This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Needs voice recognition an working internet connection?

I'm only very curios about the way voice recognition works. If i speak to Homey, will Homey need internet to interpreter what i say, or is this also working without internet? I hope for the last, because not all internet connections are always that stable. I think my wife makes homey an bouncing ball if its not working because of an internet connection failure...

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Well, you do need an internet connection for Homey to listen to you. However, when your internet is down and you are at home, you can still use the app :)
  • Ok.... That's :(

What happens if Google and/or Microsoft stops with providers there free service? Will Homey become useles?
    We're not using Google anymore, but wit.ai. And if that one stops, then we'll push a firmware update with a new service :-)
  • I thought i read somewhere that you were using some Google service incombination with an Microsoft service.
    But great to hear your using only one service and it could be replace by an update.
    That combination was used in my -personal- early version! :-)
  • And translation, how is that done?
    Looked at wit.ai (great service) and Dutch is not supported, so there is some additional translation needed.

I tried to translate some basic sentences from Dutch to English and pushed it into wit.ai, but the didn't understand it :-)
    wit.ai supports dutch :)
  • ok, google and there documentation is speaking about (serveral) natural langauge(s). But i could not find which languages. Great that wit.ai support Dutch :-)
  • Maybe you can cache the, by the user most used, commands?
    For all other commands issue a voice output that internet is not available and maybe if the user requested additional info Homey tells the user there isn't a WiFi connection available or WiFi network is available but Homey isn't able to connect to it.

That would be great UX :-)
    Great idea! That's definitely something for the long term.
This discussion has been closed.