This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

[Video] Homey and Doorlock

Comments

• We are working on making it more user friendly. The Z-Wave apps will make you device completely plug and play. For the non Z-Wave Plus devices that don't use group 1 for communication with the main controller, you'll have to manually set the correct association.
  • I only have Non Zwave Plus devices....

So for example i have;
    1 GreenWave Zwave Sockets and I want to use it to switch LED lights in the kitchen.
    1 Fibaro Zwave Relay and I want to use it to switch Frontgarden lights.
    1 2x1.5kWh Fibaro Zwave Relay and I want to use it to switch Bathroom lights.

What do i need to configure in Homey to get this work? 
  • You can always try with 1 module that's not very important.  That's what i'm doing.  I have some lights I just control manually with the switch 99% of the time.
    I excluded them from my other controller and am experimenting with those to see what happens.
  • All association groups has to be described in the device manual. Look for the group with keywords like "status reporting" or "main controller".
  • Ah ok, still not getting it....

• Taco said:
    ...Your average Z-Wave controller has a database with many devices to know with which group an association has to be made in order to receive updates from the device. We don't have that...
    So at this point in time homeys z-wave abilities are below average other Z-Wave controllers. I understand there's no database, but will configuration information from homeys in the wild be used to create such a database?

"Do you allow use to use your configuration information anonymously to improve homey's functionality? Yes/No"

If this is a checkbox during installation/configuration with a good explaination what the information is used for I'm sure you'll get enough data to build a decent database.
  • But we don't wan't to create a database  ;)

I'm building a generic template to support all Z-Wave devices. For some custom features devices may have there are apps. They are also used for little things to make the devices 100% plug and play.
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited February 2016
    @Taco ;
    I mentioned that the lock seems to lose connection after a while, when I reboot homey or use the lock with  smartphone it becomes aviable again. Will this be fixed with the full implementation of its command class ?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Taco said:
    All association groups has to be described in the device manual. Look for the group with keywords like "status reporting" or "main controller".
    I checked the manual for the Fibaro 2xRelay:

Fibaro manual says:

1st group is assigned to key no. 1
    2nd group is assigned to key no. 2
    3rd group reports state of devices. Only one device can be
    associated to this group.

So I should set group 3 to 1.
    I checked the setting of the main node.  Group 1 is set to 1.0 ??
    If I remove that from group 1 and enter 1 in group 3, I can't save it... When I change it back to what it was, it saves right away.

Complicated :smile: 
  • @Taco are you going to create a fibaro app?
  • djeskodjesko Member
    edited February 2016
    Peao said:
    @Taco ;
    I mentioned that the lock seems to lose connection after a while, when I reboot homey or use the lock mit my smartphone it becomes aviable again. Will this be fixed with the full implementation of its command class ?
    I did have the same problem on my hc2, can it be the lock? 

Did return the lock 
  • I mentioned that the lock seems to lose connection after a while, when I reboot homey or use the lock mit my smartphone it becomes aviable again. Will this be fixed with the full implementation of its command class ?
    If one command isn't acked or no reply is received the device becomes unavailable. I'm planning some tweaks to make this more reliable. You can try selecting it in the dropdown, in the settings, and press Refresh Node.

So I should set group 3 to 1.
    Yes

I checked the setting of the main node.  Group 1 is set to 1.0 ??
    If I remove that from group 1 and enter 1 in group 3, I can't save it... When I change it back to what it was, it saves right away.
    Can you post a screenshot?
    @Taco are you going to create a fibaro app?
    Yes.
  • Thanks for the quick response,
    Should I set the danalock to group 3 aswell?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Taco said:

Sure :)

BTW, sorry for kind of hijacking this thread :pensive: 
  • @Taco are you going to create a Aeotec app?
  • I'll PM you Fire69.

I don't know at the moment for which brand were going to make an app and what brands not. Depends if the devices need one. We'll announce it when the time is there.
  • Peao said:
    Thanks for the quick response,
    Should I set the danalock to group 3 aswell?
    @Taco ;
    Thats my last question for a while :smiley:  <3
  • The Danalock is a Z-Wave Plus device so you don't have to change any associations for it to work out of the box. I don't know by head how many associations the Danalock supports, you'll have to check the manual for that.
  • @Fire69 ;
    indeed complicated.
    Maybe for now a dedicated Zwave Config topic?

@Taco
    Bit disappointing to read that Zwave support is that complicated and apps are needed...
    When to expect the apps? X Days/months? 
  • MarcoF said:
    @Fire69 ;
    indeed complicated.
    Maybe for now a dedicated Zwave Config topic?

@Taco
    Bit disappointing to read that Zwave support is that complicated and apps are needed...
    When to expect the apps? X Days/months? 
    Maybe I'll start a Z-wave topic in the future, we'll see how things turn out in a couple of firmwares  ;)

It's no different than with your Vera actually.  Here is't called apps, in your Vera it's included in a database so you don't notice it.  Different style, same result (in the future  :) )
  • Future.... which is a broad term 

My point for the near future;
    When will these apps be ready and can I use all my (battery powered)modules (Fibaro/GreenWave/Aeon/Philio) at delivery "OOTB"?

And its not important how it works, only that it works and for now i don't have a good feeling about that for the near future(1-2months!?).
  • I'm waiting for the new .18 firmware, then I'll test more.
    My current controller (Kickstarter Almond+) had a lot of problems also in the beginning (still has, but it's usable now...)
    When I look around, even Fibaro HC2 and other big brands have problems with new modules.
    So you just need patience I guess. :)
  • Fire69 said:
    Taco said:

Sure :)

BTW, sorry for kind of hijacking this thread :pensive: 
    @Taco Lets say node with id 2 must be associated with node 5 in order to let node 2 directly control node 5 without building a flow, you can add it in the group 1 associations field? If so, what is the correct syntax?
    I also read that a motiondetection reported by a zwave device can not (yet) be used in a flow. Is that correct, or am i missing something and is this related in the device being zwave plus or not?
  • MarcoF said:
    Future.... which is a broad term 

My point for the near future;
    When will these apps be ready and can I use all my (battery powered)modules (Fibaro/GreenWave/Aeon/Philio) at delivery "OOTB"?

And its not important how it works, only that it works and for now i don't have a good feeling about that for the near future(1-2months!?).
    Maybe I'm interpreting your posts wrong, but you seem to expect a (near?) perfect OOB experience... And you are supporting kickstarters (even early bird). Somehow those two don't go together most of the time (weird isn't it, when you're dealing with startups <<<beep>>> (sarcasm detector went off)).
    If you really expect that you should be part of the MM crowd in my opinion.

No one can tell you when these apps will be ready, since they don't know. This is still a development phase in wich bugs are discovered and patched. And I'm guessing they'll want to splat the main part of the bugs before investing serious time in apps...

I'll wager an answer to your question:
    No. No, you won't be able to use all of your modules OOB (fully).

But that's just an assumption on my part, and I don't see why you would expect much differently.

Athom does seem to work hard on fixing stuff. Why not try to be part of the solution instead of the problem?

And @ taco/athom, thnx for the replies, keep up the spirit ;)
  • My 2 cents: I understand Athom's approach here. With a Vera we sometimes have to wait MONTHS before a new product is supported. With the Homey EVERY new device should work right away, since it is generic.

This is nice in theory but does bring some problems. For instance, people are not used to setting association groups. I think a good manual or a tooltip when adding devices should guide you to it or remind you of it. As soon as you get used to this, it shouldn't be a real problem. It is however a big drawback of Z-Wave. Not something that Athom can help.
  • @PimBliek I agree. Therefore i drop some questions in this forum so i can learn how to approach things within Homey and it may be of some help for other people as wel.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    I was indeed expecting all Zwave modules are working OOTB because of Athoms approach, but now I hear "a lot" devices will need some sort of "app" to work properly or as design by the manufacturer (and because the do marketing, the end-user is expecting that level of functionality).

On the other hand I only hear troubles about Zwave modules. 

I only "say" what I "hear". 

And the only thing i'm say about my own situations is that a lot of thing in our home are automated based on statuses of Fibaro relay, AEON plugs, Zwave Plugs and in most cases its based on Lights status and power usage.

And if Zwave is not solid enough or functions/features are not working properly, then I keep my Homey in the box (with very much pain in my :heart: ) 

And the only thing i'm kindly asking; which devices need a App and when can we expect these apps?
    I ask that because these apps are not on the "trello-map" (or do you guys mean "Z-Wave Apps API" as "Z-Wave Device Apps" ?)
    But I think the Zwave App API is the API which is needed to get these apps working. So because the Zwave API is still in the "Features we're working on" "status" the real Zwave Device Apps will be released much later.

• @MarcoF Z-Wave devices don't need an app perse, they need a user to RTFM... and set group associations. And yes, that's different dan on Vera of HC2 but not necessarily *BAD*. Calm down ;).
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't have any Zwave-modules but from following the threads it's a lot harder to setup and understand then Kaku, isn't it?
  • PimBliek said:
    @MarcoF Z-Wave devices don't need an app perse, they need a user to RTFM... and set group associations. And yes, that's different dan on Vera of HC2 but not necessarily *BAD*. Calm down .
    It's not really a case of RTFM here I think. 
    The way of working is fundamentally different then with other controllers. Finding the correct association in the manual of the module isn't all that easy sometimes (at least not for me). So that's something that will need to be explained very well. 

I don't have any Zwave-modules but from following the threads it's a lot harder to setup and understand then Kaku, isn't it?
    It seems harder than it is :) 
    There's some confusion right now because of the associations. 
    But basically you put your device in 'discoverable' mode, you let Homey look for it, and it's added. Simple as that :) 
This discussion has been closed.