This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• TheoDeKoning said:

Arjan said:
    Nice video on Facbook!

No Facebook here. :(

You don't need to have a facebook account to watch the video :)

• Facebook was planning to close open site view, but that is not jet implemented I see now. :))

Switching my KaKu/COCO stuff is one of the first thing I shall do here.
    Nice to see that it is really simple to do. Hopefully also for the light-sensors.

• Question
    on kickstarter it mentiond that the first batch backers would receive their homy within 2 weeks
    that was about 4 week ago :)

did they receive it ?

• Omg, here we go again.....Go one page back and you see for yourself. The apps on apps.athom.nl get more and more. So i wait patiently until some time next year. By then, al my prefered apps are available... ;-) Still hoping for a mysensors app..... ;-)

• kasteleman said:
    Omg, here we go again.....Go one page back and you see for yourself. The apps on apps.athom.nl get more and more. So i wait patiently until some time next year. By then, al my prefered apps are available... ;-) Still hoping for a mysensors app..... ;-)

Clear thanks missed that it was about the first batch

• wow, Athom placed a real nice post on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/athomnl/posts/1165752053437397

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Hey guys. We're working really hard to get everything ready for shipment. We're still hoping to ship before christmas, however the first batch backers might get it not so-much earlier than the geek backers. Hope that's not too much of a problem.

Basically, the bottleneck right now is our update server. It's already super stable, but generating updates is a little bit trickier than we though, so we really want to test this thoroughly before we ship any Homey.

It's so hard to have such an awesome product ready and not be able to ship it. I am going to make sure that at least we make cool videos (this Friday an Infrared demo, it's sooooo cooool).

• Emile said:
    Hey guys. We're working really hard to get everything ready for shipment. We're still hoping to ship before christmas, however the first batch backers might get it not so-much earlier than the geek backers. Hope that's not too much of a problem.

Basically, the bottleneck right now is our update server. It's already super stable, but generating updates is a little bit trickier than we though, so we really want to test this thoroughly before we ship any Homey.

It's so hard to have such an awesome product ready and not be able to ship it. I am going to make sure that at least we make cool videos (this Friday an Infrared demo, it's sooooo cooool).

Thanks for the update !

Niklas

• Thanks for the update, Emile! How is production going? Will you be able to ship shortly after this issue is resolved? Having a Homey (just :-)) before Christmas would be awesome.

Production is going pretty good so far :) If the updater software is stable enough, it's just flash it to a Homey & ship!

• Emile said:
    Production is going pretty good so far :) If the updater software is stable enough, it's just flash it to a Homey & ship!

Okay, then I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, I guess :-)

• Emile said:

Does that also include pre-orders, or is that still planned for januari?

• Is this server the one you use to flash homeys before shipping or the one we use to update?

The one you're using to update :-) But also the initial flashed software before it's shipped. While we're 99% sure that it'll work, it's not good enough until we can automagically ship an update with 2 clicks (and entering a super strong password, of course), instead of manually composing them.

• Haha cool. Laatste loodjes.... Good luck!

• Still hope that it can be a birthday present on the 15th to ...................

me. :-))

• @Emile: i noticed nearly all your estimates in this thread are based on the assumption that stuff goes right. That does not work :) You should plan by thinking about how many steps are needed to get there, then assuming each one will go wrong. It sounds pessimistic, but it's a lot closer to the truth.

What is the eta if the server stability turns out to be inadequate and the postal services are swamped with holiday postcards?

• honeyhoney Member
    edited December 2015

Firstly they are always forced to give estimates on things they have never done before. Seems a bit unfair but of course we need to understand both sides. They cant see many issues until they start working on it or they fix an other issue. Hard to predict these things. However number of issues could be reduced. And here comes the lack of proper project management and things are ad-hoc (thats why they dont have development roadmap for example).

That is true about the Christmas. I also mentioned before: "December is one of the worst, the holiday season, burned out people, holidays, long shipping, lost and damaged parcels."

also

"The thing is that the mass production is booby trapped (component issues, early failures, tooling issues, etc.) Telling this with many years of experience. Large companies are also seriously affected by these but they have more than one production line and alternative suppliers."

"assembly .... is not an issue free process. Than you have to handle the shipments. After you start to ship the first products you will get warranty issues (either an early failure [which always happens] or an overlooked design failure) and lots of emails and posts about software/radio issues and have to deal with the shipping companies with lost/damaged packages. This will slow down the 2nd, 3rd batch shipments."
    Nothing pessimistic just have realistic expectations.

However that is an absolutely realistic expectation to provide in depth updates. The last couple of kickstarter updates where mostly summaries of the things we knew. If every member of the team would provide a 5 minutes each video update what they have done, how does it work what they are at moment, that would ease the pain of the 7 months delay. And no one tell me "ahh let them work, bla bla bla", 5 minutes for each developer it is not much. Smartphone out shoot
    and upload to youtube.

• /me is marking this post as read without reading from now on.

• Emile said:

@Emile: It's Friday :-D

• gvanlubeek said:

Emile said:

@Emile: It's Friday :-D

Sorry, that's my bad, I was going to shoot to video because I implemented IR-pairing and flow cards, but I wasn't available today. It will be the first thing I do next monday though.

• ArjanArjan Member
    edited December 2015

Well a bigger thing is that apperently Homey is at the Masters Of Luxury in Amsterdam (not confirmed) and Athom didn't mentioned it here, hope @Emile can confirm?

Arjan said:
    Well a bigger thing is that apperently Homey is at the Masters Of Luxury in Amsterdam (not confirmed) and Athom didn't mentioned it here, hope @Emile can confirm?

That's Stefan's job, but I believe that's only a dummy (ledring rainbow only).

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited December 2015

http://lifehacker.com/if-youre-not-embarrassed-when-you-ship-your-first-vers-1747565971

So Emile, what will it be? Will it be perfect, or will you be embarrassed? The latter is better, or so they say. ;-)

Haha, a little bit of both I guess. Honestly, I can't wait to ship and see what you guys are going to do with Homey. In my opinion it has become so much more than the kickstarter ever promised. But of course I do have a lot more ideas, which are (luckily for you guys, Stefan hates me for this, hahaha) software updates!

• That strategy is probably ok for software, but you can't say 'f#ck it, ship it' for hardware.
    When a design flaw is found after shipping, it's not your product that's f#cked, it's you :-)
    That being said, @Emile, stop adding stuff and ship it already! :-P

• edited December 2015

Emile said:
    Haha, a little bit of both I guess. Honestly, I can't wait to ship and see what you guys are going to do with Homey. In my opinion it has become so much more than the kickstarter ever promised. But of course I do have a lot more ideas, which are (luckily for you guys, Stefan hates me for this, hahaha) software updates!

So, what's the status now? Feels like you're avoiding the topic ;-)

• I read this topic sometimes :)

daylfy said:

Michielv said:
    I agree to close this topic. I suggest a announcement part which only can edit by emile or someone else from athom. This topic Contains more complains and nugging about hardware prices. Homey is more then a piece of hardware. This concept is state of the art home automation, even the big boys doesn't have this piece of inovative product. That being said, please stop nagging and have faith in their product!

Maybe better you not read this topic anymore then
    Becasue there are people who have very diffirent thoughts about it... advantage of a forum. :)

• So will this be the week of truth? Think we should make a site like ishomeyshippedyet.com as isitfridayyet.net/ though this last site gets me depressed four days of the working week...

This discussion has been closed.