This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Red ring of "death"

Hi all

Just bought a homey, powered on, get to the the setup.athom.com, conected to the wifi of the homey, wanted to update and there it stopped, now i have only, after switch off and on again,  a red led after a few minutes.

Any help please

Hans

Comments

• @hsnijder First of all. Welcome to the Homey community!!

The good part is: It ain't broken. Homey is pretty stable. Bricking it, is nearly impossible. It might show some glitches once in a while. After almost a year I also had a red-ring. @Athom / @Emile are sure to be on it! Perhaps you could try to power off a minute or 30. Then try again? 
  • AppieAppie Member
    edited November 2016
    Join the club, PTP'ing all day, red, purple, orange, have seen it all.... https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2237/homey-v1-0-1/p2
  • MarcoWijk said:
    @hsnijder First of all. Welcome to the Homey community!!

The good part is: It ain't broken. Homey is pretty stable. Bricking it, is nearly impossible. It might show some glitches once in a while. After almost a year I also had a red-ring. @Athom / @Emile are sure to be on it! Perhaps you could try to power off a minute or 30. Then try again? 
    Marko,
    Did that uhh  45 minutes off... 2 minutes :)

• swttt said:
    @swtt Yes did not work
  • I missing @athom completelie on this importent day. No slack messages, no forum messages, ar the down by champagne? 
  • They should have changed something with usb recovery, but can't seem to find anything in the support section.
    Best bett would be mailing their support or spamming them on slack :smile: 

• @MHubert, no mail from support@athom.com as well. Very well planned, the day after a big update... @Annemarie, are you somewhere?
  • Got my second Homey today for development, 
    First the setup.athom.com starts a updating the updater ;-)
    That took to long and after some progress (Blue bar grows... ) and rollback (Blue bar Shrinks ???? ... )  My feared RROD appeared after amax a couple of minutes, although pulsating and waiting 10 to 20 minutes no progress  ( full barr ar Updating the updater).  Pulled the plug and started over.
    Seconds time  same problem, 
    Started third time again on a notebook wired to LAN with Wifi. (don't know this helps, should not be necessary!)
    Again a RED pulsating Ring, With te RED Ring tuned Homey upside down. 
    That dis the trick,  no countdown... but after 15 -30 ?? seconds Orange Ring....
    Putting him back on his feet, I could re-start the setup using the normal procedure of Setup.athom.com
    This time it worked, and I could update to the latest Firmware. 
    Choosing to Press ALT at that screen I have chosen for a complete image.... (You should get a cup of Coffee ;-) during the setup somewhere )

Be careful!!! After this Homey restarts and starts flahing (Purple ring!) on the screen there is imho a to small waring: Do not remove the Power during the PURPLE ring... This can take up to 1 hour! 

This toke approx. half an hour I guess, don't know exact!
    Now everything on Homey2  is Working OK, Setup Procedure was great!
    But Updating the updater is definitely something the wan t get rid off...  

Hope to help someone with this.
  • Got my second Homey today for development, 
    First the setup.athom.com starts a updating the updater ;-)
    That took to long and after some progress (Blue bar grows... ) and rollback (Blue bar Shrinks ???? ... )  My feared RROD appeared after amax a couple of minutes, although pulsating and waiting 10 to 20 minutes no progress  ( full barr ar Updating the updater).  Pulled the plug and started over.
    Seconds time  same problem, 
    Started third time again on a notebook wired to LAN with Wifi. (don't know this helps, should not be necessary!)
    Again a RED pulsating Ring, With te RED Ring tuned Homey upside down. 
    That dis the trick,  no countdown... but after 15 -30 ?? seconds Orange Ring....
    Putting him back on his feet, I could re-start the setup using the normal procedure of Setup.athom.com
    This time it worked, and I could update to the latest Firmware. 
    Choosing to Press ALT at that screen I have chosen for a complete image.... (You should get a cup of Coffee ;-) during the setup somewhere )

Be careful!!! After this Homey restarts and starts flahing (Purple ring!) on the screen there is imho a to small waring: Do not remove the Power during the PURPLE ring... This can take up to 1 hour! 

This toke approx. half an hour I guess, don't know exact!
    Now everything on Homey2  is Working OK, Setup Procedure was great!
    But Updating the updater is definitely something the wan t get rid off...  

Hope to help someone with this.

Sorry did not help
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited November 2016
    I thought there was gonna be a simple recovery sollution released with the retail launch? I think they told us at the meeting or am I wrong? Maybe someone who was at the meeting too can confirm?
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited November 2016
    HansieNL said:
    I thought there was gonna be a simple recovery sollution released with the retail launch? I think they told us at the meeting or am I wrong? Maybe someone who was at the meeting too can confirm?
    You mean the new setup-wizard, they released this. Further just hold Homey upside down and try it again, if it's a software fault it will work after it, otherwise just contact Athom support by mail/slack :)

Further, complaining about no support, it was weekend guys and they made late hours the days before as a small team,. Give them some rest in the weekend, don't assume you all work then normally. I assume today they will be responding like they always do
  • AppieAppie Member
    edited November 2016
    HansieNL said:
    You mean the new setup-wizard, they released this. Further just hold Homey upside down and try it again, if it's a software fault it will work after it, otherwise just contact Athom support by mail/slack

Further, complaining about no support, it was weekend guys and they made late hours the days before as a small team,. Give them some rest in the weekend, don't assume you all work then normally. I assume today they will be responding like they always do
    Lubbert, if you decide to launch your big first stable retail version right before the weekend, then I think it's very unprofessional/naive to think that you can sit this one out.

Why not wait with this big launch for Monday, be on full alert for big issues (soft launch) and do your big launch in Media Markt the next weekend with champagne and stuff, because then you have the (data based) confidence that you can have some/a lot, fully deserved champagne?

Let me be straight: I admire the balls of Athom, I fully support their ambition and goals, but this decision was very strange in my honest opinion.
  • @appie they did a softrelease with the firmware to the community. Issues found where fixed within a few hours. So i do understand they where confident. 

The thing might be that the update on first install takes a while, and that new users might have tought the device hangs. A ptp in the middle of an update might have been the issue for some of the red rings ( maybe even all of them). 
  • OK @swttt, thanks for the clarification. Only thing I saw was when I entered my living room on Saturday morning, my Homey was red like Sinterklaas. Will wait when Athom will contact me.
  • I have similar problems with the Homey i got Saturday, and i'm getting pretty pissed at the lack of communication by Athom, since this was the big retail release i would expect them to be ready in full force, but so far i haven't seen any constructive reaction by Athom on the forum, slack or by email.

• Same here.
    On saterdaymorning he was suddenly red.
    And still no reaction of athom support. Maybe its best to send it in for repair?

But maybe it's wise to release new software releases on monday-thursday?
    Until then I think it's better to uncheck the automatic update option.
  • I also got the red ring, but after  pulled the plug for about 10 sec. everything but the push notification is working fine.
    edited November 2016
    @Appie just like @swttt said there was first 1.0.0.RC1 release in developers preview, after that 1.0.0 with the new setup wizard. We did found bugs in the 1.0.0 and setup wizard, so they fixed this manually thursday evening around 23:00 at our Homey's. Released a fix friday morning and 1.0.1 became available for the entire Homey community. @ Slack and here no big issues that day, that started saturday as we can see at the startpost.

It's always a choice to update and be on the latest. Production enviroments always wait before they update to the latest version. Athom is no different then Windows, Apple or wich other software company where you can find stories that update(s) will "brick" the device. 

@Annemarie did say on Slack she is busy with the support topics/tickets/mail, give  them some time to respond with a proper and good answer, today was the first business day :)

Note:
    Offcourse i understand that it's very sour when you just bought it and it bricks but mallfunctions can be found at every hardware device. Just give Athom the credits/time to respond personally
  • mbalik79mbalik79 Member
    edited November 2016
    glijie said:
    I also got the red ring, but after  pulled the plug for about 10 sec. everything but the push notification is working fine.
    Push notifications is down, see also https://status.athom.com/
  • mbalik79 said:
    glijie said:
    I also got the red ring, but after  pulled the plug for about 10 sec. everything but the push notification is working fine.
    Push notifications is down, see also https://status.athom.com/ 
    thx,

checked it yesterday evening and at that time everything was operational, lets hope that there was a delay in showing the status.
  • count on it, yesterday morning I still received notifications on my phone. Afaik the status-page was only updated this afternoon...
  • @lubbertkramer, well Athom is actually different than Windows. Do you know the term Patch Tuesday? With all the launches i've witnessed and managed, there were two options: 1) launch before/during weekends with the whole (support) team on alert five to manage client issues during and after launch. Have some video games, pizza and stuff to make at a nice weekend, or 2) launch at the beginning of the week, to have enough time to handle issues during and after launch before the next weekend starts.

In my book, launching and not have support ready for the next two days is a big f*** you to your clients.

And I got my homey a few months now, following the forum since the kickstarter project, so I've seen that this is a continuing story, nothing learned.

This is the only thing I'm pissed about, I'm quite a positive guy... ;)
    edited November 2016
    @Appie I know, but updating something that is not allowed to brick/break/get downtime is always the other side of getting those new features :P Oh wait no new features only stable, for that we have to wait a little bit longer ^^ 

I believe they do the best they can and they tested the updates, several releases before 1.0.1 (not 1.0.0) became public. I think they also need some rest, blow of steam after the hard work they needed to put from KS until now. They did come a long way, and still have a long way ahead.... If the release (public retail) was smart and was smart to do on saturday i don't know, i think when you do it you always end up with some shit you didn't foresee.

But keep up the positive flow then i would say and let see if we can tackle this problem together with Athom!
  • I hope there will be a very simple program that will download and send the firmware to Homey. Than even the No Nerds can "unbrick" their Homey.

• @HansieNL That's planned within a month and that's (afaik) the main reason for the desktop-app...
  • In principle you have to go back to the shop where you bought the product.
    They have to sort it out with there supplier.
  • @TheoDeKoning I bet that contacting Athom directly goes way faster. Plus they might learn more from it. When i bricked mine (my own mistake) i had to fill in a form with what happend. I had a new homey within a week.
  • To keep this discussion centralised, allow me to copy my issue from a previous post...

After the update to the latest firmware - I came from the experimental channel - I have woken up twice to find my living room lit in brothel red. Not what I had hoped to see, and completely new for me; I have never had a RROD before. Fortunately, a PTP solves this.

I have send a log, with this code: 3AFC5CA1CB

Hope this is looked into and solved; a PTP has to be performed manually and until than, my curtains are drawn (and other stuff doesn't work anymore). My smart home becomes pretty dumb ;-)

• Update, support has contacted me: my Homey is bricked, so I have to send it to Athom. Well, there is (red) light at the end of the tunnel!