub App (v1.0.4)

Comments

• Same error here, but the app works just fine.
  • I already rapported that issue on github, see: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/355

@brinkie I think the app also leaks memory. This week my Homey was stuttering while trying to talk, this was new behavior after installing the Harmony hub app. So I tested if speech would become normal again if I uninstalled the app and this worked, I already have done this multiple times and after the uninstall Homey speaks normal again. I also noticed that the free memory becoming available was huge so it seems like the app is leaking memory somewhere.
  • I already rapported that issue on github, see: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/355

@brinkie I think the app also leaks memory. This week my Homey was stuttering while trying to talk, this was new behavior after installing the Harmony hub app. So I tested if speech would become normal again if I uninstalled the app and this worked, I already have done this multiple times and after the uninstall Homey speaks normal again. I also noticed that the free memory becoming available was huge so it seems like the app is leaking memory somewhere.
    Interesting. I do know the app uses a bit more memory than some other (maybe less complex) apps. A memory leak, as you say, would mean memory consumption of the App would increase over time. I haven't seen such behaviour yet. Do you happen to have the Developer Tools available on the "Settings" page? That would give you insight in exact memory consumption per app. My Homey hasn't shown memory increase over time for the Harmony Hub app, so I can't confirm that the app would leak memory.

Maybe you are experiencing this behaviour because of another problem. Do you have many flows with voice triggers relying on the "You said something" card plus a logic filter? 
  • I have the stuttering too, I'll do some testing today. 
    Unfortunately I don't have the developer tools... Wonder how we can get those to show up. 
  • Just checked (got the developer tools working :) ), the Harmony app uses around 60MB, same as your iCal2Voice app.
    Seems to be pretty stable.  I'm going to reboot Homey to see how much memory is used after booting.
  • I've had the speech stutter even with no apps installed - I can't predict when it happens. Running a simple "Say hello" flow a couple of times usually fixes it. For a while.

It's been mentioned before, but what was the verdict on the amount of Freemem? When it drops to ~4MB, does that mean the OS has built up a nice amount of cache? CPU load doesn't suffer.
  • I did some testing today. The Harmony Hub app uses a maximum of around 50 Mb (RSS) of memory on my desktop. In order for the app to work on my desktop I only removed the Homey function calls. The app does not seem to leak any memory on my desktop however the 60Mb memory usage my Homey indicates is also never reached which is odd.
  • I don't have this app installed but today homey indeed had some stuttering while speaking. So I guess it is not directly related to the app. 
  • EdTstEdTst Member
    After a few reboots I was able to use the app despite the install error.
  • brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited March 2016
    Announcement

Version 0.3.1 has been published to the AppStore.

- Better error handling/bubbling.

This update should prevent a lot of app crashes by bubbling exceptions to the surface (flow card) instead of throwing them causing crashes. 
  • brinkie said:
    by bubbling exceptions to the surface (flow card)
    Is that something we can see somewhere?
  • Fire69 said:
    brinkie said:
    Flows that fail show a Red triangle with an exclamation mark on the flow card. Hovering it with your mouse reveals the error.
  • brinkie said:
    Fire69 said:
    brinkie said:
    Flows that fail show a Red triangle with an exclamation mark on the flow card. Hovering it with your mouse reveals the error.
    Aha, nice! :)
  • EdTstEdTst Member
    I must say that I really like this app. It is one of the first things that really works well on my homey. I use it to trigger activities on the harmony based on selecting an activity on the remote.
  • How can I update to the 0.3.1 version? Homey version 27.
     It gives me "Something went wrong. Try again."'. I de-installed the previous version. Still te same error. The harmony device still exists. Any clue on how to solve this?
  • Ignore the error, it should have installed fine :smile: 
  • Actually, based on the crash logs I receive, there should be people for whom the app hasn't installed successfully.

There's some more general installation issue with Apps, causing them to not be installed completely/correctly. This results in "module not found" exceptions. Athom (@Emile) is still investigating this.
  • EdTstEdTst Member

I have this issue too. I used this workround. When the app was broken after the 0.8.27 update it worked after first uninstalling.

1. Install app -> error

2. Try to add the hub, it won't find it

3. reboot 2x

4. Reboot hub

5. Try to add hub, now it works and all is fine

• EdTst said:

I have this issue too. I used this workround. When the app was broken after the 0.8.27 update it worked after first uninstalling.

1. Install app -> error

2. Try to add the hub, it won't find it

3. reboot 2x

4. Reboot hub

5. Try to add hub, now it works and all is fine

This sounds interesting. Maybe this helps @Emile to determine the actual cause of the issue?
  • On a different note, and because IR reception in Homey is still far from perfect - what's a good remote to use with the Harmony Hub? Ideally one that uses BT to talk to the hub so I don't have to aim at anything :)

And would the Harmony Hub app be able to use that remote as input to trigger Homey flows?
  • Any Harmony remote that is compatible with the hub uses rf instead of ir, so you never have to aim again!  ;)
  • brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited April 2016
    And would the Harmony Hub app be able to use that remote as input to trigger Homey flows?

The Harmony Hub app is not for remotes. It's for the Hub.

The only trigger currently available to trigger flows through the Harmony Hub app is the "Activity changed" trigger. There's a flow card for that.

• Okay, thank you both - I've ordered the Touch.
  • @brinkie, the app isn't working anymore for me (shouldn't have said the install-error isn't a problem  :p ).
    I checked in a flow, when I try to add an activity, the autocomplete list only has <missing_listener> in it.
    I removed the hub and added it again (it was found without a problem), but this hasn't solved the problem.
  • Did you try to Wipe your Homey?
  • brinkiebrinkie Member
    edited April 2016
    Fire69 said:
    @brinkie, the app isn't working anymore for me (shouldn't have said the install-error isn't a problem  p ).
    I checked in a flow, when I try to add an activity, the autocomplete list only has <missing_listener> in it.
    I removed the hub and added it again (it was found without a problem), but this hasn't solved the problem.
    I'll have a look. Maybe it has something to do with an API change of Homey v0.8.27.
  • MarcoF said:
    Did you try to Wipe your Homey?
    Seems a bit radical to start with, doesn't it?  ;)

brinkie said:
    Fire69 said:
    @brinkie, the app isn't working anymore for me (shouldn't have said the install-error isn't a problem  p ).
    I'll have a look. Maybe it has something to do with an API change of Homey v0.8.27.
    Thanks! 
  • @Fire69;
    Reading issues/posts it should be THE solution to almost all problems.... So it could be a great starting point :smile: 

• When they find a solution for a backup of flows/devices, then I'll consider doing a reset 'just for fun', but for now I'll just wait for brinkie to have a look  ;)
  • I hope he can fix it for you!