This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

KLICKR - Extend IR Range of Homey

Just saw this on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klikr/klikr-make-everything-klikable

I think this is a great solution if the IR range of homey is not sufficient. Would be cool if they would work together :).

Comments

• Emile told us in his presentation yesterday that the range can get up to 9 meters.

• JonJon Member
    edited November 2015

Thanks @G4nd41f for sharing. I have backed this project too. It's quite useful when there is no direct line of sight possible between Homey and the IR device (despite Homey's reputedly large IR range).
    I guess this will only become compatible with Homey when an homey app has been developed (so an open API will be needed on Klikr's side), am I right @Emile?

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited November 2015

Why not use a Remotec ZXT-120?
    Don't know if the device is/will be supported @Emile ?

Manual here

• I have my AV-receiver, satelite-receiver and kodi-on-pi inside a cabinet. So Homey's IR won't work unless I use an IR-extender, extending IR signals inside the cabinet. Btw, today I use such a IT-extender and it works far from perfect. KLICKR support might be an acceptable solution.

• Or put Homey in the same cabinet. RF signals will exit the cabinet anyway, assuming it is not a steel cabinet. And train Homey with the doors closed to recognize your voice:). (Not sure if that will work, but it might be an option.)

• Sure, but then I miss all the visual feedback of homey. Cannot use NFC tags. Possibly the quality of Homey's voice recognition will be degraded. And more important, my TV is not in the cabinet (just the ugly stuff I don't need to see: audio-, satelite receiver and kodi). So Homey would not be able to control the TV. Probably I'll have to use my IR-cabinet extender, but this does not work very reliable.

• I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought a Harmony Hub because the IR extender was too unreliable. I actually sold the IR extender. The Harmony Hub uses RF and works great. But the Homey does not support RF. Although the Harmony Hub also uses WiFi, and my hopes are that someone will develop a community app that will also support WiFi next to IR for the Harmony Hub, I'm back to using IR in the mean time. Gonna see of KLICKR can help me out as well.

• JonJon Member
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klikr/klikr-make-everything-klikable/posts/1556953?ref=backer_project_update
    Klikrs will soon be shipped.
    Is there any developer who is planning to develop an app for it?
  • MG11MG11 Member
    Great stuff!
    It means KLIKR is transforming bluetooth to IR signals? So Homey could communicate directly with KLIKR "buttons" over bluetooth and control the IR-devices out of the Homey's range?

• JonJon Member
    edited April 2016
    It's exactly that, @MG11 !
    But we need to have Homey support Bluetooth first and then also an app developed for compatibility with Klikr.
  • MG11MG11 Member
    Good morning, guys! 
    I have some great experience to share with you. 

If you are interested in using Homey to control a lot of IR devices - this is the best solution for me so far:
    EBODE PM10C Wireless Infrared Extender: http://www.ebodeelectronics.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=304]&Itemid=3&lang=en 

I tested this IR extender today and I'm pretty excited. I think this solution is more comfortable to use with Homey und cheaper than KLIKR. 

I'm gonna describe the results in a separate thread.
  • JonJon Member
    edited April 2016
    MG11 said:
    Good morning, guys! 
    I have some great experience to share with you. 

If you are interested in using Homey to control a lot of IR devices - this is the best solution for me so far:
    EBODE PM10C Wireless Infrared Extender: http://www.ebodeelectronics.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=304]&Itemid=3&lang=en ;

I tested this IR extender today and I'm pretty excited. I think this solution is more comfortable to use with Homey und cheaper than KLIKR. 

I'm gonna describe the results in a separate thread.
    hi @MG11 ;I have tested this (and other Ebode and Marmitek) IR-extenders and found them all pretty unreliable (and ugly by the way). So my hope is really on Klikr, also because it uses Bluetooth so no line of sight needed anymore between Homey and the extender.
  • MG11MG11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Jon. The transmission of Homey through Ebode are very stable so far. The "line of sight" of receiver-pyramids is almost 360 degrees (because of the antenna). So there is no need to position devices face to face. This way you can "hide" those pyramids a bit in the room. You can even hide them inside of the tv-rack - if your TV-devices are there. 

KLIKR is great - no doubts. But you really need lot of them: one KLIKR "button" for every single IR device - that's pretty costly! In my opinion this is the biggest disadvantage. 
  • JonJon Member
    So today I received my Klikr, yeah!
    G4nd41f?) that got one too, and is able (and willing) to develop Homey support for Klikr?

• G4nd41f said:

Just saw this on kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klikr/klikr-make-everything-klikable

I think this is a great solution if the IR range of homey is not sufficient. Would be cool if they would work together :).

Look tot gear4 IR exist since 2010 but died silently :-( have one here useless (no app to find anymore)
  • JonJon Member
    edited May 2016
  • look to http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/gear4-unityremote/  only its dead and the app is away from the app store this is why i prefer a device with a web interface so you still can use it after the company died or stops support

• JonJon Member
    Yeah but who needs an app or even Web interface if there is direct connection between Homey and the device (Klikr)? 
  • MennoMenno Member
    @MG11 I bought the EBODE PM10C Wireless Infrared Extender.
    And I must say for me it is working perfectly thanks for your advise

Route = homey (livingroom) --> logitech (cabinet) --> logitech blaster (cabinet) --> ebode sender (cabinet) --> ebode receiver (livingroom) --> curtain (livingroom)
  • MG11MG11 Member
    @Menno Glad to hear that. I have also bought 2 more receivers for only 16 EUR and now my Homey can trigger all IR devices across my house (almost 30m distance!):
    1. bedroom (air purifier, alarm clock/radio)
    2. livingroom (air conditioning, stereo, cable-reciever, beamer, soundbar)
    3. kitchen (radio, iRobot Rumba)

For now this is the simpliest and cheapest working smart-home setting for me - without the need to buy additional wifi/bluetooth/z-wave devices or some other hubs. Of course there are some limitations - like missing feedback (did homey turned the IR device on: yes or no?) But until now it works like a charm: turning on/off my devices and switching programms/options.     
  • Anybody else still have a KlikR in the drawer catching dust?
  • Yes, 3 useless pcs here
  • Answer today 
    Sorry to hear that. At this stage, we do not have plan for API this year.
    We will keep you informed once it comes.
    Kind regards
    KLIKR team

So it is useless

• TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm planning to extend the Remotec app with support for the ZXT-120 as well as the to be announced ZXT-600 (PLUS version). Which might be an alternative.

I do need to finalize work on some other devices before I will be able to start on these.
  • And the story goes on.

We are still considering to add an SDK. 
    So far, our efforts have been allocated to increase the database for air conditioners. As there are thousands of AC models with specific codes, that is a big work that we have prioritized for our users. It involves decoding each remote and it is very much time-consuming.
    We will keep you informed once we move to making the SDK.
    Kind regards
    François

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Marcel Wolf wrote:
    Hello,
    That is a little strange.
    When the kickstarter project was rolling out there where made several promises about SDK, API or IFTTT

In the messages there is no year but i think where talking about 2015. 1,5 year further and there are still no plans!

I think a lot of people are very dissapointed. And somehow it feels i’ve been fooled. If i knew this i never bought the devices but would go for a z-wave 2 infrared solution.