This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Flows FAQ

[Presence] Native iOS HomeKit Presence Detection in Homey

Hey guys, I didn't do an extended search to see if this has already been mentioned, but below I’ve put a couple of flows together which controls the presence of user by making use of the native presence detection within HomeKit. 

By making use of HomeKit, you don’t need to install any special apps on your phone or create MQTT servers etc. 
If you own iOS devices, you probably already have the HomeKit / HomeyKit app installed. The only other app that you will need is the Virtual Devices app. 

• Step 1: add a virtual device as a mode in Homey. 

• Step 2: add the device to HomeKit (or if you’re using HomeyKit it’s probably added by itself)

• Step 3: create the flows:
 - WHEN device is turned on THEN set user presence to home

- WHEN device is turned off THEN set user presence to away

- Add what ever else you need of course, i have some flows which notify me via telegram when and who enters and leaves home, Homey announces who arrives home; activates the alarm if no one is at home anymore, etc. 

• Step 4: setup the automation within the Home app on an iOS device with admin permissions to your home:
 - WHEN user arrives home THEN switch device on

- WHEN user leaves home THEN turn device off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That’s it! Everything shouod be working now!
Tagged:

Comments

• Im curious what others have to say about this.

is there a way to do geo fences like with OwnTracks?
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited April 2018
    Personally, I found this to be more reliable.

The official Homey app worked great on one phone, but basically never on another and I always had to open the app, adjust the geofence, then it would work again for a while.
    OwnTracks I found was more reliable than the Homey app, but often also missed when someone left/entered a Geofence.

The HomeKit way has for me (so far) always worked.
  • quakerix said:
    Im curious what others have to say about this.

is there a way to do geo fences like with OwnTracks?
    Do you mean, have multiple locations? Yes you can. In the "WHEN" you can choose the location. By default your "Home" is selected, but you can change this.

• 2Be2Be Member
    Looks like a great solution for apple users. Thnx for sharing. I now use the info from my Tado smart thermostat and Homey's own presence detection. Might add this one as well to be 100% sure.
  • AaronAaron Member
    edited April 2018
    This is great! Sadly, my ipad 4, which I use as a homekit hub does not have the Homekit settings under settings... That is probably why I am getting the message " Automatisering 'Als ik thuiskom' kan niet worden gewijzigd. " (something like: automation 'when I get home' can not be changed). So I can not make the automation in Homekit  :(

Anyone getting this to?

It might be that the iPad 4 does not support locations....

Greetings,
    Aaron
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited April 2018
    Hmm, I use an Apple TV 4K as my Hub, not sure what the limitations are when using an iPad as a hub... if any. 

Also, are you changing these settings from your iPad or your iPhone? Try using your iPhone rather if you weren't.

Although apparently it shouldn’t be an issue if you have the latest iOS.  Check here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057
  • From the Apple Support site: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207057

Want to check the status of your home hub in the Home app on your iOS device? Open the Home app and tap  in the upper-left corner. Then look under Home Hubs to see if your home hub is connected. If you have multiple home hubs set up, the primary home hub will show as connected. The other home hubs will show Standby as their status and will take over remote access if the main home hub is disconnected.

To create an automation that occurs based on who’s present in your home:
    • You need a HomePod, an Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 11 or later, or an iPad with iOS 11 or later set up as a home hub.
    • Make sure that you and the people you’ve invited to control your home have a device with iOS 11 or later.
    • Check that everyone has Share My Location turned on for the primary device they use to control your home. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, scroll down and tap Share My Location. Under Share My Location, tap From and check that your primary device is selected.
    Maybe check the above points, it should work fine with an iPad.
  • AaronAaron Member
    Hi @Veldkornet
    I maneged to add the automation. But when I am away from home (and my network) I see that in Homekit (on my phone it has no connection with the iPad (hub). I have the latest software on my iPad.
    I will try some of the above steps and see if it helps (did some of them already).
    What I do find is strange that I don't see Homekit in my settings on my iPad (or any other device).

Thanks for your help.
    Aaron
  • seems to work nicely, but am I correct I can only control homekit from one device? gave my girlfriend control and she sees the devices, but cannot setup automations

Patrick
  • You should be able to. After the person is added, go back to the home settings, press on the relevant person and just check the permissions. 

I guess you’re looking for the “Allow editing” permission. 

• Newbie question, but how / where do I setup a "virtual device as a mode" in Homey? (I use desktop app)
  • Matsaki said:
    Newbie question, but how / where do I setup a "virtual device as a mode" in Homey? (I use desktop app)
    With the virtual devices app 

https://apps.athom.com/app/com.arjankranenburg.virtual
  • Matsaki said:
    Newbie question, but how / where do I setup a "virtual device as a mode" in Homey? (I use desktop app)
    With the virtual devices app 

https://apps.athom.com/app/com.arjankranenburg.virtual
    Thanks. So if I will use it for Heimdall and my alarm I will use this setting? Little confused as the alarm uses sensors which is what the alarm is using?