This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey Emulator

Hi,

I have been thinking about getting a Homey for quite some time. Now that Athom have started shipping, I need to make up my mind fast. I decided that the best way for me to evaluate Homey, was to simply build apps for it. So I installed the athom cli, created my first project, wrote some code and finally when I tried to test it, I came to the conclusion that I cannot test an app without a Homey.

Is there some form of emulator available perhaps? I don't even need all the different outputs. Just something that takes speech input from my laptop mic, processes it with my app and then generates a log entry that indicates what would have been the output on an actual device.

Regards,

PJ

Comments

• There was a virtual Homey, but it was taken offline. Not sure if it will ever come online again. Maybe you can contact someone with a Homey? In ten days, that should number should greatly increase.
  • The back and forth communication would be rather annoying this way though. I'm not an excellent Node.js programmer, so I will probably need lots of deployments to make my apps work :blush: I might just go ahead and get me one. The community seems to be big enough for it to become an amazing product.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    No, there is no emulator. If you can VPN into someone's LAN network and they give you access, you can test your apps on their Homey :)
  • Can we VPN into your office network and run our code there? For science. j/k

Haha, nice try ;-)
  • @Emile, There is still a big question for a virtual Homey. Is it possible to create one in a year when most of the big fixes are done and updates are not in a daily base anymore?
    I don't think you need one once you have your Homey :) 
  • Ofcourse there wont be a virtual homey anymore, just buy one  :)
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited January 2016
    This should have been a kickstarter pledge option:

"Big Backer: Get Access to Athoms office network and control their Homey. Note: This is the backing option with the most impact on the developing process."

I would be like transform your whole office into a "Nyan.cat-Chamber" (http://www.nyan.cat/) thanks to HUE and speakers :D  
  • Peao said:
    This should have been a kickstarter pledge option:

"Big Backer: Get Access to Athoms office network and control their Homey. Note: This is the backing option with the most impact on the developing process."

I would be like transform your whole office into a "Nyan.cat-Chamber" (http://www.nyan.cat/) thanks to HUE and speakers :D  
    Funny you should say that. About 13 years ago I hooked up a Velleman K8000 controller to a shitty little server in my home, and attached 2 remote controls for multiple RF-controlled power sockets. You know, the plug-in type, earlier versions of the KAKU/COCO systems. I even made a picture of the layout of my rooms and placed that on a web page that I could open on the computer and use to control the lights in my house. It was all pretty hacky with crappy HTML and javascript and perl to make the necessary calls to the K8000... but it was working.

And then I posted the URL online to a few of my closest friends to experiment a bit and see how it all worked. The next thing I know I wake up at 3 in the night with my lights going on and off pretty randomly. Yeah, I took it offline quickly after that. Good old days.
This discussion has been closed.