This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official SDK2

[APP] Kodi [2.2.0]

Comments

• nklerk said:
    This is exactly what I am doing. I am writing a driver that is a wrapper around the JSON RPC API that allows communication between Homey and Kodi. 9090 is the default port for TCP, but I am using the HTTP protocol to communicate with Homey (default 8080, but will be configureable). I can just trigger flows from within the driver.

I don;t see the need to use TCP, since Homey just does an occasional Kodi-call (e.g. yo Kodi, play this movie). The triggers are fired from the Homey side, not the Kodi side.. Anyway, if Homey gets too stressed because of HTTP, I can just easily switch to TCP. I made sure it's all portable, so switching to TCP later would be np :).
  • There seem to be many types of Raspberries. So which version of Raspberry is adequate enough to run Kodi?
  • There is plenty of information on internet but the a+ and better would do. 
  • Every Raspi can run Kodi, but the first generation was a little slow in the menus. Video was fine though.
    I would recommend a Raspi2 Model B. Model A has no onboard network, so you would need to use a usb network adapter (wired preferably)
  • Fire69 said:
    Every Raspi can run Kodi, but the first generation was a little slow in the menus. Video was fine though.
    I would recommend a Raspi2 Model B. Model A has no onboard network, so you would need to use a usb network adapter (wired preferably)
    Cool! And how would I control the TV-screen interface of Kodi then? With the app on my Android phone? Or do the Kodi-enabled Raspberries come with an IR-eye?
  • MartijnMartijn Member
    edited February 2016
    Always used an RPi for XBMC/KODI, never thought of replacing it until I bought the new Apple TV 4. Great device and super lightning fast with MrMC (KODI). With this device you've got Netflix possibilities, KODI, games (I don't use it for games), working! AirPlay functionality and much more other applications! I am so glad I replaced my RPi2 and Apple TV 3 with this device! 

And the best bonus thing they've added to the ATV4 is CEC, so you can control your receiver and tv with the "Bluetooth/RF" remote. 

In case someone begins about hacking or jailbraking... MrMC can be downloaded in the official AppStore without "hacking" your device.

My goal is to have a minimum of devices with as many possibilities at the same time! Without lip sync issues (Netflix on my Sony Tv), relatively slowness (RPI2) and input switching (receiver or tv).
  • Jon said:
    Fire69 said:
    Every Raspi can run Kodi, but the first generation was a little slow in the menus. Video was fine though.
    Cool! And how would I control the TV-screen interface of Kodi then? With the app on my Android phone? Or do the Kodi-enabled Raspberries come with an IR-eye?
    Normally indeed with the app on Android/iPhone
  • Normally KODI is controlled with the remote of your tv or receiver (or with the ATV4 remote :wink: 
  • spamenigmaspamenigma Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm using Kodi on the Amazon Fire TV which works great, interface swishy and allowed me to turn off my htpc. The remote is nice for it too.

However I believe RPI2 has CEC also for those tvs/remotes that support it.

Otherwise control from android phone apps such as the official Kore or Yatse.

Or you could add third party usb/remote.

or hopefully control from Homey soon
  • Martijn said:
    Great device and super lightning fast with MrMC (KODI). 
    I refuse to pay money to people who try to make a profit on the back of other people's hard work  :/
    I'll stick with my RPi, thank you :)
  • I have the Nexus Player and I'm very with it. Also have Kodi working on it and can use apps like Netflix. 
  • Martijn said:
    Always used an RPi for XBMC/KODI, never thought of replacing it until I bought the new Apple TV 4. Great device and super lightning fast with MrMC (KODI). With this device you've got Netflix possibilities, KODI, games (I don't use it for games), working! AirPlay functionality and much more other applications! I am so glad I replaced my RPi2 and Apple TV 3 with this device! 

And the best bonus thing they've added to the ATV4 is CEC, so you can control your receiver and tv with the "Bluetooth/RF" remote. 

In case someone begins about hacking or jailbraking... MrMC can be downloaded in the official AppStore without "hacking" your device.

My goal is to have a minimum of devices with as many possibilities at the same time! Without lip sync issues (Netflix on my Sony Tv), relatively slowness (RPI2) and input switching (receiver or tv).
    Idem dito here!
    ditched all hardware, only have an onkyo, ATV4 and Xbox One.  
    I really like the all-in-one solution.  
    Question is, will this Kodi Homey app be able to control MrMC on ATV4 as well?
  • BasPost said:
    Martijn said:

Idem dito here!
    ditched all hardware, only have an onkyo, ATV4 and Xbox One.  
    I really like the all-in-one solution.  
    Question is, will this Kodi Homey app be able to control MrMC on ATV4 as well?
    It shouldn't matter on what hardware Kodi is installed. As long as you have a proper Kodi installation it should work.
  • JonJon Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi @spamenigma but how does the (TV) remote then communicate with kodi device (let's say rpi2 or smartphone that I've set up as kodi server for that matter)? 
    I own a harmony universal remote, will I be able to browse through the kodi interface on my TV?
  • Shall we keep the conversation on topic? The topic is the new app in the AppStore (can't wait to test it!, cool!)

How to install, config and use Kodi? --> RTFM --> Google.com
  • I understand. It was my last question. Hope that @spamenigma or anyone else is willing to answer it and I can happily continue purchasing a rpi2... :)
  • Jon said:
    I understand. It was my last question. Hope that @spamenigma or anyone else is willing to answer it and I can happily continue purchasing a rpi2... :)
    Either use HDMI CEC or buy an IR sensor for the raspberry. But as mentioned Google is your friend. Also look into supported video types, not everything is supported by the raspberry because of it's limited powers (I decided to go for the much more expensive route and buy an Intel Nuc just to be future proof).
  • spamenigmaspamenigma Member
    edited February 2016
    Jon said:
    Hi @spamenigma but how does the (TV) remote then communicate with kodi device (let's say rpi2 or smartphone that I've set up as kodi server for that matter)? 
    I own a harmony universal remote, will I be able to browse through the kodi interface on my TV?
    Probably better to have a look at kodi forums as I agree we're all going off topic, however I'll just say since the question has been asked.. CEC is a method that many modern AV devices support, sending control commands through HDMI, so some tv remotes could control another device (dvd/blu-ray/receiver/raspi with kodi for example) connected via HDMI.

I don't see why harmony remotes or even homey (when its working) couldn't send an IR signal to the TV that in turn is sent to kodi (as long as its between two CEC compatible devices).
  • Back on topic:

Does the search include searching in Kodi-Addons?
  • Peao said:
    Back on topic:

I'm pretty sure it doesnt as it searches the library and the Kodi Add Ons usually stream content from online sources.
  • EvertorNEvertorN Member
    edited February 2016
    Phuturist said:
    Peao said:
    Back on topic:

I'm pretty sure it doesnt as it searches the library and the Kodi Add Ons usually stream content from online sources.
    Indeed, it doesn't (yet ). I'm not sure whether it's even possible, because my guess is that the addon itself should expose some kind of API as well in order to connect to it. I am guessing you wanna search for movies in addons like Genesis? Then Genesis would have to expose some kind of functionality for me to connect to, in order to search their moviedatabase. Definitely on the to-do list. I will look into it.

Anyway, my plan is to turn the app into a driver so it would be easier to add multiple Kodi-instances. As you guys can see in the demo video, movie playback works pretty smoothly. I am planning on implementing tv shows and music playback myself before releasing a first version and making the source available to the community to contribute. As you can understand, a like Kodi support is a HUGE project, so I need all the help I can get in order to make this a great succes . I just wanna make sure the basis is stable and good before releasing it to the public and allowing other people to develop as well.
  • EvertorNEvertorN Member
    edited March 2016
    I published a 0.1 preview version release on github: https://github.com/MarvinSchenkel/HomeyKodi for geek users to play around with. I will add this to the app store whenever I have added music and tv show support.

Currently working:

• Adding a Kodi instance as a device
    • Playing movies via speech
    • Playing movies via flow cards
    • Start a flow when a movie starts playing

Note: Only adding 1 device is currently supported

In order to access your connection details, go to System > Settings > System > Services > Web server on your Kodi. Then enable the webserver and use the supplied details when adding the device to your Homey.

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Great!
    Going to test it right now!! :smiley: 

[edit]
    Hm, installed the app, but it doesn't show up when I try to add a device

[edit2]
    Never mind, I keep forgetting I need to re-login :smile: 
  • Great! nice to hear you are making a lot of progres
  • Please note that my Homey does not responde to OK Homey. So I can't test natural speech myself. It currently greedily triggers on 'play movie' so it will interfere with other apps that trigger on 'play'. Whenever I can talk to my Homey again I will finetune the speech triggers.
  • Seems to be working nicely :)

For the triggers, can't you divide them in 'play' and 'movie' and maybe 'kodi'?
  • There are already some theories going on on the slack-chat on how to get speech working in the most 'natural' way. I have some theories of my own as well, but I need a working Homey to test them :). It's a lot harder than you think, since you don't want  your app to interfere with other apps that can play media as well. For now, this is something that will be optimized later.
  • You can test with the /speech-input? Or even with the android app if you have a phone with Android :smile: 

Saw the discussion on slack. It's not that simple indeed. Especially when there will be more and more apps with triggers... 
  • Awesome app, thanx EvertorN. Just installed it and was able to add a Kodi device. My first findings:
    • after adding the device the port number was gone in the settings of the device
    • when using the voice command "Play movie Mission Impossible" Homey first responds with "No media apps installed". Obviously it's conflicting with a built in command for the word play.
    • I tried playing a movie and first mentioned "Mission Impossible" but it seemed not to have understand my command, then asked to play "The Imitation Game" and it understood me but started to play Mission Impossible. It seems it had that queued. I will test this a little further soon.
    Havent played with the cards yet so cant comment on that.
  • Tried several movies hrre, they all worked from the first try. Iron man 2 (especially tried 2 to see if that would work). Even Victor Frankenstein was recognized :smile: