This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

What thermostat works best with Homey?

I am planning to replace our central heating system (CV-ketel) in the couple of months. When replacing, I want to upgrade the 15 year old thermostat too, for a 'smart' one that works with Homey. But there are so many thermostats in the market that I don't see the trees trough the forrest anymore. ;)

I am curious what Thermostat you use, and how you can controll it with Homey, and how it can give information back to Homey. 

Some things I want in my new thermostat:
- Trigger actions in Homey when temp changes
- Let Homey set the temp or on/of state of the thermostat
- It must work good, withou Homey too (good interface and good Android and Ios app)

Comments

• For the Nest: 
    1 yes 
    2 yes, no (on of state not allowed by Nest)
    3 yes
  • @Robebar The latest Nest looks like a nice thermostat with a lot of options.

But when I look at the Homey-app and in the Api-documentation of Nest it looks like there are a lot more options to control / read. Humidity, leaf-status, mode-status, sunlight detection, time to temperature, error-states, Home&away state, ETA, energy usages and a lot more. Hope Athom will expand the Nest-app..
  • @keverjeroen I just had a discussion with Nest the other week, and they do not allow the leaf (away ) function to be controlled trough 3th party.. 

• Thermosmart works good for me, 
    not everything is available using the API (still use the Schedule from Thermosmart )
    these are the current functions of the App: 

• ATAG ONE, works fine by me. I have developed the app and has several handy capabilities. The app for iOS and Android also works fine. Simple interface but everything you need.

• I am very happy with Toon, the only thing that's missing is the homey app :(
  • I hope ur not gonna let the thermostat decide what brand of heater u choose.
    ATAG one seems nice, if u have an ATAG heater also.
    Best first pick a brand of heater and then choose a thermostat that will fit that heater.
    Am a NEFIT guy. But the NEFIT easy will only have its full benefits when u also have a NEFIT heater which will support all those features. U can connect him with a Intergas if u like with the Easy Connect but u cannot use all the features.
    Just my opinion.
  • I'm using Heatmiser (in multiple rooms) with Floor heating.

1. Yes, triggers on if set temp changes and when temp in room changes
    2. Yes (you can set the temperature, not set the anti-frost mode)
    3. Yes, normal iOS, Android and Windows Phone app
  • Opentherm gateway works. 
  • edited December 2016
    As stated above there are several great options - all integrate well with Homey. So you might focus on what is best for your home. Do you need a solution able to control multiple rooms separately? If so Honeywell Evo seems a good option, if not I would prob choose Nest or ThermoSmart.
  • WRosWRos Member
    edited December 2016
    At  my home is a evohome system working. Zone control in 6 zones. All the temperatures are record in insights. The evohome app is working since April. I have never a issue in homey with this system.

It's even possible to use ifttt with evohome. 
    The installation of evohome it's very simply. The 6 zones take for my 1 evening hobbying.
    1, 2, 3: yes
  • Wow, what a response. I guess evey populair thermostat has somewhat the same functionalities in combination with Homey. Ofcourse i'm first going to find the right heater, and then a thermostat. But I don't want a heater that onley supports it's own brand of thermostat. I prefer a opentherm heater.
  • Wow, what a response. I guess evey populair thermostat has somewhat the same functionalities in combination with Homey. Ofcourse i'm first going to find the right heater, and then a thermostat. But I don't want a heater that onley supports it's own brand of thermostat. I prefer a opentherm heater.
    The ATAG heater I have supports both. Opentherm and own protocol.
  • Has anyone a good alternative for the Thermosmart ? 

I am having some trouble with it and am looking for a good OpenTherm , Modulating, Self-Learing *, Connected  Thermostat  that Homey Supports.

I don't like the on/of thermostats
    I don't like the thermostats with subscriptions
    * for self-learning the auto pre-heating on schedule is ok for me, no " artificial intelligence " on user behavior ;-) 

Any suggestions with Homey experiences are welcome!
  • i am using benext heating control.

Just place it between your existing opentherm thermostat and 'cv-ketel', you can control the heating by thermostat but also by Homey, Homey can read the temp etc.

Works fine with default' old fashing' openthem thermostat, this unit makes your non smart thermostat  smart one :)
  • What is your trouble with Thermosmart? Using it for years now, never had an issue.
  • Yes, happy Thermosmart user here, too...  :p
    Curious what is making you to consider migrating!
    Since january 2017 I have a new Atag heater with an Atag one thermostat. It works great in combination with homey!
  • Nefit easy!
  • I was a very happy Thermosmart  (TS) user.. one from the very early days just after the crowdfunding. 
    And like here they had to make a few steps (Bugs, interface glitches, no prommised self learning in the first year....)

All fixed, and happy.
    Until I had some problems with my Ziggo WiFi....
    Couple of times a year it was cold as the TS  forgot to keep the loaded programs running whenever the Wifi or Internet connection was interrupted. 
    Actually that are 2 problems: 
    1) Thermosmart should keep running the last program. 
    2) The WiFi /internet was working for everything except 1  or 2 devices. Fixed it by resetting the Ziggo Router. (Sometimes, a tablet, Homey, NetAtmo or Thermosmart that can't connect but the rest worked) And I blame Ziggo. 

After some calls with Ziggo and my 2nd router I gave up on getting Ziggo routers to work, I requested Ziggo to let it Bridge. I bought a Ubiquity Unify AP and Ubiquity Edge Router. Migrated my uniq SSID and WPA2 keys to the new AP and everything worked ....except Thermosmart,

Tested every possible option to let it work, but no succes. ( I am not the only one, see https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/51354837#51354837 )
    The Ziggo Router in Bridge mode provides no Wifi, so Changed the TS  to connect to an old spare Fritz!Box Router that serves as a AP for a small part of the house. 

It looked like it worked, until I see several times the TS  disconnects and starts a reset loop. (approx. 5 minutes) doesn't get a IP adres, resets, forgets it's program. doesn't heat. etc. 
    The TS is the only device connected to that legacy AP / SSID, so I connect my Tablet/Laptop of Phone an see Wifi works, Internet works... everything works.  O wait, the TS comes online and works again. incident? no a dozen times, no exception when a tablet or something else connects TS works again. 

But my Tablets, Laptop etc are made for 5GHz like my Unifi AP.

Sometimes when I came Home Thermosmart was paused.... Connected but Paused. 
    Was Homey doing something?  investigation, configured logging,... No Homey wasn't it. I am sure. 
    So regardless, I disconnected the TS from Homey.
    Now I suspect the Thermosmart to reconnect after above reset loop but stay in pauze. (not sure.)

I tried resetting and connecting to the Unifi AP yesterday as both Thermosmart and Unifi have had firmware upgrades, but My Windows 10 nor Android can connect to the AdHoc Thermosmart network. not even after using the old provided connection batchfile that enables AdHoc networks on W10. 

The last year I see sometimes all LEDs lighting up while no one is touching the TS. (and no Homey, App or anything else) This gives me the thoughts of ghost behavour.

After many many hours testing debugging and I guess   more than 20 times (written) contact with thermosmart support I come to the conclusion:
    • TS can't connect to my brand new Unify AP;
    • TS cant keep an connection reliable to an old 2.4 GHz FritzBox (while the AP keeps working with my tablet, and the TS reconnects at that moment);
    • TS Reset loop: No connection is one, but the Reset loop throws away its running program. (this makes keeping the program only running for 5 minuets as stated here  https://support.thermosmart.com/en/support/solutions/articles/6000060949-what-happens-if-i-lose-the-internet-connection-   thats almost useless. )
    • Ghost behavior lighting up the LEDs 
    • Sometimes spontaneous switching to pause. (maybe related and after the reset loop?)
    • Windows 10 can't reconnect to the Ad-Hoc to reconfigure so by resetting it to factory default is is effectively bricked for me.   (Don't have a Windows 7 here anymore. or a MAC or so. )

As I Reset it but I can't re-connect it to my Wifi  I  replaced the old Remeha Thermostat and look around for something that maybe works better.
    I am not sure what to do. When above problems where solved I definitely would go for the Thermosmart. 
  • I've had a Fritz with TS for 1,5 years and now a netgear, no problems at all. The most reliable device with Homey up till now. Did you simply try a new TS? Didn't TS offer you this option?
  • bvdbos said:
    I've had a Fritz with TS for 1,5 years and now a netgear, no problems at all. The most reliable device with Homey up till now. Did you simply try a new TS? Didn't TS offer you this option?
    When my GF send a p*sed mail they offered to send a router, it crossed a mail from me that I would try an other AP and now I am back at that. Yesterday reset my Thermosmart it and now I can't connect to the ad hoc Thermosmart network. (Ad Hoc is Not supported anymore fro Windows 8.1,  I discovert it and sent them the info on that issue and Microsoft KB article 2931166 in march 2014. Bu I don't have an Windows XP notebook around anymore....)

• If you're using radiators, the Evohome is the ONLY system that offers a REAL benefit. That said, it's not the prettiest, so you pay your money and take your chances :)
  • I'm a happy Thermosmart user too!
  • MarkSwift said:
    If you're using radiators, the Evohome is the ONLY system that offers a REAL benefit. That said, it's not the prettiest, so you pay your money and take your chances :)
    Why is that? Isn't it pretty much the same functionality as the Tado zone heating system (which looks a lot better).
  • Is there somebody busy with a app for the remeha etwist?

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited September 2017
    Slofware said:

Is there somebody busy with a app for the remeha etwist?

There is no public API or even IFTTT integration. Pretty much no way to make an app for it. I emailed Remeha about it, they told me they do have plans but can't tell when it will happen. Not any time soon I guess.
  • Phuturist said:
    Slofware said:

Is there somebody busy with a app for the remeha etwist?

There is no public API or even IFTTT integration. Pretty much no way to make an app for it. I emailed Remeha about it, they tell they do have plans but can't tell when it will happen. Not any time soon I guess.

Oke thanks, that's what i think stupid of remeha because people will now buy something else.

• I was a very happy Thermosmart  (TS) user.. one from the very early days just after the crowdfunding. 
    And like here they had to make a few steps (Bugs, interface glitches, no prommised self learning in the first year....)

All fixed, and happy.
    Until I had some problems ........
    [......]
    I am not sure what to do. When above problems where solved I definitely would go for the Thermosmart. 
    Yesterday I Received  a replacement Thermosmart, I will try Again. 
    The newer one is already installed, all Setup-problems with the Ad-Hoc setup-networking are over in this newer revision with newer firmware. It also connected without problems to my Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro AccessPoint  wher that wasn't possible with the old revision.
    I will report back if this Thermosmart stays stable ... 
  • Nest works fine for me. Heating is switched off automatically when I leave the house, and goes back on when someone gets home. This works great out of the box, so already without Homey.
    I als have the Nest smoke detector, then you get some additional features, like an extra home/away sensor in the house, and the smoke detector automatically switches off the heating by default when it detects CO or smoke.
    Also the Nest let the Hue lights blink in case there's CO or smoke detected.
    And for me because there's no Luxaflex / Powerview app in Homey yet, I need the Nest thermostat to control my Luxaflex blinds if the temperature becomes too high Nest can set the blinds to the sunblock setting.