This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New shipment date for Homey?

Comments

• Emile said:
    Thanks 
  • Thank you for updating us @emile. I do agree with you that reading the negative vibe when you and your team is working hard at fixing things isn't very motivating. I hope you and your team understand that we your backers, consumers and fans are getting negative when we don't know what's going on. Keeping us in the loop makes us, well at least me, more positive!
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes Indeed it should of been communicated much earlier. Don`t always need to wait till the frustration reaches high levels. And please don`t miscommunicate: "We produce as fast as we can" (while there is no production).
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Well, simply put, if we could've squashed the bug today we still would've been able to make the deadline :)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    That said, you had to post this update yesterday and you could had prevented what happend today. 

and -1 for the smile at the end of your post :neutral: 

it's not funny.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    I'm probably too optimistic :cry: We need a '3X' department that 3X'es all my estimates, haha.
  • YamahaaYamahaa Member
    edited January 2016
    Thank you. To start up is hard. We trust you, please learn and make a good product for us For now and the future... SMILE
  • We are using the extra time wisely to create a better Out-of-the-box experience for everyone who is to receive their Homey next, of course :-)

I think this is the part where i feel there is a misconception. We are "Geek Backers" who believed in a product that was advertised with terms like "For the geeks, developers, hobbyists" on a platform not known to average consumers. I am not a retail buyer who wants a shiny fancy out of the box experience. I understand this is a must for the product when placed in retail stores, but thats in a different stage for Athom as a company.

Maybe self flashing via usb was enough "out of the box" experience for me. Then i could finally get starting creating those valuable plugins that make this a better/great product. Instead the past 8 months i have now spend on creating my own working domotica setup in NodeJS with plugins(smartmeter, KAKU, HUE, IR,Sonos,Mi-light,Z-wave,IPcamera),notifications (pushover), flows (node-red), graphs&log(influxdb) & a webapp! All working to my and the girlfriends expectations.I still need to see if i have desires of converting everything to Homey and creating plugin when i have my Homey.........

In conclusion: I personally think Athom made a judgement error on creating a fullon retail product and not a working product that could be released and maintained/upgraded to a eventual retail product.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
  • BramSloot said:
    In conclusion: I personally think Athom made a judgement error on creating a fullon retail product and not a working product that could be released and maintained/upgraded to a eventual retail product.
    What they have released now is a working product and what they are doing now is upgrading it. If you've read the forum it's nowhere near retail. So you will get a product with bugs and everything. The only problem is that they keep moving the delivery date. And although I really want to believe the date every time the give one, I'm trying to be realistic. How often do kickstarters go past their due date? It's just because we all know Athom is close to delivery, it makes it a bit harder (laatste loodjes.....).

And the reason for the delay is not to improve the product, it's to fix a bug in the delivery line.
  • The part I do not understand is why can't they ship the Homey's that have been assembled already? I assume that the one's that should be delivered this friday are not produced at the same time? Personally I would rather not have a few hundred geeks using my server at the same time. 
  • The part I do not understand is why can't they ship the Homey's that have been assembled already? I assume that the one's that should be delivered this friday are not produced at the same time? Personally I would rather not have a few hundred geeks using my server at the same time. 
    I'm not sure, but reading the forum I think it's because sending out 200 Homey's will result in the other 200 Geekbackers whining because they didn't get one.

But I agree, sending them out in smaller batches would be the smart thing to do. It will give them new feedback without swamping them.
  • The part I do not understand is why can't they ship the Homey's that have been assembled already?
    Because there are no fully assembled and flashed Homeys. They don`t want to pay for the labour until the flashing process is bug free = fast and issue free. Because it would take more time and effort to make homeys meaning increased cost. That is a sensitive point for a small company.
    You might say that you are willing to pay more but it does not work like that. It is already priced at price of an Xbox so that is not a long term solution and they don`t want to have extra administrations. They want to fix this issue now and forever.
  • What they have released now is a working product and what they are doing now is upgrading it. If you've read the forum it's nowhere near retail. So you will get a product with bugs and everything
    1. Nothing is released in my opinion.
    2. I expected bugs 12 months ago, not now in a "out of the box" experience product.
    3. Also i expected tons of plugins,drivers,apps. But dropping the virtual homey & devkit & lack of up to date documentation made this impossible.
    4. That they have another bug now is part of the whole problem. The problem of making it too fancy, if you can just always flash with USB there wouldn't be a problem. Now they have a recovery mode etc. etc. 

Let's hope its the last bug before shipping and they end up with a very good product......
  • Come on, give the guys from Athom a break!
    They are working their ass off day and night. They are even working while the rest of the land is on holiday and during bankdays.

At the end, beware that you ordered a kickstarter product and that it very hard to develop a product like this. Yes it is frustrating, I also wanted my Homey a year ago, I also can't wait to get my hands on one but you must have trust in those guys that they know what they are doing. And just complaining about "It takes to long", or "I don't want a nice experience". Then send Stefan a personal mail that you want your money back and please don't bother the rest of the forum with it!

Note: not ment personal to anyone in particular.
  • +1 en one more

I also backed Neeo... Believe me, if you compare both kickstarter projects Athom is doing an awesome job. They have some products delivered. They communicate. And works their asses off. 
  • +1 en one more

I also backed Neeo... Believe me, if you compare both kickstarter projects Athom is doing an awesome job. They have some products delivered. They communicate. And works their asses off. 
    +1
  • Omg, indeed give the guys a break!
    Going into readonly mode...don't dare to ask any question anymore...before you know it, this topic explodes
  • Guy's, @Emile is talking about a bug that makes full speed manufacturing impossible!

This can be a whole lot of stuff! But backing a project on kickstarter is helping a company start their business besides getting someting in return. Athom would be foolish to continue inefficient manufacuring and burning money just to please their backers!

Smart production and saving money will be more sustainable and at the end we will all profit!
    What's a month delay when this means more bug's to be fixed in the future!

Good job guys, keep up the good work. Looking forward to my homey AND future updates!
  • *sending positive vibes to Athom and this forum*

a patience customer.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited January 2016
    will the flow be with you  :)
    +100 for positives vibes to the Athom-team
  • There is a lot of complaining here. Makes it kinda irritating to follow the forum.

Why not just stay patience, and be happy that they are solving the bugs before you get it? In my opinion, it is better to wait a couple of weeks longer and have an awesome, steady product, instead of getting it earlier and having to redo every setting you make because bugs make your Homey crash and forget settings, for example.

If you expect a finished, polished product, you shouldn't back anyone at Kickstarter. As a reminder, Kickstarter is not a webshop... it is a website where you can 'support' startups to create awesome products and services. 
    Since you all supported Athom way back, why do you stop supporting and start complaining now that the product is *almost* ready? All because of some unexpected setbacks?
    If Athom would have known, don't you think they would have said the delivery date further in the future?
  • Thanks @emile for the update, keeping Athom healthy is more important than getting Homey out a few days or weeks earlier. Still looks like you're doing a pretty good job for a startup!
  • jorden said:
    There is a lot of complaining here. Makes it kinda irritating to follow the forum.

Why not just stay patience, and be happy that they are solving the bugs before you get it? In my opinion, it is better to wait a couple of weeks longer and have an awesome, steady product, instead of getting it earlier and having to redo every setting you make because bugs make your Homey crash and forget settings, for example.

If you expect a finished, polished product, you shouldn't back anyone at Kickstarter. As a reminder, Kickstarter is not a webshop... it is a website where you can 'support' startups to create awesome products and services. 
    Since you all supported Athom way back, why do you stop supporting and start complaining now that the product is *almost* ready? All because of some unexpected setbacks?
    If Athom would have known, don't you think they would have said the delivery date further in the future?
    What's irritating to me is everybody saying that they can do just whatever they want because it's a kickstarter product! (And those +1 comments in every topic)

Also i never said i stopped supporting them, just a doubt about the priorities of the company and that they are maybe wrong. But i guess because its a "startup" they are better then any other company and you cannot give your opinion.
  • And approximately 1000 homey's are order, through the Athom "webshop", after the kickstarter campaign.
  • Pfff......wilp unsubscribe to this topic....to much irrelevant information...
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited January 2016
    Homey's software is never finished.

Ok, there's an software bug in the production line, but probably there're a couple of hundred homey's ready for shipping.

Negative:
    2 production weeks, 5 hours a day, 5 homey's an hour = 10*5*5 = 250 homeys ready for shipping

Positive:
    3 production weeks, 7 hours a day, 10 homey's an hour = 15*7*10 = 1050 homeys ready for shipping

So why not shipping? (i'm "almost(or definitly) last" in line  :naughty:  )
  • Production is stopped because of the bug. So I don't think they'll have those numbers. Slow production costs more than fast production so its on hold
This discussion has been closed.