This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[APP] Virtual Devices for Homey

ZperXZperX Member
edited September 2017 in Apps

Virtual Devices for Homey

Appstore: http://apps.athom.com/app/com.arjankranenburg.virtual

There been workarounds to produce virtual devices/switches but I think this app is the straight forward solution.

Many has asked in the appstore if it would be possible to add further icons. Yes, as separate devices/drivers. Maybe this is not the neatest solution but I am not a programmer:

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps not the nicest solution, but I think the best and easiest for now.

Since I'm not a graphical designer (I'm not too happy with my first icon either), would you be willing to share your icons? Then I can include them in the next release.

• That offer is for anyone: if you want your icons included in the app, post them here.
    Or if you know how to work with GitHub, you may create a Pull Request as well.

I'll give you an Honourable mention as well  :)
  • @Arie_Laxed developers can also ask @IvoDerksen from Athom to make some additional vector icons (if you have device pictures or something equal); see https://github.com/athombv/homey-vectors-public

Saved me quite some time and the quality is excellent..
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Please find attached the app with my changes. You might want to check the Dutch translations.
    I will upload additional .SVG icons here on the forum.
    VD.zip 101.6K
  • ZperXZperX Member
    I was thinking (and planning) to add the following icons/modes/virtual devices:

Modes:
    • Random
    • Sleep
    • Quiet
    • Holiday

Devices:
    • Light
    • Alarm
    • A/C
    • Blinds
    • TV
    • HiFi
    • Consol
  • I think the other (generic) ones should bedded too
    Temp
    Switch
    Plug
    Lamp

• ZperXZperX Member
    Current stage. I will stop here for now.

• TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited April 2017
    @ZperX Nice work!
    Can you also add Movie mode?
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Of course! how could I forget that... I added movie mode:

Please find attached the app.

If you don`t know how to install app not in the appstore:

• @ZperX and @Arie_Laxed great update... just installed and looking great.

Two suggestions:
    1) I'm missing one mode; don't know how to call it... it's when we are away and we want to disable all fancy features when e.g. the oldies are babysitting...
    2) Currently the mode devices are acting the same way as virtual devices... But I would guess they are mutually exclusive; if one mode is selected, all others will be cancelled (switched off). Is it possible to add this to this app? 
  • bvbbvb Member
    ZperX said:
    Of course! how could I forget that... I added movie mode:

Please find attached the app.

If you don`t know how to install app not in the appstore:

A "garage door" would also be nice :-)
    Thanks a lot in advance
  • ZperXZperX Member
    @TedTolboom I guess you meant manual mode when the house goes dumb...
    Yes the modes work the same as the other virtual devices, they can be on or off, active or disabled, armed or disarmed. I would not limit the modes, there might be instances when you wish to activate two modes in the same time especially in bigger houses. In my case movie and sleep can be active in the same time. However you can do that limitation in flows.

@bvb Good suggestion, might add it in the next version.
  • edited April 2017
    Really great app! I love the Icons.

I have one problem.
    When I make a Switch "TV" and I turned the tv on with another remote than stays the switch "off".
    How can I fix this?
    I tried to add "turn the switch on" in the "...than" column . But the it's gets in a Loop (turn on and off and crash Homey sometime).

With Better Logic I used the boolean with a Trigger (push button)
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited April 2017
    @nickvandergraaf Thank you for your feedback. I can`t reproduce the issue. I have checked the code for typos but I could not find anything but I am not a programmer. Do you have this issue only with the virtual TV? Can you try with the generic Virtual Switch? Would it be possible that you have created an infinite loop with flows?
  • Wow, nice to see that it wasn't just me that needed virtual devices. Thanks also for the ideas and feedback. 

@ZperX thanks for your help. I hope to have it included by next week and will include you as contributor, if you don't mind. 

• Really great app! I love the Icons.

I have one problem.
    When I make a Switch "TV" and I turned the tv on with another remote than stays the switch "off".
    How can I fix this?
    I tried to add "turn the switch on" in the "...than" column . But the it's gets in a Loop (turn on and off and crash Homey sometime).

With Better Logic I used the boolean with a Trigger (push button)
    Does the remote trigger a flow with the tv in the then-column?
    Or does the remote turn on the tv and is also picked up by Homey?

in the first case, you could only set the Virtual TV in the then column, which will then also trigger the flow where the virtual tv triggers the TV. 

In the second situation: I'm planning to include a setting that can turn-off the triggering of other flows (as in cascading flows). But I have to learn how to do settings, first. 
  • Yes the remote triggers a flow.
    I set the remote to the virtual device and it worked!

Thanks
  • @Arie_Laxed Nice app! Just one question. Is it possible to also make "simple" triggers for flows?
    Currently I'm using the Better Logic app and made trigger "devices" which I then use in the app to start flows.
    These triggers don't have a on / off state, just a one time push.
  • @Arie_Laxed @ZperX, Nice job on the app and the icons!

@ Arie, Is it also possible to add an option for push button devices? Just a virtual device, but one that turns off immediately after it is turned on. I have a workaround now by using flows, but a button like this saves flows. :)
  • Skorpion said:
    @Arie_Laxed @ZperX, Nice job on the app and the icons!

@ Arie, Is it also possible to add an option for push button devices? Just a virtual device, but one that turns off
    immediately after it is turned on. I have a workaround now by using flows, but a button like this saves flows. :)
    I just send out v0.3.0 to Athom. They usually take a week to accept.
    I will add a push-button next. What would be a nice icon for it?

/Arjan
  • @Arie_Laxed do you already have icons? HomeyDash uses some icons from https://thenounproject.com/ Maybe you can find some examples there. Best is ofcourse to follow the icons Athom uses, but thats my personal opninion.

https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=button

• ZperXZperX Member
    @Arie_Laxed If you could add a Relax mode, Manual mode, Garage and push button drivers on github I will produce/get some icons and do a pull request.
  • SkorpionSkorpion Member
    edited April 2017
    Skorpion said:
    @Arie_Laxed @ZperX, Nice job on the app and the icons!

@ Arie, Is it also possible to add an option for push button devices? Just a virtual device, but one that turns off
    immediately after it is turned on. I have a workaround now by using flows, but a button like this saves flows. :)
    I just send out v0.3.0 to Athom. They usually take a week to accept.
    I will add a push-button next. What would be a nice icon for it?

/Arjan
    Ok nice! Maybe the same logo's as there are now, but with a little push button icon added to it?

For example, I have a couple virtual devices for Hue scenes, so I would love to keep the light icon but the little added push icon tells that it isn't a normal light switch.
  • Great app! 
  • ZperX said:
    @Arie_Laxed If you could add a Relax mode, Manual mode, Garage and push button drivers on github I will produce/get some icons and do a pull request.
    I've added the relax and manual modes, and Push-buttons for General, Light, Alarm, Hi-Fi, and TV and pushed this to GitHub.
    It would be great if you could add some buttons. Thanks!

A garage requires an up, stop, down and requires some more work. That's next on the list.
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited May 2017
    Hi, I've just installed the app from Github. With al those different buttons/icons, it's a really handy tool!

Some suggestions for icons:
    - Switch button: https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=wall switch&i=79499
    - Push button: https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=push button&i=332839
    - Relax: https://thenounproject.com/search/?q=relaxing&i=592533
    - Manual: https://thenounproject.com/term/manual-focus/637712/

- edit -
    Some suggestions for modes:
    - At Home mode (thuismodus) -> To let Homey know that some one is at home.
    - Power saving mode (spaarstandmodus) -> Some times I leave home, and want to leave 1 or 2 lights on. 
    - Upstairs mode (bovenmodus) -> There are still people in the house, they are not asleep, but all upstairs.
    - Comfort mode -> The heating a bit warmer, de lights dimmed, romantic music on..

Keep up the good work! 

• bvbbvb Member
    Regarding Garage: The most have only two states, open and closed. If you use a push button, then you have no resl state and you need to combine it with a sensor, to know if ir is open or closed. So stop makes only sense, if the app support the runtime and therefore idle states of the garage So to make it easy, a picture with open and closed would be suitable for the most people, or?
  • home78home78 Member
    Great App. Considered making something like this myself to get rid of all the dummy KaKu switches. ;)

One additional request though: would it be possible to either customize the description of the device modus that are used in the Homey interface? For example, I use the Light button to choose if the Dimming modes for lights are on or off but in the Homey interface these modes are shown as Light is on / Light is off which makes understanding what a flow does a little bit unclear sometimes. Maybe generalizing the modes to just On or Off would be a good idea?

In the Homey iOS App, only the device name is shown so in that area there isn't any problem.
  • @Arie_Laxed Thanks for the app! it works great. Is there a reason why you're not assigning a default class from Athom to your devices? Like the lights? So when I say "turn of all the light" it will also turn off the virtual ones
  • home78 said:
    Great App. Considered making something like this myself to get rid of all the dummy KaKu switches. ;)

One additional request though: would it be possible to either customize the description of the device modus that are used in the Homey interface? For example, I use the Light button to choose if the Dimming modes for lights are on or off but in the Homey interface these modes are shown as Light is on / Light is off which makes understanding what a flow does a little bit unclear sometimes. Maybe generalizing the modes to just On or Off would be a good idea?

In the Homey iOS App, only the device name is shown so in that area there isn't any problem.
    Thanks!
    The text is set in the app.json and most of that is not configurable after loading. On the other hand, the programming interfaces of Homey are not very clear described, so it is not a definite "not possible" either. I'll keep an eye on it.

If you see an app where it is done, please tell me.

I could add multiple cards. Then you can choose which one to take. I'll try that in a later release.