This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Solved

Control Horizon Ziggo

PhaetonPhaeton Member
edited July 2017 in Archive

Hi, anyone have an idea on how to control the Ziggo Horzion Box. There are apps created by thirth party, but I cannot figure out how to use the android code for Homey.

Tagged:

Comments

• Horizon doesn't seem to use Infrared, as I can control it with the remote through the wall. So it must be a Wifi/Bluetooth kind of protocol. But maybe it also reacts on infrared? Might be easier to use than implementing custom code to Homey.
    What do you want to do with it?

I really cannot wait to get my hands on Homey. I am skilled in Javascript so am wondering if I can create apps, although it might be hard.

• I want to use it so I can watch tv using homey. "Hey homey, I want to watch TV". "Hey Homey switch to HBO". Stuff like that.

I cannot wait either ;-)

• The Horizon box can be controlled by infrared, although somewhat limited. I have been able to program my Logitech Harmony for some basic functions, but e.g. the Guide cannot be accessed directly (but is now done via a macro). I think all functions should be possible via IR, but it seems the IR-codes themself are not publicly available.

I do not know if Homey has a complete set of these codes available (I do not know how this is handled by Homey now), but in my case I assume I can also learn Homey the codes I have now via the Harmony (which is also programmed :-)).

For that matter, can someone at Homey let us know if it would be possible to add a RF-remote for a such a device or is that another piece of hardware (RF-transmitter) which is not present in Homey? And how are the IR-devices (TV's, AV-receiver, etc) added, is that via a database similar as Logitech?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Infrared device can be added by learning them by pressing a button on the remote. While doing this, your Homey will search for a known remote in the background, and match, if found.

If you don't have the original remote, you can select a device from this database as well.

• Ok, thanks Emile for the clarification. And RF-remotes, are they somehow supported?

• Ah, I didnt know Horizon has an IR interface. That is good news. But I'm also curious about RF remotes. Since then I dont need the device in plain sight.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Just regular RF (usually somewhere around 2.4GHz) is not supported through Homey.

• The good news is horizon in deed van be controlled through ir. Just a limited set of commands, but main functions all work

• I am looking into controlling my TV via UPnP. I already found a library plug.play.js which can be used to implement UPnP devices. I would not be surprised if the Horizon Mediabox also support UPnP.

I still have to figure out how to build an app for the Homey a.k.a. learn JavaScript...

• jordenjorden Member
    edited October 2015

If you need to move your IR supported equipment out of sight, you can use a product from Marmitek like: http://www.marmitek.com/nl/product-details/bedienen/bedienen-van-av-apparaten-uit-het-zicht/invisible-control-6-xtra.php
    Works great, you have a small IR receiver which you can put on the bottom of your tv for example. I have made a blog about this in Dutch; http://www.domotica.center/tv-apparatuur-uit-zicht-brengen/

• I'm really curious if the Horizon box will work with homey, without ir. So via WiFi or rf (don't know what frequency the original control uses).
  • I'm really curious if the Horizon box will work with homey, without ir. So via WiFi or rf (don't know what frequency the original control uses).

As Emile stated just above regular RF (= Horizon) will not work with Homey. So you are solely dependant on IR for controlling the Horizon box.
  • But Horizo can also be controlled via LAN. The Ziggo app has an option to act as a remote when it's connected with the local WiFi network: https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/horizon/go/app/
  • But Horizo can also be controlled via LAN. The Ziggo app has an option to act as a remote when it's connected with the local WiFi network: https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/horizon/go/app/
    @keverjeroen I'm as eager as you to control Horizon via Homey. Although I don't think Ziggo will appreciate Athom using codes from their app. As Horizon is pretty nailed shut, meaning you can't acces any stuff they don't want you to, I don't see Homey controlling Horizon via LAN via their app... BUT..

1. @Athom could already start by asking Ziggo if they can be licensed to use their code.

or

2. There are some of us asking for an app which let's us duplicate RF 433mhz signals, so we can tell Homey what RF signal does what and let Homey just duplicate that signal.

or

3. Get your old IR remote, replaced several years ago by the current one, and try to pair it with Homey.

or

4. I have my old remote. Perhaps it could even be used to create an app as every UPC/Ziggo IR-remote emmits the exact same signal? Something like (Pre)Coding the IR-signals of the remote?(@Emile, @Reinier ,@Athom) ?

Unfortunetly I lack the skills for such programming.

• Maybe projects like this will help...

https://github.com/rogro82/HorizonRemote
  • jordenjorden Member
    edited April 2016
    That OpenHab thing looks useful, although I'm not familiar with OpenHab and it might be hard to get the code out of that massive package.

I'm not currently at home, but can someone turn on their Horizon, find it's IP-address in the network and then try to open this?
    http://<IP>:62137/DeviceDescription.xml

Just wondering if that still works...
  • Found this *.jar which should be having the same functionality as the OpenHab implementation (it is from the same person who made the OpenHab implementation).
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12642167/org.openhab.binding.horizon-1.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

• My company installs high end domotica systems and we are always struggeling with IR, RF or whatever wireless signals we need to implement equipment other then the domotica components we use in our CAN bus systems. The Horizon box at first was controlled only via IR and later (partialy) via RF.

We noticed that the most "old" IR codes still work on the new Horizon box. So if you own an old remote or someone is willing to send you his remote you probably will be lucky.
  • MarcoWijkMarcoWijk Member
    edited April 2016
    jorden said:
    That OpenHab thing looks useful, although I'm not familiar with OpenHab and it might be hard to get the code out of that massive package.

I'm not currently at home, but can someone turn on their Horizon, find it's IP-address in the network and then try to open this?

Nope... i got this in chrome: "my Horizon ip - heeft de verbinding geweigerd."

..... Horizon box at first was controlled only via IR and later (partialy) via RF.

We noticed that the most "old" IR codes still work on the new Horizon box. So if you own an old remote or someone is willing to send you his remote you probably will be lucky.
    I have my 'old' one, and it works...but with the IR range and width of the beam, it's pretty hard to change channels or preset them in Homey, On and Off is a bit easier.
  • Should it be an HTTP request? Isn't it something like a socket connection (tellnet or else) 
  • MarcoWijk said:
    jorden said:

Nope... i got this in chrome: "my Horizon ip - heeft de verbinding geweigerd."
    Same here. I have tried some thing but did not succeed at any of my tries to control Horizon, sadly.
  • msmitsmsmits Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi Guys!

I didn't orderd my Homey yet, but i will this month.
    I wanted to control my Horizon Box also, so i've been thinking about another solution and i have found one.
    Maybe it's not the most great solution, but it will work.

Technical plan:

I'm already busy with the scripting part, it's for 50% finished right now.

-Running a simple webserver (USB Webserver)
    -Create a php file that will remote execute a file on the server (a laptop)
    -For example: 192.168.1.1/Horizonbox.php?Channel=538

From this part i have 2 options:
    -Running an Android Emulator and make a AutoIt script that will click trough the official Horizon App. The only problem with this solution is that the emulator uses NAT, so the application don't recognize the Horizon Box.
    -Connect an old phone and run the commands via adb.exe

At the moment i've connected an old Android phone to my computer, when you visit the url 192.168.1.1/Horizonbox.php?Channel=538 the script checks if the Horizon box is online or not. When it's offline it will turn the box ON. After that, the script will switch to the chanel that is given in the url variable.

I must say, it works great and super fast! It works faster than using my official remote haha. :smile: 

When it's "finished" i will share it with you guys. When i leave my house, i always turn on Radio 538 for the dogs to listen to so that will work for sure haha! :smile: 
  • You can use the http-server in Homey but it doesn't work with php I guess... Or use a webserver on the phone itself?
  • @smits that is really awesome what you are trying to accomplish here. What do you use the Android phone for, is it running an app that sends out infrared or bluetooth commands or something? In that case, it should be possible to let Homey do that as well once the infrared-update/bluetooth-update has arrived.
  • Yes, it's is a temporary solution until there is something better, but in the meantime this will work. I have already a laptop that is 24/7 on, so in my case it's no problem.

I will try to explain it more easy:

Why am i using the Android Phone?
    • Because i need to control the Horizon Box via the official app, since there is no other way except IR and i don't want to place my Horizon Box in a place that is visible.
    • I can use the Android Debug Bridge to control the Android OS. Optionally i can do this with Android Monkeyrunner in the future.
    Why do i need a webserver?

• ADB commands are being send from a computer/device. 
    • Remote execute the script via PHP that sends the ADB commands.
    What can you do with ADB?

Basically everything you want. So i open the application, navigate to the Remote Controll Function and from there i can switch channels with variables. Or turn it off and on.

So when it's done you can say for example:

• Okay Homey, turn on my Horizon Box.
    • It will send a GET to xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php?Horizon=ON&Channel=538. 
    • This will trigger the ADB script that knows it needs to be turned on first, and then switch the channel to 538.

One issue:

The only issue i'm facing right now is to check if the Horizon box is already on. That function would be nice, otherwise the Homey will turn it off when it's already on.

There is no possibility to send a PING to the device, since that is blocked, i've found a github page with the information that you can check it when this file is available:

But this doesn't work anymore, since this port isn't being used anymore. The Horizon Box has 2 ports open currently:

-1234 Hotline
    -5900 VNC

So i thought, i will check it by the ARP table or via the router/switch interface of the Horizon box, but the IP remains "online" even when the box is in standby mode. So that's not an option.

If you guys have any idea please let me know! :smile: 

• i control it at this moment via harmony hub works fine 
  • Webster said:
    i control it at this moment via harmony hub works fine 
    Yes i know, but that's via IR... I have closed doors in my TV Cabinet... i don't want to spend 100 euro only to control my Horizon Box.  

ps i know i can use IR blasters :blush:  haha. 
  • There is more you can control with the harmony hub 

even philips hue lights 

IR blasters are standard with the hub ,main reason for me only 1 remote to control tv soundbar lights and horizon 
  • Philips Hue? Does that work with IR? Or just web-API to the HUE-controller?
This discussion has been closed.