This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Version 0.8.22

Comments

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited March 2016
    Why is this a minus one Theo? The only promise Emile ever made was that Athom would probably release on Monday. What would you rather have, an unfinished, untested and potential bricking release or something more solid?

Athom just can't seen to do it right in the eyes of some people here. I tried to ignore it but it's really starting to get annoying. I'm not at all surprised Athom is reluctant to give out dates.
  • Phuturist said:
    Why is this a minus one Theo? The only promise Emile ever made was that Athom would probably release on Monday. What would you rather have, an unfinished, untested and potential bricking release or something more solid?

Athom just can't seen to do it right in the eyes of some people here. I tried to ignore it but it's really starting to get annoying. I'm not at all surprised Athom is reluctant to give out dates.
    It is not that promises but "Yep, tomorrow! Got a lot of fixes, and we're jumping to 0.8.24."
    Those 'lot of fixes' are not a reason for a jump in version. Only really new thing are.

• PandaPanda Member
    Who are you to decide what versioning structure they need to use?

Some people are really bitching about everything.
  • Panda said:

I see the version skip as a positive thing, every step closer to 1.0.0 is a good one!
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    maybe its because @TheoDeKoning paid €399 for his Homey, got it with more then a year delay and his Homey is more off then on for the last (almost) 3 months?

And almost every "probably" "promise" didn't make it.....

For example;
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/11914/#Comment_11914

If I can believe the info, there are 12(!) very smart(!) employees working at Athom. 

Stop working on all problems at once, make a plan and focus as a team on the technologies.
    Working bottom up, low level tech first and if that's stable and working, focus on GUI and other stuff. 
    Everything is so connected in Homey (brightness of LedRing influences the Mic, still see total Homey, Zwave(866) and 433 crashes issues/tickets) and for me that sounds like the base need some work.

For example;
    Voice is still a very big issue for most of the peope, so disable voice(or forget the focus on voice and communicate that voice development is down for X weeks for collecting voice data) and focus on 433, if 433 is working, focus on Zwave and if Zwave is working, focus on BT, etc. 

GUI stuff such as strange/small/large fonts or not good aligned images or z-index flaws, aren't  important, except if its a show stopper.
    What is working if an image of a 433 device is aligned good and 433 isn't working because of crashes?
    The GUI is worthless if Homey itself or one or more techs crash...

We are +/- 12 weeks after the First Batch and 8(?) weeks after the Geeks and still no sign of mass shipment.

Its impossible to bet on all horses in the match, only one horse can and will win.
    (Months ago the Iphone app was delayed because of these guys were needed to develop on Homey's core, so why not do that again and work as a team on Homey base and from there work up to the GUI)
  • Panda said:

I see the version skip as a positive thing, every step closer to 1.0.0 is a good one!
    @Panda This has nothing to do whit bitching but in my mind honesty. Knowing where you stand in the processes.

@mathijsFrencken But is going to .24 really a step closer to the 1.0.0? 
    There is a bug that was so called fix already a few times but it is still not sure it is now. You then not closer to 1.0.0.
    For me was 0.8.17 still the best one. Now I have no working Homey here.

For now and later I let the versions numbering for what it is. Window-dressing in my feelings.
    If I find a bug I shall not look into the github stuff to see if it is already put there.
  • When they fix bugs and roll out a new version of the firmware, they have to change the version number.
    How else can you know it's a newer version?

How is going to .24 not getting closer to 1.0?  You want them to go backwards when a bug comes back??
  • I think you is trying to say that the version upgrades did bring real live upgrades.
    >=0.8.18 for him resulted in a not functioning Homey.

So from that point of view the higher version number didn't bring a better UX (for his situation).
    So upping the version number doesn't say its a better version for situation X.
  • After .22 comes .23  ;)
    True, but they don't just fix bugs.  They also add stuff.
    I know you don't agree with that way of working, but that's the way they do it and I don't think they are going to change that just because you aren't happy with that :)
  • PimBliekPimBliek Member
    edited March 2016
    Cool! Flamewars!   >:)  <pun intended>
    Let's ask Athom what editor they use (vi or emacs) and than start episode 8948923492 of that holy war. 

Come on kids, relax. I couldn't care less if it is 0.23, 0.24 or 89.21. As long as it fixes important stuff and as long as it gets my Homey closer to my home, I'm fine.
    Yeah and after Windows 8.1 comes Windows 9? Lol :D
  • I :heart: forums
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited March 2016
    Fire69 said:
    After .22 comes .23   ;)
    True, but they don't just fix bugs.  They also add stuff.
    I know you don't agree with that way of working, but that's the way they do it and I don't think they are going to change that just because you aren't happy with that  :)
    That is in my mind the biggest problem: "...  but they don't just fix bugs.  They also add stuff".
    Why are things broken after an upgrade. Do the fixes this or the new stuff or a combination of both.
    How do you find that out.

It is what @MarcoF post earlier about things what connecting each other like the 433 problem.
    Repair the main pillar of Homey first: voice, RF, BT, IR. The community needs those for making there app's.
    So, make once a while a version that ONLY repair bugs.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    @PimBliek ;
    -1, not cool to kickstart a flamewar in that way.....

and again it shows that's impossible to have a normal discussion with different opinions on this forum.
    If somdy says something not positive, then theirs always somebody how things he/she needs to play the flamewar/bitching/whining ball.

:heart:
  • https://www.youtube.com/embed/AWtCittJyr0

Is on the back of my mind...

"An error occurred. Please try again later."

I think instead of the embed link, you need to use the origional youtube url.

And yes, technically .24 is closer to 1.0 then .23, indicating a bigger improvement then has been rolled out in the past.

Take a look at firmware.athom.com

from 0.8.17 we skipped to 0.8.20

Resulting in the new pairing wizard, which was a big release and in my opinion a good one.

This also resulted in some bugs but remember bugs were also fixed (IR + Z-wave)

I hope we skipping one version yet again will indicate some greater stability or cool new features. (Bluetooth? :o )

• Why does suddenly everbody think how to run a company because they bought a homey and are waiting for it. 
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited March 2016
    @MathijsFrencken
    For you was the 0.8.20 release a good one. Not for me with the 433 issue. Almost 3 weeks now without Homey.
    Making the .22 not stable, with reason, I can wait at least one week more for the .24 maybe become stable.
    The last version that was a stable one was the .17.  

For the definition of stable:  https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/13793/#Comment_13793
  • @Mister.Green 
    +1
  • MarkVanWindenMarkVanWinden Member
    edited March 2016
    well, hopes the next patch fixes some issues...

First I had a ball with a nice LED ring, now even the LED ring turns red...

Havent used home since it was delivered. (struggles of a geekbacker) used it for about an hour in a month time..
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    @Mister.Green ;
    I have no idea how to run a company, but i have some experience with building Applications.

If the hardware and app-core is not 100%, then the GUI is worthless.
  • MarcoF said:
    @PimBliek ;
    -1, not cool to kickstart a flamewar in that way.....

and again it shows that's impossible to have a normal discussion with different opinions on this forum.
    I'm afraid you are misinterpreting me here. I just saw this was going nowhere, like a flamewar. Flamewars are silly, IMHO. I'm totally in favor of being able to express every opinion on the forum. I have been quite critical about Athom before.

We could go on for days if the versioning strategy of Athom is good or bad. I'm just saying I don't care too much: as long as bugs are squashed.

But... wasn't this topic meant to discuss version 0.22? Let's do that instead :). Whatever it is called :). I don´t have a Homey yet but I´m highly interested how people experience this version and which bugs are found.

• I saw and got your point, but calling it a ******** is not helping the discussion.

I'm also very curious on how people experience this release :smile: 

• Arjan said:
    Emile said:
    There's a bug in .22 that sometimes freezes Homey when it starts talking. You can prevent this by disabling the microphone.

It's fixed in .23, which we'll push to bèta monday if all our tests pass.
    Any news on .23

euh ...... say what ???? I bought/participated in this project because of speech control ........
    ........... last attemp, wait until .24 , else it will be found in the dustbin , and yes I am annoyed ..... no progress made what so ever, it looks to me they like to tinker with new applications, rather then make the standard better ....... looks like I'm at work again
  • MarkVanWindenMarkVanWinden Member
    edited March 2016
    . no progress made what so ever, 
    No communication about progress what so ever,  - FTFY

So there will be progress but we have to wait until they decide to give us the update with details.
  • PandaPanda Member
    Here is your "No progress what so ever"
    I have the feeling that a lot of kickstarter backers here aren't kickstarter material but just regular customers that want their product fast. Kickstarter is about investing in an idea/product and in return for helping the startup you "might" get a product in return, this includes all the baby steps to become a grown product which will one day be full retail ready.

If you can't handle this just sell your Homey and come back when it is available in retail stores, otherwise act like a real "geek" and deal with the bugs and be part of an amazing journey into following Homey getting grown up.

• Panda said:
    Here is your "No progress what so ever"
    I have the feeling that a lot of kickstarter backers here aren't kickstarter material but just regular customers that want their product fast. Kickstarter is about investing in an idea/product and in return for helping the startup you "might" get a product in return, this includes all the baby steps to become a grown product which will one day be full retail ready.

If you can't handle this just sell your Homey and come back when it is available in retail stores, otherwise act like a real "geek" and deal with the bugs and be part of an amazing journey into following Homey getting grown up.

Which channel are you in on slack? Have the feeling for some time that I'm not seeing all the messages.. This is my communication overview of today:

• PandaPanda Member
    @Reflow developers channel
This discussion has been closed.