This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] GPS-Trace App (0.4.0)

Comments

• Good idea, but geofence window shows up like this:

Does a ctrl+r (reload) help?
    Does a ctrl+r (reload) help?
    Nope
  • Can you post the content of your chrome console window (open it with f12) after a reload?
  • OskarOskar Member
    I played around with GPS-trace this weekend. It is promissing, however I feel something missing. I run GPS tag on my iPhone and it works well as long as the app is running. When I close the app, the location is no longer tracked. Than, when I start the GPS tag app I also need to manually turn on the connection to the server. This means that geofencing kinda works at random for me. 

I've set it up with IFTTT and this always works, even though a little less capabilities. I can even run this on all my family iPhones and use geofencing per individual. 
  • I personaly only use real GPS-trackers with the gps-trace.com service, that works perfectly! For my phone I use IFTTT, that works perfect too.
  • I just submitted version 0.4.0 to the app store. The previous version was not compatible with Homey firmware 0.9.1.
  • it takes a lot of time to be published
  • satbopper said:
    it takes a lot of time to be published
    Its published now!
  • Yay!  <3
  • JanHJanH Member
    edited November 2016
    @ErikVanDongen
    This morning I installed the GPS-trace app. Registering at their site as user and with my device (Android Phone) was ok. Installing your app also. Looks really great!
    But when trying to test some flows I came across some problems. Maybe you can advice.
    Firstly I have the same problem as earlier mentioned by @MilanVanDenMuyzenberg: an empty geofence screen. But.... the map is returning as soon as I delete my device (the smartphone) from the devices-menu. When I re-install it the map has gone again.
    The second thing I really cannot explain nor understand is the following logging-item:
    event: error
    {"function":"internal > Tracking > getPosition","error":{"message":"Cannot read property 'x' of null"},"stack":"TypeError: Cannot read property 'x' of null\n at /lib/location.js:134:21\n at /lib/location.js:252:23\n at /lib/location.js:306:7\n at process._tickCallback (node.js:369:9)"}

Could you (or anybody else who came across these issues) give me any help?

add. After re-reading the whole discussion about the app I realized that these questions were partly discussed earlier. Sorry for asking again but the older answers were not sufficient in my case.
    So I did some extra experiments. F.e. I downloaded the Android version of the "Orange-app". After opening login went fine but after that the app stopped working rightaway, again and again. So I cannot give it a try.
    Btw at the original app the position of my phone is mapped very correct. Why cannot I use that app?
  • @JanH I will investigate this.
    Most likely possibillity is that your phone never reported its location to gps-orange.com. Is your location shown correctly on the gps-orange.com website? This can explain both app crash and map load error.

• @ErikVanDongen ;
    Tnx for your quick reply. I definitely used the wrong (old?) website. Now I could login with the same identity to orange.gps-trace.com. That's the right one, I presume?
    Indeed the position of my mobile is not seen at the map. I donot why not. GPS-function is ON, f.e. Googlemaps does show the exact position. But maybe I didnot install the device at the orange-site in the right way. At the website my unit is said to be offline. I cannot find an alternative way of installing the Android-phone. I doubt about the choice of the "device-type". I used "Mobile Devices C4D" because I didnot see any better alternative. What am I doing wrong?
  • @ErikVanDongen ;
    In the meantime I re-installed my mobile, I think with the right details ("GPS-tag") now.
    Still message "unit offline" and.... Android-app still stops direct after starting. So, I am really confused.
  • ErikVanDongenErikVanDongen Member
    edited November 2016
    @JanH ;;On your phone install 'GPS Trace Tag' (by GURTAM). In the app browse to 'Settings' > 'Unit settings' and remember the 'Unit unique ID'. Now start the the service in the main menu of the app.

On svcs.gps-trace.com configure your phone as a 'GPS Tag Orange (iOS or Android)' device. Enter the 'Unit unique ID' you can find in the app on your phone:

• @ErikVanDongen ;
    Many thanks for trying to help me solving the problems. For this moment I quit using it because of two reasons.
    Firstly and most important is that I think that the Android-version of my phone (5.1.1) is not accurate for this. Unfortunately it cannot be updated.
    Secondly, but obviously discutable, I am a little bit suspicious about the fact that during installing the Android-app (made in Russia) I saw that the author of the app wants too many personal details about my identity and technical equipment. F.e. asking for WiFi-details is a little bit too much to me. But maybe I'm too suspicious......
    Anyhow, you did all you could to help me on track! And... your app is a great idea because the build-in presency app is far from reliable.
  • I understand. The decision is yours to make. I use these apps and services for years now. Orange GPS trace is part of Wialon.  A large b2b fleet management company based in Belarus. 
  • Oskar said:
    I played around with GPS-trace this weekend. It is promissing, however I feel something missing. I run GPS tag on my iPhone and it works well as long as the app is running. When I close the app, the location is no longer tracked. Than, when I start the GPS tag app I also need to manually turn on the connection to the server. This means that geofencing kinda works at random for me. 

I've set it up with IFTTT and this always works, even though a little less capabilities. I can even run this on all my family iPhones and use geofencing per individual. 
    How did you setup "I've set it up with IFTTT and this always works, even though a little less capabilities. I can even run this on all my family iPhones and use geofencing per individual."

because I can only connect IFTTT to one homey and so to only one iPhone, this works perfectly but I can not add IFTTT for any other famility member nor add other account or other phones via IFTTT.

• i cant add a geofence in the settings menu. when i click on the + button nothing happens?
  • Leeuw1960 said:
    i cant add a geofence in the settings menu. when i click on the + button nothing happens?
    This is most likely a bug in the Homey Desktop App. When using Chrome a little toolbar will appear where you can select a polygon, rectangle or circle shaped geofence.
  • Leeuw1960 said:
    i cant add a geofence in the settings menu. when i click on the + button nothing happens?
    This is most likely a bug in the Homey Desktop App. When using Chrome a little toolbar will appear where you can select a polygon, rectangle or circle shaped geofence.
    Thanks that dit the trick
  • @ErikVanDongen
    Hi Erik
    Do you think it is possible to add more gps-trace accounts, or maybe it's possible to install multiple instances of the app?
    The limit on vehicle trackers (I use a GPS306 OBD2) is just 1.
    I don't have a fleet, it's just for my wife's car and mine, so to me, that doesn't justify to take a payed account with Wialon.
    Thanks for the app, because it's great to have this information in Homey !
  • @YvesGeffens
    Hi Yves. When you download the app from the github repository (https://github.com/irritanterik/homey-gps-trace.com) , change the namespace in app.json from 'com.gps-trace' to 'something.else' or 'com.gps-trace2' you can run this instance next to the app store version.
    Downsides are: no auto update, double creation of geofences.
  • Good enough for me ! I'll give it a try.

Partly off-topic
    I noticed that gps-trace.com is not registering car-faults (the diagnostic errorcodes). Do you know by any chance that it's possible to get that data in another way?
    Or maybe gps-trace is recording it, and it's possible to read out that data in your app?
    For now I'm getting warnings by sms.
  • ErikVanDongenErikVanDongen Member
    edited February 2017
    @YvesGeffens
    I've never seen these car-faults. I think it's not an information stream GPS-Trace supports. Can you check it under 'messages' within GPS-Trace website? Or bring your car to the nearest service point ;).
  • @ErikVanDongen
    Well, it's not that I don't know if something is wrong. I have an ELM327 BT dongle and I can readout these car-faults, I can even reset the logs.
    But I don't have the room to put both dongles in at the same time. I'll go for the GPS module.
    It's nice to be able to switch on lights and stuff just by gps-location.

• MaRaMaRa Member
    Is it possible to get only the latitude and longitude coordinates (of a device) as a tag?
    I would like to use these coordinates, in combination with the google maps app, to determine the driving time between two devices (phones).
  • Hi @MaRa
    The global Position tag contains Place, City, Lat and Lng:

Using another great app you can extract the lat and lng from this JSON and put it in a Better Logic variable:
    (card A20 from HTTP app):

Now you can use varText (containing the latitude) in other flows.

• Hi

I think something has changed at the gps-trace API.
    I get a notice "welcome to the new GPS-trace".
    No updates where coming in from gps-trace in Homey.
    I logged out, logged in again, and I get this

An error "Access denied", while using the login on the gps-trace.com website is successful and, when logging in again in homey, also results in something positive:

What's wrong? any idea?