This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Traffic app

p0ntsp0nts Member
edited September 2015 in Archive

Would be fun if someone would create an app where you are able to add your favorite highway numbers, which for example you ride every day to work and ask homey if there is traffic on any of them on your way out.

Q(user): Hey Homey, how is the traffic?

A(homey): There seems to be a total of 5 KM traffic on your way to work, you might want to change your route.

And maybe add a little more intelligence so the Homey will ask who you are, which allow multiple people to use the same app with different routes. (Emile told us in another topic that we are able to answer certain questions from the homey with either yes or no, this allow us to have allot more options like below)

Q(homey): Are you Piet?

A(user): Yes

A(homey): There seems to be a total of 5 KM traffic on your way to work, you might want to change your route.

Q(homey): Are you Piet?

A(user): No

Q(homey): Are you Henk?

A(user): Yes

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

That's a good idea! As for the user part, one of the first big updates will be multi-user support, so Homey know's who's talking :-)

• Emile said:
    That's a good idea! As for the user part, one of the first big updates will be multi-user support, so Homey know's who's talking :-)

That's awesome, should minimise the work.
    I will try and work on this one myself, but there might be someone that will be faster than me because I will probably be able to do this in January hehe.

• It would be nice if it were connected to Google.
    Google knows where I work, so asking the question; "When do I have to leave to be at work at 0800?" or something similar, would be nice. Don't know if that is feasible though..

• kimror said:
    It would be nice if it were connected to Google.
    Google knows where I work, so asking the question; "When do I have to leave to be at work at 0800?" or something similar, would be nice. Don't know if that is feasible though..

Thats nice yeah

VID (Netherlands) have something similar in their phone app, it shows how long it will take to drive to work.

https://vid.nl/app.html

It seems that VID is not providing API access to any information on their website tho.

• The first challenge will be to find a provider with traffic with an open API.

I know there are several apps in the Google Play store who access your location history (if Google Now is enabled, location history is automatically enabled). It's a long shot but maybe possible to do something with that.

@Emile, would it be technically possible, on Homey, to let a app analyse downloaded data and locally determine/guess the work location?

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

RobinVanKekem said:
    @Emile, would it be technically possible, on Homey, to let a app analyse downloaded data and locally determine/guess the work location?

Which downloaded data do you want to analyze? :-) You could also just select your work location in a settings panel though, haha.

• That of Google History for example.
    A setting would be better though, haha

This discussion has been closed.