This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed HUE

Philips Hue

edited April 2018 in Archive

Hi,

Do Philips Hue lights work with of without bridge?

Thanks

Greetz,

Gerard

Tagged:

Comments

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited September 2015

I hope they eliminate the bridge asap, or I need a good workaround for me and my prospects for the max. 50 lights limit Philips introduced.

@Emile: will Homey support connecting to 2 bridges? That would be a good workaround.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Yes, Homey supports connecting to unlimited Philips Hue bridges

• Athomey said:
    I hope they eliminate the bridge asap, or I need a good workaround for me and my prospects for the max. 50 lights limit Philips introduced.

@Emile: will Homey support connecting to 2 bridges? That would be a good workaround.

I wouldn't want to use it without the bridge actually. When you eliminate it, all other apps will cease to function...

• Fire69 said:

Athomey said:

I wouldn't want to use it without the bridge actually. When you eliminate it, all other apps will cease to function...

Totally agree, unless you can pair the Homey with 3th party apps?

• Which apps/functionalities are you going to lose?

• Any app from App/Play/Windows Store would not work anymore.
    For example, Hue Disco or something like that.

• I know!
    But on the other side it creates opportunities for homey apps.
    Also it a choice to an homey owner, I only used the HUE app for the home screen widget. If homey has such a feature, I don't need the HUE app anymore.

• True.
    Except I never used the official app (except for firmware updates) because I find it is totally useless. :)

• Just a heads up that Philips have announced a new version of the bridge to be Apple HomeKit compatible. I don't know the details yet but I read on Twitter that an upgrade deal will be available starting this November.

• In short; the new bridge is required for Siri, €60,- and a discount of 33% for owners of the first version of the bridge when ordered from the Philips Hue online shop between 1 nov and 31 dec.

• I dont see the added value for now. For speech I'll use Homey and Philips will keep updating the old bridge. So maybe later. I'd rather spend my money on something that adds value.

• Isn't "Gewoon omdat het kan" not enough added value? :)

• It was... And then i got kids, a girlfriend (not in that order ;-) ) and now i have to make choices. But yes, because we can, for me is a valid argument. Just cant use it anymore.

• Will Homey be able to function as a receiver? I don't have any Hue hardware but I do have an ambilight tv that is able to control Hue lamps.
    I would like to use that signal to let Homey controll the colour of my led strings :)

• Joolee said:
    Will Homey be able to function as a receiver? I don't have any Hue hardware but I do have an ambilight tv that is able to control Hue lamps.
    I would like to use that signal to let Homey controll the colour of my led strings :)

That's an interesting idea. If Homey can receive ambilight color info, Homey could control other rgb lights as ambilight. I don't she why homey couldn't be a receiver. Unfortunately, the delay will probably be significant.

• @emile , can you help me with the following two questions?

First, I'm planning on combining kaku switches and hue bulbs/ledstrips.
    Lets say I want to turn off the livingroom lights and say "hey homey, livingroom lights off" then I'm assuming homey will switch both the hue bulb and the kaku switch off.
    But that way if my wife wants to turn them on again without asking homey she would have to click the kaku switch on the wall and turn the hue bulb on through either the homey app or hue app, is that correct?
    Is there a way to let homey just turn off the kaku switch and ignore the hue bulb?
    Can this for instance be done by putting the hue bulbs a virtual room named "hue" so that the "livingroom lights off" command only adresses the kaku switches?
    And if I want to change the hue I just adress the actual name of the bulb.
    Or am I overthinking this?

And second, is the version 2 hue bridge also supported?

Thanks!

• You are overthinking it. :)
    If you 'program' Homey to just turn of the Kaku-switch (why would it turn of both the switch and the Hue?) then your wife can turn it back on with the switch.
    By the way, if you would turn both off, that's not a problem either. If Hue looses power, when the power is restored, it turns on white and at full power.

• Aaah, didn't know about the power restoration , don't own any hues yet :) The reason I asked is because of the intelligence of homey. It knows what lights are in which room. Therefore I assumed it would turn everthing off if I tell it to switch off the lights. But if switching the kaku restores the hue's previous setting that's great. On a (budgetairy) sidenote, do you think that would also work with mi light? Assuming someone is able/willing to create an app of course.

• You can make separate scenarios if you like. 'Homey, lights on' will turn both hue and kaku on, 'Homey, hue on' will only turn hue lights on, etc. Or, as in the more complex example, 'Homey, TV on' will turn KaKu off, Hue to dimmed state and warm color, receiver on, TV on and switch the cable/satbox to a TV channelel.

• @ReneBoeije , yes I know but I want to try to limit the number of speech-driven flows to up the WAF ;)
    I want to avoid gettings calls at work because the lights don't go on because she asks voor "woonkamerverlichting" in stead of "woonkamerlicht". While I'm writing this I'm thinking: can you add both? @emile is it possible to create a flow with "if you speak woonkamerlicht aan" OR "if you speak woonkamerverlichting aan" turn on light x?
    Sorry for the dutch words btw, couldn't think of the english variants.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

Yes, you can create flows like that very easily :)

• Cool! The WAF just went up a couple of notches :)
    Thx!

• Does homey also support the living colors lights (pre hue lights)?

• I think it depends on the version of the living colors. Besides if you can control it through the bridge and the hue-app from philips, i think it should work. I myself have 2 living colours that i can control through the hue-app, but have to see until my homey will arrive next year. I'm confident it will :-)

• p0ntsp0nts Member
    edited December 2015

Damnn, was about to buy the osram garden lights... I guess I should add a osram bridge for de garden then ...

If i knew this before buying my hue bridge, i would have never bought it

• As for me, just updated some parts of my house with Philips Hue, and also integrated some Osrams because of the E14 size fitting, and just after the first Update they where disconnected, I have already send an mail to Philips support in NL, and if they are not intending to undo these changes, than The product which was bought with this functionality no longer works as advertised, and call that "broken". so also requested a RMA number to retour all Hue products recently purchased...

In the meantime I woud like to ask @Emile >> Homey connects to the Hue bridge and was trough this way also be able to controll other brands like GE, Osram, which where connected to the Hue Bridge ?! As this is no longer the case, are we back at the position that we need different brand bridges and implement these into Homey separately ? <<

So again at the point to reconsider which lighting to buy for my home :-) (proof again that big corporations do not concern their customers but only politics) we should be lucky to Have Athom here !!

• A little bit more info here: http://www.developers.meethue.com/documentation/friends-hue-update

While it can be a political descission to block other brands, there something to say for it. This is the moment for third parties to jump in and take over control.

But I'm not sure Homey wants to: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/4653/#Comment_4653

Basicly for the same reason Philips is dropping support for devices outside their control....

This discussion has been closed.