This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Version 0.8.27

Comments

• OK, sounds logic!
    But if BL is broken because of the update, then its shocking to see that the firmware breaks app(s?) and running Homeys goes down....

If I read/see the forum, then BL is a wide used app (cause; it fills a need which Homey is missing) so to me this sounds like Athom is not testing with real life scenarios.

And this way of releasing/updating firmware will break trust and the willing of the community to test and/or put time in this.
  • On a different note - has anyone seen Sunrise work properly? Sunset seems okay, but with all the app problems I'm not sure if it's down to the cards or the variable issues.
  • I don't know how many Homey's have BL installed, I haven't (I get the feeling it's just some of the very active people on the forum compared to the hundreds of Homey's which were sent). Of course it's not possible to always keep backward compatibility, also it's not possible for Athom to keep track of every third-party app. But, on the other hand, changes in the API should be announced and should be part of the release-notes to prevent situations like this where apps break. But OTOH : experimental FW :wink: 
  • But still: we all put quite some time in Homey so a warning would have been nice. Was something announced at Slack about the API?
  • Of course its "impossible" to test all(!) apps, buts the could use/consult/ some experienced community developers/key-users to try/test new/early firmware releases with there apps. 

This "experimental FW" will get a stable stamp over 2 weeks :wink:
    And this "experimental FW" will be the first available "stable" firmware for the next shipped badge :wink:

:| 

Never the less; to me its shocking to see these bugs/showstoppers/problems reach official release firmware releases.

1 step forward, 2 steps back.
  • I disagree: It's more like two steps forward, one step back :smile: 
  • AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited April 2016
    I agree partly. The amount of basic bugs and new bugs suggest that it's not build test-driven, with automatic regression tests, or implemented not extensively enough. With good automated QA this can all easily be prevented. As it should be done. But Athom is a start-up, as long as they implement this well enough soon, then there is no problem. For a settled company it would be way below par. :-)
  • Well, in the end only geeks that are app developers should be running experimental so they can prepare their apps for a general release of new firmware.... Unfortunatly at this point in time there is no firmware that is deemed stable enough with enough functionaltiy to have the majority not running on experimental... We'll have to see how this works out when other batches than the first- and geekbatch receive their homey's. If those batches need to run experimental because stable is of no use I think there will be more serious problems.
    (Not saying that current first and geeks problems are not serious!)

I'm pretty confident that Athom have checked the download numbers on the third party apps and have tested at least the top 5, so if the Better Logic app no longer works due to this update Athom must have deemed it not important enough to have this app 'fixed' before hand... 
    (I so hope I am so wrong here)
  • EvertorNEvertorN Member
    edited April 2016
    @MarcoF The only reason that experimental firmwares get a stable stamp, is because there is nothing else (yet) and they want to have some sort of firmware in the 'stable' channel, so users that don't subscribe to the experimental channel can play with Homey. Note the little 0 at the start of the firmware number? There is no V1 yet, so stable != perfectly working. API breaks happen in beta software because of refactoring code, new inisghts etc. As soon as a v1.x.x firmware has hit the channel, I agree that an update should NEVER break existing apps (backward compatible API's). 

@BasVanDenBosch They announced a new way of triggered flows that involved devices on Slack, but they didn't tell us old flows wouldn't work anymore. Anyway, that's where the experimental channel is for .
  • I set language to Dutch. Then the recognition ("wat is xtc" -> wolfram, "lampen aan" etc) is much better :)
  • My point is that next week 500+ Backers receive there homey which automagicly downloads 0.8.27 which looks highly unstable with some big showstoppers. 
    To me that's not a good first OOTB experience for non geeks. 
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited April 2016
    After .27 non of my Z-Wave stuff seems sending data to Homey, my thermostats, danalock and my fibaro sensors stoped to react / are not showing data (temperature/lux/movement).  E.g. the Sensors are still aviable but show no numbers under the Icons. Or my Danfoss LC-13 Thermostat shows E5 which means it cant reach the HUB.
  • Reading the posts, I gather that problems are all at the receiving end of Homey. Voicecontrols that don't register, triggers that don't work (Homey does not  respond to the "Do" command it's been given), thermostats which send data, isn't received, etc etc.  I don't know if this goes for Z-wave, but for my understanding, Z-wave in essence communicates with datapackets? Recieving them and... sending them to Homey?

It seems to me that although each on it's own is a bug,  seeing them combined, I figure that there is a minor overlook in the firmware as a whole. Maybe a "core' driver/controller doesn't activate or doesn't work properly, thus making Homey blind for commands/input. I hope the guys at athom are also looking into that. 

Also with 500+ upcoming users, they better make sure they fix this. 

I'm still running 0.8.24 for i switched off my auto-updater due to previous experiences. So i'm just going on what i read here and github. Not sure if i will update Homey to 0.8.27 as yet.
  • I still get a lot of false positives, even though homey now responds to my ok homey better.
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited April 2016
    Peao said:
    After .27 non of my Z-Wave stuff seems sending data to Homey, my thermostats, danalock and my fibaro sensors stoped to react / are not showing data (temperature/lux/movement).  E.g. the Sensors are still aviable but show no numbers under the Icons. Or my Danfoss LC-13 Thermostat shows E5 which means it cant reach the HUB.
    I tried to remove and re-add a sensor. Removing worked fine, but when I am adding a device the "Error: Z-Wave not ready yet."-Error pops. I waited 10 minutes, rebooted, restarted Z-Wave and got into wifi-recovery (dunno if this could've helped) but its always the same :neutral: . Removing is working ok, so I don't think the Z-Wave Chip is broken.

• PeaoPeao Member
    Peao said:
    Peao said:
    I tried to remove and re-add a sensor. Removing worked fine, but when I am adding a device the "Error: Z-Wave not ready yet."-Error pops. I waited 10 minutes, rebooted, restarted Z-Wave and got into wifi-recovery (dunno if this could've helped) but its always the same :neutral: . Removing is working ok, so I don't think the Z-Wave Chip is broken.

Did a complete wipe now. Everything is working again, I just need to setup all flows again :blush: 

• Downgrading is not possible right ? Athom should do a all nighter week focused only on the voice. These false positives and fixes that were talked about by using the real power of the microphones should be addressed first. This way at least the homeys can stay on and be tested instead of turning down the power
  • turning off the mic also prevents the false positives :'(
  • @Peao ;
    Strange! I get the feeling Athom only does synthetic tests and no actual "field" tests (as said before).
    Factory clean Homeys passes the tests, but the field Homeys crashes.... 
  • turning off the mic also prevents the false positives :'(
    You could also set your volume to 0%. That way you can keep testing the voice input :)
  • Fire69 said:
    turning off the mic also prevents the false positives :'(
    You could also set your volume to 0%. That way you can keep testing the voice input :)
    Haha if it aint working it will not work by testing right ?
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited April 2016

Pfff. net maar weer mn hand over mn hart gehaald en een reset to default gedaan in de hoop Homey weer iets betrouwbaarder te maken. En het is er niks beter op geworden.

Ik kan zeggen dat dit de slechtste firmware versie is tot nu toe.

Sunset Sunrise functie is na zoveel updates nog steeds slechter dan slecht aka onbetrouwbaar voor 90%

Z-Wave , doet niks anders dan vast lopen. Devices verwijderen is slecht. Ondersteuning slecht en wordt steeds slechter

IR ondersteund nog steeds bijna niks. of hakkelt en stottert

Spraak herkenning. Ok Homey doet het nu beter met de nieuwe sample set. Maar trainen zit er niet in want dat is altijd ruk. Verdere herkenning so so als ik het via de manager page bekijk, maar meest van tijd reageert hij met niks na de witte ring of krijg je kan server niet vinden.

Philips Hue doet het 90% van de flows niet . Willekeurig dus ligt niet aan de flow want de ene keer doet die het wel en die niet en dan weer die wel en die niet

Klik Aan klik Uit, bereik lijkt spontaan slechter geworden te zijn. Kon ik met .25 de tuin en zolder nog perfect aansturen moet ik nu 40 keer drukken en hopen dat de fontein aangaat of de tuinverlichting uit gaat.

Somfy - ik neem niet eens de moeite meer om de te configgen . Teveel werk zonder backup en restore functie

Nest -- Haha , die werkt . Maar heeft weinig aansturing nodig met Nest auto schema die bij ons redelijk saaie en constante schema goed op lijn zit

Vanavond weer een Homewizard op marktplaats gehaald voor een habbekrats uit de buurt.
    Gebruik die voorlopig de eerste maanden / kwartalen wel want het is echt een halve stap vooruit en 6 terug de laatste 3 firmware releases.

Jammerlijk vindt ik ook dat de 2 github issues van 2 z-wave devices gesloten zijn met opgelost (al bij .25) en er werkelijk geen enkele verbetering / opgelost probleem in zat.
    Begin nu na een paar releases van de laatste firmwares toch een hard hoofd te krijgen in het overzicht dat het dev team nog heeft van alle problemen of het geheel. Er had mijn inziens toch meer progressie gezien moeten worden.

Het feit dat ik zelf als gebruiker niet eens in een logfile simpel kan kijken naar foutmeldingen is op zn zachts gezegd erg irritant aan het worden.

En maar gewoon in het nederlands, zoals 99.9% van de mensen hier als landtaal heeft

• JesperJesper Member
    edited April 2016
    Since version 0.8.27 I'm not able to use my KaKu remote to start flows. Homey is able to send KaKu signals to my KaKu devices but it is impossible to use for example button 3 on my remote to turn on my Z-Wave dimmer.

But this could also be due to the update of the KaKu app instead of the update of the Homey firmware.
  • PandaPanda Member
    Training homeys voice is getting pretty irritating, repeating ok homey over and over for about 50 times makes me feel like an idiot haha, it is dead silent in my house, but still gives me errors that there is to much background noise.

Ok homey trigger without doing voice training seems to work fine so will keep it that way. Still many false positives that triggers homey when watching television.
  • @mruiter ;Somfy worked perfectly here. Within a minute I was able to configure/connect both my Somfy sunscreens to Homey. It is the one thing that always works perfect here.
  • If you assign a socket (non-existing)  to a button of the remote and you set a socket-change as trigger this will work. However, if you use the remote (channel/button) as trigger this doesn't work for me either...
  • edited April 2016
    I do agree with mruiter that the absence of any kind of log file is beginning to hurt. It would help troubleshooting any issues that pop up with every new firmware. Also, backup/restore of flows would be nice - I for one would try hard resets a lot sooner.

I guess Athom are busy shipping out more devices, which means more test subjects, which means quicker development. So let's focus on that until 0.8.29 :)
  • jorden said:
    @mruiter ;Somfy worked perfectly here. Within a minute I was able to configure/connect both my Somfy sunscreens to Homey. It is the one thing that always works perfect here.

As mentioned is aint even gona try. That means in need to get my somfy remote again from the cabinet downstairs, punch the learn button again 4 times for the screens, dismount two wall somfy buttons from the wall for my 2 sunscreens.

1st floor again 6 times learning for the screens on that floor and then again 3 times for the attic....
    I'm working 18 hours a day the last two weeks. It's to much of a dissapointment when i need to do a reset to default AGAIN an all is lost without getting more progress.

I Would almost say, priority 1 for homey. Backup and restore.... Or cloud config safe on youre account. 

• PandaPanda Member
    Yes, backup and restore is much needed.
  • ArjanArjan Member
    edited April 2016
    Jesper said:
    Since version 0.8.27 I'm not able to use my KaKu remote to start flows. Homey is able to send KaKu signals to my KaKu devices but it is impossible to use for example button 3 on my remote to turn on my Z-Wave dimmer.

But this could also be due to the update of the KaKu app instead of the update of the Homey firmware.
    Having the same issue with Smartwares remote, i think it is 433mhz related.

The most basic function doesn't work anymore which makes me a bit sad. Re-pairing the remote didn't make a difference, in the mean time i was so stupid to remove my first remote which removed all data from the flows the remote was linked in, so i can start all over again 
This discussion has been closed.