This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Automating curtains

Comments

• Taco said:
    @fire69 When you add a Z-Wave device with capabilities that aren't yet build in the Z-Wave driver Homey tries to control the device using the Basic commands (on and off). This means Homey should be capable of opening and closing the curtains at launch.

Well, it's a start I guess. But still, I find it shocking that first it's said that Z-wave will definitely work and Zigbee will probably work. But by now it's Z-wave will have the basics working and Zigbee won't work.
    Any other things we need to know that were said to work but won't at launch?
    Sorry if I come over pretty negative, but I've been excited about receiving the Homey because it would improve my current crappy situation with the Almond+ but in the end the A+ will work better than Homey :-(

• At the moment I'm working very hard to get Homey through the Z-Wave certification process (which is very thorough). After we passed that phase I can focus on supporting more command classes. Please let me know which command classes you all find the most important so I can prioritize them.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited September 2015

(no offence to you personally)

Still working on "Z-Wave certification process"? Can homey be shipped if this process isn't finish?

Define Zwave classes as important is hard, this because most devices combine several (some >15) classes to work properly. So if a device uses 10 classes and only 7 are supported, it can happen that several devices are complete useless because the key class isn't supported.

Maybe its an idea to work per device type.
    Blind, switches, security stuff and make these types work.

For me its important that switches/powerplug report the power consumption. So if thats not working, the device is "useless" for my house/system.

• Taco said:
    At the moment I'm working very hard to get Homey through the Z-Wave certification process (which is very thorough). After we passed that phase I can focus on supporting more command classes. Please let me know which command classes you all find the most important so I can prioritize them.

For me it would be all command classes used in Fibaro units and Danfoss Living Connect as I have most of the Fibaro units installed.
    Roller Shutter FGRM-222:
    Basic, SwitchBinary, SwitchMultilevel, SensorMultilevel, Meter, Configuration, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, Protection, FirmwareUpdate, Association, Version,

FGD211:
    Basic, SwitchMultilevel, SwitchAll, Configuration, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, FirmwareUpdate, Association, Version, MultiChannelAssociation,

Single Relay Switch FGS-211:
    Basic, SwitchBinary, SwitchAll, MultiChannel, Configuration, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, FirmwareUpdate, Association, Version, MultiChannelAssociation, SwitchBinary, SwitchBinary,

Wall Plug FGWPE-101:
    Basic, SwitchBinary, SensorMultilevel, Meter, Configuration, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, FirmwareUpdate, Association, Version, MultiChannelAssociation,

FGSS-001: (very important because it is a smokedetector)
    Basic, ApplicationStatus, SensorMultilevel, AssociationGroupInformation, DeviceResetLocally, ZWavePlusInfo, Configuration, Alarm, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, FirmwareUpdate, Battery, Wakeup, Association, Version, MultiChannelAssociation, Security, AlarmSensor,

Univeral Binary Sensor FGBS-001: (for me important as this one checks the status of my doors (closed/locked))
    Basic, SensorBinary, MultiChannel, Configuration, ManufacturerSpecific, FirmwareUpdate, Association, Version, MultiChannelAssociation, SensorBinary, AlarmSensor, SensorBinary, AlarmSensor,

There are a lot of doubles in the objects and FirmwareUpdate is not important at start

• Fibaro smoke sensor and Vision CO sensor.

• I would suggest, look at Domoticz, escpecially how they deal with it (xml's)

• TacoTaco Member
    edited September 2015

We don't want to make a xml file for every device. We're using a algorithm to give you possible matches with a Homey device class which you can then choose from.

• Hi Taco, Thanks for the update. Although we are all awaiting our Homey very eagerly, we do understand that it is a complex process to get every working and certified.

Personally, I think some basic functionality of Fibaro devices should have the priority as these appear to be the most commonly available and generic z-wave products. I know some Fibaro have a ton of features, but the basics would be nice to get us started. Several switch command classes would definitely need to be number one, followed shortly by sensor command classes (although i'm not sure which command class is commonly used by Fibaro).

I noticed z-wave also has the firmware update command class. Since I don't want to get a Fibaro Home Center, would it eventually be possible for Homey to update the firmware of my Fibaro devices?

• Are some people getting cold feet in here? Hang in there! First homey's almost going towards the first out there! I know it's hard. Have to wait a few weeks because i've preordered......besides, if you look at the other products they all have their limitations. Fibaro with Fibaro... ;-) just to name one (and yes, i own and use several Fibaro devices like shutter, dimmer, double switch and smoke sensors)!

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited September 2015

As soon as the first batch is delivered, the game is going to change totally. Athom has been coping with new experiences, problems and insights in a very lean and flexibel way in my opinion. Ofcourse the product is less finished than THEY wanted, and than WE want. Ofcourse it's going to be MORE buggy then anyone expected. Ofcourse updates are going to bring MORE problems then we anticipated. Ofcourse delivering certain features is taking 100x more time than Athom ever expected them to take. Ofcourse the Pareto principle (80/20) is hurting MUCH more then anyone every thought. Ofcourse we are all going the be ungratefull, and making noise in the forums. ;-)

Ofcourse this will demotivate Athom, but ofcourse they are going to pull through. Ofcourse they are going to updates slowly delivering missing features. Missing usability is going to be fixed. Athom is going to have a hell of a time doing the right perception management. They are going to experience things they never thought they would. For me it has been an adventure watching these young and enthousiastic people, these REALLY smart (!) but yet unexperienced people. Their learning process, the changes, the growth. It's all very promising and more...

Having said that......I believe they will manage to get it all done, and get it done right and getting it done in a timely fashion, though ofcourse not as fast as I want, but yes as fast as is needed for me to stick around. :-) I'm very curious of the missing features, quirks and strange things we will experience together. Also the lovely, inventive and great solutions, tjok full of good surprises that they will bring to us as an answer to all that.

Don't forget, first-batch backers and geek editons and even regular kickstarters pay first, trust first, also will experience the first pain, the most pain, but the wonderful counterpart of that is that you also have MOST INFLUENCE to get it all exactly as you want it to end up...can't have your cake and eat it too... Nothing special about that, it always goes like that. :-)

2cts :-)

• Nice one @Athomey, I usually don't mix in these kind of discussions but that is pretty much how I feel. I think it's really interesting to see how Athom is evolving (which won't be easy). Bitching about unfulfilled promises won't help much, I'm sure Athom is doing the best it can.

• Just look at it from the positive side: every time a software update is released, we get even more value for our money and we have more tools to play with. It's like Christmas all year round :-D

Positive encouragement helps to keep Homey going, so we can all help out.

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited September 2015

Thanks JaapPelt, Phuturist. I believe key is the difference between doing the best-they-can and doing-the-best-possible.

The first gives you all the reason to complain, for I think Vera is doing the best they can, but it's simply not good enough and it could have been done much better.

The second simply is doing the best possible, which is a consequence of reality and nobody could have done it better than that.

Supported by what I observe in Athoms performance/results, mind-set and statements, I believe we are dealing with the second scenario. That means it's going to be the best product ever, by the right people in the right manner.

I'm glad I paid more for this unfinished product than it will cost in bulk when 1000nds are shipped, even though it's going to be less finished, less polished and more buggy....at first....I'm part of this adventure to get it to the point of the best product ever.

Lovely! Couldn't be better. :-)) I'm very curious about receciving my first batch PCB.

• Athomey,

I agree the experiance to be follow the development of a new product associated with my hobby is facinating. I am sure the end product will be excellent provided the guys at Athom persue in the path they have chosen and I am sure they will.

Emile,

As mentioned by Athomey after the introduction there is a new challenge ahead.
    I can imagine you can use help, assistance and support to improve the software.
    I also can imagine you do not want to be burdened to mutch in assistance to new users.

Probably an open door but anyway,
    Do you open a system to report and identyfy possible bugs or questions?
    Will there be a wiki kind of system to provide a manual for new users?

Experiance from another product learns you should try to mobilize an enthausiastic user group that will participate in improvement of the software or find yourselve the target of a nagging and sinical bunch of disappinted customers complaining on the past software release.

All,

Lets go for the first, and provide constructive and positive critics so in time there will be a product providing all our requirements.

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited September 2015

The way the critics are handled are also part of a nice game though

• Yes, that's the tough job of communication, expectation and perception management Athom must master. :-)

• Anyway, in my opinion their doing a good job because I still got a good feeling about Homey :-)

• So do I, and I'm not saying they're not doing a good job. I'll wait and see when I get my Homey, I just think I won't be able to do with it much at first...

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Yes, we'll be using an issue tracking system where everyone can report bugs!

• How often can we expect software updates?
    Do you work example with (weekly) sprints, so an small update every week, or combine them to for example once a month like vera (exempt emergency patches ofcourse)?

I personally would prefer weekly (small) updates. So bugs can be smashed quite fast, and it will be every week a (small) present with maybe a new feature :-)

Or are you going to support both with different update channels (bleeding edge versus rock stable)?

Or even an other option (release when ready regardsless timeframe).

edited September 2015

Especially in the beginning we'll probably release a lot of updates, I can image a few times a week.

After v1.0.0, which will happen before we go to retail, there will be a beta channel for people who want to test the new software earlier.

• Put me on the list!

jovink said:
    Put me on the list!

There'll be a checkbox ;p

• That's easy! Smart!

• Great! Choice is at the customer side.
    Will it be for both (per) apps and firmware this way?
    For example, I want to run a beta version for app X (due to issues) and for the rest run stable production code?
    And will it be possible to do a Rollback to previous backup and version (snapshot) ?

Great presentation at the HCC by the way ! :-)

Hm for apps we don't have an unstable channel yet, but that's a great idea. We put it on the list of to-do things!

• @Emile what about his other question about the rollback of the system in case of a bad beta for the system?
    And related: how complete is the online backup?

• JaapPeltJaapPelt Member
    edited September 2015

For android apps, developers sometimes have a seconden beta app in the play store. (Chrome for example)