This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

New Heating Scheduler (Bounty)

Hello Community,

a few months ago there was a great App in the App Store called Heating Schedule. Unfortunately the developer revoked this app from the store and I am afraid, that this app won't work anymore with a future Update.

I love this app, because it is simple and it also could use a virtual thermostat, I could create flows using this app and change the schedules depending e.g. on seasons or what ever.

Well, why writing this about a dead App? Because I am searching for someone recreating a similar app for the community. Something that will last longer than on version number or a few weeks.

An app like this would be worth 50 Euro, for me. So if you are the one with the skills, the time and the motivation....let's try it.

Here is a picture of the latest Version the original App was used:

I hope this kind of post is no error, otherwise please don't shoot me, teach me how do do something like that right.

Best Regards
Andreas

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited April 2018
    What is yours different then what has been discussed in another topic -> https://forum.athom.com/discussion/3503/virtual-smart-thermostat/p1 ? They did found a solution there, does that fit yours or do you still want to let an developer make an app?
  • Seraphim said:
    Hello Community,

a few months ago there was a great App in the App Store called Heating Schedule. Unfortunately the developer revoked this app from the store and I am afraid, that this app won't work anymore with a future Update.

I love this app, because it is simple and it also could use a virtual thermostat, I could create flows using this app and change the schedules depending e.g. on seasons or what ever.

Well, why writing this about a dead App? Because I am searching for someone recreating a similar app for the community. Something that will last longer than on version number or a few weeks.

An app like this would be worth 50 Euro, for me. So if you are the one with the skills, the time and the motivation....let's try it.

Here is a picture of the latest Version the original App was used:

I hope this kind of post is no error, otherwise please don't shoot me, teach me how do do something like that right.

Best Regards
    Andreas

As @lubbertkramer says, this does work. And I am very pleased with the result.
    However you are simply connecting a virtual device with your own flows.

What you are talking about is much more intuitive and central .

If this gains traction, I would also pay towards the bounty 
  • Well, seems to be one possible solution with a very interesting idea what @lubbertkramer suggested, but it is not what I expect.

I search for a central solution, generally doing nothing else than setting the temperature of an existing (virtual) thermostat to a specific value, at a specific time, on a specific day, basically working without a flow (except the ones you need, to start your heating) but with the possibility to manipulate the scheduled temperatures in a zone or a room with a flow....

And keep in mind: a virtual thermostat as it is now could be used with Alexa and HomeyKit....I have doubts, that a thermostat in the suggested solution will work with them if you add a scheduler to each single thermostat.

hope I explained it a bit understandable.
  • k1sk1s Member
    What is yours different then what has been discussed in another topic -> https://forum.athom.com/discussion/3503/virtual-smart-thermostat/p1 ? They did found a solution there, does that fit yours or do you still want to let an developer make an app?
    Hi, like the response here: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/69619/#Comment_69619, to my similar question, this seems to be some cryptic suggestion to learn to become a programmer, whereas I think @Seraphim is hoping someone might create a program. The thread you linked is not for a scheduler, but for a "virtual thermostat" (whatever that means). Second it says it is superceded by some other thread, which as far as I can see is nothing to do with thermostats, let alone heating scheduling. I'm new here but from the indications in your responses to this issue, you give the impression that this homey thing is more of an enthusiast platform, like raspberry or something, for which customers are expected to develop their own functions, rather than a mainstream home automation product. It surprised me that something so basic as heating scheduling is not built-in to homey already. I understand there has been some discussion about building something in future, but no plans as such. Until then I think it's a good idea if someone can develop something to fill this obvious gap. If the links you posted somehow help that developer do the job, then fair enough, but from the tone of your message it seems you are discouraging it as redundant, which I don't think is helpful for the 'lay' person.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited April 2018
    Seraphim said:
    Well, seems to be one possible solution with a very interesting idea what @lubbertkramer suggested, but it is not what I expect.

I search for a central solution, generally doing nothing else than setting the temperature of an existing (virtual) thermostat to a specific value, at a specific time, on a specific day, basically working without a flow (except the ones you need, to start your heating) but with the possibility to manipulate the scheduled temperatures in a zone or a room with a flow....

And keep in mind: a virtual thermostat as it is now could be used with Alexa and HomeyKit....I have doubts, that a thermostat in the suggested solution will work with them if you add a scheduler to each single thermostat.

hope I explained it a bit understandable.

Too bad, i hope someone will jump aboard and make this app with you but maybe it's good to also open a github issue for Athom to take a look and add this to the core of Homey

k1s said:
    Hi, like the response here: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/69619/#Comment_69619, to my similar question, this seems to be some cryptic suggestion to learn to become a programmer, whereas I think @Seraphim is hoping someone might create a program. The thread you linked is not for a scheduler, but for a "virtual thermostat" (whatever that means). Second it says it is superceded by some other thread, which as far as I can see is nothing to do with thermostats, let alone heating scheduling. I'm new here but from the indications in your responses to this issue, you give the impression that this homey thing is more of an enthusiast platform, like raspberry or something, for which customers are expected to develop their own functions, rather than a mainstream home automation product. It surprised me that something so basic as heating scheduling is not built-in to homey already. I understand there has been some discussion about building something in future, but no plans as such. Until then I think it's a good idea if someone can develop something to fill this obvious gap. If the links you posted somehow help that developer do the job, then fair enough, but from the tone of your message it seems you are discouraging it as redundant, which I don't think is helpful for the 'lay' person.
    The reason the topic was linked as above also mentioned by @konradwalsh which had opened that topic for almost the same reason with a bounty was that maybe he could find a solution without the need of a developer there. Don't forget i let this topic open because i also notice the need from users for it but a developer mostly starts making something when he is in the need for it himself. Just like the topic i linked so it was just a helping hand if it c ould be done for him without developing or to use in the meantime someone is making an app for him :) 

Don't forget that a lot of apps have been made by people who didn't programmed before. For example the Tado app has got a lot of expansions made by a community member who didn't developed before in javascript. That's why we always advice to take a look yourself before and give it a try.

Developers are mostly not thrilled to build something for someone else (when they personally don't need it) and publish it because it also will need support in the future because Athom updates the API/SDK or the Homey OS which may brake they app and then, who is to blame? 

I agree it's maybe better to have this as a core feature, but to get this there need to be made a request to Athom at Github so they can take a look at it. 

Edit:
    Don't forget Homey is great but will need an app for everything where Athom is only making apps which are used by a large group of users for example Fibaro, Ikea or Kaku. The brands like Neo or Xiaomi are made by the community. When a "normal" user indeed uses the most standard devices no programming will be needed, but when the users want something or has an exotic device there will be programming needed.