This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Version 0.8.20

Comments

• Wow, is there really no one that understands @MarcoWijk and why he's frustrated with this whole situation? Is no one looking from a end user/consumer standpoint to this situation?

Seriously, if you want to be able to keep enjoying your Homey when it's deliverd Athom really needs to step up, the money they have now will not last if no new sales are created! At the rate it's going now only geeks will keep faith and that's not the group Athom can run a business on to keep the needed environment available!

Let the flaming comence!

• @DaneeDeKruyff I totally agree with you. The whole Homey is dependent on operating servers, so sure we want to have good healthy company behind it.

We can approximately calculate how much money Athom received from Kickstarter, pre-orders, other funding.
    References:
    200.000€ - fees: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/athom/homey-the-living-room-talk-to-your-home/description
    200.000€ pre-orders (just a guess)
    1 mio € investment: https://www.athom.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Athom-funded-for-over-1-million-euros-with-latest-investment-round2.pdf

However it would be nice from Athom to receive some confirmation, they have enough funding to actually deliver stable product for mass sales.
  • Wow, is there really no one that understands @MarcoWijk and why he's frustrated with this whole situation? Is no one looking from a end user/consumer standpoint to this situation?

Seriously, if you want to be able to keep enjoying your Homey when it's deliverd Athom really needs to step up, the money they have now will not last if no new sales are created! At the rate it's going now only geeks will keep faith and that's not the group Athom can run a business on to keep the needed environment available!

Let the flaming comence!

I think everyone  is aware of the risks. But creating flame-wars or going on about negative points instead of constructive feedback will create a self fulfilling prophecy. Because all that negative speculation doesnt lead to new sales only cancellations.

I think people should learn to manage expectations when you fund this kind of start-ups, if you cant handle that you should stay a customer and not a backer. People should also not compare to other kickstarters that had a less complex product. 
  • Seriously, if you want to be able to keep enjoying your Homey when it's deliverd Athom really needs to step up, the money they have now will not last if no new sales are created! At the rate it's going now only geeks will keep faith and that's not the group Athom can run a business on to keep the needed environment available!

Which is exactly why they're slowing down delivery... they want to mature the product and have time to fix the known issues before more units are shipped... 'all we need is just a little patience'...
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited March 2016

Homey will get there, Is just a small step to get rid of the first bugs. It supports many platforms so i was bound to have a lot of bugs.
    Just don't sidetrack aka keychains and release a weekly experimental on for example the Friday.
    The Friday Build so geeks can play in the weekend and report so Atom can bugfix the rest of the working week And so on unil 1.0

• DenWDenW Member
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/13364/#Comment_13364

At this point, there is no end user\consumer view as he is a beta-tester. That is the state of the software, it is not enduser\consumr ready. And sure, even as a beta-tester you can get frustrated. Quite understandable! He's trying to get something working that needs to be fixed on a lower level.

The good news is that Emile stated that Athom is focussing on faster updates. This should solve issues more quickly bringing some rest into the "betatester" group.

With regard to their funding: recently there was a job opening at Athom for a lead app developer (i think). It would not make sense to hire a lead app developer if you are low on funding. The companies financial state is probably proprietary information (i wouldn't give that information to my competitors), so i'd be surprised if that was made available. But ofcourse Athom is wecome to chime in. :)

No flaming necessary.. and I totally agree with @kitkat ;
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We have enough funds to keep the company running for a long time. And time is all we need now :-)
  • Emile said:
    We have enough funds to keep the company running for a long time. And time is all we need now :-)
    That's what we wanted to here!! 
  • Emile said:
    Good news @Emile! Very much appreciated, you guys had me worried.

• Emile said:
    Glad to hear that. Hopefully all these idiotic speculations will stop now... 
  • Let's hope so, to bad 'these idiotic speculations' were needed to get the communication going.
  • Honestly, I never saw the need for speculations about whether or not Athom still had enough money...
  • Come on guys were watiing for so long and last friday we got an update. Relax, sitback and enjoy life. Homey will come :).
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2016
    I can't relax, I'm waiting to get home to test something on my Homey :tongue: 

My homey doesn't listen, but apparently it's because I turned the led ring off, so I really, really, really want to get home to test it now :smiley: 

• mruitermruiter Member
    edited March 2016

Not to nag, but that statement is "Wij van WC-eend" , or don't you guys know that expression.

I'm a Multi bulti miljonair. Guess you guys also believe that because of my blond hairs and blue eyes.

Nevertheless, i think Homey has enough investors on there great idea to keep up for some time.
    I't's not for nothing it already had a place on the mediamarkt website.....

I'm confident that they will make Homey a god in just a few more firmware updates

• MarcoWijkMarcoWijk Member
    edited March 2016
    Guys, and girls  i value all your opinions. Even those who disagree with me. I however did not question the financial status of athom. I only commented on the way they work and that way ... well enough said already. I would like nothing better for athom then to succeed with Homey and hope they prove me wrong. 

The end of my comments. 

• MarcoWijk said:
    I would like nothing better for athom then to succeed with Homey and hope they prove me wrong.
    Emile said:
    ... time is all we need now :-)
  • Fire69 said:
    I can't relax, I'm waiting to get home to test something on my Homey :tongue: 

My homey doesn't listen, but apparently it's because I turned the led ring off, so I really, really, really want to get home to test it now :smiley: 

My led ring is also off and does not cause an issue with voice commands. I believe the issue could occur when the led ring brightness is not 100% instead of off. But I'm not entirely sure so do test of course.
  • Well, it does make a difference apparently.  I got Homey to react a couple of times, but it's still a 1 in 10 chance...
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited March 2016
    After a long weekend not reading in this forum there are a lot of post that I don't understand.

Why are the user that has problems get the blame when Athom upgrade to version 0.08.020 *).
    They had to be clear there Homey from all data.
    To clear 20+ KaKu devices and pair them later again is not fair to ask. Those 20+ has found some nasty bugs.

For me there had to be looked to the differences between the .017  and .020 versions in that part what gives the problem. Asking for data from your Homey is normal to do.

For people who like every complain to see as flaming.
    From WiKipedia
    Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity. It can also be the swapping of insults back and forth or with many groups teaming up on a single victim.

When the first batch was out there came questions: where are the reactions of those first batchers.
    One of them seems to understand what could be the case: there was nothing to tell.
    Yes indeed, there was then nothing to tell from the super secret test forum.

There where bug found, yes but after a few I start thinking 'what and how have they tested'.
    The big problem was the communication.
    On one occasion I ask for a reaction and I receive a not nice one. 
    'It was wasting of valuable time'.
    But when I looked in the time line there has giving an answer elsewhere on a not important post in a thread that was related on that where was asking for.
    That felt like a slap in my face

Then the version updates, where I coming from  0.08.005.
    That in the beginning some good working stuff not working any more is understandable.
    After 2 or 3 version upgrade it had to be solved. Sadly no, its going still every update with even a bricked one.
    My Homey is still switched off from Friday. So I don't trust version update any more.
    When you like to help out to look for bugs you have needed the latest version them I am out.

*) With the promises quick version updates you need more numbers.    ;)

@MarcoWijk
    Thanks for the support.
  • I believe there is an option not to automatically update (And I think this option is working)
  • That option I know and I shall tick it off when I switch my Homey on later.
    What is not sure is a power reboot with Homey. Do Homey looks then also to that choice?
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited March 2016
    Not sure if that happens, but if possible make a reservation in your dhcp and don't give a gateway or do not give valid dns servers. Unplugging the wan connection would obviously also work, but that would also have an effect on other connected hosts.
    Be nice to know if logging into your homey without an internet connection is possible. 
  • Well, the led ring trick did it to get homey to listen to me (you can even turn of the ring again after the training...) , but I don't know if it's my English (which isn't that bad I think) or the speech recognition is't that great.
    'Test 1,2,3' gets translated to 'i just want to drink', 'stop' becomes 'so 3', ...  :anguished: 
  • edited March 2016
    New update with version 0.8.22 just got updated to my homey :-)
    Let's see what changed...

System info now shows the amount of system memory an the memory in use, and how it's used.
  • After 7 attempts, with 10 minutes interval where Homey was switched off, no version 0.08.022 here.
    Next try: late afternoon.
  • After 7 attempts, with 10 minutes interval where Homey was switched off, no version 0.08.022 here.
    Next try: late afternoon.
    If yourre < 0.20 you should tick experimental updates, then untick 'normal updates', tick it again and the update should appear.
  • Same here, had to do some on and off ticking before it appeared :)
  • No luck here.
    tick off - tick on - power reboot. No result.
    tick off -  power reboot - tick on - power reboot. No result.
    tick off - tick on - power reboot. No result.

Really no time now for further testing.
  • TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited March 2016
    It seems that I have to throw Homey on hear head, with the feeling to do that throwing literal.
    That is not what I going to do now. Both of them.
    Looking to the .022 thread is no use to do it now.

If I can Homey not upgrade the normal way then, for now, no way.

Edit.
    When I looked to the firmware page now, 16:22, I saw that the 022 is becoming experimental.
    This was not this morning.

This discussion has been closed.