This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

question: How do you guys manage the flows

mbalik79mbalik79 Member
edited June 2016 in Questions & Help
After two months having a homey at home i have a question how other users manage their flows. The folder option is a great sollution, but afte +100 flows I don't how to put it on a logic way. For example I have a folder TV-flows. In this folder I have all my flows for the television (switching channels by name, etc).
But after a while I don't know exactly know whichs flows I have (and at which place).
How did you guys have did managed?

Comments

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I don't manage them. Its more "trail and error" and search myself crazy on bugs and/or used components/cards....

Its mentioned already and is would be great if @Athom could implements a function like;
    Show which flows are using:
    AndroidTV:CardX,
    KaKuRemote:ButtonX
    Soundboard:SoundX

With such a "feature" it becomes possible to found out why SoundsX is played at a certain moment or why 2 actions are triggered after pushing button X of remoteX

• MarcoF said:
    I don't manage them. Its more "trail and error" and search myself crazy on bugs and/or used components/cards....

Its mentioned already and is would be great if @Athom could implements a function like;
    Show which flows are using:
    AndroidTV:CardX,
    KaKuRemote:ButtonX
    Soundboard:SoundX

With such a "feature" it becomes possible to found out why SoundsX is played at a certain moment or why 2 actions are triggered after pushing button X of remoteX

But don't you have any flow like "light on when sun goes down", "lights on when somebody is at home", etc.. I curious how other homey user's have place them in folders...
  •  For time based flows (timers/sunset/Sunrise) I use a folder 'Time Based'

For a light or lights in a location I use the location name ie. Hallway. In that folder the wallswitches toggle a boolean variable (Better Logic) and a change in the boolean variable toggle's the light state accordingly.

If I want to turn the same light on or off based on sunset or bedtime I make a flow in 'Time Based' that sets the before mentioned boolean.

If I would change the light state based on what the TV does I would make a flow that set's the boolean variable in the 'TV flows' folder.

So for me finding an action cards that sets a variable would be very handy.

MatjaLipu does with his Candy app (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1646/candy-productivity-app#latest) I wonder if a search function for flows could be build in an app.

• I organise flows by devices in actions. (folder tree; lights, living room, corner)

Filtering flows by device it's using shouldn't be a problem.
    In general: show flows using specified cards and args (devices, buttons, values).

Can you describe what search use cases are you looking for?
  • @MatjaLipu

I think it would be very usable if you could search for a specific card in the then column.

For example, the action that set's my light(s) is in a specific folder for the location of that light(s), but the flows to set the boolean that triggers that light can be any where, ranging from the same folder (if it's a switch in the same location) to my folder for 'Time Based' or anything else.

So if I want to find all flows that will do something with my 'Ganglamp' (Hallway lights):

Find all flows with a set/flip boolean variable named 'Ganglamp' in the ...then column:

How the results would be presented is something to think about, if there are multiple results you'd want to be able to return to the search results after checking out a result from the list.

• I think my question wasn't good enough. My fault, I mean't how to organize everything in flowmanager..On zone, device or trigger..I think I'm gonna do something like @MatjaLipu write above here.. thanks for the answer so far
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Member
    edited June 2016
    No, you're question is vaild and clear, there's just many ways you can organize it so a search function would be very welcome, that's where @MatjaLipu jumped in and asked what search use cases we're looking for. The one I describe above is usefull for my way of arranging flows, but may differ for others, but anyone can jump in and explain their use cases.
  • @DaneeDeKruyff can you explane where you are use the betterlogic for (maybe a screenshot of a flow). I think I'm not getting everything out of this app (think it's more powerfull then I think now). 
  • Sure, no problem.

What I wanted to do is switch the Hallway lamps (Ganglamp) with 2 switches, one near the living and the other next to the front door, a two-way switch (Hotelschakeling)

There are two Klik-aan-klik-uit AWMT-003 switches mounted in the wallswitches and two Hue lamps I want to turn on or off.

I've created a Boolean variable in Better Logic called 'Ganglamp'

Next I've created the flows to set that variable:

Schakelaar 1 aan:

Schakelaar 1 uit:

Schakelaar 2 aan:

Schakelaar 2 uit:

The switches do not actually turn the lamp on or off, they toggle a boolean, so there is another flow needed:

Switch the lights:

To extend on this way of switching lights on and off:

When the generic alarm of a motion sensor is turned on:

Another option would be to set the Boolean to true when the doorbell is rang etc.

Hope this makes it a bit clear for you :)

• Ok..thanks! That makes it clear.. You use the switch to set a boolean (and not the device). The device can so be swichted on the trigger of the boolean
  • Nice example! So this is how you can make an 'hotel schakeling' with kaku switches. :)
  • mbalik79 said:
    After two months having a homey at home i have a question how other users manage their flows. The folder option is a great sollution, but afte +100 flows I don't how to put it on a logic way. For example I have a folder TV-flows. In this folder I have all my flows for the television (switching channels by name, etc).
    But after a while I don't know exactly know whichs flows I have (and at which place).
    How did you guys have did managed?

I stumbled on the same issue as you did.

Would be nice to have an clickable cross-reference page in the Homey WebGui. I added a posting to the suggestion section:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1829/add-cross-reference-page-in-webgui-for-searching-and-monitoring-devices-and-variables#latest