This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Massive problems with Z-wave

G4nd41fG4nd41f Member
edited November 2016 in Questions & Help
Until a couple of days ago all my z-wave stuff (5x Fibaro Motion Sensors, 1x Fibaro Roller Shutter 2,  1x Greenwave Power Switch, 1x Danfoss LC-13) was working fine. Now I have all kind of problems:
-Motion sensors do not report motion.
-Motion sensors do report motion, but do not stopp reporting motion
-Some motion sensor cards do not show illumination or temperature values
-Greenwave Switch does not react
-Roller Shutter 2 does not react
-E5-Error from the Danfoss (I know that everybody else is having this as well)
-Unable to add new devices (Homey shows "Please wait until z-wave is ready", then after some time "Another pairing session is already in progress")

Sometimes it starts working fine very sudden, that one or more of the problems above occure again.

Many devices are direct line of sight of Homey without any walls in between. Some have concrete walls in between. Firmware is 0.10.9

I tried rebooting Homey, which does not seem to help. I just performed a factory reset of the Z-wave unit, but I did not help either. I do not want to rest my whole Homey because I spent a lot of work on my flows.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Suggestions? Right now Z-wave is not usable for me...

Comments

• My Fibaro door/windows sensors have never worked properly. I installed a wallplug in a meter distance from the sensors, but still, sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't. The wallplug reacts good. I was thinking the mesh-network has a problem.
    Have tried resetting the network and removing - adding all switches and sensors, but result is the same. (After resetting the network, I still had to remove all devices maually, before I could re-pair them)
    Before resetting the network, I also got the "waiting for Z-Wave" when trying to add a new switch. After resetting the network it reacts faster, but the sensors still do not work reliable.
  • I've got the same problems. Fibaro motion sensor, double switch and roller shutter. Sometimes it works just fine. But suddenly it doesn't work and the light does go on but doesn't switch back off after a couple of minutes (according to the flow)
  • Did have bad response on my fibaro door sensor that has been working good before,  did see that cpu load was high ( sunset app did use 80%) after disabled app zwave did work again.
  • djesko said:
    Did have bad response on my fibaro door sensor that has been working good before,  did see that cpu load was high ( sunset app did use 80%) after disabled app zwave did work again.
    @djesko Where can I see the CPU load? Under Settings-->System I could only find Memory and Storage usage...
  • fredsky said:
    (After resetting the network, I still had to remove all devices maually, before I could re-pair them)
    Same here as well.
  • G4nd41f said:
    djesko said:
    Did have bad response on my fibaro door sensor that has been working good before,  did see that cpu load was high ( sunset app did use 80%) after disabled app zwave did work again.
    @djesko Where can I see the CPU load? Under Settings-->System I could only find Memory and Storage usage...
    did install dev mode and then you get cpu / mem use on apps , under system can you see avgload first set is cpu load 5 min ( i think)  when i have zwave problem load is 1.6

• not everybody has e5 on danfoss. working great here. just needs a battery replacement every 3 days  :D

sounds more like youre mesh network is in trouble.
    re pairing a device triggers mesh healing but should also be triggerd when in trouble. i think homey still has trouble somehow with the healing part
  • If you factory resetted your z-wave chip I guess all (z-wave) devices have to be removed and re-added. 
  • djesko said:
    did install dev mode and then you get cpu / mem use on apps , under system can you see avgload first set is cpu load 5 min ( i think)  when i have zwave problem load is 1.6

@djesko And how do I install dev mode? Thanks a lot in advance :).
  • viktor said:

I did install node js on my computer as shown and logged into my athom account as shown in the video above. What package do I need to install to see the cpu load? Sorry for asking so much :blush: 

• G4nd41f said:
    viktor said:

I did install node js on my computer as shown and logged into my athom account as shown in the video above. What package do I need to install to see the cpu load? Sorry for asking so much :blush: 

You need to install an app manually instead of through the app store.
    Just download an app from Github and install it with 'athom project --install'
  • Fire69 said:
    You need to install an app manually instead of through the app store.
    Just download an app from Github and install it with 'athom project --install'
    Okay, I installed an the Lightwave App as shown in the video and now my Homey should be in dev mode? It only shows under apps that the specific app has been installed with the developer tools. Nothing else changed. Did I do something wrong?
  • You should have a new option in Settings now.

Dev.JPG 27.4K
  • If you refresh the page you'll have an extra option in the left menu...
  • I had to reboot homey in order to see it, just refreshing the browser did not help ;). Thanks a lot :)  Now I will try to figure out which of my apps does get z-wave stuck...
  • G4nd41fG4nd41f Member
    edited November 2016
    All apps seem to be using almost no CPU load, but right now Z-wave is working at least for my Greenwave switch and my Roller Shutter...So it has to be something else. I guess I will make an issue on Github for the motion sensors if there isn't any yet...
  • I have the same problem, also since couple of days. No intensive CPU load on any of the installed apps. Zwave works when Homey is restarted for about 30 min and then gets extreme slow and after 1 hour unresponsive. Not sure what is going on??
  • The only thing to notice is the System Memory (118.48 MB), looks to high IMHO ...
  • Right now, Z-wave is working perfect , even the Fibaro Motion Sensors are reporting...I will check the CPU load once it gets stuck again...
  • I have the same problem, also since couple of days. No intensive CPU load on any of the installed apps. Zwave works when Homey is restarted for about 30 min and then gets extreme slow and after 1 hour unresponsive. Not sure what is going on??
    Disabling the zwave apps + restart + enabling the apps 1 by 1 did the trick. Been running steady now +24h
  • The motion sensors stopped working properly again. No app has any CPU load. The generall system load is around 0.7 or something. So I think it might be related to this: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/1030

• I am experiencing a lot of z-wave issues as well (a side of random crashing apps). I've installed the app "Candy" now to let Homey perform a daily reboot at 05:00 AM and for now most devices seems to keep working. Some days I cannot open my fibaro powered sun blinds, but the day after (After a new reboot) they work again. Some for some lights, one day they will work, some day they won't.

I am wondering if it might be a Homey Memory issue. I see system + apps consuming a lot of memory. Might be the Linux kernel is killing processes when the memory load becomes to high which causes unexpected behaviour?

Personally I think it's ridicalous Athom installed only 512mb of RAM anyway. I am only running apps for the various devices that I own (multiple vendors so multiple apps) and memory load is always pretty high, which concerns me a lot.

I don't have a lot of flows, 10 I think, so i'm prett sure that's not causing the high memory load for "system".
  • I am also experiencing Z-wave "stability" issues... after half a day, I'm no longer able to switch on my lamps connected to one of the Greenwave Powernodes... Z-wave shows to hang at "ProcesSendData" only solved by rebooting Homey: see my original Github issue

In my current setup, several lamps are triggered by motion and or light intensity from one of the two Fibaro motion sensors.. A closer look to the data (download, Insights does not show this) as reported by the motion sensors, show some erratic data reporting; not corresponding to to the settings (Lux threshold @ 20 Lux, Lux interval @ 600 seconds).
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:03 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:05 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:27 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:34 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:38 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:43 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    Wed Nov 16 2016 15:41:45 GMT+0100 (CET),44.5
    See my new Github issues on this erratic reporting from the motion sensor.

Since I was expecting the motion sensor to work along the settings as set, each change in light intensity (the erratic behavior as shown above), would trigger a switch on (or off) command to the lamp... which can explain the deadlock in ProcessSendData...

I now included an additional AND card to only send a switch on command if the lamp is off:

I will check in the next days if this solves my stability issues... perhaps a check if you have similar issues (if so, please contribute to these issues)
  • blusserblusser Member
    edited November 2016
    IMHO the problem is most likely related to the greenwave powernode (6) as I see a lot of posts above mention this device.
    I suffer from the same issues but it's stable as soon as I disable the greenwave app (and reboot once).

So if you suffer from a freezing system and you have a greenwave powernode, please try to disable this app first.
    just my 2 cents..

See also Emile comment about this device : 

https://github.com/athombv/com.greenwavesystems/issues/2#issuecomment-237943465

and see also the open issues : https://github.com/athombv/com.greenwavesystems/issues

• No issues with the powernode 6 for me. Z-wave is stable. Up and running since last firmware update (0.10.9)
  • maybe it's a firmware issue or a difference hardware revision of the powernode 6 ?

let's first check whether or not this issues are related to the greenwave powernode, if so, then we can focus what the differences are between setup A (stable) and setup B (unstable).

If everyone who has stability problems let us know if there is a greenwave powernode is involved and if so, if disabling the app and rebooting resolves the issue (please note that installing a new app version enables the app again).

• I have 4x powernode 1 and had freezing issues with zwave. It looks to be stable now. I did restart with all zwave apps disabled and started them 1 by 1 with greenwave being last.
  • Ok, just had a freeze again after 27h stable. Just before I noticed the freeze I did change a greenwave device into a new zone and changed the name. Within 15 minutes Zwave freezed and I could see the system mem growing to 116MB.

I disabled the greenwave app and restarted Homey. After reboot I enabled Zwave and all works stable again.

So it looks like there is an issue with the Greenwave app. Can someone also confirm?
  • nitehawknitehawk Member
    edited November 2016
    I have the same issues with zwave and the Greenwave App.

I have 3x Powernode 6, I have changed the polling intervalls as advised on this forum but still zwave freezes after a couple of hours.

After disabeling the Greenwave app and a reboot of Homey my zwave network was stable for the last week.