This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[APP] Virtual Devices for Homey

Comments

• JPeJPe Member
    edited September 2017
    @Arie_Laxed  The status of the virtual devices like Away and Holyday are always set to OFF when the Homey software is updatet. This morning also again, I was afraid my holiday was over, but I could convince Homey, it's not, by setting the virtual devices to Away and on Holiday :D . Please save the actual status when updates are installed. Great App, very usefull. <3
  • Arie_LaxedArie_Laxed Member
    edited September 2017
    JPe said:
    @Arie_Laxed  The status of the virtual devices like Away and Holyday are always set to OFF when the Homey software is updatet. This morning also again, I was afraid my holiday was over, but I could convince Homey, it's not, by setting the virtual devices to Away and on Holyday :D . Please save the actual status when updates are installed. Great App, very usefull. <3
    Hi JPe: Thanks for the remark. I do save the state (since 0.5.3) when Homey is rebooted or the App is restarted. Perhaps it is different when Homey itself has a (major) update and resets all the states. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not sure how I could save the state differently.

And enjoy your Holiday  B)
  • Maybe a noob question but what is the difference between a device & mode? If I choose a alarm as 'device' and movie as 'mode' I get 2 items that I can turn on and off. But I can't see any differences between these 2 items.
  • The idea behind a mode is to set your house in a state with one switch. E.g. when on Holiday, you may want to use different timers for the lights and radiators. Or movie can mean that the lights are dimmed and you're not disturbed by phone or doorbell.
    A device resembles an actual device, even though it is virtual. A device also has a class and more choices of capabilities which gives it more functionality from Homey. E.g. a device with class light will also respond to the 'light' voice command.
  • xAPPOxAPPO Member
    edited October 2017
    Is a virtual dimmer being worked on ?

Answering my own Q..   
    It appears the answer is yes along with the V2 API re-write ... many thanks looking forward to it !
  • xAPPO said:
    Is a virtual dimmer being worked on ?

Answering my own Q..   
    It appears the answer is yes along with the V2 API re-write ... many thanks looking forward to it !
    It is included in the 0.6.5 release. It is in the beta-channel, but don't let that stop you.
  • Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    edited October 2017
    @Arie_Laxed ; great to see that you add Multi status to your app, but trying to figur out how  it should work. So far i have no clue.
  • I agree that that part could be more user friendly, but perhaps this helps:
    First you select a name and an icon, just like with a 'normal' virtual device.

Then you specify the modes. Specify a name and an icon and press ‘add mode to the list’. You’ll then see the mode appear in the list of modes. If you’ve made a mistake, you an remove the mode.
    When you’re done with the list of modes, you can press 'Add Device' and the multi-mode device is created.

• Hi arie, thanks for the fast response. But the part you subscribe i understand. Cant figure out how to use it in a flow. For example in the then colum there is a open field "status" no dropdown so can you give a examble how to use it in flows. 
  • Oy1974 said:
    Hi arie, thanks for the fast response. But the part you subscribe i understand. Cant figure out how to use it in a flow. For example in the then colum there is a open field "status" no dropdown so can you give a examble how to use it in flows. 
    In the Then column, you have to type the mode exactly as when you defined it. You can see the defined modes in the mobile card when pressing the icons. The most left icon has the current mode (when changing, it may take about 1 second). There is also a Tag called 'multimode status' with the same value.
  • The Multimode works like a charm, but the icons on the device and mode don't show up at the cards in the android app, browser and homeyda.sh. Is this a known problem?
  • awesome app! thank you
  • LyoshaDovolenLyoshaDovolen Member
    edited November 2017
  • LyoshaDovolenLyoshaDovolen Member
    edited November 2017

Hi Arjan. Please add virtual alarm states, like

STAY_ARM
    AWAY_ARM
    NIGHT_ARM
    DISARMED

• Has anybody noticed long lag times in the response of the Virtual Device action cards? I have a flow that triggers an Virtual Device to switch Mode ON. However, since a week I have noticed it takes long time to respond if at all. When testing I see the other action cards respond swiftly, apart from the VD action card.
    For Homey I do a clean boot every day, no memory leaks noticed thusfar. 
  • fabiannmbfabiannmb Member
    edited December 2017
    fspaan said:
    Has anybody noticed long lag times in the response of the Virtual Device action cards? I have a flow that triggers an Virtual Device to switch Mode ON. However, since a week I have noticed it takes long time to respond if at all. When testing I see the other action cards respond swiftly, apart from the VD action card.
    Same here! Looks like there is nothing happening at all.... When I switch my virtual mode switch to on/off none of the flows where I used it as "as" card get's activated. Strange thing is that you can see the state of the mode change in the tags list.
  • fspaan said:
    Has anybody noticed long lag times in the response of the Virtual Device action cards? I have a flow that triggers an Virtual Device to switch Mode ON. However, since a week I have noticed it takes long time to respond if at all. When testing I see the other action cards respond swiftly, apart from the VD action card.
    Yes. I took to using a timer to scan them all every 3 seconds
  • clindhclindh Member
    edited December 2017
    My VD app has suddenly started crashing - four times since yesterday. I have not done any changes to any VD device/mode for several days prior to this series of crashes. I have rebooted Homey, but still crashing. Does this tell you anything?

TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of undefined

at Object.<anonymous> (/general/drivers/device.js:66:59)

at emitThree (events.js:135:13)

at Object.emit (events.js:216:7)

at /manager/flow.js:1:315

at /helpers/client.js:1:1040

at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)

at process.<anonymous> (/helpers/client.js:1:1009)

at emitTwo (events.js:125:13)

at process.emit (events.js:213:7)

at emit (internal/child_process.js:774:12)

• Hi Christer,

I get these crash-reports by mail, without knowing who's Homey it was. Apparently the ones of the last days were yours.
    I'd advise you to upgrade to the 0.6.6 version. It is in beta but it is not less than the stable version and will become stable in a week or 2 anyway.
    If that does not help, try removing the device and adding a new device.

Version 0.6.6 was kept in beta for backwards compatibility reasons. If you still have a Virtual Device with an 'obsolete'-icon, it will stop working in 0.6.6. You need to replace it with a new virtual device. 

Let me know if that didn't help.
  • I'd advise you to upgrade to the 0.6.6 version. It is in beta but it is not less than the stable version and will become stable in a week or 2 anyway.
    I installed the beta, but it crashed faster than the released one - although with a different message. Maybe you got those reports as well

Then I re-installed the released one. I then lost my devices, but (as it seems) also the bug - it has not crashed yet.
  • Hallo, 

I have the need for a new virtual device. In several rooms I have more than one temperature sensor (eg. Netatmo, Hue Motion Sensor, Fibaro Door/Window Sensor). For different reasons I calculate the average of all sensors  in one room and I think it would be a great idea to use this average in a virtual sensor device (getting its values from better logic eg.)

Regards 
    Andreas
  • Seraphim said:
    Hallo, 

I have the need for a new virtual device. In several rooms I have more than one temperature sensor (eg. Netatmo, Hue Motion Sensor, Fibaro Door/Window Sensor). For different reasons I calculate the average of all sensors  in one room and I think it would be a great idea to use this average in a virtual sensor device (getting its values from better logic eg.)

Regards 
    Andreas
    Ha.. its your lucky day.. he has just developed the beta version to include this
  • Also, I’ve added a few github-pages to explain some things of the VD-app:
    https://arjankranenburg.github.io/virtual-devices/sensor
  • Thank you very much!
  • I dont know is it documented .. I have VD Switch for roller blinds .. I can make them on/off .. dimm more/less .. and I can manually (over VD switch) set it to go up or down or stop .. but when I manually move them .. dimm state is not changing on VD switch .. so blinds can be half way down .. VD switch will show 100% open .. 
  • jprgomet said:
    I dont know is it documented .. I have VD Switch for roller blinds .. I can make them on/off .. dimm more/less .. and I can manually (over VD switch) set it to go up or down or stop .. but when I manually move them .. dimm state is not changing on VD switch .. so blinds can be half way down .. VD switch will show 100% open .. 
    Surely you need some way of capturing the existing state and checking this before activating the switch?
  • hmm .. I not sure what you mean .. 
  • konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited January 2018
    jprgomet said:
    hmm .. I not sure what you mean .. 
    Well the virtual device is virtual.. so there is no way for it to know what an external controller set the blind state to.
    I assume that you can query the blind controller and store the current state of the blind?

If you can, then you can store this as a Better Logic variable.

Finally you would then need to be able to reference that before moving the blind with the virtual device to know how much more it needs to move

• I can control the blinds via VD switch .. 100% functional .. when I dimm it or press it up/down/stop on VD switch it triggers flows .. that control the controller dimm at level X .. up down stop .. all works .. 

but .. what doesn't work .. two things .. 

1) If I set dimm at 50% on controler and go back and open VD switch .. VD switch still shows 100% .. since the VD switch in my case controls (via flows) all the blinds .. it would be hard set the dimm level .. which one to use .. so that is understandable .. 

2) when I use VD switch to move it up/down .. via up/down buttons on VD switch .. it does not refresh dimm state shown on VD switch .. also understandable since it moves up/down all the blinds .. 

its not a problem .. just a remark .. dimm level not refreshed on those cases .. 

• Hi,
    is it possible to set the target temp from a thermostat with better logic? I just want to show a specific value in the overview without sending push notification or something else.
    Thanks.