This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Android app

Comments

• Ok on Xperia z5 premium, 5,5 inch

• I just uploaded a new version which should be compatible with all Android 4.2+ devices, regardless of screensize. However, keep in mind that the app has not been tested extensively on tablet screens, so if you find any bugs, I'd like to hear about it :) The update should automagically appear sometime in the next few hours. Merry christmas!

• Douce point @superice for working on christmas day!

• edited December 2015

@superice Woow TOPPIE LGE LG-V500

• I'm #5 on a Motorcycle G 2014 with android 4.4.4. With this phone it's working nicely until the part after I need to log-in. There I can't get further because I don't have any Homey assigned.

• Play Store still displays "not compatible" with Samsung S6

• Same issue here with my Samsung Note 4

• Peao said:
    Play Store still displays "not compatible" with Samsung S6

That's weird, I was able to install it here now.

• mmmm was able to install the app now, though user name (mail adress) is not recognized.

• Sony Z5 compact working.

• Deentje said:
    mmmm was able to install the app now, though user name (mail adress) is not recognized.

You will need to register for an account at https://apps.athom.com. Your forum account won't work for this.

• That makes sense, thanks :)
  • Was able to install the app on my S6 now via PC and remote install in play store. But on my phone's play store it still displays not compatible  :s
  • Phuturist said:

Deentje said:
    mmmm was able to install the app now, though user name (mail adress) is not recognized.

You will need to register for an account at https://apps.athom.com. Your forum account won't work for this.

On my Note 4 it works, now I'm waiting for my Homey

• Can't register on https://apps.athom.com
    Oke completed, to fast :-)

• honeyhoney Member
    edited December 2015
    I had a look at this app and the APK. Am I correct in assuming that this is `frame` app, loading mobile pages from athom server? Of course it has navigation system and voice recognition but apart of that it looks like just a frame. That would also explain the absence of widgets, plugin connection and dash board.
    Is this homey :smile: :
  • honey said:
    I had a look at this app and the APK. Am I correct in assuming that this is `frame` app, loading mobile pages from athom server? Of course it has navigation system and voice recognition but apart of that it looks like just a frame. That would also explain the absence of widgets, plugin connection and dash board.
    Is this homey :smile: :
    Yes, you are correct. The cards overview is uniform with both the iOS-app and the web-fallback. The first option was, as I load the cards from the server, to render a separate webview for each card, but that turned out to be a huge performance hog, so we went with the one-webview approach, which I finetuned the shit out of (I've got a great story about css border-radius causing 3fps on mobile devices :neutral: ). Bottom line is that cards will always be webviews because app developers can define custom cards. If we'd implemented them natively, app developers would have to write Android, iOS and web versions of their cards, and we'd have lost a lot of flexibility, and a lot of security. All cards are completely isolated from eachother :)

There are loads of native components though. As you mentioned, navigation and voice recognition, but also push notifications. I do as much components as I can natively ;)

About that image: oops, I didn't know I still had that in the APK, that was a very early version of a Homey for in the black notification bar at the top of your screen. I don't think I'm using it anymore though :tongue: 
  • Does the app cache these server-retrieved items? In other words, does the Homey app keep working when Internet is offline in my house? (I know Homey itself will keep working, except for voice commands, if I remember reading about this correctly.)
  • Athomey said:
    Does the app cache these server-retrieved items? In other words, does the Homey app keep working when Internet is offline in my house? (I know Homey itself will keep working, except for voice commands, if I remember reading about this correctly.)
    Yes, but there won't be much use for it without internet, as retrieving the current state of devices, as well as updating the state requires a connection to Homey. Mostly I use caching to make starting the app blazingly fast :)
  • To be clear: the app communicaties through the internet instead of directly to Homey (when on wifi)?
  • To be clear: the app communicaties through the internet instead of directly to Homey (when on wifi)?
    Nope, when it detects a Homey on the internal network it connects directly (= way faster :) ) and otherwise it uses the secured Athom proxy, so you can access your Homey from anywhere. 
  • Is it possible to not use the Athom proxy and connect directly to your home network? (Having a ddns name and port forwarding set up)

• Is it possible to not use the Athom proxy and connect directly to your home network? (Having a ddns name and port forwarding set up)

This is technically possible, even without dynamic dns: a Homey could periodically send it's external IP to the cloud, which the app could use to connect externally. You'd only have to set up port forwarding (or your router would have to support upnp, in which case no action is required) However, there are a few hurdles to take: for example SSL. We can't just put a random certificate on your Homeys, but we can't just leave your traffic unprotected either. We're currently assuming your home network is safe, so there is no SSL required there, but whenever you check your home from public wifi, you wouldn't want anyone to sniff authentication keys. So while the backend infrastructure is there, we're still working out the details of how to implement it. Believe us: we'd rather not proxy anything at all, it complicates our server park quite a bit :tongue: 
  • That's why I'm asking, I wan't to be able to use the app independantly from your servers. I have a valid url on my home IP with matching certificates, and can set up port forwarding (manually, upnp is disabled!) so no need te 'read' my IP from an external source. I hope this use case is an option.
  • superice said:
    To be clear: the app communicaties through the internet instead of directly to Homey (when on wifi)?
    Nope, when it detects a Homey on the internal network it connects directly (= way faster :) ) and otherwise it uses the secured Athom proxy, so you can access your Homey from anywhere. 
    Thats awesome!
  • What's your definition home network? Same ip space or also same ssid as homey? If you only use ip space then you could have a security issue if a unsecured public network uses the same ip space.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    blusser said:
    What's your definition home network? Same ip space or also same ssid as homey? If you only use ip space then you could have a security issue if a unsecured public network uses the same ip space.
    When the LAN IP can be reached, basically. We don't advice to use Homey on a public network anyway. :-)
  • Thanks for your answer, but what I mean was, what happens if there is a webserver in a different network (which can be a public unsecured network) which uses the same rfc1918 ip space. Does the homey app check whether of the webserver is indeed a homey before logging in through http? If not this way someone is able to sniff your homey password.