This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

Official Homey Android App discussion topic

supericesuperice Member
edited September 2017 in Questions & Help
Do you currently own a Homey and an Android smartphone? Awesome! That means you can use our badass Android app!

Installing

Download the app from the Play Store. Start it, and log in to your Athom-account. Mind you: an Athom account is different from a forum account, you cannot log in using your forum credentials!

Using the app

You'll see a view with some cards:

These cards represent your devices. You can turn them on or off by tapping the icon on the left of a card. Custom controls are available on the right, in the above example Hue, Saturation, Brightness, and Temperature for the Philips Hue cards.

Now, you might not see any cards because you have put all your devices in a different zone. Selecting a zone is done by swiping in from the left side of the screen. Hold your finger on the screen to select a zone.

Whenever you select a zone, cards for devices in that specific zone will be display.

Last but not least, the media view. When swiping from right to left, you'll see a mediaplayer.

It'll show the media Homey is currently playing. You can select the output speaker here, search for new content to play, and control the current stream. 

Reporting bugs

Of course we at Athom are not perfect programmers (or well, at least I'm not), we make mistakes as well. Most important about these mistakes is how we handle them We don't have an issue reporting system just yet, so please post any bugs you encounter in this topic, and I'll make sure I'll fix them as soon as possible! In order for me to be as efficient at this as possible, please keep in mind I'd have to reproduce the bug, so please describe as detailed as possible what you did to trigger the bug.

If you get an Android crash dialog, please click 'Report'. This sends me all kinds of helpful information, but won't expose personal details of yours
Tagged:

Comments

• Looks very good, I have an iPhone, so can't do anything with this, hope the UX will be the same.

One remark though, why isn't Github used to track issues? You have no issue reporting system just yet, but Github seems to be very good for tracking the homey bugs so why not use the same system for another part of the homey ecosystem?
  • Looks very good, I have an iPhone, so can't do anything with this, hope the UX will be the same.

One remark though, why isn't Github used to track issues? You have no issue reporting system just yet, but Github seems to be very good for tracking the homey bugs so why not use the same system for another part of the homey ecosystem?
    GitHub is good for tracking technical issues, however, it is very tech focused, and you need to have an account to create issues. Therefore it isn't suitable for anyone but developers. We're planning on using or own custom ticket system, but for now, one centralized forum topic will do :)
  • Not a bug, but when I installed the app it said: Huiselijk, by Athom :)
    Must be an auto translate thing....
  • Vincent said:
    Not a bug, but when I installed the app it said: Huiselijk, by Athom :)
    Must be an auto translate thing....
    I'll see if I can fix that, that's the Google Play Store automatically translating app information
  • @superice I installed the app. The voice contol works, also the 'remote' switches. Only on thing i can't do/see, see multiple zones. I only get to see zone Home. Swiping to the left gets me the 'media-player' but that's it. I do have apps/switches istalled in 'livingroom' etc. but those zones are nowhere to be found.
     I've got the latest version of the app and running android 5.0 on a Galaxy S5.

Any ideas?
  • MarcoWijk said:
    @superice I installed the app. The voice contol works, also the 'remote' switches. Only on thing i can't do/see, see multiple zones. I only get to see zone Home. Swiping to the left gets me the 'media-player' but that's it. I do have apps/switches istalled in 'livingroom' etc. but those zones are nowhere to be found.
     I've got the latest version of the app and running android 5.0 on a Galaxy S5.

Any ideas?
    Swiping from the far left side of the screen to the right side makes the screen blur and shows the zone overlay. You must hold your finger on the screen for it to work though. It takes some practice, I admit, we're working on improving that.
  • I'm also considering to buy a set of android tablets for other then homey's room, and i'm wondering does the voice control on the app 'auto' listen to 'hey homey' as well? or is there a way to do this? 

Thinking of combining some other functionalities on these tablets, but homey would be a big reason to continue on this path.
  • I'm also considering to buy a set of android tablets for other then homey's room, and i'm wondering does the voice control on the app 'auto' listen to 'hey homey' as well? or is there a way to do this? 

Thinking of combining some other functionalities on these tablets, but homey would be a big reason to continue on this path.
    If I understand your question correctly, you'd like to know if the app uses the 'Hey Homey'-trigger to start recognizing your speech. That it certainly does :)
  • I think he wants to know if you have to do something on the tablet/phone before the app listens to 'ok homey'.
  • With root, tasker and AutoVoice you should be fine.
    In the Android Developer settings you can set it to stay awake when on charger.
    Haven't tried it myself but many have gone there before.
  • WathLamersWathLamers Member
    edited January 2016
    superice said:
    I'm also considering to buy a set of android tablets for other then homey's room, and i'm wondering does the voice control on the app 'auto' listen to 'hey homey' as well? or is there a way to do this? 

If I understand your question correctly, you'd like to know if the app uses the 'Hey Homey'-trigger to start recognizing your speech. That it certainly does
    p
    thats good news. (for me how i want to use it)  next question from me is: does homey answer back trought the android tablet.
    No matter if this is always, or only when it receive a voice prompt trough the tablet?
    The ulimate will be; only respond where the promt came from.  
  • Well time to receive the homey ;) and order some android tablets ;) 
  • Feedback: the apps login screen does not say how or where to create an account. That should probably be added as link or as a built in registration screen.

Positive note is that it said my username does not exist. At least i know not to keep trying other passwords. I like that!
  • Pulsar said:
    Feedback: the apps login screen does not say how or where to create an account. That should probably be added as link or as a built in registration screen.

Positive note is that it said my username does not exist. At least i know not to keep trying other passwords. I like that!
    Is that necessary? When you install your Homey, you're prompted to make an account. Before that the app won't be of much use.
  • User friendly?
  • MarcoF said:
    User friendly?
    Not sure if you should consider that more user friendly. Would rather put a message up saying that you can create an account when you install a Homey. Otherwise one can create an account and then the app says Homey isn't setup yet. 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Someone gets her/his Homey and attaches the power supply and things;
    And now what?? Hmm its Domotica so, maybe there's a app for that?! 

So the user installs the app and runs into the login screen... Now what?

Take a new user on a journey and send hem with gentle tips/hints to the right locations for creating an account, activate homey, use the app etc.

To me the most natural way would be doing the first install and config with the App.

Just one cent...
  • MarcoF said:
    Someone gets her/his Homey and attaches the power supply and things;
    And now what?? Hmm its Domotica so, maybe there's a app for that?! 

So the user installs the app and runs into the login screen... Now what?

Take a new user on a journey and send hem with gentle tips/hints to the right locations for creating an account, activate homey, use the app etc.

To me the most natural way would be doing the first install and config with the App.

Just one cent...
    Consider the way it'll go when Homeys are for sale in the store: one buys a Homey, connects it to his/her network, runs setup, creates an Athom account. Only after that will that person look for an app in the store. He or she just created an account, so logging in is easy: the account was created just moments earlier.

I know that because you guys preordered it might not seem logical to provide so little support for users that do not have an account, but the reality is that if you don't have an Homey yet, there is no use having the app on your phone.

Even if we add more explanation in the future, at this moment my time is better spent doing bugfixes for infrared, and building support for bluetooth audio and bluetooth low energy ;) I'm sure you understand we value stuff people use everyday more than streamlining a one-time setup process that is already pretty decent.
  • Not sure where to put my qustion, but iam intrest in the Homey because they support more then one standerd.

Now before even thinking off buying one, is there the option of making virtuel switches in de Homey app. Because the speaking actions are handy and fun in the begining, and very sure when you at home with your friends an a few beer (and a few more) you be COOL.
     But after some time you just dont want to yell for every action "ok Homey" blabla.

So can i make a virtule switch for every action (flow) iam programming into homey so that i can just can switch in on from my homey app???

Roy
  • Oy1974 said:
    Not sure where to put my qustion, but iam intrest in the Homey because they support more then one standerd.

Now before even thinking off buying one, is there the option of making virtuel switches in de Homey app. Because the speaking actions are handy and fun in the begining, and very sure when you at home with your friends an a few beer (and a few more) you be COOL.
     But after some time you just dont want to yell for every action "ok Homey" blabla.

So can i make a virtule switch for every action (flow) iam programming into homey so that i can just can switch in on from my homey app???

Roy
    Hey Roy, you came to the right place :) We will implement widgets in the Android app soon™, so you'll be able to trigger flows from your home screen. I think that does exactly what you want, but easier, because you don't have to open the app at all!
  • Oy1974 said:
    Not sure where to put my qustion, but iam intrest in the Homey because they support more then one standerd.

Roy
    Hi Roy,
    Why not install a real switch and expiriment in real.?

• superice said:
    Oy1974 said:

Roy
    Hey Roy, you came to the right place :) We will implement widgets in the Android app soon™, so you'll be able to trigger flows from your home screen. I think that does exactly what you want, but easier, because you don't have to open the app at all!

Wow, thks for responding that fast.

Its was exactly what i mean yes, and even better that i can trigger the flows from the home screen. So thats awesome ty!!!

Not sure that homey will understand my voice after a evening with friends :smiley :smiley: 

Roy
  • Oy1974 said:

Roy
    Hi Roy,
    Why not install a real switch and expiriment in real.?

I will Always keeping real switches for the lighting, but not wanting switches everywhere for every flow that would be rediclus. :wink: 
  • App crashes on my N5 upon start after the latest update (1.1.0). Haven't got my Homey yet so not.much I can do beside starting the app anyway...
  • dhanstededhanstede Member
    edited January 2016
    App also crashes om my Samsung S4 with Android 5.01. But i haven't ordered Homey yet, maybe that's the cause  ;)
  • It also crashes on my htc m8 with android 6
  • Ditto. Crashreport send.
  • Here also a big crash on a nexus5 with Android 6.0.1
  • I'm terribly sorry guys, will fix this in an update tomorrow. The bug only seems to happen on the first setup screen, which is pretty much the only thing I didn't test before shipping. My bad...
  • Can happen, thanks  for Quick (re)action! Keep on the good work