This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[PUBLISHED] Harmony Hub App (v1.0.4)

Comments

• Hub still connected @MrDutchfighter
  • The 'rewrite' is done, but I haven't been able to solve the connection issue. I do think I've found the "issue" with the connection though.

When I install the app (https://github.com/robertraaijmakers/com.logitech.harmony.hub) and run it, the triggers and commands seem to run fine. When I open the Harmony app on the phone, the action cards still seems to be working, but the triggers break. And after a while (randomly) also the action cards seems to fail. So it looks like the Logitech Harmony Hub can only handle one "application" streaming the status of the device.

What I still want to test is the following (and maybe some of you can test this at home to?):
    - Open the harmony app on two (or three) mobile devices and see if the status changes are pushed to all the devices, all the time;
    - Try to figure out why the action cards stop working, and if this is related to the fact that the Harmony hub app is opened (and thus the connection is lost).

For now, the only 'solution' to this problem seems to be to set-up a new connection to the Harmony Hub for every action done. This feels like a lot of overhead (and will introduce some latency) and will also break the reliability of the trigger cards :(

Suggestions, findings, app crashes, working (open source) solutions on other platforms and wild theories are more then welcome. I'm out of town for the coming days and the holidays, but will read along and make some time after Easter!
  • @MrDutchfighter: I started/stopped an activity and changed brightness of a Hue lamp with the Harmony hub app open on iPad & iPhone. The action gets refreshed on the other device almost instantly.
  • madmaxmadmax Member
    edited April 2017
    I upload version 1.0.5 using developer tools and get an error and the app crash:

Stack trace:

Error: Cannot find module 'express'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:325:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:276:25)
    at Module.require (module.js:353:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:12:17)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/drivers/hub/driver.js:5:15)
    at Module._compile (module.js:409:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:416:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:343:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:300:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:353:17)

Exit code: 1
    Exit signal: null
  • madmax said:
    I upload version 1.0.5 using developer tools and get an error and the app crash:
    You can temporarily fix this by running npm-install express when you're in the com.logitech.harmony.hub folder. Bit strange though that I haven't checked in all the files... Will do it when I get home to my laptop somewhere in the course of next week.
  • Ok thanks. I'll try it
  • After weeks I have finally been able to install the Harmony App again...

I had removed it some weeks ago, in order to reinstall a new version. After the removal, a new install was not possible. I tried via the App store and CLI. Never worked, always ended with an error.

Today I downloaded the latest version from GIT and used CLI to install; this time it installed without an error!
    That is the first step ;-)

Unfortunately it crashes instantly after install of the App, even without adding my Harmony Huh to Homey. But, a small step forward :-)
  • Eternity said:
    After weeks I have finally been able to install the Harmony App again...

I had removed it some weeks ago, in order to reinstall a new version. After the removal, a new install was not possible. I tried via the App store and CLI. Never worked, always ended with an error.

Today I downloaded the latest version from GIT and used CLI to install; this time it installed without an error!
    That is the first step ;-)

Unfortunately it crashes instantly after install of the App, even without adding my Harmony Huh to Homey. But, a small step forward :-)
    What Github version did you install? All works smooth here with the older 0.3.4.
  • phbphb Member
    edited April 2017
    @Phuturist  where can i find the older version 0.3.4? I want to try that one  :)
  • phbphb Member
    Nevermind i found it ;-)
  • madmax said:
    You can temporarily fix this by running npm-install express when you're in the com.logitech.harmony.hub folder. Bit strange though that I haven't checked in all the files... Will do it when I get home to my laptop somewhere in the course of next week.
    MrDutchfighter,
    i have try it but it does not work. 
  • OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited April 2017
    On my Homey,  with public firmware 1.2.0, I am still running Harmony Hub 1.04 which is the public version from Athom Apps.

Harmony Hub is running fine for weeks already. Not a single crash! (running experimental-versions of the 1.2.0 firmware for a few weeks).
    Sometimes it would not react because the hardware hub seems to fall asleep after a while. I solved this by creating a flow that sends a command to the app every 30 seconds... So Harmony Hub suffers from insomnia now.

I get the impression that the Harmony Hub crash for other people might be caused by some combination with one or more other apps.

To check your apps... here's my current crashless system:
    NOTE: You might notice the unknown app LEDitor... It's the work-title of a project I'm working on... not available yet.

• OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited April 2017
    Just a pop-up in my head:

I used to have regular Harmony Hub crashes in the past... I also used to have Plex installed.
    It's not said that Plex might be a cause, but it's a difference in the apps that I notice with my crash-past.
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited April 2017
    @OpenMind_NL the latest app store version does not crash for me as well but the connection kept getting lost after a couple of hours. I'm sure your keep alive flow prevents this so that is a workaround for most people.
  • Just a pop-up in my head:

I used to have regular Harmony Hub crashes in the past... I also used to have Plex installed.
    It's not said that Plex might be a cause, but it's a difference in the apps that I notice with my crash-past.
    Never used plex with homey, used Harmony hub from the beginning never had any problems til  version <1.00
    Now it chrashes all the time (even with a keep a live flow)
  • I've installed the app already for a while. It doesn't crash and is just active.

But nothing happens. I created a flow to trigger actions based on "Activity Start" or "Activity Stop", etc. But nothing happens at all. No Activity start/stop/change seems to reach or trigger Homey.

I reinstalled / inactivated / activated....no change.

I'm using v.1.0.4 of the App and Hub Software version 4.12.36.

Any idea what could be wrong?
  • and if U use a flow without " Activity start/stop" like:

• PaulKesselsPaulKessels Member
    edited April 2017
    Something like this.

Just leaving the "Start Activity" and "Send push message" doesn't do anything. My expectation is that any activity being activated on the Harmony triggers the flow.
  • Something like this.

Just leaving the "Start Activity" and "Send push message" doesn't do anything. My expectation is that any activity being activated on the Harmony triggers the flow.
    ok, I discovered that the flow IS triggered when using the Harmony App.

But it doesn't react to the remote control itself (companion model). Is that a known issue?
  • Really strange that it seems so random where it does and does not work, because I have a similar flow (which is even a bit more complex I think) and that works fine (see below). Difference is that I have the 'contains' card and not the 'is exactly', perhaps that has something to do with it?

I also have the workaround by sending a command, but not every 30 seconds though, every hour is good enough!

• Julian said:

I also have the workaround by sending a command, but not every 30 seconds though, every hour is good enough!

You mean Homey sending a dummy command to Harmony?
  • Julian said:

You mean Homey sending a dummy command to Harmony?
    yep
  • spoellyspoelly Member
    How is the development going @MrDutchfighter?
  • Due to the minimal feedback that I got and the lack of time I didn't look into the app anymore lately. Will try to make some time in the upcoming weeks.
  • spoellyspoelly Member
    Ok did not know you were waiting on feedback. Saw your post on that you didn't checked in all the files so i was waiting on that. Would be glad to test some things.
  • Yes, I can help testing too! 
  • Eternity said:
    Yes, I can help testing too! 
    Me 2!!
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    Don't mind testing here either :)

It's working OK for now, I use the Candy app to restart the app every 2 hours.  Not the cleanest solution though :tongue:
  • edited May 2017
    Oké, thanks all! I just downloaded the app clean from my own Github branch. I saw some node modules are out of date, so I updated them. The branch can be found here: https://github.com/robertraaijmakers/com.logitech.harmony.hub

Please note, the version number should be: 1.1.0

What I would really love to see (as I hear that the problem is probably with the connection being lost after, somewhere between 1 minute to 2 hours) is that when someone starts the Harmony app (on Homey) and after that opens the Logitech app on an tablet (or phone), if the Homey app then still keeps working (and receiving the state changed events). And all other findings of course. I believe in all conspiracy theories :) I just hope it will lead to something concrete in the end!