This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

Official Homey Android App discussion topic

Comments

• MarcoF said:
    Thanx for your post/information! 

Hope we can use/test geofencing in the near future! It can/wil make much more nice stuff work/possible with Homey.

App crashes:
    Worst case scenario; We have to live with several app crashes a day or .... ?
    [edit]The current situation, for a lot of users, also sucks balls. In our household we have 2 relatively new/up2date Android phones (S5mini, Nexus5) and both are crashing very often.... 
    MarcoF said:
    maybe the voice feature can be disabled for now?
    Great suggestion and most ideal would be the user can decide to use Voice (and accept crashes) or not use it.
    With the introduction of geofencing and home detection, a settings screen will be introduced as well, in which you can select whether to use audio or not :)

Fire69 said:
    There's the tap-to-talk function. 
    Can't you enable the audio when the screen was tapped and disable it once the app starts processing the speech? 
    Yes and no. I think it's worth a shot, but it'll probably only make it worse, as the lifecycling of audio will become less predicatable :/
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Ok... and when will Homey's Mics be fine tuned and working as we may expect? 

Because when disabling Voice through the app will make Homey nearly deaf/useless with Voice.
  • Cant see my devices. The menu is still hovering over them. cant swipe it away.
    I can use the light though, bij klicking at the edge ;)

phone, HTC one mini 2, Android:4.4.2

• supericesuperice Member
    edited May 2016
    Cant see my devices. The menu is still hovering over them. cant swipe it away.
    I can use the light though, bij klicking at the edge

You're still using a very odd version of the app, 1.x, that is not officially supported anymore from Homey version 0.8.34 and up. Please try to update the app and if it happens on a 2.x variant as well, then I'll have a look at it. We just don't have the manpower to keep supporting old software versions. You can check the version of the app by looking at the left hand menu, at the bottom, right above the logout button.
  • MarkVanWindenMarkVanWinden Member
    edited May 2016
    superice said:
    You're still using a very odd version of the app, 1.x, that is not officially supported anymore from Homey version 0.8.34 and up. Please try to update the app and if it happens on a 2.x variant as well, then I'll have a look at it. We just don't have the manpower to keep supporting old software versions. You can check the version of the app by looking at the left hand menu, at the bottom, right above the logout button.
    Threw the app away,  and installed 2.1 build 45. , it still exists.. (previous version was also 2.X only build 43 iirc)

• superice said:
    Threw the app away,  and installed 2.1 build 45. , it still exists.. (previous version was also 2.X only build 43 iirc)

Whoops, sorry, you're absolutely right, I mixed up some UI elements in my head. Anyway, I'll see if I can fix that, I think that might be an Android 4.x issue. Will look into it!
  • JPeJPe Member
    Same problem with Samsung Tablet SM-T520  Android 4.4.2  HomeyApp V2.1 build 45
  • I just pushed 2.2 to the beta channel for you to test! This includes a settings screen and home detection. 

Home detection is pretty hard to get right in an office without very extensive testing, so any feedback on that would be appreciated greatly!  It currently uses a mix of wifi and GPS to try and figure out when you're coming home and when you're leaving. We found wifi to be a good indicator for when you're home (that is; when the app is connected to wifi, and it can reach Homey locally, it thinks you're home). However, to prevent you from sitting in the dark too often when you have flakey wifi, we use GPS to confirm you're leaving. So even if the wifi goes down you shouldn't notice a thing. Of course, reliability will become better as we'll improve this feature ;)

The crashes concerning the audio wave should have decreased as well; I don't think I have been able to get rid of them entirely, but they should at least have been reduced to a 'sometimes'-bug, as opposed to a 'god-this-is-insanely-annoying-because-it-happens-all-the-time'-bug.

I haven't been able to solve the rendering bugs on Android 4.x, I'll look into that sometime later.

Oh, and a pretty neat feature I almost forgot to mention: you can now tap on the audio wave to make it start listening to you, so you don't have to yell "OK Homey" if you don't want to :)

When no critical bugs are found I'll push this to the stable channel sometime next week. Happy testing everyone!
  • Tim_BrassTim_Brass Member
    edited June 2016
    Any idea on when this functionality becomes available to iOS devices?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    @superice ;
    Thanx!! Can't wait till the store makes it available and I can test :smile: 

App is available in the App-store, so going to test now :)
  • djeskodjesko Member
    Update done , will try it and report any problem 

Thanks
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    oeps... after giving the app permission for my location, its instantly crashed.... crashreport is on the way.

~10 crash reports on there way :blush: 
  • MarcoF said:
    oeps... after giving the app permission for my location, its instantly crashed.... crashreport is on the way.
    Strange, over here I don't have to give extra permissions. And no app-crash too.. (android 6.0.1).
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @keverjeroen ;
    Did you do a fresh install or update? 
    Here it was a update.
  • MarcoF said:
    @keverjeroen ;
    Did you do a fresh install or update? 
    Here it was a update.
    Update via the play-store.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    strange... here i got a small white popup. 

Something like this:

• MarcoF said:
    strange... here i got a small white popup. 

Something like this:

Yeah, that is generally what should happen, unless the app already has access to your location, which it could've requested in the 1.x versions of the app. Perhaps @keverjeroen has had the app installed for quite some time already and the 1.x version asked for permission, and it just was never revoked.

About the crash: as far as I can see in the Google Play Developer Console, no permission related crashes came in, so although it may have seemed to be related, it actually wasn't. It probably was an audio lifecycling bug, or an issue while loading the zones from your Homey.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    @superice;
    My fault if I was suggesting the permission crash was related to the other crashes.

Just played some more and send another ~5 crash reports. 
    It looks like the android "home" button is causing some crashes.

Just start the app, wait some secs to load the cards, "push" the android home button and shortly after that open the app again; Homey is stopped.

[edit]
    It looks like "but they should at least have been reduced to a 'sometimes'-bug" was still there an so I disabled voice in the App.

Now the crashes are gone and Homey is "deaf".

My wife was testing Homey and this was the result:

The question/command to Homey was 4 times the same;
    "OK Homey, turn television off"

So please guys pay some more attention to Homey's mics/listening skills. The last one gave the WAF a boost(big laugh :joy: )  and shortly after my wife asked;
    Why are you still putting so much time into that thing?!
  • Yeah, I had the Android app installed long before I received Homey.. LOL. So I guess I already gave permissions a long time ago.

I see the same crashes as MarcoF. This is how it can reproduced:
    - Start app
    - Wait until it is in 'Home' with text 'This zone does not contain devices.'
    - Klick the Android Home-button
    - Start the app again -> it crashes

And another option to reproduce:
    - Start app
    - Wait until it is in 'Home' with text 'This zone does not contain devices.'
    - Klick the Android Switch-app-button and switch to other app.
    - Now start the Homey app again -> it crashes

When I use the Android back-button instead of the home-button, the Homey app doesn't crash when I reopen it! 

Tested on: Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 6.0.1

• Tried to replicate this on Honor 6 with beta android 6.0.1 but couldn't. App switching works, going to home and then back to the app works.
  • Na het update van de app crasht 't gelijk bij het opstarten. Nadat ik bij machtigingen 'uw locatie' had aangezet was 't probleem opgelost.
  • One thing I noticed, which will enhance UX, there is no feedback to the user when offline.

Steps to reproduce:

Enable flight mode and start Homey Android app.
  • The app crashes here almost every time when switching to another app using recent. 

Start Homey, switch to another app, then switch back to the homey app. The homey app crashes. 
  • Home detection doesn't work too over here.. Yesterday I made 2 flows, that will send me a pushbullet message when I come home and when I leave home.

When I left work yesterday (and lost connection with work-wifi) I got a message that I left home.. (lol I'm glad I don't live here). After that, I didn't got any messages anymore. Not when I got really home, not when I left home this morning and not when I came at work...

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    Presence detection work here " "ok" ".
    Yesterday I played what with (dis)connecting WiFi, FakeGPS and made 4 flows (2 persons, left/came home).
    The flows triggered, but not really as expected and later that evening we both left home and only one person left home.

This morning I had some time for checking the flows and some more testing. I soon found out that one of the flow were not good configured, so I fixed that and started to play some more.
    So I tested some more and at first non of the flows were triggered, but after some minutes the flows begin to trigger.
    To be clear, only new triggered flow actions were seen. So to suppose to previous triggered flows were not trigger and so these actions were "lost".

Bottom line is that it looks like to work, but its not yet really reliable.

[edit]
    The "mobile experience" is very unreliable.
    We have 2 android device:
    Device 1: doesn't receive push messages, does trigger precense
    Device 2: does receive push messages, doesn't trigger precense

:| 
  • I still didn't get the update. Is it in the play store or somewhere on an beta channel? still on 2.1 build 45
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2016
    It's beta. So search this topic how to subscribe to it. 

Just was working in the garden and homey thinks I'm away.... I was 10m in our garden.
  • fiekfiek Member
    edited June 2016
    Home detection is not working here  for me, running 2.2 build 46 on Sony Z5. Homey version 0.8.35.
  • Lol, using a vpn makes homey think that I am home
  • After some days of experiences it seems that the presence detection is to aggressive or not falling back to GPS good enough.

As mentioned by Marco F, working in the garden could trigger an away event when losing WiFi connection but it happens also when waking upstairs and it switches access points. This is of course unwanted. It's either not falling back on GPS location, GPS location is not working or it's working really really well but it's to aggressive and needs a cooling down period and bigger sphere for home location. 

I have my GPS set to power saving mode. Does it need to be fully enabled for the presence detection of the app?