This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Alexa

Alexa Skill

BramBram Member
edited April 2018 in Archive
This discussion was created from comments split from: [Skill] Alexa Homey skill.
Tagged:

Comments

• Good news!

I the last 3 weeks i've been working on a Homey Skill that uses Alexa native speech to control devices on Homey. It is implemented using Alexa smart home API and Athoms web API. Currently only onoff and dim capability are supported but other  capabilities can be added very easily in the near future. 

** BE AWARE ** The skill adapter is currently running on a US AWS server which explains the the latency and delays. I'm planning on moving it to a UK server as soon as possible. 

Demo:

Will keep you guys posted
  • Reinier said:
    Good news!

I the last 3 weeks i've been working on a Homey Skill that uses Alexa native speech to control devices on Homey. It is implemented using Alexa smart home API and Athoms web API. Currently only onoff and dim capability are supported but other  capabilities can be added very easily in the near future. 

** BE AWARE ** The skill adapter is currently running on a US AWS server which explains the the latency and delays. I'm planning on moving it to a UK server as soon as possible. 

Demo:

That looks awesome! Is this essentially a similar thing to HA Bridge but running on the Homey?
  • This looks really great. Exactly as it should work imho
  • MbenzNoMbenzNo Member
    edited October 2017
    Yuhu!
    Finally someone with the necessary skills:  https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2837/alexa-skill-status#latest

Kudos to
    Reinier for developing a proper Alexa Smart Home skill the way it should have been from the start!

Modbreak:

Because TS of the other Alexa app is merging information are the both topics now merged into one topic

• Wow wonderful @Reinier
  • MbenzNoMbenzNo Member
    edited October 2017
    Great! No more "Ask Homey". Exactly as the Alexa skill should have been from the beginning
  • ReinierReinier Member
    edited October 2017
    @vaderag
    I've no experience with HA Bridge. Alexa fetches the devices paired with homey based on their capabilities. after installing the skill discovery takes place which fetches all the devices. Virtual devices can be used as well to trigger flows for example.

• O M G
    This looks awesome, would be really nice to see the app a.s.a.p. :p
  • Phuturist said:
    What is a proper skill in your own terms? The ask or tell Homey part is needed to identify that the voice command needs to be send to Homey instead of handled by Alexa itself.

How else would Alexa know what to do with something like 'turn off the lights'?
    Not true. Alexa can identify devices within its smarthome list. I'm already doing this using the HA-Bridge as middleware to show a number of devices within homey as devices Alexa thinks it can directly control. I currently have 11 devices I control from Alexa > HA-Bridge > Homey.

So I can say "Alexa bedroom lights 50%" and my bedroom lights go to 50%! There is no need for "tell homey" for a lot of what we need. All we need is athom to add a tick box per device to advertise to Alexa, and the option to customise the device name that is advertised separately to the homey device name. 
  • That looks awesome @reinier!
  • Phuturist said:
    What is a proper skill in your own terms? The ask or tell Homey part is needed to identify that the voice command needs to be send to Homey instead of handled by Alexa itself.

How else would Alexa know what to do with something like 'turn off the lights'?
    Not true. Alexa can identify devices within its smarthome list. I'm already doing this using the HA-Bridge as middleware to show a number of devices within homey as devices Alexa thinks it can directly control. I currently have 11 devices I control from Alexa > HA-Bridge > Homey.

So I can say "Alexa bedroom lights 50%" and my bedroom lights go to 50%! There is no need for "tell homey" for a lot of what we need. All we need is athom to add a tick box per device to advertise to Alexa, and the option to customise the device name that is advertised separately to the homey device name. 
    This is my current setup too. Works great (when my server decides to play nice!)
    Would love this to be native in homey via this app tho as will make managing long term much easier!!
    Excited!
  • Reinier said:
    Good news!

Demo:

@Reinier When will we see this? I am waiting to get it as i rely need it and don´t want to set up a HA-bridge just to get that. 
  • Any updates in this?
  • @Reinier

Any update on the Alexa skill? Even if it's very very alpha-like, I'm sure many of us would enjoy using it (me included :) )
  • Hi!

Sorry for letting you guys wait. I finished optimising the code, I'm going to add some extra capabilities this week and will then hand over the code to Emile to integrate it into the existing Homey skill.  

• swtttswttt Member
    edited November 2017
    So after you gave Emile the code just 8 weeks? <span>:sweat_smile:</span>
  • Reinier said:
    Hi!

Sorry for letting you guys wait. I finished optimising the code, I'm going to add some extra capabilities this week and will then hand over the code to Emile to integrate it into the existing Homey skill.  

is there anyway to donate a few bucks to thank you for the time and effort you have put in to this?
  • WoW very very Nice
  • ReinierReinier Member
    edited November 2017
    @McVit

I'm very glad you find this Alexa Skill useful and how very considerate of you to think of donating :)
    Of course I didn't make this with monetary gain in mind, but if anyone feels inclined to donate, the link is right here. o:)

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6FZGHRNP7DXGL
  • Can the still already be tested somewhere. Is iT in the US skill catalog ?
    Its sounds like heaven of speech that comes to earth 
  • @Reinier Is there any news or information to be able to test the skill?
  • Unfortunately not. I'm currently using hardcoded auth data linked to my homey. 
  • Reinier, very good work this would also be the solution for me, ask homey is not the best solution.
    Do appreciate this, will this be a different skill from the homey skill thats' there right now or an upgrade of the existing skill?
  • Reinier said:
    @McVit

I'm very glad you find this Alexa Skill useful and how very considerate of you to think of donating :)
    Of course I didn't make this with monetary gain in mind, but if anyone feels inclined to donate, the link is right here. o:)

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6FZGHRNP7DXGL
    First donation Done. There will be more once we can test it.

if this works aswell as you have shown this will be awsome!

• Why is the Homey Skill not available in the german alexa skill site?
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited November 2017
    Rickmann said:
    Why is the Homey Skill not available in the german alexa skill site?
    Because Homey doesn't support German (yet) and that is needed to use Alexa with Homey (both need to support the same language (in the current state)
  • CarosCaros Member
    edited November 2017
    Can the Alexa skill also be used from within the new Sonos ONE, which has native Alexa integration? Or does Sonos has anything 'in between'?
  • Hi guys,

I've got some bad news. For the past couple of weeks, I've been working on the homey skill. I'm currently at a stage where Alexa can automatically discover homey devices, and perform basic operations which works beautifully.

In order for me to finish the app, I need OAuth support from Emile (Athom). This means either getting an OAuth client id or implementing my code into the official Homey Alexa skill. 

To my own surprise, Emile has decided not to provide me with an OAuth client id anymore, nor is he willing to implement my code into the existing Homey Alexa skill. He argues that it will take him a significant amount of time to implement my code into his and that Amazon won't approve of a third-party skill with an official looking name. 

I've spent a lot of my time on this project and am disappointed with Emile's decision but my hands are tied. From what I have heard he is planning on building this feature himself in the near future. 

Regarding the donations, I'm willing to reimburse anyone who donated to me.

Regards,

Reinier
  • Reinier said:
    Hi guys,

I've got some bad news. For the past couple of weeks, I've been working on the homey skill. I'm currently at a stage where Alexa can automatically discover homey devices, and perform basic operations which works beautifully.

In order for me to finish the app, I need OAuth support from Emile (Athom). This means either getting an OAuth client id or implementing my code into the official Homey Alexa skill. 

To my own surprise, Emile has decided not to provide me with an OAuth client id anymore, nor is he willing to implement my code into the existing Homey Alexa skill. He argues that it will take him a significant amount of time to implement my code into his and that Amazon won't approve of a third-party skill with an official looking name. 

I've spent a lot of my time on this project and am disappointed with Emile's decision but my hands are tied. From what I have heard he is planning on building this feature himself in the near future. 

Regarding the donations, I'm willing to reimburse anyone who donated to me.

Regards,

Reinier
    This is really sad news :(

Can you release this as a different skill?  Called something else - i dunno?

@Emile
    can you give us a bit more information on the decision here? It seems a lot of people were waiting on this and for a significantly community driven project such as Homey it's sad to hear had work being cut off...
This discussion has been closed.