This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• Actually I am missing the slightest bit of professionality here. I would expect more from any developer even if it is a start up. 
    Like DenW I pre-ordered because I heard of homey after the kickstarter campaign was closed already and I was told to receive homey at the end of summer 2015.  And now it will be 9 month after that. There appeared several problems most of them  concerning the hardware especially the cases, which can't be solved over night. 
    But until now there was no word about real software problems.
    Missing functions,where claimed but at the same time there where several presentations of the great functionality  on YouTube and even more promotion on several exhibitions. 
    But how is it possible if it doesn't actually work, like it seams now? Why was there no proper testing of the software after all and even during the delay of the hardware last year? 
    Why is there are only news everytime you missed a deadline?
    Did you really don't know anything about your problems before?
    You are claiming to have the goal of delivering a working product, but that's a hard contrast of your information policy, because that would mean to tell your problems right away because it keeps you from your goal. You are working on homey for 1,5 only since I pre-ordered but actually much  longer and you're really expecting to solve problems of a non-working software  in 2 or 3 weeks which you developed this long? But I can't tell if this is more disturbing or the fact that you didn't even know about the problems and that at a time where you were planning to send the pre-order batch, which means the beta phase or like it shows no the alpha phase should be over a long time ago. 

Like I said it's just unprofessional. 
    There are almost no information and if there are they are redundant or miss leading. 
    You where overwhelmed getting the hardware done telling us that's the only problem holding you back from shipping and now it shows the software is even worse. At the same time you are promoting what you can do with this great peace of hardware. 
  • As a pre-orderer with estimate shipping Time at the end of january i made my decision between the new vera plus (z-wave, zigbee, bluetooth and wifi) and homey because of the shipping Date. 

Now the Vera plus is available for 180€ and my homey won't be shipped before july i think. 

Ok, that is not a fair comparison between a kickstarter and vera. But all that really perfect marketing from athom with eyecatching videos were so promising....

but know i begin thinking to buy a Vera plus.  I would really, really have a homey with little faults. But i also don't want to wait any longer. 

I know it is my decision. And homey isn't ready to ship. What Should i do? I Don't want to wait another 3 month. 
  • MarcoF said:
    @Fire69 ;;;
    Maybe it's an idea athom disables voice, work 110% on the other issues and if everything is stable the get back to voice again. 

Now nothing is working 100% and even if voice is working 101% you can't use it for example with Kaku/IR because that's isn't working properly.  

@ReneBoeije ;;
    Why do you refer to pre-order if there are still 450 Kickstarter order awaiting for shipment? 
    Sorry Marco, you are right. Kickstarters should have that choice too.
  • @Schippelkopf : I wouldn't call it unprofessional, that's is far too harsh IMO. Inexperienced maybe, and I really think they are putting all their time\effort in making the product better at the moment. That comes with being a startup and them developing their first product. And you really can't expect them to communicate about every little problem they run in to or solve, that's just not realistic. Keep in mind they are taking a different approach with what is essentially HomeyOS, an approach that should be far more flexible once working correctly. But that takes time, and obviously more so than even they expected.

Athoms last communication, only one week ago, mentioned a (rough) expectancy of a delivery timeline, and that timeline was given with full knowledge of the problems current users are experiencing. Although they explicitly haven't made any promisses, they have set expectations for both Backers and Pre-orderers. I think it would only be fair to see how Athom will live up to that, including the communication about it.

• @DenW: You are right about the issues and that athom is putting all there time/effort into the project, at least that's what I hope. But that's not the first big problem and every time it's only: We are facing a huge problem and the shipping is delayed for about 1-2 month. And with you mentioning the last update: Like you said they only talking about problems but not what it is really about and that is like they did the other times. Why don't they tell the software is not working like it should? Why do you have to search the information yourself in this forum? And I am not even talking about the information you get as a pre-orderer. There was more or less only the mail one week ago. That is more than a half year after the expected pre-order delivery. I was getting my information from the kickstarter page (where I am not even a part of the project) and from the facecbook feeds.
    I am not saying I lost my faith in athom or in the product yet. I hope it will be done soon and it will work like it is promised.
    I am just saying, why not inform the people waiting for your product proactive. And if you are reading the comments on kickstarter I am not the only one.
    And if we are all honest nobody is expecting athom to fit there new 2-3 weeks deadline. And that's unprofessional. They are developing for several years now and they are just guessing every time and they are not even close. If you are not experienced that is what you do and nobody was mad that they didn't fit their timeline in the beginning. What is the problem of putting some short news out more often. And if you are looking at the updates it seems that they always waiting with the bad news until they have enough good news to compensate. It's always "We didn't..., but look how wonderfull..." And that IS creating false expectations if you see a lot of boxes ready to go out but actually didn't and videos of functions actually not working.
  • So, what is the status? End of the week or do u need 2 more weeks? 
  • @MarcelKuijper ;
    Don't expect a answer....
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited February 2016
    But how is it possible if it doesn't actually work, like it seams now? Why was there no proper testing of the software after all and even during the delay of the hardware last year? 

I'll just respond to this small bit...
    First, do keep in mind that the largest part of their development phase WAS about the hardware... there wasn't much software until recently. Their hardware has been tested in a variety of ways, and apparently it passed all these tests before it was shipped... (they did communicate about the cases where the hardware failed their tests, which resulted in changes being made to the hardware... and added to the delays).
    Second, in regard to the software, as you can read on this forum, for some users their whole flow works, and Homey even responds to voice commands, and for some people most of the things they try do not work. Apparently, the people at the Athom office are in the first group... the tests they ran (including voice recognition) before they shipped Homey, must have worked.

And yes, voice recognition not working for a lot of people is definitely an important issue before they can ship the remainder of the Homeys. I'm sure this is irritating for the Athom team even more than for us. But give it a few more weeks, and this too will probably work (and what's a few more weeks, when you've been waiting for more than a year?)

So yes, it probably takes a year longer than anticipated before you have a working Homey at home, but there still isn't any other hardware out there that can do what Homey can. And because of its open development platform, from here on out the possibilities and the uses of Homey will only grow...

As for the rest of your post... it seems to me that your complaint is mostly about communication... we all know that is Athom's weak spot... we've seen dozens and dozens of posts on that topic already.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    @Bumblez ;
    I :heart: you men!!
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    Emile said:
    You couldn't be more right We continue shipment when most bugs are fixed!

The Kickstarter update of 21-2-2016:

current status of Git issues;

Shipping is in far, far away land! 
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    edited February 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Emile said:

I'm not closing issues anymore until the update is in stable, as requested... ;-)
  • Emile said:
    I'm not closing issues anymore until the update is in stable, as requested... ;-)
    So how do you currently track which issues are solved and which aren't? There don't even seem to be milestones for .20 and above, so that can't be it...
  • Emile said:
    MarcoF said:
    Emile said:

Besides that, just counting issues doesn't say that much. I'd much rather have 115 small issues and non-issues like questions than 76 blockers because everything is broken ;)
  • @superice clearly didn't wrote the last Kickstarter update :mrgreen: 

@Bumblez
    The uses a internal issue tracker :wink: 
  • MarcoF said:
    @superice clearly didn't wrote the last Kickstarter update :mrgreen: 
    What do you mean? I'm just saying that a number of open issues by itself doesn't say that much; the importance and 'size' of the issues is a big factor as well ;)
  • Dear Homeyans,

Last november I decided to start reading as much as possible of this forum. Since then, as a non-geek, I learned a lot out of the contributions of many of you. In januari I decided to pre-order a Homey, realizing and accepting the risk of a longterm-delivery.

Still I'm reading most of the technical tips and tricks, written about by many of you.
    But......I'm gonna be a little bit tired and sad, and even more than a little bit, of all the complaints about delays, a lack of communication, broken promises, and so on, and so on.

Please beloved Homeyans, I would like to go on learning from all of you by reading this forum, but could some of you please, please stop repeating themselves in non-effective arguments about the way Athom is doing its job?

Have fun with your Homey, now or later,
    Jan
  • I think that if you just skip this topic, you won't be bothered all that much by the complaints :)
  • @JanH ;
    January which year? 
  • MarcoF said:
    @JanH ;
    January which year? 
    I wrote about last november, so you may guess which year. But I got your point  :)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanx for your "answer" and patience!

If you can't stand the negative things, leave the forum :heart: 

Most topics contains complains.... 
    And not only this forum, also other forums:
    http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1592614/last

Sorry... 
  • @JanH I'm, for what is worth, with you. Just enjoy the ride.
  • Emile said:
    MarcoF said:
    Emile said:

MarcoF said:
    @MarcelKuijper ;
    Don't expect a answer....
    So what about shipping, how much more delay? Would be nice if u didnt evade the question and respond to these aswell.
  • superice said:
    MarcoF said:
    @superice clearly didn't wrote the last Kickstarter update :mrgreen: 
    What do you mean? I'm just saying that a number of open issues by itself doesn't say that much; the importance and 'size' of the issues is a big factor as well ;)

I could not resist...
  • JanH said:
    Dear Homeyans,

Last november I decided to start reading as much as possible of this forum. Since then, as a non-geek, I learned a lot out of the contributions of many of you. In januari I decided to pre-order a Homey, realizing and accepting the risk of a longterm-delivery.

Still I'm reading most of the technical tips and tricks, written about by many of you.
    But......I'm gonna be a little bit tired and sad, and even more than a little bit, of all the complaints about delays, a lack of communication, broken promises, and so on, and so on.

Please beloved Homeyans, I would like to go on learning from all of you by reading this forum, but could some of you please, please stop repeating themselves in non-effective arguments about the way Athom is doing its job?

Jan

Love the term Homeyans or in dutch: HomeyJan, word of the year 2016

hey homeyans: all homeys in my house goes: yes master, your will sir
  • tunf said:
    JanH said:
    Dear Homeyans,

Jan

Love the term Homeyans or in dutch: HomeyJan, word of the year 2016

hey homeyans: all homeys in my house goes: yes master, your will sir"

"All" Homeys in my house!? Your kidding right?  OMG!
  • tunftunf Member
    edited February 2016
    Pauluz said:

"All" Homeys in my house!? Your kidding right?  OMG!
    With all the discussion of shipment, i did not share my wish. I think i want a homey light in every room;
    a celeing unit with all that homey can, combined with led lightning and a smoke detector (module) so yes ALL the homey's

This way there is already power, it can control its own lights and other stuff in that room, include all sensors (or as an addon)

Or is it to soon to share my dream of the homey 2.0 light unit with addon modules? o
  • DenWDenW Member
    edited March 2016
    I completely agree with @JanH 's post regarding the people that only complain and whine (yes, some people do whine!) and tell Athom what to do. What are you contributing exactly? In what way are you helping Homeys development and progress? How is your post helping in getting Homey ready for shipment?

Again, nobody is saying you can't raise issues or voice your opinion. But I think in some posts (and certainly not all) balance is lost. A balanced post is far more effective than one that is kicking and screaming. A balanced post will be taken more seriously.

I've said it before and will do so again. IMHO, by buying Homey you bought into the finished product. You have effectively put your trust in Athom to deliver the product they said they would, including their decisions on how and when to do so and their communication about it!  Bumps in the road could and should have been expected, and we may or may not have seen the last one.
    You have not bought a part of the company nor have you bought a say in how they run it.  Getting mad, tossing the product or whining about little or even major setbacks doesn't help you or anyone else.

OK, on to the contribution part.

While I personally think it isn't as terrible as some people make it out to be, the prevailing opinion here is that communication is bad could be improved (see.. being more positive here! It's easy.. :) ). Well, let's see which communication channels Athom has set up and actively maintains or participates in:

1) Kickstarter updates: provides general information about status and timeline
    2) Facebook: provides links to Kickstarter general information but also additional info\photo's\video's can be found here
    3) Athom Forum: general and technical discussion for users and developers with active feedback from both Athom and users, and a special thread for Shipment & Software Status.
    4) Github: for developers and users to raise technical issues and see their status
    5) Trello: Athoms public Timeline with ToDo, Doing and Done list where you can see exactly what Athom is working on

Then we have (AFAIK and I'm sure more is to come..): 
    6) https://status.athom.com : displays the current technical status of the Athom\Homey eco(sub)systems
    7) https://firmware.athom.com : displays firmware version status and fixes\additions per version

This only lists communication channels set up by Athom at this time, AFAIK. Some companys even have less. Each channel has its own purpose, role, function and frequency. There may be some overlap, but don't expect a Kickstarter communication on Github for example. It is simply the wrong channel for that kind of information. Also don't expect Kickstarter to be updated as frequently as a Forum thread, they do have different functions and roles.

Yes, you DO need to get off your ass and actively look for some of the information, as with any product you are interested in. For me that is part of the fun. If you feel it's a chore, tough luck. Information is not always delivered in tabloid format to your lap by your mail-fetching dog so you can read it in your comfy big leather chair wearing your silk pyjamas, a nightrobe and bedtime loafers whilest smoking your Cuban. ;)

My € :) , :) 2

• tunf said:
    With all the discussion of shipment, i did not share my wish. I think i want a homey light in every room;
    a celeing unit with all that homey can, combined with led lightning and a smoke detector (module) so yes ALL the homey's

This way there is already power, it can control its own lights and other stuff in that room, include all sensors (or as an addon)

Or is it to soon to share my dream of the homey 2.0 light unit with addon modules? o
    I like that way of thinking!
  • A lot of bla bla going on lately, I'd like to hear an official update from someone from Athom, not people that bought into homey and missed the whole kickstarter period and idea's behind it.
  • JanHJanH Member
    A lot of bla bla going on lately, I'd like to hear an official update from someone from Athom, not people that bought into homey and missed the whole kickstarter period and idea's behind it.
    @DaneeDeKruyff please re-read my contribution and try to understand the message. Maybe you discover that  it's a little bit less "bla bla". And secondly, you stated that when one stepped in in later stage, he or she is not allowed to give an opinion. Strange idea, sir!
This discussion has been closed.