This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

(bit urgent) Which thermostaats are supported?

Comments

• I didn't see that. I have the airco controller from tado and works fine.

• @Stefan, @Emile, any news or updates about Honeywell, especially Evohome? I just installed a complete Evohome system and OMG what a perfect solution for multizone! Very happy with, especially its getting cold outside.
    It would be awesome if Honeywell Evohome would be supported:
    "Hey Homey, turn the bathroom on at 21 degrees"
    "Hey Homey, set the living room at 20,5 degrees at 20:00"

• StefanStefan Member
    edited October 2015

@BasPost, We are in touch with the right division of Honeywell (finally!) and are on the beta list for their APIs. They expect the Lyric API pretty soon, and the EVO one to follow somewhere this winter (could be until end of Q1 2016), so know that they will be supported sometime, but in this we depend on Honeywell (and if we look at, for example, Toon, who announced their still-not-launched API a full year ago, we cannot give a definitive timeline, but we will continue to follow up on it).

• Stefan said:
    @BasPost, We are in touch with the right division of Honeywell (finally!) and are on the beta list for their APIs. They expect the Lyric API pretty soon, and the EVO one to follow somewhere this winter (could be until end of Q1 2016), so know that they will be supported sometime, but in this we depend on Honeywell (and if we look at, for example, Toon, who announced their still-not-launched API a full year ago, we cannot give a definitive timeline, but we will continue to follow up on it).

Thank you very much for the update! Much appreciated. Glad to know it's on the list!

• @Stefan, great to hear that you are on the list. Can't wait for evohome support. I am using Evehome for over a year now and it works great.

• AlanMccormick said:
    Has anyone seen this?

https://github.com/watchforstock/evohome-client

Yes, Domoticz is using this client, see:
    https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Evohome
    I'm planning to try to install this week, after I finished my complete Evohome system, I only need to install the valve for my floorheating system

• rob_houwelingrob_houweling Member
    edited October 2015

Any update on the Nefit Easy?

Stefan said:

• Hi,
    I contacted nefit with this question:

Beste Nefit, Kunt een een update geven over de ontwikkelingen van de nefit easy? Is dit procuct "klaar"of komen er nog vernieuwende ontwikkelingen aan? Komt er ondersteuning voor IFTTT en zal het voor deren mogelijk worden om te koppelen? Ik denk hierbij vooral aan het nederlandse kickstarter product Homey. Bedankt! Rutger

They answered this:

Momenteel is de afdeling ontwikkeling druk bezig met de Browser Applicatie, waarmee de Nefit Easy ook via PC’s aangestuurd kan worden. Voor IFTTT verwachten wij in de loop van 2016 ondersteuning te bieden. Helaas zal er geen ondersteuning komen voor Homey.

So no direct connection, only through IFTTT.

• @stefan Do you guys happen to have contact with the German company EbV about their Heatapp! product? Or with the American Watts Industies about their Watts Smart Home System?

• rob_houwelingrob_houweling Member
    edited October 2015

Als er een browser app komt en ifttt support, dan denk ik dat ik daar wel een homey app voor kan bouwen. Desnoods voer ik zelf calls naar de website af. Gaat wel goedkomen, gaan die jaren ervaring als webontwikkelaar ook nog eens voor wat anders gebruikt worden ;P

• Dat zou super zijn!

• Please comment in Englisch :-)

For me it's the same. I'm working on my own website to control Homey.

• jimmy_zeropmjimmy_zeropm Member
    edited October 2015

I'm using a Chronotherm Wireless (because the tempsensor end was above my woodstove). It has two modules, one program/status module and a wireless receiver above the stove. In this way I can measure outside of the stove radiation. Is this supported by Homey? Iow, can I intervent between the two? My heater is opentherm based.

• What sounds as an good solution to control your house with zones is Heating Control from Benext than you can keep your modulating termostat and only need to buy the eurotronic Z-wave radiator valves for all the rooms. I hope both of the producs are suported by Homey.

• edited November 2015

Is Homey able to control the latest version of the Nest thermostat (version 3)

• I sure hope so....
    Mine is arriving on the 4th of december.

• I read Nest can support OpenTherm now...

• JonJon Member
    edited January 2016
  • Nefit has announced the easy to work with IFTTT. Spoke to the manager today and he said they have priorities. Homey is on the list and the door is not closed but is not on top of the list. Of what I understood Homey is on the list but somewhere close near the bottom.
  • Nefit has announced the easy to work with IFTTT. Spoke to the manager today and he said they have priorities. Homey is on the list and the door is not closed but is not on top of the list. Of what I understood Homey is on the list but somewhere close near the bottom.
    Not to break your hapiness but this sounds like a sales men that after the talk went online to google it. Nefit is a dutch company that is not willing to implement other protocolls / supports as the thermostat is maken more money then a new cv system (profit wyse).

Perhaps a wrong way of going but why schould i need a thermostat? i will have the homey so if i have sensors with motion and temperatures i only needs a relaiy remotely so i can turn on and off the kettle if value x is not between y and z
    and in the homey app or website on small touchscreen i controll and read the temperature where is my thinking wrong?

All digital thermostats gets the outside temperature from the internet, list stuff thats within the ketle so let them make intellegance like z-wave there.

Strange to controll the house heating in one room instead of per room while all these nice tools are there yet.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited February 2016
    tunf said:

Perhaps a wrong way of going but why schould i need a thermostat? i will have the homey so if i have sensors with motion and temperatures i only needs a relaiy remotely so i can turn on and off the kettle if value x is not between y and z
    and in the homey app or website on small touchscreen i controll and read the temperature where is my thinking wrong?
    Well, you will need one central system that has (or can poll) information on all the different sensors at the same time, and can make the decisions. You don't want the individuals sensors to determine the state of the kettle for themselves.  So you probably will need some kind of system between Homey and all the sensors/valves. Otherwise, you could quickly get the situation where one sensor says it needs heating, then turns the kettle on. 10 seconds later, another sensor turns it off. 5 seconds later, another one turns it back on... etc.
    A central thermostat with multizone support could do that... but yeah, there are other options as well. Maybe a Homey app could do it as well... not sure.
  • Bumblez said:
    Well, you will need one central system that has (or can poll) information on all the different sensors at the same time, and can make the decisions. You don't want the individuals sensors to determine the state of the kettle for themselves.  So you probably will need some kind of system between Homey and all the sensors/valves. Otherwise, you could quickly get the situation where one sensor says it needs heating, then turns the kettle on. 10 seconds later, another sensor turns it off. 5 seconds later, another one turns it back on... etc.
    A central thermostat with multizone support could do that... but yeah, there are other options as well. Maybe a Homey app could do it as well... not sure.
    Agree, thats why i can imagine an app that can do the heating based upon sensor of type x or more and list them and then like new thermostats use a range in between temperatures. Due to a central system it can also read heating temperature so it knows what's coming and if you can draw the flow you even can monitor the time needed to heat and them there is a "smart" thermostat.

The data for currently used thermostats is also collected to predict what is needed based upon the house, outside temperature and the heating system.

With homey as central unit there is more intelligence possible;
    If the system knows it is going to be 23 degree outside in the afternoon but it is 10 in the morning, based upon currenttemperature the demand can be lower then the 19/20 degree needed or the sunscreen can be opened to heat the house.

Perhaps all is to soon but there is a big change on central heatings going on in the Netherlands. It is not only one central CV system, there ar more and more combined systems like airco, ground pumps, solar heating etc.

Based upon the contracts with Gas/ electric and heating needed with products xyz there can be a calculation what is the best or cheapest way to heat or cool down the room/ house. This decision can be like tomtom, the fast way or shortest way, so using the greenest way possible but within 60 minutes 1 degree + or - or cheapest way and then it doens't matter if that is not green.

All brands available now are still on there own product and not compatible using other systems or combining systems, there is where in my opinion Homey comes in

@emile is heating and cooling a priority/ direction you can see homey go in to?
  • @tunf You need a thermostat instead of a relay switch because it can do modulation. This will save you quite a lot of gas...
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    The savings on OpenTherm vs Relay are very small, because in most houses the centralheating systems are way from optimized. This results in the fact that an gasheater isn't abele to run on its optimal burning point and doesn't reach the 107%.

The only noticeable big thing can be bigger(relay) or smaller(OT) temperature fluctuations in the rooms.

The biggest, fastest, cheapest saving can be realized when limiting the max. CH temperature. Most gasheaters are set on >65°c to the centralHeatingSystem, where in most cases 50-55°c also works very wel. (65°c compared to 50°c gives 10-20% saving on gas).

edit;
    http://www.tridatacom.co.uk/Downloads/Papers/Papers/OpenTherm Mar08.pdf

See page 3;
    Test case with opentherm and on/off.
    Energy usage Opentherm: gas 6.26m3, electic 1.20kWh
    Energy usage On/off: gas 6.76m3,  electic 0.48kWh
    0.5m3 saving is around 8%

total kWh;
    Opentherm; 6.26m3 * 8.5kWh/m3 =53.21kWh + 1.20kWh=54.41kWh
    On/off; 6.76m3 * 8.5kWh/m3 =57.46kWh + 0.48kWh=57.94kWh
    3.53kWh saving in kWh is around 7%

costs in The Netherlands:
    OpenTherm: (6.26m3 * €0.65) + (1.2kWh*€0.22) = €4.33
    On/off: (6.76m3 * €0.65) + (0.48kWh*€0.22) = €4.49
    €0.16 savings is around 3.56%

costs in The Netherlands:
    OpenTherm: (6.26m3 * 1.884kg/Co2/m3) + (1.2kWh* 0,355kg/Co2/m3) = 12.21kg CO2 emissions
    On/off: (6.76m3 * 1.884kg/Co2/m3) + (0.48kWh* 0,355kg/Co2/m3) = 12.90kg CO2 emissions
    0.690kg CO2 savings < 6%

So money wish its a saving of around 4%.
    So if you burn 1000m3, costs €650, CO2 emission 2200kg, its saves 80m3 gas, €25 and 120kg CO2.

Its a (very) small saving on a very big number.... :smile: 

And also very important; OpenTherm let the boiler burn longer, result; much higher electrical bill on the boiler (2,5 times higher)
    The paper is only over 12 hours, so 24 hours results in;
    Opentherm: (1.20kWh/12)*24 = 2.40kWh
    On/Off: (0.48kWh/12)*24 = 0.96kWh
    More running hours results in more maintenance and more mechanical deterioration and a shorter lifespan of the device.

Insulation is way better/cheaper solution then technical stuff/solution's.(trias energetica)

But;
    wie het kleine niet eert, is het grote niet weerd

• MarcoF said:
    The savings on OpenTherm vs Relay are very small, because in most houses the centralheating systems are way from optimized. This results in the fact that an gasheater isn't abele to run on its optimal burning point and doesn't reach the 107%.

The only noticeable big thing can be bigger(relay) or smaller(OT) temperature fluctuations in the rooms.

The biggest, fastest, cheapest saving can be realized when limiting the max. CH temperature. Most gasheaters are set on >65°c to the centralHeatingSystem, where in most cases 50-55°c also works very wel. (65°c compared to 50°c gives 10-20% saving on gas).
    I use low heating temps of 40/45 using aluminum radiators and floor heating. I also set a fixed temperature in the whole house (ok, in the living room now due to only 1 thermostat). This temperature is not set different at night to keep the heat in the floor. This saved me about 20% of Gas.
    What i then really am looking for is a remote thermostat modulating module that can connect to the kettle directly but gets it commands by homey. Then homey can replace all thermostats based to the fact that;

a. it can read temperatures from sensors
    b. we can use radiator valves (z-wave) like the honeywell to open and close radiators
    c. it can send a signal to on or off (modulate?) the heating system
    d. in the future it can be used to cool my house if needed using another system like heat exchange modules.

Now there are a lot of expensive thermostats that can do small things but are still one room systems and if we want more rooms it is almost 800 + euro, using homey, thermostats per radiator on z-wave and a module that perhaps is not there yet (modulating z-wave)

i bought the homey also for other controlls so lets devided 100 euro for the heating part, 150 euro for the thermostats (5) bought on marktplaats today, 1 central module/ relay switch and we are done under 300 euros in all rooms and can cool down and send a command to close the radiator on the bathroom so there is no condens there. This is not supported on other systems below 800 Euro and also require physical valves.

Is there a plummer on the forum?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    @tunf ;
    Sound like a efficient, "low" temperature setup and that can indeed make a very big saving possible!

Please buy a Honeywell Evohome system. Its works great, has a app (also works great, my Mom gets it), user friendly, but a bit expensive.

valves, temperature sensors, connecting it all together and make it WAF friendly is a big thing.
    Zwave valves(danfoss >€60 each), Honeywell valves (€100 each, to zwave them you need a additional €50 makes €150), both solutions doesn't report room temperature. This can easely go to >€100 per room and then you need to connect it all and make it WAF proof.

Heating is a big and important thingie (i experienced), 1 morning of a could bathroom and it results in 1 month of defending system tweaks/changes....

Opentherm Zwave thermostats exists.
  • Isn't it possible to let thermocoin measure the temperature in each room?
  • Temperature measurement is not the problem as the windows will have an fibaro window/ door sensor. On that sensor i can attach a temperature sensor (external if needed) I think the valves can give there temp also by z-wave.
This discussion has been closed.