This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Hoe exactly does homey work with Spotify?

Comments

• We have been placed on a waiting list of some sorts, but have not received any update yet, unfortunately. I have asked them again for the status of our request ;)

• Thanks! :)

• Thanks Stefan! Anything the community could do to push this a little ?

• Emile said:
    Homey will automatically tell sonos to listen to Homey's audio stream, which will stop whatever was playing on the sonos. We figure that you'd want to use Homey for (spotify, soundcloud, etc.) playback instead of sonos.

This Homey audio streams contains......? Spotify? Random music?

• Whatever you tell Homey to send, I guess.. :)

• Do any of you have experience with APIs for music services? I have heard about a reverse engineered python library for google music. Never realized the music streaming services would be so restrictive.

• Is there any new information on Spotify connect? (:

• Hi @Emile / @Stefan,

Any news about Spotify Connect?

Most 'new' receivers already support this and even cheap streamers like Gramofon, Chromecast Audio and a few others too. I personally think it's a must to be able to control Spotify through Spotify Connect via speech/homey app.

Maybe you guys could also do something to control Tidal by speech/homey app since that's the only hi-res music service with a decent amount of content if you ask me :)

• Spotify only gives access to their "connect" api to selected partners, that is why Gramofon and Chromecast support it. For more then two years people have been asking for a public connect api (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Publish-the-Spotify-Connect-Wireless-speaker-API/idi-p/520890). So while everyone can consider it a "must" Athom is completely depended on Spotify to either release a public api or give homey access.

In the mean time for the Geeks among us, there is an unofficial connect api (which works quite well on a raspberry) here https://github.com/Fornoth/spotify-connect-web

• I disagree with the words 'completely dependent'. This is not true, it is ALSO a matter of how well Athom plays this in terms of their contact with Spotify. Maybe largely dependent, but their is ofcourse a lot of influence that Athom can apply. The way you describe it, it seems like Athom has no part in this at all. This is not true.

• Athomey said:
    I disagree with the words 'completely dependent'. This is not true, it is ALSO a matter of how well Athom plays this in terms of their contact with Spotify. Maybe largely dependent, but their is ofcourse a lot of influence that Athom can apply. The way you describe it, it seems like Athom has no part in this at all. This is not true.

How much influence do you think a startup company has in a global enterprise as Spotify? As is said a couple of times here Athom is on their "waiting" list and besides asking for updates there is nothing they can do. Just as all we can do is ask when homey is shipped, we might consider ourselves important but we have no influence on the actual date.

• If/when the Homey community gets large, maybe then Spotify will consider.
    Only applying pressure to Spotify will not bring us anywhere...

• Is it possible to stream Spotify from homey to speakers through bluetooth?

• Stefan said:
    We have been placed on a waiting list of some sorts, but have not received any update yet, unfortunately. I have asked them again for the status of our request ;)

Any news?

• Yeah, @Stefan, any news?

• Indeed curious to know the latest status/developments.

• Okay, so Spotify is not the easiest company to get ahold of. Firstly, we tried to get in touch via the contact forms on their site, but they never got back to us. As mentioned before, later, we were supposed to be placed on a waiting list, according to our contact at Spotify who we (finally) found then. However, upon checking up, it seems our contact does not work there anymore, and we still have not heard anything from the list we're supposed to be placed on. We are also not provided with an alternative contact person. I have tried getting in touch with someone else at Spotify regarding connect, but so far no luck. I will do a new call/stalk round soon. If any of you have an 'in' that we can use, let us know ;)

We're working on it, but they're not making it easy.

• @Stefan You might be lucky with this contact. ;)
    Really hope it will be arranged soon though. Spotify support is a feature not to be missed imho!

• Maybe you find some information or what you are looking for here https://developer.spotify.com/support/

• @Stefan, did you use the general contact form or the commercial partners contact form. The latter can be used specifically for enquiries about integrating Spotify into a product. I would find it strange if the do not respond to this.

https://partners.spotify.com/contact/?source=audio-hardware-companies

• I did use the latter (a few times already), but as I said - will try again this week, maybe they've had some outages or something. I don't know.

• Stefan said:
    I did use the latter (a few times already), but as I said - will try again this week, maybe they've had some outages or something. I don't know.

Try the Annual sales (EUR) at 100€+ M ;) Perhaps they'll read it then.

• Ok. Im a spotify fan. But if I need to switch to Deezer to get integration, I'll do that.
    they seem to have a public API: https://developers.deezer.com
  • Athom is creating a Spotify app already, the main thing missing is Spotify Connect functionality. I think this is essential for the app to be off value but appearantly Spotify is not very cooperative in giving access to the Spotify Connect API to smaller startup companies. A shame though as I really like Spotify.
  • I can't believe the  Spotify app isn't already released... It appears that all of the items in the demo (Spotify, Plex) were in fact not operational, especially given the Plex app also relied on the community! Overall these few points do not impress me, however, I'm still looking forward to receiving my Homey and cannot wait to see what the future holds!
  • As Spotify has a web-api an app should be possible, shouldn't it?
    https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    As Spotify has a web-api an app should be possible, shouldn't it?
    https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/
    That's only for managing playlists, not playing music. For playback there's libspotify, which is only available non-commercially, and Spotify Connect, which requires a partnership.
  • Emile said:
    That's only for managing playlists, not playing music. For playback there's libspotify, which is only available non-commercially, and Spotify Connect, which requires a partnership.
    I am confident things will be sorted out eventually, once Spotify gets up off its ass and sets up some sort of agreement with Athom to allow the Spotify Connect functionality to work out of the box in the Homey.

But, if not, I would be interested to know if for example that non-commercial library could be added by a Homey user by him/herself as a plug-in module, adhering to the non-commercial restriction on it, since it would then be used by a user purely in a non-commercial way, earning Athom no money since it's an after-purchase free optional addition, and not an actual part of the Homey package itself.

At this point we're probably too early to yammer on about this. We have to do our part as a community to bitch to Spotify about getting back to Athom about the Spotify Connect integration request, and have to give Athom some time to work things out with them.

I just wish I had more patience.  :D
  • JonJon Member
    Bump!
    Any news on the Spotify Connect integration yet? (@Emile)
  • JonJon Member
    Or perhaps @Stefan will be able to tell more?