This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Suggestion: Control speech output volume

Homey's voice is loud! I'm testing the Plex app, which can (and often will) ask questions. I would be nice to be able to control the volume, maybe even on time of day (i.e. it will speak more softly after 21:00)

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Also on the list :-) There's an API call already, I just need to create the UI for it.
    POST /api/manager/speaker/ { volume: 0.5 }

• Emile said:
    Also on the list :-) There's an API call already, I just need to create the UI for it.

A cool. Will that value stick (i.e. survive a reboot etc)? I think I might make a small app that allows you to either 'hush' Homey (Okay homey - quiet down!) or speak up (Okay Homey - speak up!)
    Yep, it's reboot-friendly.

And I'm gonna add a flow card to control the volume, so please don't bother :-)
  • ... that is of course, if the speaker API is an accessable permission?
  • Emile said:
    Yep, it's reboot-friendly.

And I'm gonna add a flow card to control the volume, so please don't bother :-)
    Check :-)
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    Maybe Homey can analyze the background noise in the room and adjust it's volume dynamically? i.e. Talk softer when you are alone and the home is quiet and talk louder when the TV is making noise.
  • And also measure the volume of your voice? If you're home alone, but you're not close to Homey, it should not be talking in a lower volume  :)
  • Both good suggestions!
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Emile said:

@Emile, could you maybe explain how to use this? I tried in a Chrome console, but couldn't get it to work.
    If I could lower the volume to 50%, that would expand my available testing time past my kids' bedtime  ;)
  • @Fire69; You could use something like postman to do your POST requests.

According to the API documentation (REST link) every requests needs at least the following headers:

Content-Type: application/json
    Authorization: Bearer youruniquetoken

I have found no easy way to get your unique bearer token, but here is at least where you can find it: Go to my.athom.com right click the homey icon and copy it's link address. The token is a GET parameter.

@emile:
    When trying a GET command on /api/manager/speaker/ I get the following result:
    {
      "status": 200,
      "result": {
        "active": "homey",
        "volume": 1
      }
    }

When trying a POST command on /api/manager/speaker/ with an additional header of "volume: 0.5" I get the result:
    {
      "status": 404,
      "message": "not_found"
    }

Am I doing something wrong?
  • +1 for volume control in settings, _and_ I would like to be able to disable the "cannot connect server" message and ANY talking that could occur, even (though that might cause support) the 10..9..8...factory reset talking. I cannot play with Homey during the night (will wake up my gf, so WAF factor gets worse), and during the day I annoy people (and my cats) with all the noise when playing with Homey. Maybe nice suggestion: a setting for "shut-up hours", to disable during the night.  Now sometimes Homey is talking LOUDLY to itself SCREAMING in the house to get some attention, when we are watching tv on the other side of the room. Quite annoying at night. :-)
    Volume control is already added in 0.8.18 which will ship next :)
  • MartijnMartijn Member
    edited February 2016
    when will 0.8.18 be shipped/released?
    When it's tested and ready to ship. Expect about 1 update a week.
  • I guess those times with two updates a day are over? I can understand though, with over 400 Homeys out there the change of breaking something is much higher.
  • Emile said:
    Volume control is already added in 0.8.18 which will ship next :)
    Hi @Emile is there also a possibility to dim the Ledring brightness?
  • Found a way to lower her speaker volume:
    Use Chrome (Yeah...)
    Install "Advanced Rest Client" extension from the Chome Webstore ( via http://chromerestclient.appspot.com/ )
    Get your bearer_token from the login page URL (where you select your Homey after the logon  (http://10.1.2.3/?bearer_token=2002c000Deaf001000bad1000effe000hace0002 of cookie ;-) ))

Open the extension and create a PUT (no POST ! !!)
    to > 
    http://10.1.2.3/api/manager/speaker/
    Header:  
    Authorization: Bearer 2002c000Deaf001000bad1000effe000hace0002
    Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8
    Payload:  
    { "volume" : 0.3 } 

Press Send
    Result: 
    {
    "status": 200
    - "result":  {
     "volume": 0.3
     }
    }

Let your girlfriend end kids sleep!!
    Happy Hacking this night ;-)  
  • Doesn't work here.  After pressing Send, I get no result back.
    Did I do it wrong?

• edited February 2016
    You can also look at https://www.soapui.org for complete SOAP/REST api testing.
    Perhaps athom has a WADL that can be used.
  • Fire69 said:
    Doesn't work here.  After pressing Send, I get no result back.
    Did I do it wrong?

yes, you did it wrong ;-) 
    (With spaces and a semicolumn .... not { "volume"=0.3 } )
  • Fire69 said:
    Doesn't work here.  After pressing Send, I get no result back.
    Did I do it wrong?

yes, you did it wrong ;-) 
    (With spaces and a semicolumn .... not { "volume"=0.3 } )
    Ah, that was caused by me accidentally pressing 'encode payload'.  The 'decode payload' changes it apparently.
    But still, even with { "volume" : 0.3 }  it's not working  :( 
  • Strange, ik works for me. 
    Even in an incognito browser (to check te requirements for cookies. )
    Volume settings survives after a reboot. 
    Homey 0.8.17 / Windows 10 / Chrome Version 48.0.2564.109 m (64-bit)

• Identical config as you (Win10, latest Chrome)
    I don't get a response back apparently...

• @GeurtDijker , confirm working with my Homey.... thanx, I can stay up for some additonal time, playing around with Homey  B)
  • Fire69 said:
    Identical config as you (Win10, latest Chrome)
    I don't get a response back apparently...

Did you already restart your Homey ? 
    And did you log in to Homey in the browser?
    (although it works for me using an incognito window without loging on to my.athom or homey  )
  • Yep, restarted and logged in. 
    I'll give it another try tomorrow :) 
  • I didn't log in to Homey, just putted a PUT request by the Postman extension in Chrome.
    Here is my result, it worked perfectly for me.

• Works here as well. Will play a bit more with it.. Thx for the explanation. :)
This discussion has been closed.