This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• Only Kickstarter Geeks.
  • MarcoF said:
    men, men, men..... have you guys lived under a 1ton rock for the last 2 years?! :disappointed: 

This question is asked so many times (and answered all the time....) 

Please read this post very(!) carefully!
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/555/shipment-software-status
    Back to your old habbits?  You forgot to put a little  <3 in your post  :#
  • Was in Mediamarkt today and they have an add running with a sign: soon available here. Really got me excited.
  • Fire69 said:
    MarcoF said:
    men, men, men..... have you guys lived under a 1ton rock for the last 2 years?! :disappointed: 

Back to your old habbits?  You forgot to put a little  <3 in your post  :#
    Whoops....

As said yesterday;
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/7545/#Comment_7545

:heart: 
  • Vincent said:
    Was in Mediamarkt today and they have an add running with a sign: soon available here. Really got me excited.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
  • MarcoF said:

It seems like Mulder got to close.. The thing that took over @MarcoF gone ore gone in some kind of dormant state..
    Push on! The truth is out there! 
  • kriebelkouskriebelkous Member
    edited January 2016
    Nienix said:
    Vincent said:
    Was in Mediamarkt today and they have an add running with a sign: soon available here. Really got me excited.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    They will be selling these in a big red-painted consumer-electronics store. But to already have an advertisement would suggest it is hitting the stores right after we received our homeys. 
    That would be a very bold move. Way to risky IMO. The average consumer will not wait for a software fix or soon to be added features (unless you make apple stuff). https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/6  is a good example, the average user won't wait. And the average guy taking in the costumers return wont test even though their software tells them to. They will just return and complain. Absolutely flooding the Homey HQ with questions and costing allot of money in personele and SLA's. Unless it flops..
    Either way its either a very very bold move or very bad news. 
    I love bold moves but @Emile my advice (for what its worth) is to make sure most issues on https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues  are resolved and you know your DOA and defect % from all our feedback before making the next step. Wait a few months, take a nice vacation first and let the team charge up those battery's. Going full retail is a whole other ballgame.. And like in all ball games. There is no point in starting a new game tired.  

I am hoping this was a "homemade"  advertisement from a ambitious employee. 
  • Vincent said:
    @Nienix Daar was ik op voorbereid. ;)
    An ambitious employee.
    To bad he messed up the font when resizing the MM logo.  
  • Sja, en helaas hebben de kleinere domotica webshops pech, ondanks eerdere toezeggingen. Athom mikt op de grote jongens. Ik hoop maar (en dit zeg ik als klant en backer) dat ze dit waar kunnen gaan maken op deze schaal...
  • I really hope 'mediamarkt' is not a serious player in this.... :s 
    Homey should first be completely be bug-free (by geeks and domotica users)
    Before beeing put into (big) retail...
    We (backers/geeks) can handle bugs, and tell our wifes (girlfriends) it will get better... :#
    But someone who buys at 'mediamarkt' want to have a complete 100% out of the box experience. (like iphone)

I really think Homey has much potential... a retail is needed to make it profitable... but 'bezint eer ge begint' (a dutch saying)
  • PimBliek said:
    Sja, en helaas hebben de kleinere domotica webshops pech, ondanks eerdere toezeggingen. Athom mikt op de grote jongens. Ik hoop maar (en dit zeg ik als klant en backer) dat ze dit waar kunnen gaan maken op deze schaal...
    There is nothing wrong with going full retail. Even if this means you make it exclusive to one store (for a period of time). 
    But timing is crucial. Most guys that did the preorder know something about domotica and will be far more forgiving if a feature doesnt work (yet) or if a feature is unstable. A led ring that stays red for some time after setup is not a big deal for most here on the forum. But we are not the average consumer when measured against this specific product. 
  • PimBliek said:
    Sja, en helaas hebben de kleinere domotica webshops pech, ondanks eerdere toezeggingen. Athom mikt op de grote jongens. Ik hoop maar (en dit zeg ik als klant en backer) dat ze dit waar kunnen gaan maken op deze schaal...
    There is nothing wrong with going full retail. Even if this means you make it exclusive to one store (for a period of time). 
    But timing is crucial. Most guys that did the preorder know something about domotica and will be far more forgiving if a feature doesnt work (yet) or if a feature is unstable. A led ring that stays red for some time after setup is not a big deal for most here on the forum. But we are not the average consumer when measured against this specific product. 

Rule number one: Never go full retail! :-)
  • I agree, certainly in case of a startup. Salespeople see big numbers (bonusses as well), but this product is not yet there. Apart from the status of the current product for which you will not be able to give support for bigger numbers, big chains like MM have conditions that you will not survive. Only the amount of returns that you will get and can only be scrapped and not refurbished. Maybe if the product is a bit more mature. But not in the near future. My old mans' 2 cents.
  • Well, 'The chimny has to smoke' as Louis would put it. There has to be some profit to pay ongoing cost for the people working at Athom.
    Sorry @pimbliek but I don't think small domotica webshops can generate enough revenue for Athom. Also, don't forget that keeping the servers runnng that do their thing for customers that allready payed need to be payed for by new sales.
  • Guys common where is the :heart:  ???

Going retail after shipping pre-order can mean the end of Athom....

11 homey's where shipped (these backers opened ~25 issues(2,5 for each homey) of the 35 on Github and 11 are stil open. Some issues are more then 2 weeks unsolved.

The software isn't finished (it will never be, I hope)) so a lot of code for (core)features,apps,etc will be added the next couple of weeks. New code means new bugs and I can't believe the current software is bug free.

But we will see :smile: 

With :heart: 

• Djeezzz, a lot of guys speculating the sh!t out of this topic again... I believe the guys at Athom are far from stupid, and will take each step with due consideration.

Time will surely tell...
  • I love forums :heart: 

• @cjvs: But they are unexperienced youngsters, so to say. (And creative entrepeneurs, I do not mean it as negative.) The complete estimate of development schedule, the type of issues and the time to recover, the communication... Sure they have learned a lot in the past two years (I trust). The chimney has to smoke, but MM like chains will not supply enough wood to let it smoke and at this stage, it will only smoke for a short time. Ultra low margin, unfair return policy, stock protection... more cost is OK for very high numbers, but that will be possible with homey V3 of V4. 
  • cjvs said:
    Djeezzz, a lot of guys speculating the sh!t out of this topic again... I believe the guys at Athom are far from stupid, and will take each step with due consideration.

Time will surely tell...
    Did you see the photograph? No sensible retailer would devote instore advertisement to something that wont make revenue. It would be a waste of space, money and simply a bad strategy to use indoor advertisement (on an monitor and a A4 card) if homey would be months away. 
  • kriebelkouskriebelkous Member
    edited January 2016

rscheers said:
    PimBliek said:

Rule number one: Never go full retail! :-)

• GerjanGerjan Member
    edited January 2016
    Emile said:
    We're still steadily producing. I thínk we can ship the Geek Backers next week Waiting for a better estimate though.

Just curius, you ship all at onche? not what today is ready, send it by the end of the day? maybee handy for a smooth start. o:)
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    I agree with most of the previous comments. 

However consider some few things:
    • Do you know who invested 800K euro in Athom? Do they have a close connection with this retailer or maybe it was the decision of the investors?
    • In our early twenties most of us feels that we can conquer the world. Why would they be an exemption?
    • Is it the whole MM chain or only one store? The last one is typical when they launch a new and small brand.

But yeah the timing is wrong especially since they seriously missed every timeline target. They can`t have this stand there for months. Where are the guys with the new website with all the info what average customer will need and all the educative videos. Those won`t just happen overnight. Not to mention the APIs for the developers (what would enable more apps), proper tablet mode, the iOS app. Indeed the timing. That is a thing what these brilliant guys are really bad at. But anyway it is their problem, they will learn from it. Wish the best for them.
  • Homey sold by Mediamarkt?  with 13 deliverd units and a product that still dosnt work ....sure dream on.
    maybe in a few years

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Athom announced 26-9-2015 on HCC that the made a deal with a big red company.

HOMEY: ontwikkelingen voor de digitale woning

https://youtu.be/8kyl0j9vh7M?t=43m20s

Emile also said: Next week we sent the first homey's to our kickstarter people :love: 

Bring it on!!! 

O wait, that was 4 month ago..... :naughty: 

• Just to be clear: I posted the pictures of the Mediamarkt add because I'm happy for them and excited for Homey. Not to b*tch about it. I don't know if it's a mistake or not, but it won't affect me much. By then I will have my own Homey to play with. :heart: 
  •  To quote a wise man: 'I love forums heart ' :D
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    @DaneeDeKruyff;
    Big LOL :heart:  :kissing_heart: 

Vincent said:
    Just to be clear: I posted the pictures of the Mediamarkt add because I'm happy for them and excited for Homey. Not to b*tch about it. I don't know if it's a mistake or not, but it won't affect me much. By then I will have my own Homey to play with. :heart: 

That the question; Will and how does this effect Athom and our homey's?!
    There's a very big chance, that after a Retail release the Athom Helpdesk/Callcenter/Forum/github(not MM user friendly) will be flooded with questions and issues.

For example check this forum and count the questions and Homey isn't released yet.
    The questions will come.
    GitHub bugfixing is disappointingly slow.
    The 11 shipped Homeys only found ~20 "unique" bugs (can mean 2 things; Outstanding programming or the didn't test that much)
    Whats going to happen when a few hundred non techies get homey?!

• I assume (but this is speculation) that the investor(s) want to cash in. They are there to make a profit. Profit means huge numbers. Hence the choice for MM. I think it is not a wise strategy and it is very risky.

Also, every small domotica shop brings in revenue. If you make sure your ordering process (drop shipping) is setup properly this really shouldn't matter at all. It does however require that you do have a system for these sales in place that can handle multiple customers (the web shops). I guess Athom doesn't have this yet and instead chose to go for 1-3 partners.

IMHO it would've been better to focus on the early adopters first, so also sell via the smaller shops. You'll reach geeks, tweakers etc. They will help you refine the product so you can go "full retail" later on.

Just my 2 cents. We will see how the future plays out for Athom. I do wish them all the luck!

This discussion has been closed.