This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Plex application - main discussion thread

Comments

• Hopefully next week some more time to dive into these issues.. As prep, can you guys maybe post your PMS versions? I heard Plex had an update that screwed with the API xml format.. maybe that is an issue for some of you..
  • Hi Mike, I currently have

Version 1.3.3.3148  Er is een update beschikbaar.

Will update to PlexMediaServer_1.3.4.3285 and retry but I don't think anythink will change

• My currunt version 1.3.4.3285
  • chrisboerchrisboer Member
    edited February 2017
    PlexMediaServer_1.3.4.3285 still no media update

now also error

Stack trace:

No stack trace available

Exit code: null
    Exit signal: SIGABRT
  • Is there any progress since the last post.

Same issue here. no media update.

Plexmediaserver_1.3.4.3285

I see no errors

• I've installed the app, with Plex Server & Player running on my nVidia SHIELD. 

Ive successfully linked the app to my account, but the devices that show up are... strange. 

One is is a local IP address, but out of the current range of my home network, so needless to say when I try to connect, it doesn't work....
  • phbphb Member
    Hi @MikeOne  if you have some time , please check the app !!
  • Time is a challenge. I really need contributors on this project to keep it alive. Not sure if maybe @Emile can assist in that? I also updated the Github readme to ask for contributors:

--------------------------------

contributors wanted!

Due to a severe lack of time, I'm no longer able to maintain this project on a regular basis. Even though I'll try to find as much time as I can to make updates, I'm not always capable of responding quickly. Therefore, I'm looking for javascripters that can join me on this project. Your name will be included in the contributors section on the Athom App Store. This is a nice and challenging project with plenty of room for improvements and also a great way to learn more about NodeJS, Speech logic and PMS. So do you fit the below profile?

* Medior/senior Javascripter
    * Familier with (or user of) Plex Media Server
    * Some available free time
    * Owns a Homey of course!

If you are interested, please feel free to drop me a line at michiel @ kikkert . nl

--------------------------------

In  the mean time, I'll do my best to find some time to address the current issues.

• phbphb Member
    @MikeOne,  did you hear from  @Emile?
  • Nope, nothing..
  • phbphb Member
    Hi @MikeOne, I think nobody is interested  anymore  in this great app! What is a shame because it liked it very much. I'm  not a programmer,  for me it is all abracadabra.
  • Same here, not skilled enough to help but fond user of Plex and Homey. Still hope someone will join development soon.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2017
    Don't think Athom will give priority at current apps made from the community (just like Google/Apple don't support apps made by developers) when they are busy with APP SDK V2 wich should make it easier to develop apps for Homey. App SDK V2 will come with 1.4/1.5 see the updates from Emile -> https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/52324/#Comment_52324

But maybe @Bram can give a shot at the team of Athom and ask what can be done by Athom to support this app.

Edit:
    You can also contact Plex to see if they see a market for an app on Homey just like the mobile apps they have :) 
  • phbphb Member
    @lubbertkramer I don't  think any of you suggestions  is going to help mutch.  I use 2 for me specific  apps and they don't work anymore, because the makers stopped  supporting them. Every time  Athom makes a change the apps stop working until they maybe get fixed by the developer. 
  • phbphb Member
    I did contact plex by the way,  waiting for response....
  • phb said:
    @lubbertkramer I don't  think any of you suggestions  is going to help mutch.  I use 2 for me specific  apps and they don't work anymore, because the makers stopped  supporting them. Every time  Athom makes a change the apps stop working until they maybe get fixed by the developer. 
    But that's how it works for apps made by developer/community, it needs attention. Just like for example apps on your phone/tablet with android/ios as OS that a developer always needs to change/update the app if the company makes changes/updates to the OS, Athom is no exception in this. 

phb said:
    I did contact plex by the way,  waiting for response....
    Great, maybe they see something in it :)
  • phbphb Member
    @lubbertkramer  But  we are not talking about a phone here ! ;)
    edited June 2017
    phb said:
    @lubbertkramer  But  we are not talking about a phone here ! ;)
    Put computer with software/games on the OS, your smartwatch,  Homey or everything that has  OS and a community that can build apps in place of the phone and you got the same situation. When the OS got updated / changed or new functionality is added/improved/removed the app needs to be adjusted to that and that needs to be done by the developer from the app. 
  • phbphb Member
    @lubbertkramer       So the safest way to use your Homey is only use apps made by athom.and therefore only use hardware that is support by apps from athom.
    edited June 2017
    phb said:
    @lubbertkramer       So the safest way to use your Homey is only use apps made by athom.and therefore only use hardware that is support by apps from athom.
    If you also only use the standard apps made by Google on your Android device, apps made by Apple on your iPhone/iPad, software made by microsoft  on your PC or any other similair device/OS situation and you don't use games/software/apps from other people/companies then the answer is yes but if you also install apps/games/software from third party where you are dependent from them instead from your OS/Hardware supplier for  support/development then it's a no. 
  • BramBram Member
    edited June 2017
    @phb I had a talk with Emile about helping with the development of the Plex app. We understand that you would like us to help with developing the app, however we are not able to support you right now with developing the app because we are really busy with the Homey software and the apps developed by Athom... 

The best way is to ask around on the forum and see if another developer is interested in helping this project.

As @lubbertkramer stated, with the release of the APP SDK v2 it will be easier to develop apps for Homey!
  • Hi all,

I am trying to connect plex to Homey, but after the PIN-input, i receive the message:

"No (valid) Servers found :-(" 

I did all the steps in the introduction, but somehow it is not working? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Ruben
  • phbphb Member
    @Roephoed Hi Ruben, you didn't do anything  wrong , the app isn't working  anymore
  • @phb ah, thats explains a lot. Thanks!

• Time is a challenge for the most of us. @MikeOne your repo is up to date? 

• Time is a challenge for the most of us. @MikeOne your repo is up to date? 

Fairly much yes. Can you help out?
  • edited August 2017
    MikeOne said:
    Time is a challenge for the most of us. @MikeOne your repo is up to date? 

Fairly much yes. Can you help out?
    Dunno if I can help. Busy with rewriting my two apps to Sdk2 and also short on time. But if the code is on github, I can always have a look if I understand your code. 

Besides that I have a plex server running and a lifetime plex pass. But time is an issue for me too
  • Time is my biggest enemy at the moment, and really has been for the past 7 - 9 months or so. I have mulitple paid projects and also my own site that is in desperate need of a re-design. I simply can not find the time to commit to this app. Also, seeing that Plex made some updates to the API's and Homey as well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend considerable time to get the app where it needs to be again. I do feel bad about it though, hate to disappoint the community like this. 

I hope someone can pick this up. I can then at least provide support on it and help with the PR's.
  • I have cloned the project, made some major changes and got everything working. And since I got some time over and is pretty passionated of homey and plex I will create my own app out of it and try support it from all my heart! <3

Hope you don't mind mike :)
    edited September 2017
    warting said:
    I have cloned the project, made some major changes and got everything working. And since I got some time over and is pretty passionated of homey and plex I will create my own app out of it and try support it from all my heart! <3

Hope you don't mind mike :)
    Why not just pull/merge the original and let @MikeOne update the app so users get a message there is an update :) You can be also known as developer for the app page (can be put in the app.json)