This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Athom account connected Homey - Mail/push message when not connected

2»

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

We do some pre-processing that's CPU-intensive (natural language parsing), and this set-up allows us to combine multiple STT servers, and switch them whenever we need to without pushing an update! :)

• True. Good thinking.

• OGSOGS Member

So speech recognition won't work without a my athom account?
    Or you have to set it up yourself?

Well, for now it does, but I can't guarantee it will in the future.

• OGSOGS Member

Why would you change that?
    If your server goes down then all the homeys lose their speech option.
    As this the name of the topic, also your internet can go down as it did in Eindhoven.
    http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/2327391113/Bijna+13.000+huishoudens+getroffen+door+grote+stroomstoring+in+Eindhoven+en+Geldrop.aspx

Our servers probably have a better uptime than a domestic home ;)

• OGSOGS Member

I hope so but still it would be nice to keep it in the homey itself.

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited July 2015

OGS said:
    Why would you change that?
    If your server goes down then all the homeys lose their speech option.
    As this the name of the topic, also your internet can go down as it did in Eindhoven.
    http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/2327391113/Bijna+13.000+huishoudens+getroffen+door+grote+stroomstoring+in+Eindhoven+en+Geldrop.aspx

I'm simply assuming that their servers are hosted by a hosting provider which will have the option to have two feeds for power and internet.
    Also, these feeds could be protected by a large generator in case of the two separately routed power feeds go down.
    I don't think power and/or internet are the biggest concern, human error is more likely (like the patch loop created lately:h ttp://tweakers.net/nieuws/103067/internetknooppunt-ams-ix-kampt-met-uitval-update-2.html )

• Emile said:

Mute reasoning: this means Homey is down when my own Internet is down OR your servers are not up/connected. So the choice INCREASES downtime. ;-)

Athomey said:

Emile said:

Mute reasoning: this means Homey is down when my own Internet is down OR your servers are not up/connected. So the choice INCREASES downtime. ;-)

I was refering to the article ;) When your internet is down, our choice does not matter. When our server is down, it will be re-routed to another one. If one of our STT providers is down, we have fallbacks ;)

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited July 2015

Emile said:

Athomey said:

Emile said:

... I was refering to the article ;) When your internet is down, our choice does not matter. When our server is down, it will be re-routed to another one. If one of our STT providers is down, we have fallbacks ;)

Should have known I shouln't have posted a reply when drunk and have reading what it was about. ;-) Especially to a post by you.

This discussion has been closed.