This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Introducing new members

Comments

• Hi everyone, I'm Carlos, from Argentina. I'm an IT entrepreneur (my current company is dedicated to gamified e-learning solutions focused on data gathering through games and insights generation) from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I love automation and hope homey can be a great addition to my house (which has Hues, ambilight tvs, plantlink devices, flics, flircs, harmony remotes, 2 receivers with Kodi, raspberry pis with Squeezeplug and a Freenas server with sonarr, couchpotato, LMS, etc...).

• OverlordOverlord Member
    edited October 2015

Hi, I'm Paul (49) from the Netherlands

Currently working for Telenet As a GIS consultant and responsible for release management in the GIS environment.

Got 20+ years in hardware maintanance, sysadmin, installation of networks, customer support (1e, 2e and 3e line), troubleshooting, project management.
    Interestd in everything that can be automated.

Got pointed to this project by one of the Hall of Famers Peter Arisz and want to automate As much As can be in my house to make doing things intuïtive !

• Hi all,

I am Ruud, 28, and I Live in Roosendaal in the Netherlands. I Am a Hydrographic surveyor, so I work with advanced acoustic positioning systems offshore all over the world. I really like the idea that one can walk around the house and control basically everything by voice command. Really like Iron Man! I have started with buying Hi-Fi systems which can be controlled with apps on the smartphone, 2 Synology servers and some Ka-Ku stuff. At the moment I allready have a Homewizard, which is a nice device, but limited on functions and range. Some KAKU doesn't listen to me all the time. I hope Homey will be the great leap, in making the whole house sing and dance.

• mauricebmauriceb Member
    edited October 2015

Hey,
    I am Maurice (39) from the Netherlands. An experienced ABAP developer, my first step to take is to learn JavaScript in order to write the programs that suite my needs: Completely voice control my home, off course with physical backups...
    At the moment I only own some Hue lights which turn on when the sun sets. I am waiting for my Homey to see what the best equipment is to domotize my home.

• Sebo, a 36 year old domotica enthousiast living in Holland. I've used domoticz and Vera Edge in the past and I'm currently using Homeseer. I will start using Homey in slave mode for all my z-wave devices to see how easy it is to use and what the benefits will be over homeseer and other platforms. The bluetooth, infrared and 433Mhz cappability's can be used in conjunction with my current setup.

• Hi everybody. I'm joining you because I want to share knowlegde of all the project. Right now I hobiing with the nodo project with the rflink. Hopefely I'm able to the intergrade everything to the Homey.
    I'm going to learn the flashy dev tools for the Homey.

• Hi my name is Vincent (37) and i'm from the Netherlands. Worked as an IT support engineer for 14 years. I've been fiddling around with home automation for about the same period.
    I was a Windows guy but replaced everything with Apple.'
    Did a little bit of VB scripting a long time ago, looking to get some basic skills in Java. I still have the old x10 modules which I am slowly replacing. Early backer of the lifx Kickstarter project. I also have been using the nest thermostat for a very long time and nest protect more recently. I use some sonos speakers that I love. I have a Logitech ultimate hub (which was not very ultimate, and a waste of money) love gadgets and trying to get everything to work together has always been a big hassle. Hoping the homey can resolve that hassle I am happy to join the community.
    I have some ideas that may be interesting and I would love to discuss with you guys :D

• Hi All, I'm Willem (32) from the Netherlands. I work as Software Engineer and work with Java, Groovy, Vert.x, Gradle, JavaScript, NodeJS, AngularJS, Grunt, Gulp. I am interested in how I can extend the Homey with custom apps, speech interface as well as drivers.

• Hi :), I'm Floris (21) from the Netherlands. I recently bought my first house in Breda and I would love to use home automation for lights/shades/entertainment etc. I work as a Financial Consultant a.i. mostly focussing on Audit & Assurance.

• Hi all, my name is John Roording from The Netherlands. I work as CTO for Hesdo, a consumer electronics manufacturer with brands like Profoon, Alecto and Fysic and we are in process to get as many as possible RF devices to work with Homey to make it success for both.

• oertjeoertje Member
    edited December 2015

Hello, I'm Maaike (woman) from Rotterdam The Netherlands, 57 years, and I like domotica, have a Homewizard now but looking for something new.....Homey!
    I'm maybe smart sometimes and sometimes I knew nothing and understand nothing of it but I'm reading the forums and so things will work, so I hope for your support in difficult (for you easy) mathers.

• Hi all, 

I'm Jeroen from Eindhoven. I had heard of Homey earlier but was pretty convinced after Emile's talk at Autonom.it (I'm a sucker for impulse buying gadgets). I just bought two Lifx bulbs and have a few other things that I plan on connecting. 

I'd like to develop features for Homey as soon as I get my hands on it, hopefully I can find the free time. I'm good with web backend development (APIs) and I like tinkering with lower-level embedded and network stuff. 
  • Hello,
    My name is Marc. I just pre ordered my Homey. I am using Homewizard for quite a few years now. Just not happy with Kaku and limited programming options. My experience is in industrial automation and PLC programming. Looking forward to work with Z-wave and all the possibilities that Homey offers.

• Hey!

I'm Sebastiaan from the Netherlands. I live near Rotterdam and thats were I've got my job too.
    I'm a Electrical Service Technician in the industry and do all kinds of stuff like programming, high voltage switching, pneumatics, and so on...
    1,5 years ago my girl and I backed Homey with a Geek edition pledge. The reason why we did this, is the universal way everything can be combined with each other. Also the speech recognition was one of my interests.

In the summer of 2015 my girl and I joined the BBQ at Athom. It was a great evening with lots of talk. I like the team of Homey, there nice and understand the project really well. They work hard (almost day and night) to make Homey a success.

For now, I've got Homey standing underneath the television for 2 weeks now. Homey does not much because of the bugs, but the things it can do are fun. I know we need some patience. Because a project of this size with so many different ways of using Homey, is kinda difficult to manage.

I wish the developers all the best with creating apps, and I hope we can help Athom with reporting bugs so they can help us by fixing them.
  • Hi All,

My name is Annemarie and yesterday I started at Athom as Happiness Engineer!
    I hope you are happy because that means that I'm doing my job right ;).
    If you have any ideas about this great community or support in general please let me know!

• Annemarie said:
    Hi All,

If you have any ideas about this great community or support in general please let me know!

welcome! 
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Annemarie said:
    Hi All,

Hi Annemarie,

Wow, so you bring Happyness, welkom !!
    Well i think you have a wonderfull yob, and wish you much joy.
    Nice to see you @Athom team.

• Welcome Annemarie.

A Happy Homey. what els?

• And a moderator!
    Welcome and have fun ur self also!!
  • edited September 2016
    Welcome @Annemarie. My suggestions to start:
    1| Improve Support https://www.athom.com/en/support/. This is very generic.
    2| Add detailed How To's for Homey and for Homey apps including 3th party apps (description of the capabilities and tags of an app, setup and examples of flows per app & known limitations) 
    3| A library of homey flows
    4| ..
  • 3| A library of homey flows

wow  great idea
  • 3| A library of homey flows

wow  great idea
    Sharing / library is already on the list for Athom.com
    https://trello.com/c/4kfXReU0/8-share-a-flow
  • Hi @hnijveen,

Thanks for the suggestions.

1| Is high on my list. I'm writing new articles every day and I will release them this week, but if you have any specific suggestions I would love to hear them!

2| not sure what you mean by this. I'm working on a lot of HELP[?] text for the flowcards, but please explain more :) . If you want you can send me a DM

3| We are working on a long and a short term solution for this. Now I'm working on a list/system where you can see example flows and most used flows. Later on this will be more advanced and people will be able to share their own flows so other people can use them, like @GeurtDijker mentioned in his post. 

More suggestions regarding this topic are more than welcome in a DM or on slack  :)

Annemarie
  • I don't get it, why a DM? Is it supposed to be secret? Why on slack? Is it supposed to get lost in all other coversations going on there? This is a forum, structured in topics, shouldn't this be the place to communicate and discuss, help others and let others chip in with their ideas to the greater benefit of all?
  • I don't get it, why a DM? Is it supposed to be secret? Why on slack? Is it supposed to get lost in all other coversations going on there? This is a forum, structured in topics, shouldn't this be the place to communicate and discuss, help others and let others chip in with their ideas to the greater benefit of all?
    Cheers to that!
  • edited September 2016
    This is a forum, structured in topics
    So we discuss how  Athom needs to handle stuff in a "Introducing new members" topic? ;-)
  • Op alle slakken zout leggen.
    Ofcourse :) I meant: more if you want to give me some personal tips about how I should do things as a Happiness engineer. Nothing secret about that, but just so we don't have those tips here in the new member thread. 
  • And maybe because the other person (not Annemarie) could possibly prefer that?
    Either way, in my opinion, Annemarie is trying to keep it as easy as possible ("lage drempel" in Dutch)
  • Dusting off this topic, my name is Michel. I'm 43 (yeah, I know) and work for the NoSQL database company MarkLogic. I've majored in Information Technology and have always been interested in innovation and technology.

When I started my Home Automation adventure a few months ago, I almost bought an other solution. Then I stumbled upon Homey on Tweakers and fell in love directly because of the amount of open integration possibilities.

My first project will be controlling the radiators and create multiple comfort zones throughout the house. And perhaps trying to create some scheduling App while doing this, all though time to do that is a bit short ;)

Very curious to see where the Homey product is going, especially with the community backing it up.