This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

0.8.39 experimental

Comments

• JulianJulian Member
    Well, it is KAKU so getting the command twice is -in my case- no problem. Just tried it with my custom speech flow disabled and that also works (all my lights in the living room go on, understood that could be an issue that it only takes part of the lights).
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
     things that can be caused by the beta-phase of Homey, isn't it?
    Could you explain why users of a product in Beta(-phase) should not expect a stable system?
  • EvertorNEvertorN Member
    edited July 2016
    MarcoF said:
     things that can be caused by the beta-phase of Homey, isn't it?
    Could you explain why users of a product in Beta(-phase) should not expect a stable system?
    Wikipedia:

Beta

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware.[2] Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta releaseand this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. Beta version software is often useful for demonstrations and previews within an organization and to prospective customers. Some developers refer to this stage as a previewpreview releaseprototypetechnical preview / technology preview (TP),[3] or early access. Some software is kept in perpetual beta, where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a firm "final" release.

And yes I know that Gmail has had a beta-label even when it was fully functional, but they are an exception to the rule. The above description is pretty much what you can expect from Homey at this point in time. If you can't deal with this, then yes, to use your words: PTP. But keep it pulled until athom releases a 1.xx version

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited July 2016
    Not a answer to my question. 
    Bugs ok, but I asked why a beta system is marked as unstable/unreliable. 

And these unpredictable issues could later have a great impact on the whole platform/acceptance/UX/etc. 

And as said I keep it unplugged until the next big update loses its experimental tag.

• KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited July 2016
    MarcoF said:
    Not a answer to my question. 
    Bugs ok, but I asked why a beta system is marked as unstable. 

And these unpredictable issues could later have a great impact on the whole platform/acceptance/UX/etc. 

Because a beta system can have bugs, and bugs can lead to an unstable system? Do you think the only bugs that exist are wrong textboxes and faulty colours or what?
    A beta system is not by definition marked as unstable, but it's very common to see an unstable beta system.

Those unpredictable issues now will not have a big impact on the whole platform/acceptance/UX/etc. Google and Facebook were full of bugs in their first years after creation as well.
  • Athom just simply can't predict how things will work out as they don't have the years of experience which Apple, Google, Microsoft etc have.
    Athom is now learning how to do thing right and sometimes it needs an complete re-write (like Z-Wave and some 433 apps).
    Plus these large companies have a team of tens, maybe even hundreds of testers which are using the beta or even alpha versions.
    And still do these companies have bugs. Minor but still: bugs.
  • Update: I acquired some old-style KaKu plugs and these work! My "recent" KaKu-plug still does not respond. So still not sure if that one suddenly broke or that Homey does not understand the new-style anymore. Given the other comments, my guess is on the first. I'll have to find a remote to test.
  • I received my Homey today, its great allthough some things dont work:
    - time is set wrong, timezone is correct but system time is 2 hours early.
    - i cannot get it to activate on my voice, except for when using mobile.
    - i made a flow with an if "starts listening" and then led ring effect but nothing happens when using phone voice.

Also i have a question about the features. Will it be possible to control a philips livingcolors first edition? It is 2,4 ghz, so it should be possible right?

Thanks in advance. Nick
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    OK, "I'm back again and again broke my promise not to power up before the next stable".... 

I decided to Power up homey again awaiting on the Kaku and major firmware update. This because the holiday started and I have some extra time. Also I'm very curious to see what's going to happen with and after the big update. 
  • Welcome back!
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited July 2016
    NPeters said:
    I received my Homey today, its great allthough some things dont work:
    - i made a flow with an if "starts listening" and then led ring effect but nothing happens when using phone voice.

Also i have a question about the features. Will it be possible to control a philips livingcolors first edition? It is 2,4 ghz, so it should be possible right?

Thanks in advance. Nick
    Hello Nick, congrats on receiving your Homey.

1. Time - I had the exact same issue for several weeks. Emailed support about it, but Athom didn't have a solution. Eventually, after pulling the plug on Homey and restarting it a couple of times, suddenly the time was correct.

2. Yeah, voice recognition isn't very good at the moment. Athom are aware of it and are working on improvements, but it may still take a while before anything is released in that field. Patience is the only option...

3. I don't think the "Homey starts listening" flow works (or is even intended to work) on the phone... because the status of "homey is listening" never really happens... it's the phone app that starts listening, and that sends the results to Homey.

As for the Philips LivingColors... see this thread for some additional info...

I hope that helps.

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    The time difference is normal, it just shows you the time for gmt+0 or Zulu. That's why there is a z shown behind the time. 
    There should be a 'for humans'  or something like that that shows it correctly. 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited July 2016
    Good point about the time... I was assuming he had the same issue that I had have (in my case, the time really was is incorrect, at one stage it was a difference of half an hour!), but yeah, those 2 hours could well be that he was looking at the GMT0 field.

[Edit] I just noticed that in my particular case, the problem is back, and it's worse than ever:
    This screenshot was taken at 09:13 CET this morning (Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - and as you can see, my timezone says Europe/Amsterdam), but the time -and even the date- is completely off:

• @Bumblez did you set you're location on manual?
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Different location would result in a different timezone with a max offset of -12 till +14 hours.
    In his case its a difference of almost  2 months.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited July 2016
    mbalik79 said:
    @Bumblez did you set you're location on manual?
    No, my location is set to automatic... and according to the image on the map, it's determined at the correct location inside the Netherlands. And MarcoF is right, that could account for a difference of a couple of (whole) hours, but not almost 2 months
  • Just got my Homey. First the LED ring worked, then the Homey automaticly updated and now only a quarter of the LED ring works...  (0.8.39

https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/724
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Just got my Homey. First the LED ring worked, then the Homey automaticly updated and now only a quarter of the LED ring works...  (0.8.39

https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/724
    support@athom.com
  • Bumblez said:
    NPeters said:
    I received my Homey today, its great allthough some things dont work:

Thanks in advance. Nick
    Hello Nick, congrats on receiving your Homey.

1. Time - I had the exact same issue for several weeks. Emailed support about it, but Athom didn't have a solution. Eventually, after pulling the plug on Homey and restarting it a couple of times, suddenly the time was correct.

2. Yeah, voice recognition isn't very good at the moment. Athom are aware of it and are working on improvements, but it may still take a while before anything is released in that field. Patience is the only option...

3. I don't think the "Homey starts listening" flow works (or is even intended to work) on the phone... because the status of "homey is listening" never really happens... it's the phone app that starts listening, and that sends the results to Homey.

As for the Philips LivingColors... see this thread for some additional info...

I hope that helps.

The time is a big issue if you make flows depend on it. I hope Athom can fix this soon.
    Do you know when Homey is supposed to react? do i need to say hey homey?

Thanks for your response!
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Say, OK Homey, and then what you want it to do
    You can check what homey heard @ ...local ip homey ..../manager/speech-input/

Does this help??

• I also have problems with speech recognition. When I check the speech-input I see frases I would never have thought it would come up with. Even words that sound alike for everybody in the room Homey thinks are different.

Google now has opened it's speech recognition API. Perhaps worth a look at because when I talk to my Android words come out right almmost all of the time. In contrast to Homey where it's wrong most of the times.

https://cloud.google.com/speech/
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I also have problems with speech recognition. When I check the speech-input I see frases I would never have thought it would come up with. Even words that sound alike for everybody in the room Homey thinks are different.

Google now has opened it's speech recognition API. Perhaps worth a look at because when I talk to my Android words come out right almmost all of the time. In contrast to Homey where it's wrong most of the times.

https://cloud.google.com/speech/
    Athom is already experimenting with Googles Speech API.
    The Android App also uses the same Speech API/Service as Homey itself and the IOS App.

The reason that the Android app is getting better results is because the microphone of your Phone is much better calibrated then Homey's Mics(yes multiple).

About 2-3 month ago Athom stated the are looking at better mic calibration (background/noise cancelling/filtering), but until now its not working as expected (yes yes its beta so nothing to expect....Only after 2,5 years development I(!) was expecting a bit more of speech :) )
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited July 2016
    MarcoF said:

The reason that the Android app is getting better results is because the microphone of your Phone is much better calibrated then Homey's Mics(yes multiple).

Actually, the main reason why the Android app on your phone is getting better results, is because your phone is usually a lot closer to your mouth than the Homey is. Try placing your phone next to your Homey, take a few steps back, and then test if speech recognition is still as good...
  • any update's on slack for tomorrow?
  • Say, OK Homey, and then what you want it to do
    You can check what homey heard @ ...local Thahomey ..../manager/speech-input/

Does this help??

Thank you, OK Homey works. Speach recognition is not ideal, but it works (sometimes).

For the time problem I made a screenshot:

• After a reboot the time is correct b.t.w. I hope this is permanent, if i turn on the thermostat when it's 7 o clock and the time changes.. and it should go off when it's 8 o clock, it can happen the thermostat is on for the whole day.
  • NPeters said:
    After a reboot the time is correct b.t.w. I hope this is permanent...
    I hope so too, for you. In my case, it clearly wasn't... every time I power off Homey and turn it back on, I get different results.
  • NPetersNPeters Member
    edited July 2016
    Now i have a new problem, a small part of the led ring stays white and also doesnt pulse or change with rainbow.

Also flows based on sunset, sunrise and buienradar do not work. But i will contact athom for these problems.
  • Solution nummer 1: PTP (Pull The Plug)

If it doesn't work contact Athom. Because to me it sounds like a hardware problem with the led ring. But that's just my 2 cents