This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Plex application - main discussion thread

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    Sounds like you're doing an awesome job on the app, @MikeOne. I'm really impressed so far... Thanks for all your work on this! Looking forward to the opportunity to test this myself (no hurry, though, I don't even have my Homey yet )
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    MikeOne said:
    Hmm... That is pretty bizar indeed. I used to see that a lot with older versions of Homey, but lately speech has improved a lot here. How is the Hit Rate on "Okay Homey"? Does it trigger well?
    I read in another post (someone who had similar issues with speech recognition), that it may depend on the wide variety of speech servers that the string is sent to for recognition. In their case, how well recognition went, seemed to be dependent on which speech server the string was sent to. Some servers had an almost 100% success rate, while others resulted in garbage recognition. So apparently there can be quite a big difference in recognition quality between different speech servers. Maybe that is the problem here as well?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    MikeOne said:
    p0nts said:
    Very nice @MikeOne

One question about watching series.

If for example one of the episodes I am watching is still on deck because its watched half way, if I tell homey to watch The Walking Dead, will it proceed with the episode on deck?

And if there is no episode on deck, will it start with the first unwatched episode of the serie?
    The episode logic is pretty complicated and needs more tweaking with real life scenarios. Continuing an episode (or a halfway played movie even) is not yet implemented so in your first scenario it would pick up the 'oldest' episode On Deck and start playing that (from the beginning). I will build in the logic to continue. I haven't so far as this is yet another question to ask the user ("Would you like to continue where you left?").

For your second scenario, no this is not the default behaviour (yet) - but I'm considering actually doing exactly that.
    If the logic doesn't find a matching item on deck to play, and it still has a huge amount of hits, it will abort with a message saying you have to be more specific basically :-)

But this works (suppose you have no voyager onDeck): "Okay Homey, I want to watch the first episode of Star Trek Voyager". So that also basically covers that scenario. 

The Plex app also understands seasons and episode so : "Okay Homey, watch star trek voyager season 2, episode 3". Or episode names: "Okay Homey, watch star trek voyager episode The Swarm. 

Suppose the Plex app found a single matching episode, but it is one you just watched last night, you can also ask Homey: "Watch next episode" and it will find the next episode and play it.  

Bottom line is, the logic I build so far is pretty academic as I have a limited amount of Plex libraries to test against and how you organise your PMS might also be of influence of what is the best way to get to a single playable media item.

Sounds great!

So for now I can ask Homey the following:

OK Homey, watch the next episode of The Walking Dead

What the best option for series would be (for me personally) is:

me: Ok Homey, watch The Walking Dead
      if multiple entries are found, otherwise just continue with the next question:
        homey: Do you want to watch The Walking Dead The Movie in Movies (library) or The Walking Dead in Series (library title you've created)
          me: The Walking Dead in Series please
            homey: I've found a episode on deck, would you like to continue?
              me: yes

or

homey: Previously played episode found, would you like to continue with the next?
              me: yes
  • MikeOne said:

MarkSwift said:
    I'm afraid it is, I looked there already. The speech input log shows crazy things, sometimes it gets 1 word right.

Screen_Shot_2016_04_07_at_23_04_52.png
    Hmm... That is pretty bizar indeed. I used to see that a lot with older versions of Homey, but lately speech has improved a lot here. How is the Hit Rate on "Okay Homey"? Does it trigger well?
    Trigger seems pretty much reliable actually...
  • SommoSommo Member
    is it possible to ask: "i wanna see the walking dead, episode 2, season 3" for example?
  • MikeOneMikeOne Member
    edited April 2016
    Sommo said:
    is it possible to ask: "i wanna see the walking dead, episode 2, season 3" for example?
    Yes!

(well, the main speech trigger is 'watch').. 

• MarkSwift said:
    MikeOne said:

MarkSwift said:
    I'm afraid it is, I looked there already. The speech input log shows crazy things, sometimes it gets 1 word right.

It might have something to do with what @Bumblez said. I'm sure @Emile and the team will keep an eye on that and tweak it to death so it becomes more and more reliable.
  • @MikeOne quality work there! When this app is "done" (if an app is ever done), it will be the best app so far in my opinion...

Question though, since I have been thinking about this app but wouldn't know how to start...

I have PMS installed on my Synology. I (mostly) watch on my Sony Android TV. How does that work? Will you send a command to the Synology to start and will I then have to open the Plex app on my Android TV for the movie to start?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited April 2016
    @MikeOne

Are you dutch? Ar you going to support other languages as well?
  • fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited April 2016
    MarkSwift said:
    MikeOne said:

MarkSwift said:

There has also been some discussion around mixing of the old trigger with new if the Homey was not cleared before retraining. Have you tried making a full reset and training again? Maybe this will help.
  • @p0nts he is Dutch and the app is supporting (some) Dutch as well (https://github.com/MikeOne/nl.kikkert.plex/blob/master/app.json)
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Really awesome MikeOne! This is the app I've been waiting for!

In my home setup I stream from my PMS to the 2nd generation Chromecast in my TV. Would this be possible for example in combination with the chromecast app for example? 

Since the 5Ghz wifi support for chromecast it works really well as long as you stream x264 coded movies (or maybe also other formats if you have decent PMS hardware).

Does it also use a fuzzy lookup like the kodi app? I saw it was an open library supporting it. 
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited April 2016
    jorden said:
    @p0nts he is Dutch and the app is supporting (some) Dutch as well (https://github.com/MikeOne/nl.kikkert.plex/blob/master/app.json)
    thanks @jorden
  • Great work @MikeOne! I might have missed it - but will the app support PMP as well?
  • For now only PHT (Plex
    Home Theater) is supported,
    which isn't supported anymore officially by the PLEX team, only community brings updates.
    PMP (PLEX Media Player) is the new client, which is still in beta and only can be used for now by Plex Pass members, like me.
    I also have an ATV4 with Plex app, which is the main client in my family. And have a RPI2 with PMP in the master bedroom.

I really like to know if and or the ATV4 client will be supported @MikeOne ;
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    got a ATV4 as well, using it mainly for Plex.
  • edited April 2016
    Same here as well as for @wvanderspek ;; we both use ATV4 as main Plex players, would be nice if these would be supported as wel smile 

@MikeOne   ; Do I need to make some special settings for this app to work? I was curious and wanted to take a look so I loaded the app into my Homey. I see something happening in the DEBUG when I say I want to watch a movie but nothing starts to play:

Getting settings
    setSelectedDevice { type: 'player',
      device:
       { attributes:
          { name: 'Rob_SP3',
            publicAddress: '178.231.115.14',
            product: 'Plex Media Player',
            productVersion: '2.4.36',
            platform: 'Konvergo',
            platformVersion: '1.0.2.70-15a01542',
            device: 'Windows',
            model: '10',
            vendor: '',
            provides: 'player',
            clientIdentifier: '5f5119twox14te29',
            version: '2.4.36',
            id: '46809530',
            token: '8szdFysskkXThFF4JHqJ',
            createdAt: '1454958080',
            lastSeenAt: '1460142401',
            screenResolution: '',
            screenDensity: '' },
         Connection: [ [Object], [Object], [Object], [Object], [Object] ],
         '$$hashKey': 'object:13' } }
    Getting settings
    speechObject { transcript: 'kijk film the godfather',
      language: 'en',
      triggers:
       [ { id: 'type|movie', position: 5, text: 'film' },
         { id: 'media|movie|/library/metadata/27963',
           position: 10,
           text: 'the godfather' },
         { id: 'media|movie|/library/metadata/33203',
           position: 10,
           text: 'the godfather' } ],
      zones: [],
      time: false,
      devices: [] }
    parsing triggers
    speechResults { commands: [],
      types: [ 'movie' ],
      media:
       [ { match: 'the godfather',
           type: 'movie',
           ref: '/library/metadata/27963' },
         { match: 'the godfather',
           ref: '/library/metadata/33203' } ],
      server: [],
      transcript: 'kijk film the godfather' }
    speechObject { transcript: 'watch movie the godfather',
      language: 'en',
      triggers:
       [ { id: 'media|movie|/library/metadata/27963',
           position: 12,
           text: 'the godfather' },
         { id: 'media|movie|/library/metadata/33203',
           position: 12,
           text: 'the godfather' } ],
      time: false,
      devices: [] }
    parsing triggers
    speechResults { commands: [],
      types: [],
      media:
       [ { match: 'the godfather',
           ref: '/library/metadata/27963' },
         { match: 'the godfather',
           ref: '/library/metadata/33203' } ],
      server: [],
      transcript: 'watch movie the godfather' }
  • MarkSwiftMarkSwift Member
    edited April 2016
    I've noticed that if I type in "Watch Harry Potter" (I've given up talking to Homey), it replies "Enjoy watching The Watch" and starts playing "The Watch", it also does this for "Watch Lord of the Rings" etc, any ideas?
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    MarkSwift said:
    I've noticed that if I type in "Watch Harry Potter" (I've given up talking to Homey), it replies "Enjoy watching The Watch" and starts playing "The Watch", it also does this for "Watch Lord of the Rings" etc, any ideas?
    Remove The Watch, its bad anyway :p
  • p0nts said:
    MarkSwift said:
    Remove The Watch, its bad anyway :p
    I don't disagree :-)
  • fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited April 2016
    Is watch a key word to play something? What happens if you use play instead of watch? Edit: Ignore this just saw that watch is the keyword.
  • How is the development going along @MikeOne ;? :smile:
  • It's progressing @RobertLijkendijk, time is a bastard at the moment, too many plates to juggle.  I expect to submit a first version for app store review at the end of next week..
  • Cool! Keep up the good work, your Plex app looks really promising :+1: 
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    @MikeOne, Nice job!

Any information about ATV4 Plex support?
  • @p0nts - that will not in the first release unfortunately. I have no ATV4 to test, plus, I need to focus on Chromecast support first, as that will allow for broader support for smart-tv's. ChromeCast should be much easier to implement than ATV4 I think.

After the first release is out, I welcome support from the community to start developing drivers for other players.
  • BasPostBasPost Member
    edited April 2016
    @MikeOne , count me in for supporting and helping you. I've got an ATV4, which is my main player. So where to start for building such driver?  

Just to know for myself, the PLEX app for Apple TV 4 is advertising itself as a client/player to PMS and other clients, is it possible to fling a video from PMS to the PLEX app for Apple TV 4 with the PLEX for Homey app? For example, from the IOS PLEX app you can start a video and fling it to an advertising client/player.  
    That would be a start. How to start an app on the ATV4, I wouldn't know. And ofcourse, how to use Home Users Pincodes in Plex
  • @BasPost, great! We would need to reverse-engineer the 'fling' process first. Plex is a nice product, however, talking to it (or its players) is a real challenge (the API sucks really).

My priorities at the moment are:

1) Enable Homey 'Driver' and 'Flow' support, including media search in a flow card (80% there)
    2) Make it work perfectly with PHT (90% there)
    3) Release it to the App Store and start accepting Pull requests
    4) Make a list of players that need supporting based on demand (I expect ChromeCast, PMP, ATV4 to be high on that list)
    5) Make a list of features that need adding based on demand (like Home Users Pins, Music support, play continuation, shared server support etc).
    6) Throw it out there for the community to add to the App.
  • phbphb Member
    @MikeOne ; great job !!