This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

Official Homey Android App discussion topic

Comments

• @superice is there already any news when the next android version will be ready? I would like to use the notification.

• btwvince said:
    @superice is there already any news when the next android version will be ready? I would like to use the notification.

Well, we're still putting some functionality in the Android app. The problem is that whenever we upgrade our cloud service to Athom Notifications 2.0, every Android app in the 1.x branch will cease to receive notifications. Sadly, this is a technical limitation which can't be solved easily. So the next beta will probably not have notifications yet; it will only be in beta shortly though, just to verify there are no huge bugs. As soon as we push Android app version 2.0 to stable, we'll deploy the new notification service as well :) The new beta will have the code to handle the notifications, so as soon as we deploy the notification service you'll start to receive notifications on your 2.x installation.

I'm still working on the last pieces of voice output support in the app, which is almost done. The only thing left to do then is home detection. We're still trying to figure out the best way to do that, because geofencing seems suboptimal.

So my question to you guys: would you want to see 2.0 released before or after geofencing is implemented? I don't know how many users currently use the home detection of the app, having some insight in that would be a huge help.
  • Please release version 2.0 of the Android app as soon as possible. Homey is in beta, and Android version 1.0 is practacly legacy.

• superice said:
    btwvince said:
    @superice is there already any news when the next android version will be ready? I would like to use the notification.

Well, we're still putting some functionality in the Android app. The problem is that whenever we upgrade our cloud service to Athom Notifications 2.0, every Android app in the 1.x branch will cease to receive notifications. Sadly, this is a technical limitation which can't be solved easily. So the next beta will probably not have notifications yet; it will only be in beta shortly though, just to verify there are no huge bugs. As soon as we push Android app version 2.0 to stable, we'll deploy the new notification service as well :) The new beta will have the code to handle the notifications, so as soon as we deploy the notification service you'll start to receive notifications on your 2.x installation.

I'm still working on the last pieces of voice output support in the app, which is almost done. The only thing left to do then is home detection. We're still trying to figure out the best way to do that, because geofencing seems suboptimal.

So my question to you guys: would you want to see 2.0 released before or after geofencing is implemented? I don't know how many users currently use the home detection of the app, having some insight in that would be a huge help.
    I can wait if i have to :) i think it won't take months :)
  • superice said:
    btwvince said:

I would say put the android app in the next beta version, despite the impact on the 1.x version.
    Homey is in such a beta stage that all users will accept in my view to migrate to the newer version

geofencing is quite effective on my homewizard, works seemlessly, would be a good first step for homey as well, and an optimized version of presence detection can then be in a later stage

notifications should be in, to have users moving from 1.x to 2
  • AljoenAljoen Member
    For me publishing without geofencing is not a problem.  I use the Tasker solution,  which works real well. 
  • PeaoPeao Member
    Yeah, publishing without geofencing is fine. I'll continue using IFTTT for this purpose.
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    Voice output support: yes!
    Geofencing: not really needed here for now :)
  • Yes publish the beta asap, but don't forget to communicate it! Use the blog ,  email and explain why and when.
  • I don't use geofencing. But I do use notifications a lot
  • Geofencing is a battery hog for many phones. GPS tracking isnt nice for battery in general. I dont use any of those features with homey (yet). I still have homewizard with domoticz combination that eventually will be replaced or partial (still probably need hw for energylink and heatlink). Being home is basically done via motion detection and ping to ip address or phone. So yeah go for it. 
  • For the iOS people : Homey, by Athom' van Athom B.V.
  • In the firmware 0.8.34 is witten that the app must be updated. I can not find any New (updated) app in the playstore
  • supericesuperice Member
    edited May 2016
    mbalik79 said:
    In the firmware 0.8.34 is witten that the app must be updated. I can not find any New (updated) app in the playstore
    The new app will be pushed to stable soon, we're still trying to fix an issue with push notifications. We're hoping to get the 2.0 version to everyone this night

The iOS-app already supports voice by the way.
  • superice said:
    mbalik79 said:
    In the firmware 0.8.34 is witten that the app must be updated. I can not find any New (updated) app in the playstore
    The new app will be pushed to stable soon, we're still trying to fix an issue with push notifications. We're hoping to get the 2.0 version to everyone this night ;)

The iOS-app already support voice by the way.
    @superice thanks for the quick answer. Great Job! 
  • markmgmarkmg Member
    edited May 2016
    Will thre be a option to view the app sideways/landscape 
    i bought a adraiod tablet just for homey and fitted in my mediacenter but cant get the screen right 

And after the last firmware error i also get a error on the app.. is there a fix for this ?
  • markmg said:
    i bought a adraiod tablet just for homey and fitted in my mediacenter but cant get the screen right 

And after the last firmware error i also get a error on the app.. is there a fix for this ?
    Yes, there is a fix! It's called 2.0. On a more serious note though: 0.8.34 broke a lot of stuff, and we're very sorry for that. I've just pushed 2.0 to the beta channel, which has workarounds and fixes for most of the 0.8.34 problems, and if no critical bugs have been reported before tomorrow evening, I'm pushing it to stable so everyone will receive the update this weekend. (By the way; landscape support is in the issue list, but I don't know when I'll get around to it yet)

Sadly, I haven't been able to get the push notifications working, so that'll have to wait until after the weekend, and will come in an update sometime next week hopefully.
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    superice said:
    markmg said:

Yes, there is a fix! It's called 2.0. On a more serious note though: 0.8.34 broke a lot of stuff, and we're very sorry for that. I've just pushed 2.0 to the beta channel, which has workarounds and fixes for most of the 0.8.34 problems, and if no critical bugs have been reported before tomorrow evening, I'm pushing it to stable so everyone will receive the update this weekend. (By the way; landscape support is in the issue list, but I don't know when I'll get around to it yet)

Sadly, I haven't been able to get the push notifications working, so that'll have to wait until after the weekend, and will come in an update sometime next week hopefully.
    Just installed the updated, but it's not working here...
    On my phone (Android 6) I see no devices, on my tablet (Android 4.4) I can open the zones, but I can't select one.  When I tap a zone, you see it gets selected but then nothing happens, I'm stuck in the zones overview.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @Fire69 : did you check the version of the app? build 37 is still being served to me by the app-store which is the previous version. No new version yet so no noticeable difference...
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited May 2016
    Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1. The latest beta does not seem to be able to stay connected to my Homey. It's flipping between connected and saying my Homey is offline (which it isn't). So I never get to see the zones or devices.

And yes, I already did kill the app and try again.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @Phuturist : On the same local network?
  • markmgmarkmg Member
    andriod 5.0.1 here dont see any devices anymore
  • brot84brot84 Member
    Me too on the S7 Edge, no devices showable. Reboot homey and reinstall the app. The app show shortly time Homey was offline but in the Browser allways online. No difference between Home Network or outside the house. 
  • djeskodjesko Member
    Build 40 but no devices. 
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    @Fire69 : did you check the version of the app? build 37 is still being served to me by the app-store which is the previous version. No new version yet so no noticeable difference...
    Build 40 installed since yesterday evening already here. 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    yep, on build 40 now too and no devices showing up with 0.8.34. Also, the phone only sends English so when saying "lampen aan" speech-input shows "london on" as nearest hit. But Homey is set to Dutch...
  • Is it possible for us to sign up for the android beta channel?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    yep, on build 40 now too and no devices showing up with 0.8.34. Also, the phone only sends English so when saying "lampen aan" speech-input shows "london on" as nearest hit. But Homey is set to Dutch...
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/19246/#Comment_19246  ;)
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Ah, missed that one. Thanx