This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

So, it's Friday... But will this be a release friday?

Comments

• fiekfiek Member
    Any update today? :smile: it's really quiet here on this forum
  • casedacaseda Member
    @fiek ;
    try to read on this very threat, like 5 messages back :)
    keverjeroen said:
    On Slack Emile says it isn't comming this week..

• fiekfiek Member
    edited July 2016
    caseda said:
    @fiek ;
    try to read on this very threat, like 5 messages back
    keverjeroen said:
    On Slack Emile says it isn't comming this week..

I 've read that, but the working day was over, so I thought that there wasn't gonna be update. But I already saw that @Emile posted an update..unfortunately no firmware update this week ........
  • KeepTKeepT Member
    Thank God it's Friday!
    Any news about the upcoming update?

• KeepT said:
    Thank God it's Friday!
    Any news about the upcoming update?

From last Friday's update:
    The last five days have been very productive for us! We've made a lot of progress on the tasks we were working on. Next week a large update, Homey 0.9.0, is planned which will make Homey a lot more stable. Some freezes have been found and solved, others were most likely caused by a problem in Node.js, our programming language, runs on. So that's deep stuff! To ensure a better user experience, a patch has been applied in Homey 0.9.0 that if Homey crashes, it automatically restarts.
    So yeah, I would expect an software update today! Athom usually delivers these at the end of the day.
  • Every Friday I hope there is a update, and almost every Friday there is no update  :( so I'm not existing anymore and expect nothing.. (please let they're be a update  :D
  • I hope the kaku app will also Come. My Egg timer would like to upgrade  :D
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited July 2016
    Reemster said:
    Every Friday I hope there is a update, and almost every Friday there is no update   so I'm not existing anymore and expect nothing.. (please let they're be a update  ) 
    That's kind of sad... you were deleted due to the lack of Homey updates? Poor you!
    Good thing that you can still post, even though you don't exist! 
  • Lol, I'm blame SwiftKey for that stupid typo!  :p 
  • @Emile ...  Laat ons niet langer in spanning!...  :/
  • MennoMenno Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm ready for it!
    So tired of having to push my light switch because my motionsensor is not working anymore since update 0.8.39
  • To bad! Dissapointed again.  :'( But hé look at the bright side! We will get a very stable one! 

Hope they don't wait untill next vriday! 
  • mglatmglat Member
    I did already did count on this, so it's fine. Next week will be more exiting hopefully.
    Homey is just consuming energy right now. (...ok...and gloing very nice...)
  • Was hoping for an update, so I could install a Holliday flow
  • But no. So now I just have to pull the plug and just be disappointed that homey doesn't work. A pity. Have a good weekend in the sun @emi
  • aloftaloft Member
    After a full month of no z-wave triggering functionality, I was more than ready to get the update. They seem to have it stable internally, so hopefully it will be released sooner than next Friday on the experimental channel, so Homey's fun:frustration ratio will be better. And z-wave is as stable as promised.
  • This is a big update which needs to be tested real thorough!
    After this the updates won't be as large and more frequent updates are possible
  • Yes till 1.0.0 i think! But that will take som time i think.
    Also, i think the best testing will still be to get it out "there". The Kaku app update took 2 weeks because of the "testing" with small groups by updating the other 433mhz first but there are still problems.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    This is a big update which needs to be tested real thorough!
    After this the updates won't be as large and more frequent updates are possible

1. Until 1.0.0 we (users) should expect thing go terribly wrong, so testing ok, but not to much. Better more frequent updates which fix things, then having a sitting duck for 5 weeks

2. Do you have a source for the faster and smaller updates? Thought I read that Athom learned there lessons with the small weekly not really good tested releases.

So a 2-3 weekly release with OK testing is more likely.
  • aloftaloft Member
    tim1990 said:
    Yes till 1.0.0 i think! But that will take som time i think.
    Also, i think the best testing will still be to get it out "there". The Kaku app update took 2 weeks because of the "testing" with small groups by updating the other 433mhz first but there are still problems.
    Agree. The issue is, Athom cannot test every situation. That is why there is an experimental channel, for people who are willing to help them in testing the various situations they encounter. When they first launched, Z-wave was also expected to be stable. In 'field-testing', it became clear it wasn't, forcing a complete rewrite. 

So while I believe the rewrite will increase Z-wave's stability, it will probably still have bugs and issues. Especially with radio signals, there are a lot of factors that can influence. 

Given that statement, I am still a bit baffled, that they knowingly 'disabled' Z-wave triggering, and didn't provide a quick update to roll that back. Or, if rollback wasn't possible (which I read somewhere between the lines), at least provide quicker updates to the experimental channel.

Now many Homey users had an unusable device for more than a month. That is too long, even for an "beta" product. I still believe in the product, but I sometimes cannot understand all decisions that Athom makes. On their website it states that they are focused on the community, but sometimes it is a bit of a one-way-communication relationship. 
  • jordenjorden Member
    I don't think it was intentionally, it was just something that broke because of an update. And I understand that it is probably too much work to go back to the previous version, fix the broken code, release an update while they are probably already much further with a new firmware version that will 'solve all'.
  • @Emile, Maybe we can do for a change, a update release Wednesday?  :/
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @Reemster ;
    Relax :) 

After 1008 hours no updates, we can wait let's say another 1-1,5 week! Better late than never and better a good tested release then one with tons of bugs (we getting closer to 1.0.0 so we may expect a much higher level of firmware releases) 
  • HansieNL said:
    @honey: have to tried to reboot your router?
    Most WiFi problems will be solved by a reboot of the router.
    The perennial solution to all things technology, haha!
  • JvdTJvdT Member
    edited July 2016
    Reemster said:
    @Emile, Maybe we can do for a change, a update release Wednesday? 

My thoughts exactly, not because I want to rush things, but do this every (other) Wednesday to give the developers a weekend off, Instead of monitoring and fixing bug(s) during the weekend after each release....
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I think the developers of athom don't know the words "weekend off" 
  • I read on Slack that possibly this thursday is the new friday! ;)
  • I read on slack that devs maybe get an email today about the changes. Maybe tomorrow.
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    I read on Slack that possibly this thursday is the new friday! ;)

I think you need to re-read ;)
This discussion has been closed.