This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

my first homey

Comments

• tunftunf Member
    Hi all, thanks for reading, i understand it can be better in 1 post but then there is the risk you cannot see the time line, that is why i choose to do it this way, see it a bit like a blog inside a forum.

Today homey doens't want to listen to rain commands, the buienrader is not giving any response at all.
    What i did not tell you all from last night is that it did 4 voice searcehes while there was no ok homey, this where falls triggers. No action came out of that but just to let you all know.

testing some voice inputs and then let homey answer is bringing me to the fact that some words/ or full lines are 100% hit ratio and some only 5% or not at all. Perhaps this has to do with build in commands, which as mentioned before are not listed.

By training your own ok homey you can improve homey. That made me think, why not create local recognition based on my commands. For example; if my voice commands are lights on and off for 90% of the time used, create a local recognition so it is not send to a server and the response can be ultra fast.

Also talking like playing in a musical with word by word is bringing the hit ratio higher.

I think i will leave it to this for now due to the wheater and tonight i will start adding z-wave devices and temp. controllers and radiator valves.

Also mentioned before, like IR i would like to be able to hit 433 devices and so that homey can learn and i can tag the device purpose. So if i use a somfy remote, press a button, tell homey this is a somfy device to use xyz and then log in back in a database so more users can learn like ir device xyz.

Talking about ir remotes, added one more and again homey makes it an ir device. In the list it tells me that it thinks it is an samsung type xyz. Why not name the ir device to that name that was selected? Small thing to do, simple for the users.
  • tunftunf Member
    If i want to play music, no dutch command works. If you ask ok homey play some music it lets me know that there is no media app installed. Translation is not fully in dutch as mentiod before.
  • A post is only editable for a short period of time.
    I think they have changed the forum post editing settings. There is no restriction now for me.
  • tunf said:
    Ir training went somehow okee for original remotes. Remotes for fibre tv box is not recognized.It sees the signals but don't know the device.
    The database is not very extensive yet. I even have some philips-remotes which aren't recognized (modern TV's with Jointspace from the time we were still proud off Philips :wink: ). You can add these manually.
    tunf said:
    Just tryed to create a flow to shutdown all lights (slapen) but then i need to select all lights. It would be great if i can select a room or devices in a room instead of the whole devices list to do xyz.
    Afaik this should work like this already (didn't try).
    tunf said:
    It is not possible for me yet to change the name, it is telling me ir,  i would like to edit the name so i know what ir device this is.
    You can click on the name of the device in the "zones and devices" screen, there you can change the name.

• JanHJanH Member
    edited April 2016
    He guys, reading Tunf's diary is really very instructive! Step by step he is coming across problems and very different Homeyans are answering with solutions.
    Many of the experienced items are details but very practical.
    I know that Athom is working at a brandnew website but I wonder if all this kind of Q and A can be collected and included. Homey seems to be both a userfriendly pet and a quite complicated thing, something like a human being.
    Could it be an idea building that QandA altogether? Finally it could result in an Ebook "Homey for dummies and everybody else".
    So question to Athom: is it technically possible to let the Homeyans build a kind of QandA at the new website?
  • I think it's fine too, maybe we should make a sub-forum 'first experiences' where people can create topics like this :)
    That way you don't hijack other topics, and other people can decide if they want to read it or now :)
  • @JanH ;
    Its stands one free to create a Wiki :wink: 
    Its said by multiple members, but nobody initiated it :smile: 

• tunftunf Member
    Just a small update, homey is not responding very well today but just found out that if i say oke home, pause 2 seconds it is better. Also i experianced that after a voicecommand that went well or wrong i need to wait at least 2 more seconds for a new oke homey, otherwise it will not respond at all.
    I was expecting that i could tell it a full line: Oke homey, nieuws alsjeblieft but now it only works like:
    Oke homey .......... nieuws alsjeblieft.

Thanks all for reacting on my posts. I started this to share all my experiances just to be ahead of a bung of end user issues that could be simple for advanced users but with the dummy mode on it should / could react a bit better. Mentioning that, why not put al default available and more detail/ advanced settings after i select expert mode. Using config modes defaut, expert, geek the customer can select the detail info.

Name change of ir worked but as mentioned, i selected the device type so why not use that as a name? It is an automation product not hand product.;-)

Just had another look to add rooms to flows but not able to do so. I was then looking for a help button but did not found it. Perhaps it is also an idea to add a ? button on each place linked to a wiki/ Q and A place?
  • tunftunf Member
    Was looking to export device list and or flows but this doens't seem possible. I wanted to do this before i try to go on with z-wave. would be a nice to have, stored on athom cloud, i can select between (major) versions and what to restore, flows, devices or so.

In advance from there, select which flows to share with others or import from others (flow store). I was looking for alarm setup, if users (not possible to create a group called home owners and use that on places) owners are not at home and x and y and detection on motion or door then trigger alarm mode, sound alarm, mail etc. Reusing other ones flow could help me get started on a more advanced flow instead of full programming. Again not for an it / expert but there will also be simple users that can get inspirated.  If this option will come, perhaps also label it for the previous request, default, expert, geek flow?
  • @tunf ;
    Export/Import would indeed be a great and must have feature and especially because it looks like new firmware only work OK if you do a full factory swipe.
    I'm very curious to the new firmware and how the realworld Homeys handles it.

Keep up the great work and thanks for all the time you put into this!!
  • tunftunf Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks all for your support!

I was looking for the homey apps to see how that works, only, windows and iphone no android. For windows and iphone i cannot find the app but for Windows i don't need an app if i can use chrome in dashboard mode. A dashboard mode would in my opinion be configurable by putting pre dev. options like switches/ buttons, wheater news and other stuff. move it around and save it for that user. This way i can create multiple windows screens in the house an create users that have that look, so in the bathroom i can use the light there and select audio and the motion from the front camera (ok there are a lot of feature requests here but a men got's to have a dream). In my living room i can then logon with users livingroom and see another layout.

If this will be possible, please also create an option to copy a dashboard to other users so it can be fast deployed.
  • tunftunf Member
    Last post before i really wil start enjoying the wheater and play with the kids; will apps be udpated automatically once installed if there is a newer version? I cannot find its behavior.
  • tunf said:
    Last post before i really wil start enjoying the wheater and play with the kids; will apps be udpated automatically once installed if there is a newer version? I cannot find its behavior.
    Yes. Even if on the Updates section of settings "Download and install updates automatically" is not checked
  • tunftunf Member
    oke, kids are playing nicely without me, paired my first z-wave device and was found directly (popp plug dimmer). Here also, seen as device with a name and after creation it is named new z-wave design. Why not use the device name and go from there?
  • tunftunf Member
    edited April 2016
    possible to add a couple of smoke detectors (z-wave) type is sf812-1 by everspring.com hit the test button but no action from homey or available on insights. I was expecting homey to tell me homealarm pressed, and at insight, smoke alarm (sensor) available and when selected, ,test done on date and time xyz. Will add some more and look for that later. Also no battery status or so ever.
  • TacoTaco Member
    Do you have the correct association set?

You can edit the device name from the pairing wizard also.
  • tunftunf Member
    now that the stack of hardware is growing i started to number the devices. So dimable led spot 1, 2 etc. and smoke detector 1, 2 etc.
    I can place them later in my house on the spot i would like it to be. After that i will change the names perhaps again. For now i made a drawing/ sketch about what is going where. I decided this because otherwise it will be a pain in the ass to figure out what is where and how to operate. The reason it has numbers and not the final name in sketch is that i don't know if everything has enough reach and will work. I configure them in 2 meters from homey in the living room. Just a thougt for other people if the get started with other hardware. Tonight i will add the danfoss radiator valves.
    In total now 10 z-wave devices added succesfull, a lot where second hand and needed to be reset first.

After a z-wave addon i need to make a choice for the group, none or 1, i cannot find what this  is and when to choice what. Anyone?
  • tunftunf Member
    edited April 2016
    playing around with the flows to create a fire alarm flow. Directly missing the OR function. if smoke detector 1, 2 or 3 or 4 etc. has smoke alarm and we are home or time is between x en y do action. This is currently not possible and a big missing part on user friendlynes in my opinion.

Also missing the groep of flow function. I would like to create a group with flows, brand alarm, group of flows for door sensors etc. etc.
    This to reuse on other flows (nesting) so i can create an alarm flow, if device group 1, 2 and 3 went of while bluetooth dongels all are away do this.

In fact mentioning a lot of group questions, why not make it universal and allow grouping and let the user deside what is in the group, for example a couple of devices, couple of users and use that in a flow or trigger it with a button.
    This way it is universal and a great expansion of possibilities. Magaging a lot of firewalls etc. and there grouping is normal and very usefull.

@taco just changed the name in the wizard, thanks!
  • tunftunf Member
    just rebooted homey due to the fact there is no voice at all being recognised for 1 hour now. After reboot it reacts inmidiatly again. Only thin is that it tells me it is turning lights off but the lights stay on.
    Strange!
  • scoczscocz Member
    Cant you make a blog for this type of information?
  • tunftunf Member
    @scocz Was thinking about that but with a blog it is not possible to react like it is happing now and also not to point out all the issues and feature request. Athom already as a lot of places to find what you will need to get started and notify issues. But if people don't like my posts, i will ofcourse stop. Lets hope that Athom wil use some of my information for fixes or for changes in interfacing.

I will quit for now. Like homey who is still telling me he will turn the lights on but only 1 out of 5 times is turning (some of) them on or off.
  • Don't be quite! Please! All information is welcome! 
  • I really read every step you go with homey. So when my homey arrive i know what comes:-)

so please go on with this thread!
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited April 2016
    Thx for sharing and keep on sharing. We all can learn a lot from your postings.
  • tunftunf Member
    Ok, thanks for the support. Although you all want the information, i'm today on a point of frustration with homey due to its bad reaction. I moved it around the house last night to see how it reacts next to the TV, 3 meters away from tv, in the kitchen, on the dinner table and so on.

On all places it has a reach of about 2,5 to 3 meters. If i should really hard it can be up to 5 meter but then my wife also offers to turn the lights on if i stop shouting. ;).

Even next to the tv it seems to react pretty good to ok homey, not the command (0 out of 30).

It seems to react to oke homey pretty good. it need to use a certain tone pitch but thats not an issue. AFter the okey homey it pulses white with my commands so thats great to see only then a very, very long waiting time and then nothing but rainbow led ring. Tryed this with a couple of flows and without any flow at all but still same behavior.

Also again it depands on the time frame how long the action (that almost 99% fails) will take to translate so i think this is a cloud performance issue.

The adapter seems to get very hot while homey is idle. My conflusion is that home is very high in load as on my raspberry pi. If that is idle the adapter is cold and if that is on high cpu it is hot. I could be off with my conclusion but that was one thing i noticed.
    To be in reaction of end users, there is some plastic wrapping around the power adapter and nowhere in documentation or manual it asks me to remove it. As it is transparent i can imagin that a lot of people don't remove it.
    So please at that as a label on the wrapping or as an instruction on the piece of paper i mentioned i previous posts.

I created a flow where is ask homey how my children are called and that reaction is 4 out of 5 working. The build in actions seems to be the real issue and i create flows with about the same names i think (lamp, lampen) because i don't know what the build in options are (as mentioned before) i cannot work around this. Also the build in is a lot of times a bit english.

The news app is reacting 4 out of 5 but then starts talking strange. Where is it getting his news and why can't i setup which country and language the news is in. I think it reads english in dutch or so. Perhaps it is an idea to create or change it to an RSS feed reader so we all can add one or more rss feeds to read out load and use that in a flow.

The z-wave devices that i added went oke but that's it. no logging on insight. I need to find out how to setup and see this. I really was expecting to see the pressed test button and battery status, in reach etc. etc. without doing anything.

Changed a couple of group names but i'm not sure yet if homey understands that new group names now or of it is still using its old names anyone that can shine a light on that? perhaps that is why the reaction is that bad.

Being on the forum give me the info to look at the page what homey heard. I think that this schould be a button in the my.athom.com page .

Went to our local store for apliances to get some AAAA battery for my z-wave remote switch and them i was shocked about the knowledge of al employees there the didn't know anything about smart home, so if homey comes to MM i really advice to give some times a year training to the staff so expectations to customers is being managed and that there will not be a lot of returns that are not needed.

I will go to give a fire demontration today so don't expect any update untill perhaps tonight or later this week.
  • tunftunf Member
    Just one quick thing that i forgot;
    In the settings menu i choosed Dutch as language. A lot of info there is still on Englisch. Not only the apps but the whole Z-wave section, system section and parts of the led ring.
  • Concerning the power adapter, a user here measured the power consumption. 
    With led ring on, it's at 7W.
    With the ring off, it was only 3 or 4.

So I don't think Homey is really straining the adapter. 
  •  
    Fire69 said:
    Concerning the power adapter, a user here measured the power consumption. 
    With led ring on, it's at 7W.
    With the ring off, it was only 3 or 4.

So I don't think Homey is really straining the adapter. 
    Mine is running at 2,5 watt idle and going to 4 watt while executing ical to voice so it's even less. I don't use Z-wave so perhaps that's the difference...
  • It is great to read your experience tunf. I have number of similar problems. But the speech it the biggest one. 
  • tunftunf Member
    MarcelTimmermans thanks for your wikipedia explenation. It is here not reacting on gras but on a lots of others. Speech using ok homey, wikipedia one word seems quite stable, even from 9 meters away (silent and no tv or whatsoever turned on) ,today i had some hits.
    This brings me to a simple tip to athom; the ring is white when it hears a command, why not led it be more bright on the side where the noice/ command is comming from, this can help to so where homey is listning to.

The speech output is stuttering and misses some letters.
    Lightning is not reacting/ working anymore so i think a reboot is needed again.
This discussion has been closed.