This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] GPS-Trace App (0.4.0)

Comments

• After clicking 'test' the log is empty. Have to save settings again to bring back the log.
    I repeated this 5 times, 5 times the log is empty after pressing the test button in the flow.
    The log is saying (after saving settings again) that both divices are in geofence 'Thuis'.
  • Great, works! Indeed the wrong app. Hearing my Dutch address in English (waiting for Dutch to be improved) sounds somewhat funny but it is working. Thanks for the advice!
  • Plz don't tell me it is only workin on .32
  • After clicking 'test' the log is empty. Have to save settings again to bring back the log.
    I repeated this 5 times, 5 times the log is empty after pressing the test button in the flow.
    The log is saying (after saving settings again) that both divices are in geofence 'Thuis'.
    On what version are you?
     Can you show me that log? I don't expect messages about geofences after saving settings.
  • ;Rocodamelshe, just out of interest looking at your flow above: what command do you use to control Sonos?
  • @ErikVanDongen ; did send u the pic.

@Justjomi : Have some Sonos PHP code running on my Synology and calling it thru the http get command app
  • @Rocodamelshe, that's cheating (certainly for people without Synology  :). I have to wait for the Sonos app then.
  • Cheating it is! But it works like a charm so far.
  • I think the 'orange gps tag' app on your Iphone never send a location to GPS-trace.com. 
    Does gps-trace.com shows your location?
    Yes it does and it shows on homey ass wel :)

Didnt try out if GEO-Fencing worked. Didnt wat to go outside. Tell you tomorow.
  • ErikVanDongenErikVanDongen Member
    edited May 2016
    0burner0 said:
    I think the 'orange gps tag' app on your Iphone never send a location to GPS-trace.com. 
    Does gps-trace.com shows your location?
    Yes it does and it shows on homey as well 

Didnt try out if GEO-Fencing worked. Didnt wat to go outside. Tell you tomorow.
    But still has the error in recent logging messages?
    edited May 2016
    By the way: Flows like this will in a future version allmost auto-create when the automatic destination analysis function is released and enabled. Homey will learn what your destinations (geofences) is based on leaving a geofence. Combined with traffic information flow triggers like 'home in x minutes', and 'arrival time delayed with x minutes' will be implemented.

Work in progress:

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited May 2016
    After re-install the app works, thnx for the help and patience. The log seems to be empty all the time. When I leave a log window open like u asked me , all seems fine. After closing that window it's empty again. I'll let u know when somethings changing.  It's probably the 0.8.29 causing that.
    Cheers!
  • MennoMenno Member
    Wondering if I can use this on my windows mobile phone. Did a quick google but not finding a GPS Tag Orange app for it
  • Did receive the .32 update last night, log is still empty.
    Just for ur information
  • It works nice, just too bad that the android app just drains the battery because of the GPS lock. 
  • Yeah, same here.

• Yeah, same here.

have you tried this setting? 

• @ErikVanDongen then it is more accurate to use better presence when you just want homey to detect when you are home. No app on the phone and a bit more accurate because you have to be connected to your home WiFi. 

Anyway will fiddle with both solutions. GPS trace has of course more possibilities . 
  • If you only want to detect if you're home Better Presence is the better choice. I'm not sure if an extra device running the presence server is necessary. 
    I created the app mainly to track my car and trigger actions based on its position and direction. A Chinese € 30,- tracker is in my car for this purpose. Adding phones to the mix makes the fun only bigger.
  • Hi Erik, I had finaly time to install the app! Looks great and (what i've tested) work great too!

Do you think it is possible to add an option to add more accounts to the app? That because GPS-trace.com thinks my Chinese trackers are all car-trackers.. ;)
    edited May 2016
    @keverjeroen Well, that will be a lot of work. Maybe some day. For now you could fork the app on github, change the app-id and install it as a second instance with the cli (athom project --install). You'll have to create geofences and stuff in both apps then and maybe not all things would be intuitive. (I use this method to test new app versions on clean installs without harming my own setup)
    PM me here or in slack if you need help with it.
  • Version 0.2.1 is now available in the app store. Check the release notes in the start post.
  • JanHJanH Member
    @ErikVanDongen ;Your GPS-app seems to be great. I am considering to install and use it. However, I am wondering how about the reliability of the obligatory provider of gps-trace.com according to our datastorage etc. Any idea or experience about it?
  • JanH said:
    @ErikVanDongen ;Your GPS-app seems to be great. I am considering to install and use it. However, I am wondering how about the reliability of the obligatory provider of gps-trace.com according to our datastorage etc. Any idea or experience about it?
    Wialon (the company behind GPS-trace.com) is a big fleet management provider. You can read about it here . In the recent years I never experienced any down-time .
  • OskarOskar Member
    Erik,
    This app seems to be really doing what I am looking for. 
    I feel pretty silly not being able to make this app work on my iPhone.
    I have registered on the website, used the registration details on Homey and the same on my iPhone. It now seems I need to be adding a "unit" on my phone with some variables, but I am not really clear what I should be filling in. I tried with Device = iPhone ask tracker er and the unit id being my phone IMEI. That seems to not make it work.
    None of the 3 parts: The website info with units and geofences, homeys geofences, nor the settings on my iPhone, seem to be connecting or aliging what I think I set up. Basically my iPone does not seem to really register anywhere.

A little help appreciated, perhaps with a a (simple) description on what to do in setting it all up. Would you have such avail?
  • edited May 2016
    Oskar said:
    I feel pretty silly not being able to make this app work on my iPhone.
    I assume you are referring to the GPS Tag Orange app for your iPhone. Simply Start the tracking on the Main screen. Your device should popup on the GPS Trace site within a few minutes. Although the tracing is very impressive it will drain your battery. And I am not aware of a quick fix for that (best practice).
  • I track my phone (Android) with setting 'Positioning source' = 'Wireless networks'. For me this works acceptable. No battery drain and I have reliable geofence triggers (leaving work).
    I have not tested the setting 'GPS and wireless networks' yet. 
    But if you're a frequent car user you might consider buying a cheep gps-tracker device.
  • Seems a good solution. What app are you using? Can anyone recommend an iOS app that will work with GPS Trace Orange?
  • I use 'GPS Tag Orange' on Android.
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited May 2016
    Today around 15:30u my homey was hanging again (happens once a day). After a reboot around 17:30u (power off, power on) I see that the GSP-trace app settigs are missing.

The log tells me this:

And in the Geofences tab, the map is empty, completely grey.

After entering the settings again, it looks like everything is working again.