This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Electric ball water valve

Hello All,
 i have bought myself a watervalve witch i want to use within homey. At the front of the house i want to make a water tap. I want to be able te cut off the water when i am not at home. For this i have bought the following water ball valve 

before i can use this valve i need a proper switch. Now i have bought a sonoff basic smart switch but i don't think this will do the job.
i need a wisselschakelaar (is this called a changeover switch in english?).
This is the drawing that comes with the valve

So my question is witch switch can i use so that homey can open and close this valve.

Frans

Comments

• Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    fke1964 said:
    Hello All,
     i have bought myself a watervalve witch i want to use within homey. At the front of the house i want to make a water tap. I want to be able te cut off the water when i am not at home. For this i have bought the following water ball valve 

before i can use this valve i need a proper switch. Now i have bought a sonoff basic smart switch but i don't think this will do the job.

So my question is witch switch can i use so that homey can open and close this valve.

Frans
    First you have to look how much amp it uses, i dont think it is huge but better be save. Because otherwise you have to use a separate relais. 

But you can look at the popp strike lock, this is nothing more the a zwave relais wich is supported by homey.
  • The power consumptie is 6 watt so that should not be a problem 
  • Oy1974 said:
    fke1964 said:
    Hello All,

Frans
    First you have to look how much amp it uses, i dont think it is huge but better be save. Because otherwise you have to use a separate relais. 

But you can look at the popp strike lock, this is nothing more the a zwave relais wich is supported by homey.
    I have found it on the internet for 60 euro's. I forgot to say that i need it to be a little bit cheaper. That why i bought the so off switch. I there no cheaper solution? 
  • gijsje said:
    This is realy cheap but is this supported by homy than  
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    With the wifi version you need to a little setup sometimes but then you can just use http commands
    The 433 version i do not know as i do not have but i guess it should work somehow
  • Oké thanks i Will order some to try it.

Thanks 
  • gijsje said:
    With the wifi version you need to a little setup sometimes but then you can just use http commands
    The 433 version i do not know as i do not have but i guess it should work somehow
    Is de wifi variant wel geschikt voor 220volt?
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    edited July 2018
    They are cheap enough to give it a try
    Here is some info to setup the wifi one
    https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3245&start=130

I today finaly did get it working with a 2 relay board.
    I needed one of these to programm the ESP01
    https://www.hobbyelectronica.nl/product/usb-esp8266-esp-01-ch340g-2/
    But you can also get them from ali
  • gijsje said:
    They are cheap enough to give it a try
    Here is some info to setup the wifi one
    https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3245&start=130

I today finaly did get it working with a 2 relay board.
    I needed one of these to programm the ESP01
    https://www.hobbyelectronica.nl/product/usb-esp8266-esp-01-ch340g-2/
    But you can also get them from ali
    Can i use this relais for 220 v as the valve requires this  
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    they are rated at 250VAC 10A so thats finw
  • Why not buy a second sonoff switch??? 

Connect the neutrals togather and the L connection of Sonoff 1 connects to blue and the L of sonoff 2 connects to brown.

Turn on 1 to close the valve.
    turn on the other to open the valve.
    Function is the same as the switch in the schematic, only you use 2 switches in stead of a change over.

Be aware that you turn off 1 efore turning on 2 and the other way around. 
  • Why not buy a second sonoff switch??? 

Connect the neutrals togather and the L connection of Sonoff 1 connects to blue and the L of sonoff 2 connects to brown.

Turn on 1 to close the valve.
    turn on the other to open the valve.
    Function is the same as the switch in the schematic, only you use 2 switches in stead of a change over.

Be aware that you turn off 1 efore turning on 2 and the other way around. 
    Well i have 2 of them. Only They are not accactly the same 
    1 is wifi and 1 is wifi and rf
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    I would never use 2 switches as this is a big risk what if the signal to turn the first one of it not received and it is still live if the other one turn on you would burn the motor inside the valve
  • Gijsje is correct. If the turn oof command is not received you can turn on both coils, which might cause the valve to overheat.
    To make it work safe you can(should) buy a sonoff dual. This has a sync mode acording to the github feature request, where only 1 is allowed high:

https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna/issues/491

of course also put a fuse in line with the neutral, so if both are activated you atleast 

the forum below uses 2 extra relais to get a hardware sync
  • gijsjegijsje Member
    I was also thinking of getting one for when the water leak sensor find a leak to close the valve.
    But then you would only need the close circuit to be powered when there is a leak detected.
    This way the valve would not be powered all the time and makes it also a bit saver
  • Gijsje is correct. If the turn oof command is not received you can turn on both coils, which might cause the valve to overheat.
    To make it work safe you can(should) buy a sonoff dual. This has a sync mode acording to the github feature request, where only 1 is allowed high:

https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna/issues/491

of course also put a fuse in line with the neutral, so if both are activated you atleast 

the forum below uses 2 extra relais to get a hardware sync
    I have read the post regarding this sync mode. It says at the end that it is stil possibile to have both on for a millisecondi! Is this save enough? 

Except for the wait, the firmware already does that if you set the synchronization mode to "Zero or one switches active". In this sync mode, the firmware will check it never has more than one relay ON. One thing thou: right now it will action the relays in order, so there is a change to have both on for a few millis.

• k1sk1s Member
    I did something similar for a garden tap with ta fibaro z-wave dual relay.  The ball valve I started with had an integrated controller which meant opening closing needed 2 signals to effectively switch.  With Fibaro module you can specify the amount of time it sends each signal, so maybe that would work for you too.
  • k1s said:
    I did something similar for a garden tap with ta fibaro z-wave dual relay.  The ball valve I started with had an integrated controller which meant opening closing needed 2 signals to effectively switch.  With Fibaro module you can specify the amount of time it sends each signal, so maybe that would work for you too.
    i find 2 fibaro switches on the internet namely the FGS-222 as discriped in your post and the new FGS 223 double switch 2. The FGS 223 is less expensive but do they both have the functionality to use on this ball valve?
  • yemoHyemoH Member
    Not exactly in topic, but can you adjust the time in which the actuator will close the ball valve? You want to prevent water hammer by slowly closing the valve.
  • yemoH said:
    Not exactly in topic, but can you adjust the time in which the actuator will close the ball valve? You want to prevent water hammer by slowly closing the valve.
    No you can, t adjust that. I Just want to shit off the valve in case onze joker comes along and opeens the valve 
  • k1sk1s Member
    fke1964 said:
    k1s said:
    i find 2 fibaro switches on the internet namely the FGS-222 as discriped in your post and the new FGS 223 double switch 2. The FGS 223 is less expensive but do they both have the functionality to use on this ball valve?
    I'm not 100% sure. My valve needed a common connection as well as a positive/live for both the open and the closed connections to be switched at the same time (ie the circuit board needs to be told to turn on the 'open circuit' and turn off the 'closed circuit', each having a pair of contacts), which is why I went for that relay.
  • I have reveived my fibaro FGS 223 yesterday and connected it this morning. Problem is that when i set the switch to off the ball valve closes. After a few seconds it opens again and stays open. What am i doining wrong? i have tried 3 difent options that ar mentioned in the FGS 223 setting (switch options). Non of them works. 
  • k1sk1s Member
    fke1964 said:
    I have reveived my fibaro FGS 223 yesterday and connected it this morning. Problem is that when i set the switch to off the ball valve closes. After a few seconds it opens again and stays open. What am i doining wrong? i have tried 3 difent options that ar mentioned in the FGS 223 setting (switch options). Non of them works. 

How is it wired exactly?
  • k1s said:
    fke1964 said:
    I have reveived my fibaro FGS 223 yesterday and connected it this morning. Problem is that when i set the switch to off the ball valve closes. After a few seconds it opens again and stays open. What am i doining wrong? i have tried 3 difent options that ar mentioned in the FGS 223 setting (switch options). Non of them works. 

How is it wired exactly?
    i find the following text 

Operating the Switch 2 using a toggle switch and parameter 20 set to 2:

• Change switch position once:
      Change the state of the connected load to the opposite one (S1 switches 1st channel, S2 switches 2nd channel),
      Change the state of 2nd, 3rd (S1 switch), 4th and 5th (S2 switch) association group to the opposite one.
    • Change switch position twice:
      Set maximum level of devices associated in 2nd, 3rd (S1 switch), 4th and 5th (S2 switch) group.
    i can't find out what is parameter 20.
    i look for a wiring diagram
  • this is the drawing of the valve 
  • k1sk1s Member
    fke1964 said:
    k1s said:
    fke1964 said:

How is it wired exactly?
    i find the following text 

Operating the Switch 2 using a toggle switch and parameter 20 set to 2:

• Change switch position once:
      Change the state of the connected load to the opposite one (S1 switches 1st channel, S2 switches 2nd channel),
      Change the state of 2nd, 3rd (S1 switch), 4th and 5th (S2 switch) association group to the opposite one.
    • Change switch position twice:
      Set maximum level of devices associated in 2nd, 3rd (S1 switch), 4th and 5th (S2 switch) group.
    i can't find out what is parameter 20.
    i look for a wiring diagram
    I'm not a fibaro expert but I think that bit in the manual is referring to 2 things. First one lets you swap the way the switch works in case you wired L1 and L2 backwards or installed a rocker switch upside down. Secondb effectively allows a double click action to set the maximum (eg a dimmer on full brightness). Neither should matter here I think.
  • fke1964 said:
    this is the drawing of the valve 
    this is the drawing of the switch, i did't atach a external switch so S1 and S2 are empty

• k1sk1s Member
    fke1964 said:
    fke1964 said:
    this is the drawing of the switch, i did't atach a external switch so S1 and S2 are empty

...and what have you connected to what ?
  • k1s said:
    fke1964 said:
    fke1964 said:

...and what have you connected to what ?
    Q1 and Q2 are connected to the ball valve. Q1 to close and Q2 to open. L wire to L and N to N. Thrird wire of the ball valve goes to the N. It worked fine this way using a normal toggle valve (wisselschakelaar).