This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Can the voice command 'okay homey" be customized

Is there any way to replace the default voice command trigger "okay homey" by a custom phrase like "hi homey"

Comments

• I want to change it to "ok mottebal"  :p  ;)
  • Nope, not possible, and don't think it will be in the future.
    They paid big money to have it sampled by lots of people so it be will understood easily by Homey.
  • Not just about big money but also the processing has to be done on Homey and has to work all the time. It took months of training and adjusting before the trigger was as great as it is now...
  • It would be sooo cooool to be able to customize it to Kit (Knight Rider) or Computer (Star Trek) or Jarvis (Ironman and my favorite) or Red Queen (Resident Evil). 

My wife would also love such a feature! 
  • I think the only measure of 'customization' that we can expect, is that you can also address your Homey with "ok honey"... mine will listen to that just fine   ;)
  • @Erwin1 You mean Homey's voice? That's something completely different from the trigger of "OK, Homey"...
  • @Erwin1 You mean Homey's voice? That's something completely different from the trigger of "OK, Homey"...
    @BasVanDenBosch No, I meant the trigger "OK Homey" to activate the voice commands for homey. It would be cool to customize that. Also changing the actual voice would be cool, but that's not what this specific topic was about...
  • rdomingo said:
    Is there any way to replace the default voice command trigger "okay homey" by a custom phrase like "hi homey"
    I want this feature soooooooo much!!!
  • olive said:
    How much are you willing to pay for it? For the reasons mentioned by @Fire69 and @BasVanDenBosch , it will cost both a lot of money, and a lot of time to make it possible for Homey to trigger on anything other than "okay homey". If you really want it so much that you're willing to pay for that, then they might consider it...
  • Bumblez said:
    olive said:
    How much are you willing to pay for it? For the reasons mentioned by @Fire69 and @BasVanDenBosch , it will cost both a lot of money, and a lot of time to make it possible for Homey to trigger on anything other than "okay homey". If you really want it so much that you're willing to pay for that, then they might consider it...
    For few months was possible to change the keyword and i haved no probelms with this, and why i must pay? I (or we) paid so much. :p
  • When has it been possible to change the keyword?? As far as I know this has never been possible?
  • Fire69 said:
    When has it been possible to change the keyword?? As far as I know this has never been possible?
    You sleep :(
  • Bumblez said
    it will cost both a lot of money, and a lot of time to make it possible for Homey to trigger on anything other than "okay homey".
    How exactly do you know that it would cost a lot of money and or time? Are you on of the developers of otherwise involved people at Athom? Or are you guessing/assuming? 

And would it really be so hard to incorporate the 'voice learning software' into Homey (again) in order to have Homey recognize my voice coupled to a new trigger word/phrase? I couldn't care less if Homey doesn't respond to let's say my neighbors voice... So Athom shouldn't have to spend money having a lot of people say different trigger phrases in order to learn them to Homey. 

The only reason that Athom MIGHT have spent money on having Homey recognize a lot of voices saying "ok, Homey" is so that Homey actually responds to a lot of voices out of the box. But if I "train"  it to recognize my voice coupled to another trigger phrase that shouldn't cost Athom anything other than making the piece software that lets the customer use a customized trigger phrase. 

And obviously I want Athom to first finish the current software to have Homey fully function bug-free.

But let's be fair, it would be a cool feature, right? I can't see why anyone would be against it... 
  • Lol, I even posted in that topic  :D
    But hey, that was over 1.5 years ago, my memory is't the best anymore...

Still, if you read the rest of that topic the posts just from December 2015 to April 2016.  And that's where I said also that it's not possible  ;)
    And you even asked in that topic how to change the keyword!?!?  :o
  • ??? The trigger has improved a lot since april and already then it was explained (to you) the trigger can't be changed. They planned to do this but that was long ago before Homey had any field testing...
  • oliveolive Member
    edited September 2016
    I dont know in which firmware version we trained the voice 10times and in this version was possible to change the keyword because i changed from ok homey to computer. I sayed again the voice recognition is not good.
  • @Erwin1
    You apparently haven't been around long enough to experience the earlier days, but there should be plenty of posts with complaints by people who did the voice training and then found out that Homey didn't respond to their voice at all!
     The voice training software, that allowed you to train Homey to listen to your voice (and your key phrase) did not work well at all, even for single-person households. That's why Athom disabled it, collected samples from lots of people saying "okay Homey" and paid good money to have a professional company turn all those samples into a pattern that was then built into the Homey software - and which now works quite well. If they just reactivate the original voice training software, and you train Homey to respond to, for example, "Yo Mate", and you then find out that Homey no longer responds to your voice at all, then I'm sure you will want Athom to fix that. So yes, if they resurrected that voice training software, they would also have to significantly improve it... which would definitely cost them time and money. As long as they don't need to send in voice samples and have that company generate new patterns for Homey, it may not be as much as the current "okay Homey" trigger has cost them, but then again, general voice training software definitely isn't easy, so it may also turn out that this would be even more expensive...

So, in short: unless they completely run out of issues to fix, and this somehow makes it to the top of their priority list, I don't think this is going to happen!

• Bumblez said:
    I don't think this is going to happen!

And with this sentence you've just nailed it: I'm not interested in what you think, I only care what the guys at Athom think about this feature!

And don't get me wrong, I really don't mean this in a offensive way so don't be offended!

As I already said, Athom should firstly focus on the current issues as they already are doing. But when they have made a stable and fully functioning software version fit for retail, then this could be one of a couple of cool extra features! 

So no reason to disagree with me or the fact that this feature would be cool... In the end it's only up to Athom if and/or when they would want to add this feature. 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited September 2016
    @Erwin1 ;
    Athom, already stated it is not going to happen. 
    Tried to search for a quote, couldn't find it unfortunately. 

So what @Bumblez is saying is completely true. 

I am definitely sure there will be no option to change the trigger word(s), it costed way to much effort and money to get it this good as it is now.

So you can stop hoping for it even in the future, it will not happen in this homey.
    Maybe in 5 to 10 years when there is a homey 2
  • Yep, can't imagine this happening with this Homey, does Apple provide in changing the name Siri?

I can't remember we could change the trigger, we could train Homey but we couldn't change (or did I block that already?)
  • I wasn't a First Batch-backer, but when the Geek-edition was delivered, it sure wasn't possible.
  • Too bad that it's possibly not going to be possible, but it sure would be cool. And that's all I'm saying.
  • Yep, can't imagine this happening with this Homey, does Apple provide in changing the name Siri?

I can't remember we could change the trigger, we could train Homey but we couldn't change (or did I block that already?)
    In the training you can give homey every name, you said ok homey 10 times and i said computer 10 times. Sorry for my english.

• Erwin1 said:
    Too bad that it's possibly not going to be possible, but it sure would be cool. And that's all I'm saying.
    That was possible for few months, that is fact!
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    We tried it but it worked like sh*t. So it won't happen in the future :) 
  • Emile said:
    We tried it but it worked like sh*t. So it won't happen in the future :) 
    Now this is the only opinion that counts! ;) 

• @Erwin1 if you don't care about other people's opinions (or even, as it seems, in other people providing background information on why something will not be happen), then you should not participate in a discussion on a public forum, but should instead have sent an email to Athom support directly.

@Emile ; thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully we can now put this topic to rest.

• @Bumblez jeez dude, get over yourself. If you don't like it when people don't just take your opinion as the only truth, then maybe you should reconsider posting on forums. 

The only thing I said was that it would be a cool feature and that IF it where possible (and that can ONLY be judged by Athom themselves, hence why I think that in THIS case only THEIR opinion counts) and when all other issues where fixed, that I would have liked to see the feature become a reality. That's all... 

Now one thing I do agree upon with you is that we can now put this unnecessarily weird discussion to rest. 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited October 2016
    *sigh* with that reply, you leave me no choice but to comment on this.

Erwin1 said:
    The only thing I said was that it would be a cool feature and that IF it where possible (and that can ONLY be judged by Athom themselves, hence why I think that in THIS case only THEIR opinion counts) and when all other issues where fixed, that I would have liked to see the feature become a reality. That's all... 

I have absolutely no problem with that part. But that definitely wasn't "The only thing" you said.

Erwin1 said:
    @Bumblez jeez dude, get over yourself. If you don't like it when people don't just take your opinion as the only truth, then maybe you should reconsider posting on forums. 

There's a very big difference between not caring about other people's opinions at all (and clearly stating this) and not agreeing with an opinion. I don't mind if you agree with my opinion or not... that's not what this is about.
    Let's put this in perspective... I went through the trouble of making a fairly large post, in which I explained to you the history of the feature, and why Athom had disabled it. I ended that post by saying I didn't think it would be enabled again. You ignored that entire post, and only focused on that very last sentence, to which you replied "...I'm not interested in what you think, I only care what the guys at Athom think...". Which, honestly, is just plain rude, even if you follow it up with "I really don't mean this in a offensive way".

But because of that last sentence, I decided to not reply at that time. But then you apparently felt the need to make another reference to this, with your comment "Now this is the only opinion that counts!". By itself, that last post wouldn't be a problem... but in the context of that first post, it's even more rude. And THAT is what I felt the need to respond to. So while I do understand the general idea of what you were trying to say ("The only thing you said..."), it's the way in which you phrased you replies, that are offensive. So in future, I hope you will learn to be more careful in how you phrase you replies.