This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Fibaro Movement/Multi Sensor does not seem to work

13»

Comments

• Just_A_UserJust_A_User Member
    edited November 2017
    @Rocodamelshe

Nope, nothing. I have this: 

But, nothing :-(

• @Rocodamelshe

Ok, so I just tested the flows 1 by 1, starting at 4...then 3, 2, 1. 

About 30 seconds after I manually tested flow 1, we got messages on our phones telling us the washing machine is ready. This is somewhere between 8 and 10 minutes after the last alarm of the washing machine itself sounded. 

Why is this delay? I'm trying to understand the flows, but I'm afraid I don't understand whats happening. The timer which counts down from 100 (I guess thats what happens?) , which, if those 100 are seconds, is less then 2 minutes, but it took between 8 and 10 minutes AFTER the machine was finished to generate the message, so

1. I'm not even sure if the message was 'real' or a product of me testing the flows (in the wrong order) and
    2. if it was indeed a real message, why the delay? 
  • And now u gonna tell us u did make copies of ur dryer flows to make the washingmachine flows?
  • And now u gonna tell us u did make copies of ur dryer flows to make the washingmachine flows?
    Yes, I did. I made copies but obviously I changed them to 'wasmachine' so...should be OK, I guess? 

Next to that, I also expanded the dryer flow so that it turns off the wall plug 3 minutes after sending the 'dryer ready' message. Then I added a flow that sends a message confirming that it shut off the wallplug, and then I added another flow that turns on the wallplug at 07.30h and sends a message to remind us that we have  to manually shut off the dryer itself. 
  • U must check the tags then. Can be the dryer tag is still in the washingmachine flows.

• Best delete the tag in the middle colom by clicking it and drag the tag again from the left card to the middle card.
  • U must check the tags then. Can be the dryer tag is still in the washingmachine flows.
    Yeah, that was probably the case. However, I can not test it at the moment because we have nothing to wash at the moment. 

I did change those tags and saved them, and right at this moment, as I am writing this sentence, I get a message telling me  the washing machine is ready, even though the washing machine isn´t even on anymore... 
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    U must check the tags then. Can be the dryer tag is still in the washingmachine flows.
    Yeah, that was probably the case. However, I can not test it at the moment because we have nothing to wash at the moment. 

I did change those tags and saved them, and right at this moment, as I am writing this sentence, I get a message telling me  the washing machine is ready, even though the washing machine isn´t even on anymore... 
    You can always test this by unplugging the washing machine and plug in something else like a hair dryer. It works perfect and no need to wait for washing...  ;) It won't tell you "your hair has been dried off, though.
  • So, the next chapter of this soap...: 

Like I said yesterday evening, I expanded the flow for the dryer yesterday evening. Why? Because when we turn on the dryer in the evening (the washer & dryer are in the basement) we don't have to walk down when we're in bed to turn off the dryer, and I've heard sometime that leaving the dryer on for hours is 'dangerous'. 

Anyway, so I expanded the flow, so that when it reached the step where it sends the message to the phones, telling us the dryer is finished, I also turned off the wall plug, with a delay of 5 minutes: 

After that, I created a new flow, Droger 5, that will send me a message that the dryer (actually wallplug) has indeed been turned off: 

That's great and all, but at some point, we would like the wallplug to turn back on, at 07:30 in the morning, so we can turn the dryer itself off manually (I do realize that this solution is not great, I will change it, but, but stay with me for now): 

So, guess what, this didn't work. I started to doubt my logic, because last night, when I turned on the dryer, the original flow worked (again) and sent me a message telling me the dryer was finished. However, it did NOT turn off the wallplug. 

So this morning, I went down to the basement, to find the dryer on. I did not understand why. So, I took my phone, went to the Homey app, and saw that the wall plug was 'on'. I tried to turn it off in the app, and this is where it gets strange. 

The button in the app switches from the ON to the OFF position, and then RIGHT BACK to the ON position again, meaning that I can not effectively turn off the wall plug. Then I tried to do the same with the washing machine, and that works. 

The wallplug of the dryer however, does not. I don't understand why. I did not have time this morning to check what was going on. Any suggestions? The wallplug gives power consumption readouts, etc etc, it works (as does the original dryer-flow-set based on this wall plug) but apparently it can not be turned off? 
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017

The wallplug of the dryer however, does not. I don't understand why. I did not have time this morning to check what was going on. Any suggestions? The wallplug gives power consumption readouts, etc etc, it works (as does the original dryer-flow-set based on this wall plug) but apparently it can not be turned off? 
    Hmmm. Maybe the experts around can confirm, but my suspicion is that you are also one of the victims of the Z-WAVE BUG that hunts most of us lately. Athom is working hard to fix it. At least that's what they say....  o:)
    Fibaro (mostly) not responding but status reported correctly like yours.
    To confirm, before you do anything else, disconnect power at Homey, leave it for some 30 sec, connect it back, wait several minutes and try again to turn off the drier plug. (in short, and future reference, this process is also refer as PTP) If it works, then a step closed to confirm the dam bug is hunting you as well.

Unless somehow your flows keep turning on the plug in an endless loop.
  • danone said:

Hmmm. Maybe the experts around can confirm, but my suspicion is that you are also one of the victims of the Z-WAVE BUG that hunts most of us lately. Athom is working hard to fix it. At least that's what they say....  o:)
    To confirm, before you do anything else, disconnect power at Homey, leave it for some 30 sec, connect it back, wait several minutes and try again to turn off the drier plug. (in short, and future reference, this process is also refer as PTP) If it works, then a step closed to confirm the dam bug is hunting you as well.

The Z-Wave bug...wait, what? So there's something wrong? Then why does'nt the other wall plug (I have 2) have this problem? The wallplug that has the dryer on it (the 2nd one), I can turn off and on just the way you would expect. 

I tested that this morning. I turned on the washing machine, and then turned off the wall plug. The wasing machine went off right away. The other plug (the one not working) is right next to it, however,  that one I can't seem to turn off. So this bug you speak of, it only targets random devices? Not all of them? 
    edited November 2017
    @danone

Just tested it. Turned off the wall plug for the washing machine, no problem. It stays off. 

Then I removed all the 'turn off plug' cards from my flows for the dryer wall plug, saved those changes, and tried to turn off the wall plug. It goes off, but goes right back on again, so, it won't stay off. 

The weird thing is...as soon as I click on the button to turn off the wallplug (with the dryer on it) I get a message from Homey telling me the dryer is ready, so something changes in the wallplug, even for a split second, because it detects something's happening, otherwise the message would'nt be triggered. But then it turns on again directly. 

Is this in line with the Fibaro bug? I ask this because you write that "fibaro (mostly) not responding) but status reported correctly)". As soon as I hit the off button on the wall plug, something changes but then it undoes that something right away. 

I've been going over my loops to see if theres anything there, but the only flows I have with that specific wall plug are related to the dryer, and in those flows 'turn off/on wallplug' is not present. 
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    danone said:

The Z-Wave bug...wait, what? So there's something wrong? Then why does'nt the other wall plug (I have 2) have this problem? The wallplug that has the dryer on it (the 2nd one), I can turn off and on just the way you would expect. 

I tested that this morning. I turned on the washing machine, and then turned off the wall plug. The wasing machine went off right away. The other plug (the one not working) is right next to it, however,  that one I can't seem to turn off. So this bug you speak of, it only targets random devices? Not all of them? 
    Have you tried the PTP??

Yes, this z-wave bug gets random devices, on my case when this happens some 60% or more of my devices stop responding like yours. Although they report the status correctly to Homey. Mostly Fibaro but in my case also some Aeotec units.

According to your description, and since you have a small z-wave network, might not be the "bug".
    If the PTP does not sort this out, try also going to the switch itself and power off manually from the button. If it comes back ON right away then it is something wrong in one of the flows which in an endless loop keeps switching on the plug. (not sure if Fibaro plug has a manual on/off button as this one does not exists in Australia....)
    EDIT: OK I've checked the manual of this plug and it does has a button for on/off.
  • danone said:
    danone said:

Have you tried the PTP??

Yes, this z-wave bug gets random devices, on my case when this happens some 60% or more of my devices stop responding like yours. Although they report the status correctly to Homey. Mostly Fibaro but in my case also some Aeotec units.

According to your description, and since you have a small z-wave network, might not be the "bug".
    If the PTP does not sort this out, try also going to the switch itself and power off manually from the button. If it comes back ON right away then it is something wrong in one of the flows which in an endless loop keeps switching on the plug. (not sure if Fibaro plug has a manual on/off button as this one does not exists in Australia....)
    EDIT: OK I've checked the manual of this plug and it does has a button for on/off.
    No, I have not tried PTP yet, because I'm not home. I can try PTP tonight. So when this happens to you, you basically reboot your Homey and then it works for an amount of time and then it stops working again? 

Yes, the plug has a button on it, which should be for manual off/on, but I never touched that button, so I will try to do that tonight. But if it stays OFF when I press the button, then it's this Z-Wave bug? I am on firmware 1.5.3, and I have automatic updates turned off because someone here said that if you depend on Homey running your home automation, it's better to have that turned off. 

So, is there solution for this issue yet? Because it sounds like this issue has been around for quite some time, and it has not been solved yet..? 
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    No, I have not tried PTP yet, because I'm not home. I can try PTP tonight. So when this happens to you, you basically reboot your Homey and then it works for an amount of time and then it stops working again? 

Yes, the plug has a button on it, which should be for manual off/on, but I never touched that button, so I will try to do that tonight. But if it stays OFF when I press the button, then it's this Z-Wave bug? I am on firmware 1.5.3, and I have automatic updates turned off because someone here said that if you depend on Homey running your home automation, it's better to have that turned off. 

So, is there solution for this issue yet? Because it sounds like this issue has been around for quite some time, and it has not been solved yet..? 
    Yes, that's basically what I experience and it looks like many other users. PTP then it works for a while until it cracks on me again. Very random and I can only speculate that it is related somehow with network congestion. However, one thing for sure, I do have six Fibaro multisensors (like yours) once I start include them, hell brakes loose!! In short time most of my devices stop responding. For now none of those are included, until Athom figures out a solution. Without those sensors in the network, I get stability sometimes even for a whole week. (not since 1.5.5  :# :# :# )

Indeed, try the button and turn off the plug manually, if it stays off, then you are one step closer to declare war to "the bug". But do this before PTP. Then also perform the PTP and if that get the plug responsive again, then you are another step closer to declare atomic war to "the bug".

Clever, stay on stable 1.5.3. You are new into this and until you get some experience don't risk with experimental firmware.

No solution, yet. It has been for a while, my gut feeling is that Athom in the begining did not admit that it was actually a bug. But after lots of complains, some of them from installers (and you get the financial impact here....) they are working hard to fix it. Next firmware 1.5.6 apparently will have some tools implemented to help Athom to find the needle in the haystack. All on GitHub...

Meanwhile, I would not stop the fun if I would be you. Keep writing those flows  :)
  • danone said:

Yes, that's basically what I experience and it looks like many other users. PTP then it works for a while until it cracks on me again. Very random and I can only speculate that it is related somehow with network congestion. However, one thing for sure, I do have six Fibaro multisensors (like yours) once I start include them, hell brakes loose!! In short time most of my devices stop responding. For now none of those are included, until Athom figures out a solution. Without those sensors in the network, I get stability sometimes even for a whole week. (not since 1.5.5  :# :# :# )

Indeed, try the button and turn off the plug manually, if it stays off, then you are one step closer to declare war to "the bug". But do this before PTP. Then also perform the PTP and if that get the plug responsive again, then you are another step closer to declare atomic war to "the bug".

Clever, stay on stable 1.5.3. You are new into this and until you get some experience don't risk with experimental firmware.

No solution, yet. It has been for a while, my gut feeling is that Athom in the begining did not admit that it was actually a bug. But after lots of complains, some of them from installers (and you get the financial impact here....) they are working hard to fix it. Next firmware 1.5.6 apparently will have some tools implemented to help Athom to find the needle in the haystack. All on GitHub...

Meanwhile, I would not stop the fun if I would be you. Keep writing those flows  :)
    Are you basically telling me that this bug is being caused by the Fibaro motion sensors? Because I have only 1 of those.. 

I will try it with that wallplug, and when it doesn't work (so, if it is the bug) I will switch the wallplug with the one from the washing machine, because I don't care if the washing machine does not turn off, but I want to be able to turn off the dryer. 

If you squash the bug with PTP, when the bug is back, is that on the same 60% of your network? So everytime, it's the same devices that have the same issues? or does that change from time to time? 
  • In the Fibaro plugs there is an option "always on".
    Uncheck it in ur settings and ur good to go.
  • danone said:

Are you basically telling me that this bug is being caused by the Fibaro motion sensors? Because I have only 1 of those.. 

I will try it with that wallplug, and when it doesn't work (so, if it is the bug) I will switch the wallplug with the one from the washing machine, because I don't care if the washing machine does not turn off, but I want to be able to turn off the dryer. 

If you squash the bug with PTP, when the bug is back, is that on the same 60% of your network? So everytime, it's the same devices that have the same issues? or does that change from time to time? 
    No, please don't jump into such conclusions, I am not saying that the bug is caused by culprit is Fibaro multisensors!! I am saying that in my case it looks like they have an effect. Without any of them and still I face problems, much seldom indeed.

That's a good point, they are actually the very same devices that stop responding every time! Even after one day I did a total reset of z-wave, after all included the very same devices stopped working. 
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    In the Fibaro plugs there is an option "always on".
    There you go! If I don't own one... This could be your answer @Just_A_User and it could make perfect sense since you get actually a message on the phone "Drier Ready" when trying to switch off, else if no response of the plug because the bug perhaps you would get nothing.
    edited November 2017
    In the Fibaro plugs there is an option "always on".
    OMFG. So this setting was checked. Now I can switch it off! Thanks so much! 

Hmm..strange (or maybe not?) thing though...now that i CAN turn off that wallplug, as soon as I do, it no longer gives me the message 'dryer ready'. ... ? Or does that make sense someway or another?
  • Can I mark this post as solved, because the problem with the multi sensor is solved right?

• Hmm..strange (or maybe not?) thing though...now that i CAN turn off that wallplug, as soon as I do, it no longer gives me the message 'dryer ready'. ... ? Or does that make sense someway or another?
    U meassure power consumption from the plug to run ur flow. Now u telling us that the flow won't work when plug is off. Well, ur right. For meassuring power of the plug the plug needs to be on. So best turn it off after u got the message or even like after 10 minutes just to be sure the dryer IS ready!
    edited November 2017
    @Rocodamelshe

So, after trying a couple of days, the flow for the washing machine does not seem to work correctly. It reported just now that it was ready, but when I got down there, it turned out it still has 34 minutes to go. Something is not working correctly/different than the flow for the dryer. 

The dryer is NOT on, and is NOT connected to the same wallplug. I did change all the #energy tags in the washing machine flows for the #energy tags of the wallplug that the washing machine is on. 

Any suggestions?

Edit: 

So, Homey sent a total of 3 messages now telling me the washing machine (WM) is ready, but in reality it isn't. Now, I don't understand what is happening in the flow, but I my guess would be either (or both) of 2 things: 

The drop in energy usage goes below 10 (as stated in the flow) which triggers the hourglass to start it's countdown, AND/OR, the timer is too short, as it runs down, and after that, the WM starts using more energy again. 

it does this in it's cycle. Towards the end (of a 2hr program) it seems to 'stop'. This takes some time, and then it continues to rotate it's drum again. But it could be that in this 'stop' time, the energy usage drops below 10, and/or the time between stopping and starting the rotation again is longer then the countdown timer is, therefor it sends me the message? 

Something like that? 
  • Could be the countdown timer indeed. Maybe increase it a bit.