This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• Emile already mentioned they are busy with the USB cable problem.
  • The current outstanding issues aren't really showstoppers as far as I can tell.
    As for the people who already received their homey, try to document your issues as thorough as possible. It'll help Athom which in turn helps you. 
    I guess by the time my homey ships most of them will be fixed. If not, I can live with that. When I ordered I knew it was a product that was in development (which some people tend to forget).
  • @dclrcq Depends on your definition of showstopper ;). For me, the Z-Wave issues are showstoppers. Fortunately there is an update out now which should solve quite a lot of that. I'm curious how the next coming days will evolve. 

I must say however that it is nice to see so much activity on the forum. It means people are using Homey and testing it. If Athom can keep up and fix the blocking issues fast, then the next batch can be sent out in a week or two I assume.

I wish them all the luck and hope they can pull it of!
  • @dclrcq ;
    Here the KaKu sending devices paring problem that started suddenly on 30 January after an update.
    Now mine Homey is seems the be bricked.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited February 2016
    imho, anything that can be fixed in the software (apps) can not be considered a showstopper... definitely not at this stage. Sure, they are annoying, because groups of people may not currently be able to use Homey for the purpose that they had in mind... but those can be fixed over time, without you having to return your Homey. Athom makes it abundantly clear that the software you receive is "BETA" (=in development, unfinished, buggy).
    Only hardware issues (of which the usb cable is the least serious example) are real showstoppers, because fixing hardware issues would require sending the Homey back to Athom.
    Even firmware issues (like the problems several people are experiencing right now after the firmware update) aren't absolutely showstoppers, although they should be highest on the priority list to get fixed (unless it turns out that there is still a way to brick your Homey, in which case it absolutely IS a showstopper).

• @PimBliek granted, I can get that. Z-Wave is advertised as supported so you expect it to work.
    Z-Wave has a lot of different products though. It's difficult to test them all. And it's still a beta.
    We'll see what the next couple of days/updates bring. 
  • @Bumblez;
    Around the 5-10 homeys are "dead/bricked/red/purple". Looks like the recent update is the evil one..... (because @TheoDeKoning homey is now also "dead").

IMHO this should(!) be a showstopper. 

• Bumblez said:
    imho, anything that can be fixed in the software (apps) can not be considered a showstopper... definitely not at this stage. Sure, they are annoying, because groups of people may not currently be able to use Homey for the purpose that they had in mind... but those can be fixed over time, without you having to return your Homey. Athom makes it abundantly clear that the software you receive is "BETA" (=in development, unfinished, buggy).
    Only hardware issues (of which the usb cable is the least serious example) are real showstoppers, because fixing hardware issues would require sending the Homey back to Athom.
    Even firmware issues (like the problems several people are experiencing right now after the firmware update) aren't absolutely showstoppers, although they should be highest on the priority list to get fixed.
    Yes, that's what I'm thinking.

@dclrcq ;
    Here the KaKu sending devices paring problem that started suddenly on 30 January after an update.
    Now mine Homey is seems the be bricked.
    If it's completely bricked that's a real problem. I hope they'll resolve it swiftly.
  • MarcoF said:
    @Bumblez;
    Around the 5-10 homeys are "dead/bricked/red/purple". Looks like the recent update is the evil one..... (because @TheoDeKoning homey is now also "dead").

IMHO this should(!) be a showstopper. 

At this stage I have not yet read any confirmation from Athom that they are really dead/bricked. True, they currently won't start, but if there is an easy way to (for example) connect them to a PC and fully reset them, then it's not a showstopper, just annoying (and definitely a high prio issue that needs fixing). If they really are dead/bricked, then yes, that's absolutely a showstopper.
  • ok, so it looks like the most reasoned update it doing this. But because its only a "annoying" issue, the can do this and let users sit 24+hours without any response on this matter?!

For me an homey that's not responding to anything =="dead" and should not happen on any given time and if it happen there should be a quick reliable fix!
  • VincentVincent Member
    edited February 2016
    MarcoF said:
    For me an homey that's not responding to anything =="dead" 
    It's dead (or bricked) when you can't do anything with anymore ever again. If there is a way to recover it, it's not dead.

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited February 2016
    To me, "dead" means there is nothing you can do with the device anymore, except send it back for a replacement.
    So 'currently not responding to anything' does not automatically equal 'dead', as there may still be a way out.

But yes, I agree that this is a very high priority issue, Athom need to look into this right away, and provide those affected with a response (soon!) on how to proceed - is their Homey really dead and should it be returned, or is there a way to reset those Homeys (it may even be better to revert to the previous version of the firmware, until this bug is fixed).

No response from Athom on this, may very well result in people drawing conclusions for themselves and sending back their Homeys...
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited February 2016
    No sending by mail here for repairing, too expensive to lose this Homey. ;)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    The devices are dead/bricked because;
    The devices are not responding to anything, the user is (for now) not able to let is function as designed and (for now) there's no options(PC software) to let them function as designed.

So if users are sending it back, its because the can't fix it and in there eyes its bricked.

In most cases devices are not bricked because there's almost always some sort of low level firmware/fix option to get them function again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics)

• MarcoF said:
    The devices are dead/bricked because;
    The devices are not responding to anything, the user is (for now) not able to let is function as designed and (for now) there's no options(PC software) to let them function as designed.
    There's a difference between the device actually being dead/bricked, and the user perceiving it as such.
    There may very well be an "option (PC software) to let them function as designed", we just don't know it yet.
    So yes, right now, several users will perceive their Homey as being "dead/bricked". That's why a response from Athom is essential, to either confirm this, or explain what to do to reset their Homeys.
  • Shall we stay on topic a bit...?
  • MarcoF said:
    So if users are sending it back, its because the can't fix it and in there eyes its bricked.

If the Homeys have to be sent back, they are bricked I agree. But we don't know that yet, so let's not call them dead yet. Tell them to stay away from the light and come back to us.....

• Topic! ... please  ;)
  • New shipment date for Homey?

Better to wait till a lot of issues are solved e.g. save updates, IR, BT, voice reconnection.
    Two months?

• 2 days and already speculatings of 2 months? I know it's hard to stay patient, also want my Homey to arrive asap, but see next week how things are going....
  • That's what I was trying to point our above... anything that does not require fixing/changing the hardware (ie not a "showstopper" in my book) does not require production to be halted, and does not have to impact the shipment date of the next batch.
    Most of the things you mention (save updates, IR, BT, voice recognition) may very well be fixable in firmware or software. So as long as there is no way to truely brick your homey, production and delivery of the hardware can go on as planned.

But yeah, those issues definitely require (short term) attention and fixing, and it is vital that people know how to recover from situations such as the current firmware update issue.
    If this firmware update was truely able to brick the Homey (ie if there is no way to recover, it's really dead and has to returned), then that's an entirely different matter... that would need to be fixed before any other Homeys are shipped.

• Everything is going smoothly so;
    "OK Athom, ship the remaining pledges please!"

Lets wait and see of Athom get is and not showing a red/purple light :heart: 

• Well, shipment of those remaining pledges should still be at least 2-3 weeks away, which should give Athom plenty of time to fix the top priority issues before that batch does out the door...
  • 2 days and already speculatings of 2 months? I know it's hard to stay patient, also want my Homey to arrive asap, but see next week how things are going....
    It is more than 2 days testing already.
    Waiting for bugs to solved and get others bugs back where they never where before.
    You have to test EVERY thing again.
    It is more than 2 days testing already.
    Waiting for bugs to solved and get others bugs back where they never where before.
    I agree, but a week can make a huge difference. So i stay positive.... :#
  • You have to test EVERY thing again.
    Totally agree and what better way to test to send out more test samples so testing goes faster! o:)
  • TheoDeKoning said:It is more than 2 days testing already.
    We only got our Homey's yesterday so for most people it's been one evening of testing :)
  • Bumblez said:
    Well, shipment of those remaining pledges should still be at least 2-3 weeks away, which should give Athom plenty of time to fix the top priority issues before that batch does out the door...
    I think you are correct on this one. Seems there is a serious bug in homey (you don't want to have). They are probably trying to figure out what's happening and then solving. Then the sequence of internal testing, rolling out the software, field testing and probably flashing the homey's with old software.

So, don't expect your homey this month!

And yes, I reallly hope I'm totally wrong on this one!
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    You couldn't be more right :) We continue shipment when most bugs are fixed!
  • Well i wouldnt mind a product with some bugs, i havnt found a prodcut for home automation like homey without bugs, using a 'homewizard' for kaku solutions, lots op drop dows in signal, and often not responding kaku units. Besides that using a Vera light for Zwave... And o man how buggy is Vera from the start on!!! Al kinds of serieus issues without a active problem solving group behind it..

My brother has a Fibaro Home center, and even this (wannabe apple like product) is still infested with bugs..

So Let's Give a warm hand to Homey, and make them crush the market with lots of satisfied users...

I wish there where more people like the Athom team to bring there own dream to reality.. <3 <3 <3

This discussion has been closed.