This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Official Zigbee SDK2

[App] Xiaomi-mi ZigBee - Main discussion topic (v0.4.1)

Comments

• Is this 20 limit zigbee devices still a thing?

i am thinking of getting some zigbee devices but want to be prepared. I have 60+ HUE lights but they are attached to my Philips bridge and not directly to Homey. Does this still function as a router and extend the amount of devices?

Thanks a bunch!

• djeskodjesko Member
    im on 25 units 
  • 20 limit per powered source I believe, not overall, but that said all mine seem to connect direct to Homey and half don't work half the time... :(
  • djeskodjesko Member
    i have 6 power units  ,  ikea lights 

all new items thats added will route after some time.  does here 
  • Hannes85Hannes85 Member
    edited June 2018
    vaderag said:
    20 limit per powered source I believe, not overall, but that said all mine seem to connect direct to Homey and half don't work half the time... :(

Is this for everyone? Until now I am happy with how stable homey is... that said I only have some RTS devices directly you hooked up so far. The rest is through different bridges/hubs (Hue bridge and harmony hub).. I want to start adding (Xiaomi) body sensors and door sensors to act as an alarm so it has to be reliable.

probably don’t want to add any powered source as a start. Zigbee should have enough reach for a complete house I’d say, right?

• JooleeJoolee Member
    I'm on only 13 Zigbee devices but it's rock stable, never have any problem.
  • Hannes85Hannes85 Member
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Joolee! This gives me confidence. Are they all battery powered? If so, how is the range?
  • AaronAaron Member
    I have 3 power sockets and some battery devices. The powered ones are giving me troubles all the time. The one next to Homey is working all the time and it is fast. The one in my bedroom (one floor up) only worked the first day and after that it did not work a single time anymore. And I have one in the garden (shed) that one is sometimes working sometimes not. Yesterday I had to turn it of manually and this morning it was on again (this is the first time it has done that). 
    So sadly not reliable at al here. But as you can see some have better experiences. 
  • vaderagvaderag Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm in Aaron's camp, which is really disappointing. I only have one powered device and Homey but a.lot of PIR and Contact sensors, but truth is I just don't trust them. The PIRs sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's very unreliable for me :(
  • I am hoping to see the router/mesh capability improved. Athom is working on an update, I believe. No ETA,.

I started with a bunch of door sensors and all but one worked great. The one that did not work well, was the one placed in the attic. The others are all on ground level (where Homey lives) and the first floor. So, I think it is a distance issue.

To increase the mesh, I bought 3 mains powered curtain controllers. These work fine, but unfortunately do not add to the zigbee mesh as routers. As a result, the wireless buttons and switches I recently added, do not work 100% 
  • Eternity said:
    I am hoping to see the router/mesh capability improved. Athom is working on an update, I believe. No ETA,.

I started with a bunch of door sensors and all but one worked great. The one that did not work well, was the one placed in the attic. The others are all on ground level (where Homey lives) and the first floor. So, I think it is a distance issue.

To increase the mesh, I bought 3 mains powered curtain controllers. These work fine, but unfortunately do not add to the zigbee mesh as routers. As a result, the wireless buttons and switches I recently added, do not work 100% 
    My sensors not working are only 4-5m away from homey... There is a innr bulb further away that works fine but does not seem to route
  • All known problems (also be seen on the GH issues that are on GH for almost a year) which are also known by Athom that's why they have said that more then 20 devices can give problems and that zigbee just like 433/z-wave needs a rewrite but because it has the label :soon: it can take a while .... more here -> https://blog.athom.com/behind-magic-march-2018/

Zigbee

Zigbee is known to delay or not send commands to some devices in larger Zigbee networks  (more than 20 devices). Initially we started with Zigbee using an open source implementation, however the project itself isn’t actively maintained anymore and the source code of the project isn’t up to par with our standards. We will therefore start working on our own implementation after the Microcontroller changes discussed above.

This gives us more control over the entire protocol, and will make it much easier to eventually support additional protocols such as TouchLink (used by Philips Hue, for example) and generally upgrade the Zigbee experience.

• I have <20 devices tho - that doesn't seem to address why I have issues sadly. I have more waiting to be paired but because of the issues I haven't bothered

They're all Xiaomi (bar my innr bulb) so quite tempted to pick up a Xiaomi hub to use instead of homey at the moment...
  • erikmmerikmm Member
    11 units and rockstable...
  • vaderag said:
    Eternity said:
    I am hoping to see the router/mesh capability improved. Athom is working on an update, I believe. No ETA,.

My sensors not working are only 4-5m away from homey... There is a innr bulb further away that works fine but does not seem to route
    Further away won’t help for building the mesh. The sensors wil connect directly to Homey. If you have the INNR bulb between the sensors and Homey then it could route. Btw have 48 Zigbee devices in my mesh network and stil Some times  a bulb won’t switch.
  • here same results. Have several door sensors and they miss a lot of activity (closing and opening the door). distance is 3m so should not be the problem. At the moment Hue with his own bridge works very well automating my lights with Homey is working properly, but incorporate the zigbee devices in my flows does not make me feel comfortable at the moment.

• Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

i will start with 2 Xiaomi door sensors and 2 body sensors to see if this is something that I can use in “production” later on. For now I will keep my current alarm system.

one thing still; if I would add the sensors to a Xiaomi hub to make it more stable, is there a way to incorpoate the hub into homey flows?
  • djeskodjesko Member
    hub can't be used.  
  • Hannes85 said:
    Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

i will start with 2 Xiaomi door sensors and 2 body sensors to see if this is something that I can use in “production” later on. For now I will keep my current alarm system.

one thing still; if I would add the sensors to a Xiaomi hub to make it more stable, is there a way to incorpoate the hub into homey flows?
    If only. I was in fact just asking this over on the other thread as, given the issues I've been having, I'd love to be able to connect my devices to the Xiaomi hub and then have the HUB send info to homey to react...
  • djeskodjesko Member
    edited June 2018
    this is from my view  .. zigbee here is stable and can be used in my garden without any problems for 16 days + now.   when i did have this kind off range /slow response in my zwave network is was a bad device after i removed that all good.    house is 170 square meters and zigbee xiaomi door sensors on almost all window and ikea lights in some rooms,  temp sensors in basement and outside.   before fw 0.11 this was not the case. 

edit 

two floors and homey is in the center of the house on floor one. 
  • djesko said:
    this is from my view  .. zigbee here is stable and can be used in my garden without any problems for 16 days + now.   when i did have this kind off range /slow response in my zwave network is was a bad device after i removed that all good.    house is 170 square meters and zigbee xiaomi door sensors on almost all window and ikea lights in some rooms,  temp sensors in basement and outside.   before fw 0.11 this was not the case. 

edit 

two floors and homey is in the center of the house on floor one. 
    How did you determine you had a bad device?
  • djeskodjesko Member
    it was easier on zwave  look on noack in development tools.   in zigbee its harder but if no mesh something must be wrong.   no 100 sure about that   haven't hade any zigbee problems.  i just add the device where i need it and it works and mesh. 
  • Alright. Got a couple of hue lights added (moved them from one of my hue bridges to homey directly to play around and have additional routing). Impressed so far with range and stability (only been a day though) except for the motion sensor not sometimes not turning on my light. Plus if the lights go out after X minutes and you are still in the room it doesn’t really pick up movement to extend the timer. that’s the only thing that the HUE bridge did better. 
  • erikmmerikmm Member
    Hannes85 said:
    Alright. Got a couple of hue lights added (moved them from one of my hue bridges to homey directly to play around and have additional routing). Impressed so far with range and stability (only been a day though) except for the motion sensor not sometimes not turning on my light. Plus if the lights go out after X minutes and you are still in the room it doesn’t really pick up movement to extend the timer. that’s the only thing that the HUE bridge did better. 
    Use count down app to control the motion sensor, works like a charm, by me motion sensor reacts also if motion are still in the room
  • Not familiar with that one yet. Can you perhaps share an example flow?

cheers!
  • erikmmerikmm Member
    edited June 2018
    Hannes85 said:
    Not familiar with that one yet. Can you perhaps share an example flow?

cheers!
    Most of The text is in danish, but hopefully you get the direction

motion turns on light after sunset, count down set to 120 sec to turn of light (flow turns of light), but with motion enabled count down start from new until no more motion

• Perfect! Got it working now. Ps; I don’t believe you need the “turn on” function as setting the brightness already does that. In my flow I also added the “turn off” with a delay of X minutes to keep the unneeded extra flows to a minimum :).

thanks!
  • MaanMaan Member
    I've already post this in the wrong xiaomi topic, I'll hope this is the right topic.

I've a curious problem with the xiaomi human body sensors. They stop working, as at seems, at random. I've got four of them, two seems fine, but the other are problematic. 
    Restarting Homey will sometimes solving it for a while, sometimes not.  PTP does the same. 
    When I do nothing they start working after ours or days by themselves. 
    After unlink and re-link them, they are working again. Until they stop.
    Homey doesn't give a broken link icon. Its like there freezing or so.
    Once in a while it happens to de xiaomi wireless switches as well ,  but for a short period of time, like a few minutes. 
    The xiaomi door sensors are always working well.
    I've 17 zigbee devices 3 of them are routers, but they don't make a mesh. 
    Someone who now what is causing this and how can I solve this? 
  • Maan said:
    I've already post this in the wrong xiaomi topic, I'll hope this is the right topic.

I've a curious problem with the xiaomi human body sensors. They stop working, as at seems, at random. I've got four of them, two seems fine, but the other are problematic. 
    Restarting Homey will sometimes solving it for a while, sometimes not.  PTP does the same. 
    When I do nothing they start working after ours or days by themselves. 
    After unlink and re-link them, they are working again. Until they stop.
    Homey doesn't give a broken link icon. Its like there freezing or so.
    Once in a while it happens to de xiaomi wireless switches as well ,  but for a short period of time, like a few minutes. 
    The xiaomi door sensors are always working well.
    I've 17 zigbee devices 3 of them are routers, but they don't make a mesh. 
    Someone who now what is causing this and how can I solve this? 
    Known issue at the moment, @TedTolboom already spoke with Athom about it and did give it a try to find a solution. Possible this will be fixed after the zigbee rewrite that is announced by Athom. But for now i guess you can report at the github of Athom and comment here your findings -> https://github.com/TedTolboom/com.xiaomi-mi-zigbee/issues/51
  • PetervdKPetervdK Member
    edited July 2018
    In the mean time i ordered a Xiaomi Wireless Switch in the hope that that would add correctly.
    Alas, same as the temp/hum sensors. It takes a while to walk through the interview and in the end it is added as an unknown Zigbee device.
    I made a ticket with Athom, who points me to the developer of the program...

Just to be sure: is installing the Xiaomi Zigbee app enough to (should) get it working? Or should i do something with the mentioned Homey Config Composer? I'm beginning to doubt myself....:(
This discussion has been closed.