This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[APP] Virtual Devices for Homey

Comments

• @Arie_Laxed Thanks for the app! it works great. Is there a reason why you're not assigning a default class from Athom to your devices? Like the lights? So when I say "turn of all the light" it will also turn off the virtual ones
    No reason. I just started with a generic switch and then we copied that to more specific devices. Never thought of changing the class. Thanks for the pointer.
  • I just started using my first Virtual Device (the general switch), but is it expected to not react on speech commands? I can't get the switch to work by asking Homey to switch it on or off. Now I noticed the remark above about the light class and was wondering if that's the same case and hasn't been implemented yet.
  • @Arie_Laxed Thanks for the app! it works great. Is there a reason why you're not assigning a default class from Athom to your devices? Like the lights? So when I say "turn of all the light" it will also turn off the virtual ones
    I just published version 0.5.0 and if you add a new Virtual Device, you can configure the class, a.o.
  • Amelsfort said:
    I just started using my first Virtual Device (the general switch), but is it expected to not react on speech commands? I can't get the switch to work by asking Homey to switch it on or off. Now I noticed the remark above about the light class and was wondering if that's the same case and hasn't been implemented yet.
    I never looked at speech, so I would be surprised if it worked. But you can add a flow where speech is detected (in the IF column) and the virtual device is turned on or off (in the THEN column).
    In version 0.5.0, you can also select a class, like 'light'.
  • I can make a flow for it or cource, but I want to keep the amount of flows to a minimum. And since other devices can be controlled directly (without flows) I kind of expected the same with these devices.

Some other issue: since my Homey automatically updated this app, I just recreated some devices but now I can't add a button device to the trigger column of the flows. The same goes for a trigger device created through Better Logic.
  • Amelsfort said:
    Some other issue: since my Homey automatically updated this app, I just recreated some devices but now I can't add a button device to the trigger column of the flows. The same goes for a trigger device created through Better Logic.
    Oops, I see. I will fix this asap (the button, not the Better Logic ;-) ). Thanks for reporting!
  • Amelsfort said:
    Oops, I see. I will fix this asap (the button, not the Better Logic ;-) ). Thanks for reporting!
    Ahh hope we get a fix soon (removed all my old buttons allready)
  • That was fast!! Thxn for the update!
  • Indeed very fast! Works great now! Thanks!
  • viktorviktor Member
    Hi @Arie_Laxed, is the pressed/changed working? I cannot bring it to work in this flow:

Tnx
  • Hi viktor,
    Hi @Arie_Laxed, is the pressed/changed working?
    It is working for me, although I do not have a better-logic card in the And-column. Where does it get the tag from?
    What happens if you test this in the flow editor? Does it work without the better-logic card in the And-column?

I hope this helps.
  • viktorviktor Member
    Hi @Arie_Laxed
    In the "and" column is the global tag from the VD Switch, on or off. Using the same Flows but with Bitflip device is working on devices status change. Going to try tommorow without tag in the and. Tnx.
  • keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
    edited August 2017
    Hi, I am looking for a way to disable all modes except one. In my situation, I don't want more than 1 modes active simultaneously.

For example:

IF: activate vacation mode THEN: disable all modes except vacation mode

I guess, this is only possible as the app would get an action-card for this..

p.s. I still have some suggestions for modes too.. ;)

At Home mode (thuismodus) -> To let Homey know that some one is at home.
    Power saving mode (spaarstandmodus) -> Some times I leave home, and want to leave 1 or 2 lights on. 
    Upstairs mode (bovenmodus) -> There are still people in the house, they are not asleep, but all upstairs.
    Comfort mode -> The heating a bit warmer, de lights dimmed, romantic music on..
  • Hi, I am looking for a way to disable all modes except one. In my situation, I don't want more than 1 modes active simultaneously.

For example:

Power saving mode (spaarstandmodus) -> Some times I leave home, and want to leave 1 or 2 lights on. 
    Upstairs mode (bovenmodus) -> There are still people in the house, they are not asleep, but all upstairs.
    You could do this by disabling all other modes in a flow.

I'm also thinking of modes with more than 2 states. So not just 'on' and 'off', but for example 'normal', 'romantic', 'working', 'movie', 'football', etc. to set the light settings. Would that help you?

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Hi, I am looking for a way to disable all modes except one. In my situation, I don't want more than 1 modes active simultaneously.

For example:

You could do this by disabling all other modes in a flow.

I'm also thinking of modes with more than 2 states. So not just 'on' and 'off', but for example 'normal', 'romantic', 'working', 'movie', 'football', etc. to set the light settings. Would that help you?

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Thanks for your reply. Is there a 'action-card' that I can use to disable all other modes? I could'nt find it..

A mode with more than 2 state is nice, but would'nt work for me. I want to use the virtual devices as 'buttons' in the Homey phone app and later in the Homey dash. And it should be fool-proof (for wife and kid). For example, in Homey dash (I want to mount a tablet on the wall), I only want to show a couple (max 8) of big buttons like Home, Away, Comfort, Sleep, Upstairs, Movie, Power Saving, Vacation. 

The wife (and actualy me too) want just to push 1 button (for example 'Movie') to set the house in a mode, but she doesn't want to open a menu, browse true the states and choose 'Movie'.
  • Arie_LaxedArie_Laxed Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for your reply. Is there a 'action-card' that I can use to disable all other modes? I could'nt find it..
    No there is no action-card for 'all other' modes. I meant: for each other mode add an action-card to turn it off. Indeed, that can be some work.
    I can add action-cards for 'all modes' and 'all other modes', but then it will also turn off the modes that should not be turned off. I'm not sure if a lot of people will use it. Perhaps an action card that can take a list of modes, but I'm not sure if that is possible in Homey.
    Anyway, I understand your wish now. I will add it to the wish-list and give it some thoughts on how to work it out. Thanks! 
  • @Arie_Laxed I might be an option, but more complicated to implement, to give each mode a 'persistent' setting...
    if enabled, looping over the modes, should not turn these settings off

one additional request, is it possible to save the state of a mode (e.g. in settings) so that upon init after a reboot, the modes can be "recovered"
  • Arie_LaxedArie_Laxed Member
    edited August 2017
    @Arie_Laxed I might be an option, but more complicated to implement, to give each mode a 'persistent' setting...
    if enabled, looping over the modes, should not turn these settings off

one additional request, is it possible to save the state of a mode (e.g. in settings) so that upon init after a reboot, the modes can be "recovered"
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah maybe with some special settings. Or a button linked to a multi-mode. There are various ways...
    The feature is added to the wish-list: https://github.com/ArjanKranenburg/virtual-devices/issues/3

The save state is requested before as well:
    https://github.com/ArjanKranenburg/virtual-devices/issues/8
  • Hi viktor,
    Hi @Arie_Laxed, is the pressed/changed working?
    It is working for me, although I do not have a better-logic card in the And-column. Where does it get the tag from?
    What happens if you test this in the flow editor? Does it work without the better-logic card in the And-column?

I hope this helps.
    He Arie, not sure of its the same problem as viktor had, but in the following flow the pressed/changed card is not triggered. I can solve it with two separate flows but this should work as wel right? If I trigger the flow manually it works as designed.

• Great that it's on the wish-list! :) 

Indeed a action card is maybe not the best solution. But an app-setting (Do you want to cancel all other modes, if one mode is selected?) would work for me. Or what Ted says, an option per device (Do you want to cancel this mode, if an other mode is selected?) would work too!
  • He Arie, not sure of its the same problem as viktor had, but in the following flow the pressed/changed card is not triggered. I can solve it with two separate flows but this should work as wel right? If I trigger the flow manually it works as designed.

Thanks for reporting. I just reproduced this. Indeed, the 'test' works, but the card is not triggered when changing the device.
    I've updated issue #7 and upgraded it to bug:
    https://github.com/ArjanKranenburg/virtual-devices/issues/7
  • Is it possible to create a button or slider to change radio station??
    I have several radio station on my chromecast all on a Klik aan Klik uit remote.
    But I also want to switch station from my mobile Homey app.
    It would be nice if there was a button or slider to change the radio station from Homey Iphone app
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited August 2017
    posthok said:
    Is it possible to create a button or slider to change radio station??
    I have several radio station on my chromecast all on a Klik aan Klik uit remote.
    It would be nice if there was a button or slider to change the radio station from Homey Iphone app
    You triggered a though...
    it would be nice if it was possible to emulate a remote button...
    now you need three flows to trigger an action with either the remote button or with the app...
    if it would be able to create a virtual device able to directly trigger a trigger card of another device you only need 1 flow...
    I don't think it would be easy to set this up due to the different definition of these trigger cards, some devices have different card per button and action, some have cards with arguments... @Arie_Laxed if you disagree, let me know..

I will check if it would be able to embed this in the Remotec app as extension for the Remotec Scene Master remote...
  • You triggered a though...
    Wouldn't it be nice if thoughts could be used in trigger-cards... ;-)
  • posthok said:
    now you need three flows to trigger an action with either the remote button or with the app...
    if it would be able to create a virtual device able to directly trigger a trigger card of another device you only need 1 flow...
    I don't think it would be easy to set this up due to the different definition of these trigger cards, some devices have different card per button and action, some have cards with arguments... @Arie_Laxed if you disagree, let me know..

I will check if it would be able to embed this in the Remotec app as extension for the Remotec Scene Master remote...
    I can play with that, but not sure if Homey allows you to trigger cards from other apps. I would not be surprised if this was blocked.
  • You triggered a though...
    Wouldn't it be nice if thoughts could be used in trigger-cards... ;-)
    Well it would be nice coding by thought...

posthok said:

I can play with that, but not sure if Homey allows you to trigger cards from other apps. I would not be surprised if this was blocked.
    SDK2 opens opportunities, but if I look at how the Z- ave device "central scene" trigger commands are defined and are different, it will be more complex than using a onoff capability...
    Will contact you by Slack to discuss options..
  • posthok said:
    Little bit offtopic but which apps are you using for those radio stations? (chromecast app and..?) And how do you switch the radio stations with a flow?
  • posthokposthok Member
    edited August 2017
    At this moment i'm using chromecast audio and indeed switch from channels by flow with a button.
    Also as a secondary controller i'm using a klik aan klik uit remote to change the volume and chose a different station en turn of chromecast

• Question, 

i had to remove all my virtual switches because it was getting messy. The switches were triggered by flows. 

I wanted to have virtual switches for each room to turn on/off all lights in a room. But if you have other switches in that room. Then its getting messy because the virtual switches are not in 'sync' when when a different switch is used. And if you try to put them in sync, then you get a mess because it triggers the virtual switch flow.

So; when can we expect the option to turn of triggering? I'm happy to do a donation. Because I love the virtual switches, but i need them not to trigger when they are in the then column. 
  • Hi,

Thanks for your remark. Since I'm doing this in my spare-time, I will not commit myself to a date. Today a new Homey version is/will be released, and I'm waiting a bit how that turns out. After that I will pick up some new features and since I've heard this request before, it is pretty much on the top of the list.

Wkr /Arjan